Rohr: With discipline we can succeed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pens
Egg
Egg

Post by pens »

Sports By: Emmanuel Okogba
Monday, May 7, 2018

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr listed that he doesn't have star players who can turn a game on its head, but with team and tactical discipline, the Eagles can make a head way at the FIFA World Cup tournament starting next month.

Rohr who has played three top notched friendlies with Argentina, Poland and Serbia said those matches have helped a lot in improving the team. ''In the team we are working on improving all segments of the game, only if you have everything you need, you can succeed in today's football.

''I said already, today I do not have a lot of stars, but we want to have a big team with a winning mentality, great discipline in the field and beyond, and a great deal of mutual solidarity and communion. This is the way to success.'' The Super Eagles came from two goals down to beat Argentina 4-2 in Krasnodar last November before a hard-fought 1-0 win over Poland followed by a 2-0 loss to Serbia in London in March.

''Friendlies are completely different from the matches at the mundial. Friendly games are like an experiment in the lab, while matches in the World Cup are realistic, real life,'' Rohr explained to Sportske Novosti.

''I do not bother too much of the victories and defeats in the preparatory games, we are focused on building the best teams for the World Cup.''

http://odili.net/news/source/2018/may/7/323.html
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr: With discipline we can succeed

Post by 9jaMan »

pens wrote:Rohr: With discipline we can succeed
Monday, May 7, 2018

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr listed that he doesn't have star players who can turn a game on its head, but with team and tactical discipline, the Eagles can make a head way at the FIFA World Cup tournament starting next month.

Rohr who has played three top notched friendlies with Argentina, Poland and Serbia said those matches have helped a lot in improving the team. ''In the team we are working on improving all segments of the game, only if you have everything you need, you can succeed in today's football.

''I said already, today I do not have a lot of stars, but we want to have a big team with a winning mentality, great discipline in the field and beyond, and a great deal of mutual solidarity and communion. This is the way to success.'' The Super Eagles came from two goals down to beat Argentina 4-2 in Krasnodar last November before a hard-fought 1-0 win over Poland followed by a 2-0 loss to Serbia in London in March.

''Friendlies are completely different from the matches at the mundial. Friendly games are like an experiment in the lab, while matches in the World Cup are realistic, real life,'' Rohr explained to Sportske Novosti.

''I do not bother too much of the victories and defeats in the preparatory games, we are focused on building the best teams for the World Cup.''

This daft Rohr will not give new talented players a chance and he will continue with this lie that we don't have star players so he can take his headless chicken crew to the WC. Onyekuru was on fire and Rohr ignored him. Nonsense. If Victor Moses gets suspended for a game or is unavailable to play the current SE is as good as Lesotho
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

9jaMan wrote:
Monday, May 7, 2018

This daft Rohr will not give new talented players a chance and he will continue with this lie that we don't have star players so he can take his headless chicken crew to the WC. Onyekuru was on fire and Rohr ignored him. Nonsense. If Victor Moses gets suspended for a game or is unavailable to play the current SE is as good as Lesotho
Obamacare is still available. Sign up and get free rehab! :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

9jaMan wrote:
Monday, May 7, 2018

:shock: :shock: :shock: Lesotho? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr listed that he doesn't have star players who can turn a game on its head,
but
with team and tactical discipline, the Eagles can make a head way at the FIFA World Cup tournament...

The highlighted is exactly what I have always stressed. The current WC champs, Germany, have very few household
names when they won. With team discipline and selfless play they were able to get to the top. I believe the SE can go
far if they adopt the ideas coach Rohr is promoting.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Odas wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
Monday, May 7, 2018

:shock: :shock: :shock: Lesotho? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Such insult, no respect for our team.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

joao wrote:Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr listed that he doesn't have star players who can turn a game on its head,
but
with team and tactical discipline, the Eagles can make a head way at the FIFA World Cup tournament...

The highlighted is exactly what I have always stressed. The current WC champs, Germany, have very few household
names when they won. With team discipline and selfless play they were able to get to the top. I believe the SE can go
I think we would all know a lot of them from Ozil, to Khedira, Kroos, Boateng, Lahm, Klose, Podolski, Neuer, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Metersacker etc...pretty well known playing at the highest levels club-wise...we don't have this talent and discipline alone can't get you a world cup. Iran were very disciplined at the last world cup, but couldn't get out of the group stage, you need a s-ton more than that!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Virtually all the teams at the World Cup have team and tactical discipline. The difference lies in the team that executes its tactics and strategies better AND the teams with the quality players that can turn a game. Considering most of the players are professionals, it is usually the team with that X factor that can advance. Little wonder the likes of Brazil, Germany,France, Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Belgium are rated higher to win the World Cup than the others. However, we are a always a great tournament team. A lot lies on us winning our first match considering the youth of our team and the lack of real star-quality players (bar Victor Moses and Mikel). May the Super Eagles soar in Russia.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

we need to define what it means to "succeed" at the WC. Minimum goal?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Obong wrote:Virtually all the teams at the World Cup have team and tactical discipline. The difference lies in the team that executes its tactics and strategies better AND the teams with the quality players that can turn a game. Considering most of the players are professionals, it is usually the team with that X factor that can advance. Little wonder the likes of Brazil, Germany,France, Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Belgium are rated higher to win the World Cup than the others. However, we are a always a great tournament team. A lot lies on us winning our first match considering the youth of our team and the lack of real star-quality players (bar Victor Moses and Mikel). May the Super Eagles soar in Russia.
I guess the question is what is the definition of success or soaring? To me getting out of the group stage is a soar. With the team we have thats not a certainty and anything after that is a bonus. People mentioning us and Germany in the same vein and we can win the cup to me are nothing short of delusional.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Strategy without the discipline to conform with simple instructions is as good as having none.
In the last WC Ghana could have surprised Germany in the group stages, but for the bone headed
decision of players to go it alone when better options are available. Lack of team discipline is the bane
of most African teams, with individuals playing as if they are representing themselves instead of the
team. Many herein will even argue that individual show of talent trumps team play. And we wonder
why we have not been able to truly impress at the world cup.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Obong wrote:Virtually all the teams at the World Cup have team and tactical discipline. The difference lies in the team that executes its tactics and strategies better AND the teams with the quality players that can turn a game. Considering most of the players are professionals, it is usually the team with that X factor that can advance. Little wonder the likes of Brazil, Germany,France, Spain, Argentina, Portugal and Belgium are rated higher to win the World Cup than the others. However, we are a always a great tournament team. A lot lies on us winning our first match considering the youth of our team and the lack of real star-quality players (bar Victor Moses and Mikel). May the Super Eagles soar in Russia.
Chief Obong, we will show Croatia Pepper when the time comes. Just wait and see and, hence we will advance to the next stage. I am so certain about it I advice you take my statement to the BANK and CASH it. :D :D :D
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Odas wrote:
Chief Obong, we will show Croatia Pepper when the time comes. Just wait and see and, hence we will advance to the next stage. I am so certain about it I advice you take my statement to the BANK and CASH it. :D :D :D

WC is not a pepper soup contest. E go do u like trick of film when Croatia start balling in Russia.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Odas wrote:
WC is not a pepper soup contest. E go do u like trick of film when Croatia start balling in Russia.
Bros, Croatia can ball all they want, it will not happen with us. We WILL BEAT them, watch!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

joao wrote:Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr listed that he doesn't have star players who can turn a game on its head,
but

Kpom! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Discipline, team work and hard work are what will take us far at the WC. We will beat most teams at the WC if we stay true to those values.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Odas wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Odas wrote:
Bros, Croatia can ball all they want, it will not happen with us. We WILL BEAT them, watch!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I like your confido jare. I hope the boys have the same belief, keep their heads down and work hard. E go happen! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Wha choo looking at?!
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

Our outing would be reminiscent of 2002 if Mr. Rohr ignores the significance of adding two new forwards to this team. As we struggle to get out of the second round, it would suddenly become obvious that the addition of Onyekuru and Aluko/ Umar Sadiq/Nwankwo into the mix could have turned things around. The whole idea is that when two defenders are marking Moses and Iwobi respectively; you want to have other creative forwards that can make things happen. World Cup is not just about team cohesiveness—you have to come with the best talent possible. Besides, adding two aggressive players into the fold should not undermine team strategy - if anything, it should provide us with more options than we currently have.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote:
but

I think we would all know a lot of them from Ozil, to Khedira, Kroos, Boateng, Lahm, Klose, Podolski, Neuer, Muller, Schweinsteiger, Metersacker etc...pretty well known playing at the highest levels club-wise...we don't have this talent and discipline alone can't get you a world cup. Iran were very disciplined at the last world cup, but couldn't get out of the group stage, you need a s-ton more than that!
Iran had discipline, but they were playing scared too. You have to be disciplined, daring and composed as a team. Look at Germany's goals against Brazil. Which one was not the result of no unnecessary touches, simple passes to the open man, and ice cold composure?

Wha choo looking at?!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Soccernut you better go and return those guys money because none of them are going to the World Cup except for injuries to our main guys. What striker do you expect our coach to drop for simi/jololo?? Ighalo or iheanacho? Or even experienced Ideye? Or what wingers should our coach drop for onyekuru? Musa, simon moses, iwobi or Victor Moses? People just like spilling piece of crap here. Shameless crooks that will collect money from players to promote their boys
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

joao wrote:Strategy without the discipline to conform with simple instructions is as good as having none.
In the last WC Ghana could have surprised Germany in the group stages, but for the bone headed
decision of players to go it alone when better options are available. Lack of team discipline is the bane
of most African teams, with individuals playing as if they are representing themselves instead of the
team. Many herein will even argue that individual show of talent trumps team play. And we wonder
why we have not been able to truly impress at the world cup.
Way too much sense :clap:
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Odas wrote:
That statement will be taken to the bank if my man is in goal. :thumbs: Interestingly, I share your sentiment. I have this feeling that we'll beat Croatia.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

john12 wrote:Soccernut you better go and return those guys money because none of them are going to the World Cup except for injuries to our main guys. What striker do you expect our coach to drop for simi/jololo?? Ighalo or iheanacho? Or even experienced Ideye? Or what wingers should our coach drop for onyekuru? Musa, simon moses, iwobi or Victor Moses? People just like spilling piece of crap here. Shameless crooks that will collect money from players to promote their boys
Not only is your view myopic but also you are completely out of your element here. First, Onyekuru has a better strike rate than any of our current strikers (0.58 per game). Second, it was only a couple of weeks ago when an article was posted on this forum regarding Rohr considering Nwankwo (who had scored about 6 goals in one month) due to the dearth of scoring strikers in our team. Umar Sadiq has also been in fine form of late (scoring about 5 goals recently). So, why would any sane person who wishes the SE well not consider some of these tangible options? The regressive mindset that you project and your knack for accepting mediocrity are symbolic of the low quality mindset that is perpetrated in some corners of Naija. For the umpteenth time, I’m not an agent—just someone who has followed Naija soccer passionately for 40 years and one who has also played the game as a semi-professional –- simply for the love of the sport.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

You just keep ranting without logic. Who are the players that should be dropped for the ones you listed this late?
Strikers?
Ighalo or iheanacho should be dropped for simi or jololo?? Or
Wingers/wing forward
Iwobi
Victor Moses
Ahmed Musa
Simon Moses should be dropped for who This late??
All these players I listed contributed immensely towards our WCQ and friendlies and it would be quite despicable, corrupt and fraudulent to drop any of those boys
Last edited by john12 on Wed May 09, 2018 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.