"Oloye, So 75% of the 30 man provisional list are Igbo"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Oloye, So 75% of the 30 man provisional list are Igbo

Post by mcal »

Tobi17 wrote:I don't want to rile up any tribal sentiments as I'm Igbo myself and proudly one, but why have players of mostly Igbo ethnicity always dominated the SE? I believe this has been the status quo for quite some time now, even as far as back as the Westerhoff era... not sure of the era prior to that.
...okay, why have people of mostly northern ethnicity dominated the seat of government, in fact, as far back as day of independent?
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Well get ready, if Nigeria is still one in the next few years, to see a long list of foreign born Yorubas in the SE. Their is a huge list of SW players, in most notable football club academies in the UK. Many are very good prospects.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

13 igbo
9 South south
5 Yoruba
2 North
not sure bout Lokosa but sounds MIddle belt

NOt 75%.

I guess we can move on now
Last edited by chief nfachairman on Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

chief nfachairman wrote:13 igbo
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Only Shehu Abdullahi is a Northerner on that team... If you are counting Ahmed Musa, well he is ethically from the Northern part of Edo state, around Auchi if I'm not mistaken.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

mcal wrote:...too much hidden tribal hate, vindictiveness, masked as "joke". Go ahead thread original poster you will get your wish when all from your clan or village represent Nigeria football team.

:taunt:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote:If SE contribute soccer, SS contribute the bread and butter, the north contribute Agriculture and governance, what are others contributing? It's time we have this dialog .

:rotf:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Damunk wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:I don't want to rile up any tribal sentiments as I'm Igbo myself and proudly one, but why have players of mostly Igbo ethnicity always dominated the SE? I believe this has been the status quo for quite some time now, even as far as back as the Westerhoff era... not sure of the era prior to that.
So how are you any different from ANC if you have a problem with this?
So what?
Might as well ask why 90% of the players are dark skinned. Or why they don't wear glasses.
If dem start quota system, na di same una go halla. :roll:

Bros, I am not with Tobi17 on this o :biggrin: .
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

mcal wrote:
...okay, why have people of mostly northern ethnicity dominated the seat of government, in fact, as far back as day of independent?

born to rule. They are better @ politics and have a long history of such, as a matter of fact, they have saved Nigeria from becoming DRC or Somalia. :taunt:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

okidoki wrote:Well get ready, if Nigeria is still one in the next few years, to see a long list of foreign born Yorubas in the SE. Their is a huge list of SW players, in most notable football club academies in the UK. Many are very good prospects.

go to sleep. You can't see a joke when stares u in the face. At the end of the day, Africa wins
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

:shock:

Damn you are a tribalist, how were you able to tell who's who abeg?
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Tobi17 wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Only Shehu Abdullahi is a Northerner on that team... If you are counting Ahmed Musa, well he is ethically from the Northern part of Edo state, around Auchi if I'm not mistaken.
Na true you talk. Musa papa is the Otaru of Auchi.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

ANC wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

I dont like topic like this but it is not 75%
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Sir V wrote:
ANC wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

I dont like topic like this but it is not 75%

Honestly, I believe most people on this site have matured above this level of bigotry. Even people like Emir no longer gives a sh!.t about ethnicity. I just gave a number, to start a lively discussion. Its been too boring lately.
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

As far as a lack of Yoruba players, it is definitely interesting that so many young players who descend from one or more Yoruba parents are doing so well overseas (seemingly an endless pipeline from England, the likes of Balogun, Alaba, etc), but a relative paucity of local boys in the SE. Similar to the disparity between local and European raised talents from DR Congo or Algeria.

Tribalism aside, it is interesting to think about whether something is lacking in the player development in certain parts of the country compared to the others that consistently produce our best players. (what is going right in one region vs. what is going wrong in another) Obviously, there is more to it than coincidence. There is no harm in that type of analysis. Nigeria has raw player talent unmatched anywhere on the continent of Africa, and we should try to extract every bit from it.

Regardless, even if all 23 boys came from the same, small village, they would still deserve the support of every single Nigerian. The group of players that Rohr has put together has truly grown as a team and a family, one that is ready to fight for the country to emulate past glories and achieve even more. Everyone should be proud of them and backing them fully.
Last edited by olumide on Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

We all know the south east is the Croatia/ Ukraine of Nigeria. The best players come from that region. If Biafra were to secede, Nigeria will become as useless as Uganda overnight.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

The numbers are what they are, no need to hide them. SS and SE people just play more soccer and so over time they produce more talent through practice. Its hard to find street/playground soccer in some SW cities like Ado Ekiti when I was growing up because parents just frown on it and didn't understand its merit. Ebenezer Obey even sang about this. It felt the same way in Kaduna and when you find people playing often they are people from the SE and SS. If it was some superior gene as some want to insinuate here then the SS and SE will dominate athletics as well but they don't.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

oscar52 wrote:The numbers are what they are, no need to hide them. SS and SE people just play more soccer and so over time they produce more talent through practice. Its hard to find street/playground soccer in some SW cities like Ado Ekiti when I was growing up because parents just frown on it and didn't understand its merit. Ebenezer Obey even sang about this. It felt the same way in Kaduna and when you find people playing often they are people from the SE and SS. If it was some superior gene as some want to insinuate here then the SS and SE will dominate athletics as well but they don't.

The best athletes come from the east. Nigeria's 1st gold medalist was from where again??? Where does Mary Onyali come from?? The Ezenwa Bros?? Look at the diasporan Nigerians repping USA and UK. They are mostly igbos. What's holding them back are the incompetent administrators that run Nigerias sports. Most of whom comes from the north. I mean look at the imbecile that calls himself the minister of Sports. There lies your answer.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

olumide wrote:As far as a lack of Yoruba players, it is definitely interesting that so many young players who descend from one or more Yoruba parents are doing so well overseas (seemingly an endless pipeline from England, the likes of Balogun, Alaba, etc), but a relative paucity of local boys in the SE. Similar to the disparity between local and European raised talents from DR Congo or Algeria.

Tribalism aside, it is interesting to think about whether something is lacking in the player development in certain parts of the country compared to the others that consistently produce our best players. (what is going right in one region vs. what is going wrong in another) Obviously, there is more to it than coincidence. There is no harm in that type of analysis. Nigeria has raw player talent unmatched anywhere on the continent of Africa, and we should try to extract every bit from it.

Regardless, even if all 23 boys came from the same, small village, they would still deserve the support of every single Nigerian. The group of players that Rohr has put together has truly grown as a team and a family, one that is ready to fight for the country to emulate past glories and achieve even more. Everyone should be proud of them and backing them fully.

Like???? The only one i see that looks solid is Ademola Lookman.
Last edited by bret- hart on Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

NO WE CANNOT MOVE ON! Everybody must contribute. The issue is not the 75% but the 13%. And even that is generous considering nobody wanted to claim Ajiboye after the Morocco game.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

bret- hart wrote:We all know the south east is the Croatia/ Ukraine of Nigeria. The best players come from that region. If Biafra were to secede, Nigeria will become as useless as Uganda overnight.

I don't think so.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Sir V wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Are you saying we can no longer hate on Musa as it turns out he's not from where we thought? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Guys please do not over analyze o. Its just a joke.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Are you saying we can no longer hate on Musa as it turns out he's not from where we thought? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

He is still a headless chicken, but one whom I will always support.