Iwoooooooooooobiiiii!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Iwoooooooooooobiiiii!

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:He was fantastic. Best game in an Arsenal shirt.
Agreed that he was great. I still think the sky is his limits, and he already has the goods. He appears too tentative, almost as if afraid to make mistakes. I expect him to be doing the kind of productive forward dribbles like Wilshere was doing today. Iwoby should be one of the top stars of the team. Calm do and do like King Kanuuuuuu
The boy has everything. Wenger has developed him perfectly. He has had his detractors this season at the Emirates, but they are in the tiny minority and they are unfair.

A friend who seats next to me says, a lot of his detractors are also frustrated at an incredibly talented boy who needs a bit of tough love. They think he is too soft and needs to toughen up especially mentally. They point to Niles and say, why can he not fight like him.

I point to the different roles he has played in the team this season for a young player. I give examples of how Wenger developed many a young player using the same system.

I saw Iwobi the youth player play different roles esp when Wenger took him under his guidance. I always remember Wenger instructing the youth team coaches to play him as a striker. The key here was, Iwobi was training with the strikers in the senior squad. Henry later worked with him on his finishing, the idea was to remove his tendency to snatch at chances. Iwobi got a few goals as a strikers and was quite decent too. But we all saw the benefit when he was moved to his preferred and best role at number 10. Suddenly Arsenal had a youth number 10 that scores as well as creates chances. Iwobi best 2 positions are as Wide left play maker cutting in field like Pires or Number 10. Some now call it attacking CM.

Iwobi is not as comfortable recieving the ball towards the right. A major weakness in his game that needed to be worked on. His body shape is closed, meaning his first touch is often back inside. It feels like the angles are never right. He never has a natural movement when he receives the ball on that side. He is much better recieving on the left or facing goal. I read a Wenger coaching manual and he described players preferring one side of the pitch to another as having 'preferential vision' (see the image below). Have a look at how Wenger described it with Pires.

Wenger's tries to expand the vision of young players by playing them on the side they have unpreferred vision and by working on set exercises in training to improve their vision. I have seen and noticed the improvements he has made on that side. What this has done is make Iwobi a player that can now operate across the attacking line. This obviously make it more difficult for Coaches to set defensive schemes against him. It obviously makes it very difficult to mark him out of games. He must continue to improve his game.

He did not like Wide Right play maker or deeper from the right drifting into midfield. But he has improved so much in that wide playmaker role, I will argue he now enjoys it. He plays the latter of the 2 roles on the right side better. He has played all 4 roles in the team this season. What all this has served is make him a much improved player in a Season which has been his toughest. He will be going to the WC full of confidence and it will be to our benefit.

Finally, I thought Wenger missed a trick against Athletico Madrid. Iwobi was the weapon he needed. Wenger said he did not play Iwobi because he did not feel his confidence levels where high enough. I respect the man a lot because even at his moment of need, he was more particular about protecting a young player for his career. But, I saw Iwobi play at ManU and thought to myself, Wenger you should have played him.
Chai... see Betta analysis! I need to cut down on Amala and gbegiri. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Agreed that he was great. I still think the sky is his limits, and he already has the goods. He appears too tentative, almost as if afraid to make mistakes. I expect him to be doing the kind of productive forward dribbles like Wilshere was doing today. Iwoby should be one of the top stars of the team. Calm do and do like King Kanuuuuuu
The boy has everything. Wenger has developed him perfectly. He has had his detractors this season at the Emirates, but they are in the tiny minority and they are unfair.

A friend who seats next to me says, a lot of his detractors are also frustrated at an incredibly talented boy who needs a bit of tough love. They think he is too soft and needs to toughen up especially mentally. They point to Niles and say, why can he not fight like him.

I point to the different roles he has played in the team this season for a young player. I give examples of how Wenger developed many a young player using the same system.

I saw Iwobi the youth player play different roles esp when Wenger took him under his guidance. I always remember Wenger instructing the youth team coaches to play him as a striker. The key here was, Iwobi was training with the strikers in the senior squad. Henry later worked with him on his finishing, the idea was to remove his tendency to snatch at chances. Iwobi got a few goals as a strikers and was quite decent too. But we all saw the benefit when he was moved to his preferred and best role at number 10. Suddenly Arsenal had a youth number 10 that scores as well as creates chances. Iwobi best 2 positions are as Wide left play maker cutting in field like Pires or Number 10. Some now call it attacking CM.

Iwobi is not as comfortable recieving the ball towards the right. A major weakness in his game that needed to be worked on. His body shape is closed, meaning his first touch is often back inside. It feels like the angles are never right. He never has a natural movement when he receives the ball on that side. He is much better recieving on the left or facing goal. I read a Wenger coaching manual and he described players preferring one side of the pitch to another as having 'preferential vision' (see the image below). Have a look at how Wenger described it with Pires.

Wenger's tries to expand the vision of young players by playing them on the side they have unpreferred vision and by working on set exercises in training to improve their vision. I have seen and noticed the improvements he has made on that side. What this has done is make Iwobi a player that can now operate across the attacking line. This obviously make it more difficult for Coaches to set defensive schemes against him. It obviously makes it very difficult to mark him out of games. He must continue to improve his game.

He did not like Wide Right play maker or deeper from the right drifting into midfield. But he has improved so much in that wide playmaker role, I will argue he now enjoys it. He plays the latter of the 2 roles on the right side better. He has played all 4 roles in the team this season. What all this has served is make him a much improved player in a Season which has been his toughest. He will be going to the WC full of confidence and it will be to our benefit.

Finally, I thought Wenger missed a trick against Athletico Madrid. Iwobi was the weapon he needed. Wenger said he did not play Iwobi because he did not feel his confidence levels where high enough. I respect the man a lot because even at his moment of need, he was more particular about protecting a young player for his career. But, I saw Iwobi play at ManU and thought to myself, Wenger you should have played him.
Waffi - thank you for this perspective. I learned something new and i really enjoyed it. Thank you
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Iwobi by numbers:

Iwobi v Burnley:
103 touches
91 passes
92% accuracy
1 goal plus 3 pre-assists (i.e. the key pass that led to the assist)

He drifted into little pockets of space higher up and took the ball in dangerous areas, he was able to turn and face goal, and was often fulcrum to attacks.

Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

icee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Waffi - thank you for this perspective. I learned something new and i really enjoyed it. Thank you
Thanks too for your response.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

that video from that kelechi :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: bobo took no prisoners
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

He played really well but Burnleys defending was also one kind, giving all types of space and time on the ball. But we know what our boy can do, just hope he can continue showing it in a good team like Arseanal in a consistent manner so it builds his confidence.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

He is good with the ball at his feet but needs to work on his finishing and consistency.

His best position is a #10, not a winger and should play as such for us in the WC competing with Mikel or moving Mikel into CM.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

TheHitman47 wrote:He is good with the ball at his feet but needs to work on his finishing and consistency.

His best position is a #10, not a winger and should play as such for us in the WC competing with Mikel or moving Mikel into CM.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote:He is good with the ball at his feet but needs to work on his finishing and consistency.

Iwobi is Nigeria's true out and out #10. I think playing him in RW plays him too narrow and hurts us when we are trying to play expansively.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Bigpokey24 wrote:that video from that kelechi :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: bobo took no prisoners

The truth is the truth, and he told the truth.
Wilshire gets amazing slack from Arsenal fans that Alex can only dream of.

When Wilshire screws up, nobody says pim. When Alex screws up, we no go hear word.
The hypocricy and double standards by some so called fans is truly stunning...
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

TheHitman47 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:

Iwobi is Nigeria's true out and out #10. I think playing him in RW plays him too narrow and hurts us when we are trying to play expansively.
He will be losing too many balls there though. Probably why he’s played out wide.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I saw Iwobi the youth player play different roles esp when Wenger took him under his guidance. I always remember Wenger instructing the youth team coaches to play him as a striker. The key here was, Iwobi was training with the strikers in the senior squad. Henry later worked with him on his finishing, the idea was to remove his tendency to snatch at chances. Iwobi got a few goals as a strikers and was quite decent too. But we all saw the benefit when he was moved to his preferred and best role at number 10. Suddenly Arsenal had a youth number 10 that scores as well as creates chances. Iwobi best 2 positions are as Wide left play maker cutting in field like Pires or Number 10. Some now call it attacking CM. Yesterday he actually played in a right CM role in a 4-14-1 formation. This meant he played higher and between-the-lines. It plays to his strengths and abilities. At deeper, has less impact.

Waffi, thanks for the analysis. This is something I have observed, but could not quite articulate nor properly lay my finger on it. This "flaw" makes him look notoriously one-legged, which he is not, so it baffled me even more.

PS* now that your Oga Wenger is going, I am hoping we can look forward to more insightful and OBJECTIVE analyses from you :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: Jus no follow Wenger go Tottenham o, as you don dey drop hints say na there ya barber dey....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

I’ve repeated it here and on the arsenal page that this lad is wasted out on the flanks but some Mugus will argue about the Friendly vs Argentina and the final qualifying game ....

To get the best out of Alex you need to put two defensive minded midfielders behind him and give him the freedoms to focus on the attacking end ... Then you will see the true “Ojiogwu”
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

A middle trio of Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi against say Iceland may be what the doctor ordered. I wouldn't recommend such against Argentina or Croatia.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

charlie wrote:Kelechi in fine form defending our boy
[/video]

LOl some bald headed fool with some mozu! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

chief nfachairman wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:He is our undisputed backup to Mikel in the AM role.

He played very well today in that position. In fact there are upsides to his game that Mikel does not possess like his forward drive and speed. He also releases the ball much quicker than Mikel, but overall Mikel is a more polished player.

I don't know why people are looking to obscure players and those playing at low levels for an AM.

IWOBI AND MIKEL are our 2 AM, and you don't need more than 2 in a squad.

He is a starter, playing alongside Mikel.
Yes I know, but he usually starts out wide.

God forbid anything happen to Mikel or should he get tired, Iwobi should fill in as AM.

Or should Rohr need Mikel to play further back , Iwobi is the AM.

Nacho does not work in that position. He may have to settle for the super sub role.

2 things are clear:
1. Etebo is back up to MIkel in the AM position.
2. Iwobi is currently SEs LW/LM, and this is probably becuase ROhr has not seen any player better than or as good as Iwobi in that position.

if Rohr gets a deserving LW/LM, iwobi would be automatically moved to the AM, Etebo would then be in contention to challenge ONazi and Joel Obi for the CM role. This would mean Agu woud not make the final list bcos ROhr would go with 6 midfielders (ndidi, ogu, joel, onazi, mikel, iwobi).and an extra space would be opened in the attack.
And what happens to Mikel?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Chai... see Betta analysis! I need to cut down on Amala and gbegiri. :clap: :clap: :clap:
No need.
Just make sure that from today, you enter any restaurant with your left side since you have right 'preferential vision'.
That way, na only rice and stew you go dey see. No bokotor, no 'roundabout', no meat sef. :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

No need.
Just make sure that from today, you enter any restaurant with your left side since you have right 'preferential vision'.
That way, na only rice and stew you go dey see. No bokotor, no 'roundabout', no meat sef. :idea:

There should be a Nigerian dictionary :lol:

Bros, you care to translate?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

ANC wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

No need.

There should be a Nigerian dictionary :lol:

Bros, you care to translate?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

icee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Kpom!

Although I slightly suspect the hidden intention is to make us all miss Monsieur Wenger. :sneaky:

Waffi e nor go work :taunt: :D
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

cchinukw wrote:
icee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Kpom!

Although I slightly suspect the hidden intention is to make us all miss Monsieur Wenger. :sneaky:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My bro, na we Nigerians go miss Wenger pass. For years I have gone to youth team games. The way the man dey with us, you have to see to believe. Every talented young Nigerian has been offered more elsewhere but the parents will not take the money because of the absolute faith the have in the man.

Alex Iwobi parents turned down Roman's money because, like every Nigerian parent with a talent child at Arsenal, they believed if their child was talented and good enough, Wenger will give them their chance.

Wenger attended every youth team game, so long as Europe did not get in the way. His presence ensured he was on top of youth development and he knew every youth player. Wenger also took his time to speak to the parents about their son and more. The parents loved him for this.

Since his announcement it has been like a wake there.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Waffiman wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
icee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Kpom!

My bro, na we Nigerians go miss Wenger pass. For years I have gone to youth team games. The way the man dey with us, you have to see to believe. Every talented young Nigerian has been offered more elsewhere but the parents will not take the money because of the absolute faith the have in the man.

Alex Iwobi parents turned down Roman's money because, like every Nigerian parent with a talent child at Arsenal, they believed if their child was talented and good enough, Wenger will give them their chance.

Wenger attended every youth team game, so long as Europe did not get in the way. His presence ensured he was on top of youth development and he knew every youth player. Wenger also took his time to speak to the parents about their son and more. The parents loved him for this.

Maybe he should become the Director of Youth Development then, and U-something Coach.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
icee wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Kpom!

Maybe he should become the Director of Youth Development then, and U-something Coach.
Maybe he will return and it will be like signing a new Coach. :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: