Nacho v Ighalo . Who starts?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg
Re: Nacho v Ighalo . Who starts?

Post by Mr Shows »

Last edited by Mr Shows on Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

vancity eagle wrote:absolutely no way can both Nacho and Ighalo start against Croatia. That is suicide.

Croatia has one of the best midfields in the world. We need to play Mikel, Ndidi, and one of Joel or Etebo, Onazi.

This is not negotiable IMO. We need a strong midfield. After Mikel we need 2 guys who will run their socks off for the entire 90 minutes.

Playing those 2 strikers and Croatia will have too much freedom and will punish us. The key to beating them is to bombard them with the high press, and not let them get a hold in the match. They will likely try and control possession, so counter attacks are key.

I would only play both NAcho and Ighalo, later in the game if we are searching for a goal.

On the other hand I think we can afford to play a 442 with both Ighalo and Nacho against Iceland in our second match.

Having watched the Poland game again, the 442 actually wasn't bad in the first half against Poland. We just needed to be more efficient in creating chances with off ball runs and quick passing. I could see this combo doing well against Iceland, but not against either Croatia or Argentina, especially Croatia to be honest.

at this moment, honestly I will start Ighalo ahead of Nacho. I know it may be unpopular, but there is more upside to his game, but Nacho has really improved the other areas of his game in the last few weeks so really it is a hard call. The England and Czech games may well decide if one starts over the other.

Against R Congo I will use only fringe players. Perhaps Nwankwo Simy and or Sadiq Umar in that match.

VE I agree with you :thumb: . Opening games are always tight and most teams will play safe to give themselves a platform to build on. We already know that Rohr is quite conservative.

Against Croatia we are up against a world class midfield and that is where the battle will be won or lost. You let those guys play through you and Uzoho/Ezenwa will have a baptism of fire.

Left to me Iwobi and Nacho start on the bench. We need to have a compact m/field in the first game (Nacho is a bit of a luxury player and Iwobi's ball t/o ratio is a bit too high for a game like this). They can come on in the second half and work the spaces to do damage. They have a telepathic understanding with each other and can read the game from the bench to come on a create havoc.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:All our boys are firing goals going into the WC. Musa, ighalo, Nacho, Simon, and even Vic mo have all been playing well and hanging. who should start against Croatia? Nacho seems to be coming along but the strength and power of ighalo is much needed even though Nacho is a better Finisher. This is a tough one.

[/video]
[/video]
Ighalo will be facing a much better class of defenders at the World Cup so let’s not get carried away by his 4 goals :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

vancity eagle wrote:absolutely no way can both Nacho and Ighalo start against Croatia. That is suicide.

Croatia has one of the best midfields in the world. We need to play Mikel, Ndidi, and one of Joel or Etebo, Onazi.

This is not negotiable IMO. We need a strong midfield. After Mikel we need 2 guys who will run their socks off for the entire 90 minutes.

Playing those 2 strikers and Croatia will have too much freedom and will punish us. The key to beating them is to bombard them with the high press, and not let them get a hold in the match. They will likely try and control possession, so counter attacks are key.

I would only play both NAcho and Ighalo, later in the game if we are searching for a goal.

On the other hand I think we can afford to play a 442 with both Ighalo and Nacho against Iceland in our second match.

Having watched the Poland game again, the 442 actually wasn't bad in the first half against Poland. We just needed to be more efficient in creating chances with off ball runs and quick passing. I could see this combo doing well against Iceland, but not against either Croatia or Argentina, especially Croatia to be honest.

at this moment, honestly I will start Ighalo ahead of Nacho. I know it may be unpopular, but there is more upside to his game, but Nacho has really improved the other areas of his game in the last few weeks so really it is a hard call. The England and Czech games may well decide if one starts over the other.

Against R Congo I will use only fringe players. Perhaps Nwankwo Simy and or Sadiq Umar in that match.
You are being melodramatic. Ndidi, Mikel, Moses and Iwobi are as formidable a midfield as any that Croatia can present. No reason why Nacho and Ighalo can’t start against Croatia but I personally would prefer the partnership of Nacho and Musa :idea: :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

You are being melodramatic. Ndidi, Mikel, Moses and Iwobi are as formidable a midfield as any that Croatia can present. No reason why Nacho and Ighalo can’t start against Croatia but I personally would prefer the partnership of Nacho and Musa :idea: :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.