"Oloye, So 75% of the 30 man provisional list are Igbo"

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oloye, So 75% of the 30 man provisional list are Igbo

Post by ANC »

1naija wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:13 igbo
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North
not sure bout Lokosa but sounds MIddle belt

NOt 75%.

I guess we can move on now

NO WE CANNOT MOVE ON! Everybody must contribute. The issue is not the 75% but the 13%. And even that is generous considering nobody wanted to claim Ajiboye after the Morocco game.

Moneky dey work, Baboon dey chope. :taunt:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ANC wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Sir V wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Only Shehu Abdullahi is a Northerner on that team... If you are counting Ahmed Musa, well he is ethically from the Northern part of Edo state, around Auchi if I'm not mistaken.
Na true you talk. Musa papa is the Otaru of Auchi.

Are you saying we can no longer hate on Musa as it turns out he's not from where we thought? :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

He is still a headless chicken, but one whom I will always support.
But bia, una :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: been dey claim say na awusa boy who got on the team by quota...thanks to your yeye thread, we are now finding out he's a Bendelite like the great Amodu (RIP). :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

1naija wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

NO WE CANNOT MOVE ON! Everybody must contribute. The issue is not the 75% but the 13%. And even that is generous considering nobody wanted to claim Ajiboye after the Morocco game.
We need to bring back Yobo. Legendary Captain....the one and only Ogoni Blanket (copyright Suya).
AFCON 2019 sweet o

ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

We need to bring back Yobo. Legendary Captain....the one and only Ogoni Blanket (copyright Suya).

dude why are you going backwards, we are now into tokunbo (spelling), not Aba-made
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Thread failure acknowledged............over!!!
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

bret- hart wrote:
oscar52 wrote:The numbers are what they are, no need to hide them. SS and SE people just play more soccer and so over time they produce more talent through practice. Its hard to find street/playground soccer in some SW cities like Ado Ekiti when I was growing up because parents just frown on it and didn't understand its merit. Ebenezer Obey even sang about this. It felt the same way in Kaduna and when you find people playing often they are people from the SE and SS. If it was some superior gene as some want to insinuate here then the SS and SE will dominate athletics as well but they don't.

The best athletes come from the east. Nigeria's 1st gold medalist was from where again??? Where does Mary Onyali come from?? The Ezenwa Bros?? Look at the diasporan Nigerians repping USA and UK. They are mostly igbos. What's holding them back are the incompetent administrators that run Nigerias sports. Most of whom comes from the north. I mean look at the imbecile that calls himself the minister of Sports. There lies your answer.
Nigeria's record holder in the 100m sprint men is from where? What about the women? Two time NBA champion and MVP Hakeem Olajuwon, superbowl champ Jay Ajayi, current NBA superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo, current NBA superstar Oladipo, Mutiu Adepoju, Yekini, boxing champ Anthony Joshua are all have roots from where? Teams comprised solely of yorubas have won the U17 (Yemi Tella), same thing with teams comprised solely of Hausas (Manu Garba), and Igbos (Amunike). With all the Igbo dominated teams what has Nigeria done as the worldcup that Gbana and Senegal have not eclipsed? Practice is superior to raw talent and there are published research to back that up. Igbos dominate soccer because they participate more at the grassroot, get better and gets picked more. What is the common past time in Yoruba areas that they play all the time? I will help you out its table tennis. What area has produced virtually all of Nigeria's table tennis champions in the last 50 years? You guessed it its the SW. Again practice is superior to just raw talent. What we should be encouraging is that all the other regions play soccer (and others sports) more so that Nigeria can really reach its potential because when you combine talent + practice then you have something really special.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Daft thread
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oscar52 wrote:Nigeria's record holder in the 100m sprint men is from where? What about the women? Two time NBA champion and MVP Hakeem Olajuwon, superbowl champ Jay Ajayi, current NBA superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo, current NBA superstar Oladipo, Mutiu Adepoju, Yekini, boxing champ Anthony Joshua are all have roots from where? Teams comprised solely of yorubas have won the U17 (Yemi Tella), same thing with teams comprised solely of Hausas (Manu Garba), and Igbos (Amunike). With all the Igbo dominated teams what has Nigeria done as the worldcup that Gbana and Senegal have not eclipsed? Practice is superior to raw talent and there are published research to back that up. Igbos dominate soccer because they participate more at the grassroot, get better and gets picked more. What is the common past time in Yoruba areas that they play all the time? I will help you out its table tennis. What area has produced virtually all of Nigeria's table tennis champions in the last 50 years? You guessed it its the SW. Again practice is superior to just raw talent. What we should be encouraging is that all the other regions play soccer (and others sports) more so that Nigeria can really reach its potential because when you combine talent + practice then you have something really special.
Even for this useless thread, shocking BS... :shock:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

The best athletes come from the east. Nigeria's 1st gold medalist was from where again??? Where does Mary Onyali come from?? The Ezenwa Bros?? Look at the diasporan Nigerians repping USA and UK. They are mostly igbos. What's holding them back are the incompetent administrators that run Nigerias sports. Most of whom comes from the north. I mean look at the imbecile that calls himself the minister of Sports. There lies your answer.
Bros na wa for you oh. Off the top of my head Fasuba, Adeniken, ALiu and Ogundele (all sub 10 secs) are in the top 20 fastest times in Africa (not even Nigeria) I believe they are all even faster than the Ezenwas sef. I believe Fasuba still has the fastest time in Africa although these South Africans are coming fast.

Do I think the East or the SW just produce better sprinters than the rest of Naija...hell no! There are several other factors that account for this. As soon as apartheid fell and the South Africans found their groove see how they are dusting Naija sprinters left right and center. It's a bit embarrassing self to see countries like Botswana kicking our backsides. As someone that loves athletics almost as much as soccer, it's amazing to see how quickly the South Africans caught us,

As for soccer, I would say the SW has become borderline useless. When the big clubs like Shooting, Abiola Babes, Leventis, Stores folded it was curtains. However there is no soccer gene or even athletic genes. It all depends on several factors.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

One of my friends was saying the other day that all Lagos soccer fans do nowadays is watch Chelsea and Arsenal and play bet Naija or nairabet. If not for MFM saving them self there would be no local team in Lagos a city of over 10 million.

I honestly don't know what happened to soccer in the SW. It has become a vast soccer wasteland. Maybe it was the Premiership. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Gotti wrote:
oscar52 wrote:Nigeria's record holder in the 100m sprint men is from where? What about the women? Two time NBA champion and MVP Hakeem Olajuwon, superbowl champ Jay Ajayi, current NBA superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo, current NBA superstar Oladipo, Mutiu Adepoju, Yekini, boxing champ Anthony Joshua are all have roots from where? Teams comprised solely of yorubas have won the U17 (Yemi Tella), same thing with teams comprised solely of Hausas (Manu Garba), and Igbos (Amunike). With all the Igbo dominated teams what has Nigeria done as the worldcup that Gbana and Senegal have not eclipsed? Practice is superior to raw talent and there are published research to back that up. Igbos dominate soccer because they participate more at the grassroot, get better and gets picked more. What is the common past time in Yoruba areas that they play all the time? I will help you out its table tennis. What area has produced virtually all of Nigeria's table tennis champions in the last 50 years? You guessed it its the SW. Again practice is superior to just raw talent. What we should be encouraging is that all the other regions play soccer (and others sports) more so that Nigeria can really reach its potential because when you combine talent + practice then you have something really special.

why are you shocked? This was the same poster that supported Trumps' proposal to scrap the Diversity Lottery, on the basis that a whole 52-yr old Oscar was made to "rub shoulders" with nonentity beneficiaries of the DV lottery :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Chief Ogbunigwe on Tue May 15, 2018 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Sir V wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North

NOt 75%.

Only Shehu Abdullahi is a Northerner on that team... If you are counting Ahmed Musa, well he is ethically from the Northern part of Edo state, around Auchi if I'm not mistaken.
Na true you talk. Musa papa is the Otaru of Auchi.
Wow didn’t know this, would have sworn he was Hausa through and through.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

The igbos and eastern nigerians travel more than any other Nigerian. In football they have seized more opportunities to play outside the country in competitive leagues. That to me explains why they dominate football player selection.

Otherwise Nigeria has produced few world class talent despite its huge population. No Nigerian player has had as much impact as Samuel Etoo or Didier Drogba or Yaya Toure or Claude Makalele. To me the only Nigerian players that aree dominant in their position in terms of top 5 playing were:

FINIDI GEORGE
Vincent Enyeama
Victor Moses
JJ Okocha
Last edited by kali on Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

airwolex wrote:Bros na wa for you oh. Off the top of my head Fasuba, Adeniken, ALiu and Ogundele (all sub 10 secs) are in the top 20 fastest times in Africa (not even Nigeria) I believe they are all even faster than the Ezenwas sef. I believe Fasuba still has the fastest time in Africa although these South Africans are coming fast.

Do I think the East or the SW just produce better sprinters than the rest of Naija...hell no! There are several other factors that account for this. As soon as apartheid fell and the South Africans found their groove see how they are dusting Naija sprinters left right and center. It's a bit embarrassing self to see countries like Botswana kicking our backsides. As someone that loves athletics almost as much as soccer, it's amazing to see how quickly the South Africans caught us,

As for soccer, I would say the SW has become borderline useless. When the big clubs like Shooting, Abiola Babes, Leventis, Stores folded it was curtains. However there is no soccer gene or even athletic genes. It all depends on several factors.
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Guys, let's not derail this thread with unnecessary facts please. Let's stay focused on the 13%. How can we increase it?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).
I actually agree with a lot of what you've said. The second and third fastest men in Britain of all times are Dasaolu and Ujah, both have Nigerian parents.

I think that the beauty of sports (and life in general) is that planning, organization and a long term strategy can produce better results than just relying on a huge population and "raw talent".

The South Africans are proving it with athletics.
Last edited by airwolex on Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Gotti wrote:
airwolex wrote:Bros na wa for you oh. Off the top of my head Fasuba, Adeniken, ALiu and Ogundele (all sub 10 secs) are in the top 20 fastest times in Africa (not even Nigeria) I believe they are all even faster than the Ezenwas sef. I believe Fasuba still has the fastest time in Africa although these South Africans are coming fast.

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

oscar52 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:
oscar52 wrote:The numbers are what they are, no need to hide them. SS and SE people just play more soccer and so over time they produce more talent through practice. Its hard to find street/playground soccer in some SW cities like Ado Ekiti when I was growing up because parents just frown on it and didn't understand its merit. Ebenezer Obey even sang about this. It felt the same way in Kaduna and when you find people playing often they are people from the SE and SS. If it was some superior gene as some want to insinuate here then the SS and SE will dominate athletics as well but they don't.

Nigeria's record holder in the 100m sprint men is from where? What about the women? Two time NBA champion and MVP Hakeem Olajuwon, superbowl champ Jay Ajayi, current NBA superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo, current NBA superstar Oladipo, Mutiu Adepoju, Yekini, boxing champ Anthony Joshua are all have roots from where? Teams comprised solely of yorubas have won the U17 (Yemi Tella), same thing with teams comprised solely of Hausas (Manu Garba), and Igbos (Amunike). With all the Igbo dominated teams what has Nigeria done as the worldcup that Gbana and Senegal have not eclipsed? Practice is superior to raw talent and there are published research to back that up. Igbos dominate soccer because they participate more at the grassroot, get better and gets picked more. What is the common past time in Yoruba areas that they play all the time? I will help you out its table tennis. What area has produced virtually all of Nigeria's table tennis champions in the last 50 years? You guessed it its the SW. Again practice is superior to just raw talent. What we should be encouraging is that all the other regions play soccer (and others sports) more so that Nigeria can really reach its potential because when you combine talent + practice then you have something really special.
Oladipo is mixed meanwhile. Father is Yoruba Sierra Leone, mother is igbo.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.
We tend to be more muscular but there are all sorts of Nigerian body types. Obikwelu, Aliu and Adeniken were lean while Daniel Effiong, Emedolu, Davidson Ezenwa, Ogunkoya, Seun Ogundele were stocky. Our two finalists in the commonwealth 100 metres were both. Seye Ogunlewe is lean, Enoch Adegoke is stocky. The winner of the commonwealth 110 hurdles Tobi Amusan is short and stocky. I don't think that matters that much.

What the SA dominance in African athletics (sprinting in particular) proves, like you said, is that you cannot jump to conclusions and say one region produces better athletes or has speed genes...certainly not soccer genes. Nigeria, because of the population size, had an advantage in the 80's and 90's. However if you do not invest in sports it counts for nothing. I won't be surprised if countries like Zambia and Zimbabwe start producing WC athletes. The potential is there.

That's my 2 cents.
Last edited by airwolex on Tue May 15, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

oscar52 wrote:
bret- hart wrote:

Gianni, Oladipo have Igbo mothers and were raised in the west like Joshua who is part irish or Alaba who is half philippino. Hakeem is the only great sports super star of Yoruba heritage born n raised in Nigeria.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

airwolex wrote:
We tend to be more muscular but there are all sorts of Nigerian body types. Obikwelu, Aliu and Adeniken were lean while Daniel Effiong, Emedolu, Davidson Ezenwa, Ogunkoya, Seun Ogundele were stocky. Our two finalists in the commonwealth 100 metres were both. Seye Ogunlewe is lean, Enoch Adegoke is stocky. The winner of the commonwealth 110 hurdles Tobi Amusan is short and stocky. I don't think that matters that much.

What the SA dominance in African athletics proves, like you said, is that you cannot jump to conclusions and say one region produces better athletes or has speed genes...certainly not soccer genes. Nigeria, because of the population size, had an advantage in the 80's and 90's. However if you do not invest in sports it counts for nothing.

That's my 2 cents.
How many of the Nigerian sprinters are gold or silver or bronze medalists? The South Africans are world class. Let's just admit it. The last world class sprinter from Nigeria was Sunday Bada RIP and he never won an Olympic individual medal.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

kali wrote:
airwolex wrote:

What the SA dominance in African athletics proves, like you said, is that you cannot jump to conclusions and say one region produces better athletes or has speed genes...certainly not soccer genes. Nigeria, because of the population size, had an advantage in the 80's and 90's. However if you do not invest in sports it counts for nothing.

That's my 2 cents.
How many of the Nigerian sprinters are gold or silver or bronze medalists? The South Africans are world class. Let's just admit it. The last world class sprinter from Nigeria was Sunday Bada RIP and he never won an Olympic individual medal.
Onyali, Okagbare, Ajunwa, Obikwelu were world class imho. Nowadays, we are crap.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Gotti wrote:

I meant mostly :D Anyway sensible people should be on my side against ethnic baiters :D