AMOKACHI: WHAT HAPPENED WITH 2014 WC SQUAD SELECTION...WOW!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
AMOKACHI: WHAT HAPPENED WITH 2014 WC SQUAD SELECTION...WOW!

Post by anointed »

Daniel Amokachi's Ideye Brown lesson must be heeded by Gernot Rohr

11:38 AM WAT
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN.

There are just days to go until Gernot Rohr names his provisional squad for this summer's World Cup in Russia.
Much of Rohr's squad essentially picks itself, and the coach sure kn what at least seventy percent of what his final 23 will look like.
Such knowledge however, still does not seem enough to protect even surefire certainties from being concerned about getting dropped at the last minute.
One player who was in the 2014 squad and should make the cut for the 2018 event, spoke to KweséESPN anonymously, and harked back to four years ago, when striker Brown Ideye was cut from the squad to general astonishment within and outside the team.
"Nobody expected that Brown will not be in the 23-man list," the player said. "We were all shocked.
"So now, nobody can say for sure that they are going to the World Cup, because anything can happen."
Daniel Amokachi, who was assistant coach at the time, told KweséESPN in an exclusive interview that he had no idea how and why Ideye was cut from the squad.
"Brown for me was one player that I regret that we did not take to the World Cup in 2014," Amokachi said, speaking for the first time about the incident that shocked a nation.

"Hundred percent I didn't know how he didn't make that list," he added. "I never saw it coming that he didn't make the list till when the list came out and we found out.
"I think I probably had a lot of fights with some people that I shouldn't have, but it happened because I saw no reason why such a player should be left out.
"We ended up going to the World Cup with players that even me I don't even know."
It is a stunning admission by Amokachi, who went on to suggest that outside influences may have played a part in the striker getting cut in favour of a players like Michael Uchebo and Uche Nwofor, both of whom had a combined total of six international appearances prior to the World Cup.
Four of those combined caps (two each) were in the friendlies just before the squad was named
"I think it is very tough if a coach is already an agent," Amokachi continued. "It is very, very difficult, and that is why I always say you cannot be a coach and be an agent at the same time.
"When the World Cup comes around, you always have a lot of new players showing up," he added. "Players who will decide that they are Nigerians and bring confusion into the team.
"When you find yourself in that situation, you try to advise, because you have agents that will be calling left, right and centre.
"If a coach is an agent, he will fall a victim too. Those are things that we really really need to avoid. There is no room to be trying new players."

These allegations of agent-induced selections have dogged Nigerian football for years, but Amokachi is the first high-profile name to go on record with it, and he says it is a pitfall that Rohr and his coaching staff need to be wary of as they pick their roster for Russia.
"If the coach is a hundred-percent focused as a coach then he needs the best players in the team because he needs results," the ex-striker proceeded. "However, if he is an agent and he has people around him that are agents then there is an issue.
"That is what is happening with our national team today. There are a lot of agents around them and that is probably going to be the only hiccup that the coach will have."
Squad lists, both provisional and final, are usually sent to the NFF's Technical Committee before release to the press and public.
This is the reason why the committee have taken flak for years about their interference in player selections, but NFF Executive Committee member Chris Green, who was chairman of the committee in 2014, says they had no hand in the matter
"I was not a member of the technical crew and I didn't have a hand in that," said Green. "Amokachi was assistant to Stephen Keshi.
"If as assistant to Keshi he did not know how Ideye was dropped, is it the technical committee that should know?"
Ideye himself appears to still be traumatised by the incident, especially because he was given no prior warning and was as blindsided as everyone else
"I don't want to talk about it," he told KweséESPN. "I just saw the names of the players Keshi picked on Twitter.

"Nobody told me the reason Keshi dropped me, and Keshi himself didn't call or text me so I just moved on."
It is a nightmare scenario, and one that continues to give many of the players in the current squad cause for pause, and potential action.

"Right now, everybody is just watching to see what will happen," a player said. "We know those who should be there, and if anybody from outside is coming in, he has to be very much better than those of us who are here now.
"However, we cannot just sit and allow what happened to Ideye last time to happen again."
Could this open the door to a selection showdown between coaches and players?
It's unlikely, with the harmony in the present squad and the relationship between captain Mikel Obi and Rohr, but it's possible that such surprises from left field could be the catalyst for a potential disruption in squad harmony.
Rohr himself seems to have that covered, having reportedly decided to pick a targeted 30 rather than a 35-man provisional squad ahead of next week's deadline.
He'd still do well to heed Amokachi's counsel, and keep his distance from agents while he draws up his roster
http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/ ... ernot-rohr
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
highbury
Egg
Egg
Re: WOW! AMOKACHI: WHAT HAPPENED WITH 2014 WC SQUAD SELECTIO

Post by highbury »

I am inferring that Late Keshi was an agent. The player that he selected that baffled me was : Shola Amoebi.
icee
Egg
Egg
Re: AMOKACHI: WHAT HAPPENED WITH 2014 WC SQUAD SELECTION...W

Post by icee »

Several players baffled me. No one is bigger than the country. I wrote on here that from my own assessment, the focus wasn't on Nigeria (at least solely) and the focus seemed to be divided for selfish reasons. I didn't need Amo to confirm anything. I don't think Amo is a saint either. In the 2014 scenario, Nigeria lost, the players that were added on unfairly lost (they were still NOT good and only showed that), only a certain few benefited. I remember Uchebo taking a shot while facing goal and the shot was so off it went to throwing.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Let Keshi rest is pls.
OCCUPY NFF!!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

I was more shocked that none of the Ike brothers whom we saw torment the likes of Real week-in-week-out di not make the final squad. Shola Ameobi whose hope had been to play for England was given priority over players who sweated the shirt to qualify Nigeria for the WC.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Ideye's omission was very sad.
I was personally furious with the decision
all in the past now sha.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Rohr is under pressure, no doubt. Unfortunately, even Pinnick is applying unnecessary pressure instead of allowing the man do his job. We, as fans, trust Rohr because of his antecedence. Why can't the NFF management and vested interests do same for the sake of the country?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

I don't think Ideye was even in the provisional squad for the 2014 WC. Ideye's case has been discussed on CE before and his exclusion was said to be as a result of not settling the agent who took him to Dynamo Kiev. The agent reported the matter to Keshi, who issued an ultimatum to Ideye.
The result was his exclusion from the WC squad.
I am happy
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

highbury wrote:I am inferring that Late Keshi was an agent. The player that he selected that baffled me was : Shola Amoebi.
Ameobi was a baffling decision to say the least
But at least he was a regular player for a premier league side at the time
The likes of Reuben, Uchebo and Uzoenyi were just disgraceful.
But...its all in the past ...
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

highbury wrote:I am inferring that Late Keshi was an agent. The player that he selected that baffled me was : Shola Amoebi.
Keshi wasn't an agent!

These things are rather simple. In the NFF/Sports ministry/Naija Coaching circles there are outside influences who lean on you hard to do their bidding with the promise that they will grant you one or two favors including having your salaries paid on time or outstanding gratuity paid. Yes, it is that simple...

It is not because the coach is an agent. Rohr has so far been immune to this because of the payment arrangement he has had. Even at that, had he been a Naijarian, folks will be insinuating that he is an agent.

In 2014, aside from maybe myself, Keshi wanted Amoebi. Funny enough it was a case of Osaze taking Ideye spot. And it was because Ideye did not have anyone standing up for him. Yes, there were interests who wanted Uchebo and Nwofor. None of the two were linked to Keshi. Even Amokachi had players he liked and those he didn't care for... when the fallout of "Slippers gate" happened, Mikel was furious that Osaze was added to the team, destroying team chemistry. Even Osaze knew that Mikel wasn't happy he was on the team.

BTW, as far back as 94, folks were dropped not because of agency business but the "Politics" with team selection. Nduka Ugbade, Jonathan Akpoborie (94 & 98), Kanu Nwankwo, Friday Ekpo, Isaac Semitoje to name a few... all under the watch of oyibo coaches.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Cellular wrote:
Keshi wasn't an agent!
These things are rather simple. In the NFF/Sports ministry/Naija Coaching circles there are outside influences who lean on you hard to do their bidding with the promise that they will grant you one or two favors including having your salaries paid on time or outstanding gratuity paid. Yes, it is that simple...
It is not because the coach is an agent. .
Amokachi wrote:"I think it is very tough if a coach is already an agent," Amokachi continued. "It is very, very difficult, and that is why I always say you cannot be a coach and be an agent at the same time.
Nigeria's 2014 coaching team
Keshi
Daniel Amokachi
Ike Shorunmu
lol
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
Keshi wasn't an agent!

It is not because the coach is an agent. Rohr has so far been immune to this because of the payment arrangement he has had. Even at that, had he been a Naijarian, folks will be insinuating that he is an agent.

In 2014, aside from maybe myself, Keshi wanted Amoebi. Funny enough it was a case of Osaze taking Ideye spot. And it was because Ideye did not have anyone standing up for him. Yes, there were interests who wanted Uchebo and Nwofor. None of the two were linked to Keshi. Even Amokachi had players he liked and those he didn't care for... when the fallout of "Slippers gate" happened, Mikel was furious that Osaze was added to the team, destroying team chemistry. Even Osaze knew that Mikel wasn't happy he was on the team.

BTW, as far back as 94, folks were dropped not because of agency business but the "Politics" with team selection. Nduka Ugbade, Jonathan Akpoborie (94 & 98), Kanu Nwankwo, Friday Ekpo, Isaac Semitoje to name a few... all under the watch of oyibo coaches.

kai.....that gucci slippers incident will go down in history alongside Fabregas slapping Sir Alex with pizza....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

And these idiots think we will sit down and allow their pressure derail our plans. These shameless agents wants someone that scored few goals in Italy to be taken ahead of Iheanacho or ighalo. They will use all manner of tactics to derail super eagles plan and if that doesn’t work, they will go diabolical. Rohr please just name your final 23 man team on the 15th let them go and eat rat poison. Shameless thiefs
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Eh... apologists jumping over hoops to defend our selection at that world cup when even the assistant coach is saying he was baffled.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

All those funny players like Nwofor and Uchebo didn't they all have the same agent? Tony Harris or something...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

As baffling as some might think of Apmeobi's selection, one could see the rationale behind it. Nigeria was terrible at dey pieces, particularly corners. I don't even think anyone believed we could score from a corner, more like concede.

Ameobi was good at roughing up and making a nuisance of himself in corner kick situations at least. We can debate if he was even the best option for that all century long but the rationale was a sound one
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

niyi wrote:Eh... apologists jumping over hoops to defend our selection at that world cup when even the assistant coach is saying he was baffled.
The dead can't speak so it's easy to..... While no one is defending Keshi, even Rohr has been accused of being an agent. Even if Jesus is the coach of Nigeria Dem go still accuse him of agentship
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Ideye did not exactly make a strong case for himself prior to the World Cup..and tbh if the choice was really between Osaze and Ideye, I would pick Osaze every single time, even today.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

pajimoh wrote:
niyi wrote:Eh... apologists jumping over hoops to defend our selection at that world cup when even the assistant coach is saying he was baffled.
The dead can't speak so it's easy to..... While no one is defending Keshi, even Rohr has been accused of being an agent. Even if Jesus is the coach of Nigeria Dem go still accuse him of agentship
Have Rohr or Jesus been accused by their assistant coach of being an agent?
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

smartbrother wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Have Rohr or Jesus been accused by their assistant coach of being an agent?
Haven't you been reading where people have been insinuating that there's more to him liking (preferring) Musa to other flavors of the month? Or him scouring the German leagues looking for Naija affiliated players. If he wasn't oyibo, those cries would have been louder.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

There hasn't been any SINGLE World Cup where the selection hasn't been baffling. I listed players in the past who were dropped inexplicably... and it was by oyibo coaches. But we somehow gave them the benefit of the doubt.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

How can people say ideye was competing with osaze when nwafor, ameobi and uchebo were also big forwards like ideye. Anyway, let’s forget about the past but make sure it doesn’t reoccur
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

nanijoe wrote:Ideye did not exactly make a strong case for himself prior to the World Cup..and tbh if the choice was really between Osaze and Ideye, I would pick Osaze every single time, even today.
hilarious.
The assistant coach. The #2 man. is here saying the coach was an agent (in as polite a manner a possible)
You are arguing Ideye v Osaze. lol.

Reminds of those robots on that westworld show
When they are presented with information their brains are programmed to ignore