Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 40717
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.

Fredericks Francis was a clear Outlier...
How many other Namibians have even achieved Olympic qualifying times?

It is one thing to constantly produce world-class sprinter and another to have the odd Botswanan or Ato Bolden or Kim Collins or the occasional world-class Chinese or Japanese sprinter (and the latter two nations have massive populations and much better facilities). Nonetheless, while I limited my discussion to the African continent (and specifically to sprinters), Nigerian sprinters have won Olympic sprint relay medals and have qualified for several Olympic sprint finals, which in itself is world-class. And frankly no rational person would argue that Blessing Okagbare’s numerous Diamond League victories are not world-class. As for body-type, as Airwolex has already noted, top Nigerian sprinters come in different body types - sort of like US, Jamaican and British sprinters (coincidentally the best sprinting countries in the world). The likes of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin and Shelley Ann-Fraser are stocky, while the likes of Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson are lean. Accordingly, as I alluded to in the intro to my initial post, if Nigeria invested in facilities (and training), and our top athletes stop defecting, nobody in Africa would come close in the sprinting department.


Nigerian athletes have never medaled in the 100,200,400 meters Olympics individual events. Relay doesn't count after all Bahamas has at one point or another had great relay teams. So no Nigeria is not world class. It has yet to produce a top 3 sprinter in any of those events.

Meanwhile Jamaica, USA, GB consistently produce top sprinters in these events.

Again Nigeria is overrated. We don't like the truth because it hurts.

Seriously Kali if you are going to insult a whole nation at least get the facts straight. No need pointing out the inadequacies of others without checking out your facts first.

_________________
Image
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 41956
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
If we can talk about why there are so many black players in the NBA, why there are so few black coaches in England, why there are so few minorities in boardrooms, why disproportionately more black men are in prisons in the US, then we can discuss ethnicity in our national team. It is a sociological phenomenon and worthy of discussion without any ostrich-like pretense, as long as it is done in a way that is not divisive.

I don't buy all this business of "seeing themselves as Nigerians" not as members of an ethnic group. You can be both. Human beings are multi-dimensional.

Most of our national teams from colonial times have been predominantly Igbo. It has a lot to do with success breeding success, the fact that the playing field is a lot more level than in the civil service for e.g, the fact that there could be more Igbos than our fraudulent censuses have led us to believe, etc.

The reason is mainly due to the fact that the SE have a more organised structure and you are right success breeds more success, as most youth can see a pathway, if you watch Nigerian American Football star soccer story Christian Okoye, you see the guy that scouted him for Athletics who was based in Germany. Not sure the SW have those kind of structures in place.

I dont know why anyone should be angry about the point being raised instead it should motivate them to go back to base and help to galvanize the next generation, what you and guys did in CIC old school is so inspiring, ten years from now we start to say why are their no Doctors from SW, let them go back home and invest.
I am 'angry' because the guy is being frivolous and as far as I can tell had no intention of having a meaningful discussion. It was more of ethnic baiting.
Moreover, who wants to have such a discussion a few weeks to the biggest sporting event on the planet of which we are part?

The topic in itself is not taboo. It simply takes a little bit of maturity.
After all, I started a discussion here some years ago on a similar topic in which I asked what was behind the phenomenal sporting success of the old Bendel State.
I suggested we should look into what I termed 'Bendelism' as a means to sporting success nationwide.


We don't care if you are angry. Your thread was was more ethnic baiting than this one eventhough you disguised it as "Bendelism. If you look at the original post on face value, it simply stated one man's observation of the list. It's you and some others who read ethnic meaning into it. The Tiv man didn't get upset. The Hausa man didn't get upset. No Kalabari man got upset. I didn't see a single Ogoni man get upset. Uncle Ogbunigwe whose area only produces book worms did not get upset. No Ijaw man got upset. Only you, the defender of the ethnic baiting despite a history of questionable posts with ethnic sentiments got angry. Abeg gerrrrout.

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:09 pm
Posts: 29204
1naija wrote:
Prince wrote:
mastermind wrote:
Moderator should delete this thread. This should not be allowed here.

Why?
Rohrkonkwo neglected all the SW ballers anyway :taunt: let 1naija and Dr Sab have their moment we are busy running the country.



That's the problem! Amaechi and Buhari are running the country, you are NOT!. You must contribute something!

You will get our contribution when you win something and we have to give you money at Aso Rock for doing well :taunt: :taunt:
Run along and go and do what you guys do dancing, playing sports and complaining....... we are the white priviledge of Nigeria :taunt: :taunt:

_________________
Oya back to the matter
open and close


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 41956
Prince wrote:
1naija wrote:
Prince wrote:
mastermind wrote:
Moderator should delete this thread. This should not be allowed here.

Why?
Rohrkonkwo neglected all the SW ballers anyway :taunt: let 1naija and Dr Sab have their moment we are busy running the country.



That's the problem! Amaechi and Buhari are running the country, you are NOT!. You must contribute something!

You will get our contribution when you win something and we have to give you money at Aso Rock for doing well :taunt: :taunt:
Run along and go and do what you guys do dancing, playing sports and complaining....... we are the white priviledge of Nigeria :taunt: :taunt:


Murds ... ethnic baiting!

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:45 pm
Posts: 30998
Location: Your worst Nightmare
oloye wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.

Fredericks Francis was a clear Outlier...
How many other Namibians have even achieved Olympic qualifying times?

It is one thing to constantly produce world-class sprinter and another to have the odd Botswanan or Ato Bolden or Kim Collins or the occasional world-class Chinese or Japanese sprinter (and the latter two nations have massive populations and much better facilities). Nonetheless, while I limited my discussion to the African continent (and specifically to sprinters), Nigerian sprinters have won Olympic sprint relay medals and have qualified for several Olympic sprint finals, which in itself is world-class. And frankly no rational person would argue that Blessing Okagbare’s numerous Diamond League victories are not world-class. As for body-type, as Airwolex has already noted, top Nigerian sprinters come in different body types - sort of like US, Jamaican and British sprinters (coincidentally the best sprinting countries in the world). The likes of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin and Shelley Ann-Fraser are stocky, while the likes of Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson are lean. Accordingly, as I alluded to in the intro to my initial post, if Nigeria invested in facilities (and training), and our top athletes stop defecting, nobody in Africa would come close in the sprinting department.


Nigerian athletes have never medaled in the 100,200,400 meters Olympics individual events. Relay doesn't count after all Bahamas has at one point or another had great relay teams. So no Nigeria is not world class. It has yet to produce a top 3 sprinter in any of those events.

Meanwhile Jamaica, USA, GB consistently produce top sprinters in these events.

Again Nigeria is overrated. We don't like the truth because it hurts.

Seriously Kali if you are going to insult a whole nation at least get the facts straight. No need pointing out the inadequacies of others without checking out your facts first.


I get where Kali is going but I think he probably is not looking at the big picture. He is looking at the best of the best.

Nigeria were the sprint kings in Africa and in regional terms at least we weren't over-rated. South Africa is catching up but it's a function of us slowing down and they getting their mojo.

The commonwealth winner from SA won in 10.10 seconds. In the hey day of Nigerian sprinting, when the likes of Adeniken, Davidson Ezenwa and Aliu were operating, that's actually quite a pedestrian time.

The question now is, why are Nigerian sprinters getting slower with time. Our two reps in the finals ran times that wouldn't even have gotten them qualified from our trials in the 90's...it's a damn shame.

_________________
Nigerian T-shirts online!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 4334
oloye wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.

Fredericks Francis was a clear Outlier...
How many other Namibians have even achieved Olympic qualifying times?

It is one thing to constantly produce world-class sprinter and another to have the odd Botswanan or Ato Bolden or Kim Collins or the occasional world-class Chinese or Japanese sprinter (and the latter two nations have massive populations and much better facilities). Nonetheless, while I limited my discussion to the African continent (and specifically to sprinters), Nigerian sprinters have won Olympic sprint relay medals and have qualified for several Olympic sprint finals, which in itself is world-class. And frankly no rational person would argue that Blessing Okagbare’s numerous Diamond League victories are not world-class. As for body-type, as Airwolex has already noted, top Nigerian sprinters come in different body types - sort of like US, Jamaican and British sprinters (coincidentally the best sprinting countries in the world). The likes of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin and Shelley Ann-Fraser are stocky, while the likes of Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson are lean. Accordingly, as I alluded to in the intro to my initial post, if Nigeria invested in facilities (and training), and our top athletes stop defecting, nobody in Africa would come close in the sprinting department.


Nigerian athletes have never medaled in the 100,200,400 meters Olympics individual events. Relay doesn't count after all Bahamas has at one point or another had great relay teams. So no Nigeria is not world class. It has yet to produce a top 3 sprinter in any of those events.

Meanwhile Jamaica, USA, GB consistently produce top sprinters in these events.

Again Nigeria is overrated. We don't like the truth because it hurts.

Seriously Kali if you are going to insult a whole nation at least get the facts straight. No need pointing out the inadequacies of others without checking out your facts first.


He probably thinks men's events is all that counts. Although Nigeria is a little overrated IMO but we have the potential to excel.

Mary Onyali Bronze 200m 1996
Falilat Ogunkoya Bronze 400m 1996
Glory Alozie Silver 100mH 2000

Currently, Okagbare & Amusan are world class athletes and SA cannot compete with Nigeria in Women's sprint events but will challenge in Men's sprint events.

Egbunike won Silver @ World Championships in the 400m sprint in 1987.


Last edited by folem on Tue May 15, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:21 pm
Posts: 8778
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:47 pm
Posts: 42958
Location: Akoko Highlands
folem wrote:
oloye wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.

Fredericks Francis was a clear Outlier...
How many other Namibians have even achieved Olympic qualifying times?

It is one thing to constantly produce world-class sprinter and another to have the odd Botswanan or Ato Bolden or Kim Collins or the occasional world-class Chinese or Japanese sprinter (and the latter two nations have massive populations and much better facilities). Nonetheless, while I limited my discussion to the African continent (and specifically to sprinters), Nigerian sprinters have won Olympic sprint relay medals and have qualified for several Olympic sprint finals, which in itself is world-class. And frankly no rational person would argue that Blessing Okagbare’s numerous Diamond League victories are not world-class. As for body-type, as Airwolex has already noted, top Nigerian sprinters come in different body types - sort of like US, Jamaican and British sprinters (coincidentally the best sprinting countries in the world). The likes of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin and Shelley Ann-Fraser are stocky, while the likes of Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson are lean. Accordingly, as I alluded to in the intro to my initial post, if Nigeria invested in facilities (and training), and our top athletes stop defecting, nobody in Africa would come close in the sprinting department.


Nigerian athletes have never medaled in the 100,200,400 meters Olympics individual events. Relay doesn't count after all Bahamas has at one point or another had great relay teams. So no Nigeria is not world class. It has yet to produce a top 3 sprinter in any of those events.

Meanwhile Jamaica, USA, GB consistently produce top sprinters in these events.

Again Nigeria is overrated. We don't like the truth because it hurts.

Seriously Kali if you are going to insult a whole nation at least get the facts straight. No need pointing out the inadequacies of others without checking out your facts first.


He probably thinks men's events is all that counts. Although Nigeria is a little overrated IMO but we have the potential to excel.

Mary Onyali Bronze 200m 1996
Falilat Ogunkoya Bronze 400m 1996
Glory Alozie Silver 100mH 2000

Currently, Okagbare & Amusan are world class athletes and SA cannot compete with Nigeria in Women's sprint events but will challenge in Men's sprint events.

Egbunike won Silver @ World Championships in the 400m sprint in 1987.



Tobiloba Amusan won gold at the 100 meters hurdles event at the recently concluded Commonwealth games.

_________________
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:12 pm
Posts: 22305
Tobi17 wrote:
I don't want to rile up any tribal sentiments as I'm Igbo myself and proudly one, but why have players of mostly Igbo ethnicity always dominated the SE? I believe this has been the status quo for quite some time now, even as far as back as the Westerhoff era... not sure of the era prior to that.

We no dey go school again....dats why :o

_________________
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 76137
Location: Earth
zee wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:
I don't want to rile up any tribal sentiments as I'm Igbo myself and proudly one, but why have players of mostly Igbo ethnicity always dominated the SE? I believe this has been the status quo for quite some time now, even as far as back as the Westerhoff era... not sure of the era prior to that.

We no dey go school again....dats why :o

oh so nah ethnic thingy, how come the igbos no dey produce prolific strikers ?

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:55 am
Posts: 29181
Location: Canada
cic old boy wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

Nna, Ofili was b/4 my time at CIC. I heard of his exploits from my elder bro.

Edward Ofili na my buddy back in the day o! He lived not very far from my home. Haven't been in contact since 1976.

_________________
Image
Visit my blog at http://www.soccergoat.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:20 am
Posts: 19604
Location: Chiraq
pop expletive, then apologize :)

_________________
Image
Saints baby we did it

“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:47 pm
Posts: 42958
Location: Akoko Highlands
ANC wrote:
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.



Abeg relax. Ain't nothing said we haven't heard before. Let people express themselves.

_________________
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 41956
ANC wrote:
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.


Stop whining or we will call for a ban of the starter of the thread.

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:46 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 35551
Location: Somewhere
1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.


Stop whining or we will call for a ban of the starter of the thread.



I support the ban :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

oya, Murds, ban ANC quick quick :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

but with a name like ANC, if we ban am, we fit become trophyless like Ghana o! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

_________________
Image
AFCON 2015 sweet o
Barren for 35 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 36379
Location: UK
1naija wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
If we can talk about why there are so many black players in the NBA, why there are so few black coaches in England, why there are so few minorities in boardrooms, why disproportionately more black men are in prisons in the US, then we can discuss ethnicity in our national team. It is a sociological phenomenon and worthy of discussion without any ostrich-like pretense, as long as it is done in a way that is not divisive.

I don't buy all this business of "seeing themselves as Nigerians" not as members of an ethnic group. You can be both. Human beings are multi-dimensional.

Most of our national teams from colonial times have been predominantly Igbo. It has a lot to do with success breeding success, the fact that the playing field is a lot more level than in the civil service for e.g, the fact that there could be more Igbos than our fraudulent censuses have led us to believe, etc.

The reason is mainly due to the fact that the SE have a more organised structure and you are right success breeds more success, as most youth can see a pathway, if you watch Nigerian American Football star soccer story Christian Okoye, you see the guy that scouted him for Athletics who was based in Germany. Not sure the SW have those kind of structures in place.

I dont know why anyone should be angry about the point being raised instead it should motivate them to go back to base and help to galvanize the next generation, what you and guys did in CIC old school is so inspiring, ten years from now we start to say why are their no Doctors from SW, let them go back home and invest.
I am 'angry' because the guy is being frivolous and as far as I can tell had no intention of having a meaningful discussion. It was more of ethnic baiting.
Moreover, who wants to have such a discussion a few weeks to the biggest sporting event on the planet of which we are part?

The topic in itself is not taboo. It simply takes a little bit of maturity.
After all, I started a discussion here some years ago on a similar topic in which I asked what was behind the phenomenal sporting success of the old Bendel State.
I suggested we should look into what I termed 'Bendelism' as a means to sporting success nationwide.


We don't care if you are angry. Your thread was was more ethnic baiting than this one eventhough you disguised it as "Bendelism. If you look at the original post on face value, it simply stated one man's observation of the list. It's you and some others who read ethnic meaning into it. The Tiv man didn't get upset. The Hausa man didn't get upset. No Kalabari man got upset. I didn't see a single Ogoni man get upset. Uncle Ogbunigwe whose area only produces book worms did not get upset. No Ijaw man got upset. Only you, the defender of the ethnic baiting despite a history of questionable posts with ethnic sentiments got angry. Abeg gerrrrout.
Sharrrap there.
Who is angry, abi your Okrika school no teach you the meaning of inverted comma?
Just say you are enjoying the ethnic baiting and move on.

As you obviously didn't even read the 'tribalistic' Bendelism thread, here it is for your coconut head to digest and weep for your okrika state: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=176154

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:20 am
Posts: 19604
Location: Chiraq
ANC wrote:
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.


Image

_________________
Image
Saints baby we did it

“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:48 am
Posts: 4811
Location: Port Harcourt
folem wrote:
oloye wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
kali wrote:
Gotti wrote:
South Africans are "dusting" us because Nigerians are busy defecting and emigrating (and secondly they also have better facilities)...

Go through the rosters of GB, the US, Canada and even some Scandinavian countries (forget the Gulf states that are just buying athletes) and see how many athletes of Nigerian origin you will find as opposed to South Africans. The likes of Tiffany Porter (nee Ofili), the daughter of CICOB's old school mate in Enugu, Ed Ofili (who was a record-setter for Nigeria), ended up captaining the GB athletics team, while Francis Obikwelu ended up setting European records for Portugal. There will always be outliers (e.g., Namibia with Federick Francis), but the depth and breath of world-class sprinters of Nigerian origin is unmatched in Africa (and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future).

How many are top 5 athletes in their field? Nigeria is overrated in athletics. The gene of speed is prevalent throughout Africa. But beyond that it helps to be lean like the cheetah. Frankie Fredericks was not an accident nor Van Niekerk nor the Botswana sprinter whose name I forget. The southern Africans have lean body frames and long legs while Nigerians tend to be muscular and heavier.

Fredericks Francis was a clear Outlier...
How many other Namibians have even achieved Olympic qualifying times?

It is one thing to constantly produce world-class sprinter and another to have the odd Botswanan or Ato Bolden or Kim Collins or the occasional world-class Chinese or Japanese sprinter (and the latter two nations have massive populations and much better facilities). Nonetheless, while I limited my discussion to the African continent (and specifically to sprinters), Nigerian sprinters have won Olympic sprint relay medals and have qualified for several Olympic sprint finals, which in itself is world-class. And frankly no rational person would argue that Blessing Okagbare’s numerous Diamond League victories are not world-class. As for body-type, as Airwolex has already noted, top Nigerian sprinters come in different body types - sort of like US, Jamaican and British sprinters (coincidentally the best sprinting countries in the world). The likes of Nesta Carter, Yohan Blake, Maurice Greene, Justin Gatlin and Shelley Ann-Fraser are stocky, while the likes of Usain Bolt, Allyson Felix, Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson are lean. Accordingly, as I alluded to in the intro to my initial post, if Nigeria invested in facilities (and training), and our top athletes stop defecting, nobody in Africa would come close in the sprinting department.


Nigerian athletes have never medaled in the 100,200,400 meters Olympics individual events. Relay doesn't count after all Bahamas has at one point or another had great relay teams. So no Nigeria is not world class. It has yet to produce a top 3 sprinter in any of those events.

Meanwhile Jamaica, USA, GB consistently produce top sprinters in these events.

Again Nigeria is overrated. We don't like the truth because it hurts.

Seriously Kali if you are going to insult a whole nation at least get the facts straight. No need pointing out the inadequacies of others without checking out your facts first.


He probably thinks men's events is all that counts. Although Nigeria is a little overrated IMO but we have the potential to excel.

Mary Onyali Bronze 200m 1996
Falilat Ogunkoya Bronze 400m 1996
Glory Alozie Silver 100mH 2000

Currently, Okagbare & Amusan are world class athletes and SA cannot compete with Nigeria in Women's sprint events but will challenge in Men's sprint events.

Egbunike won Silver @ World Championships in the 400m sprint in 1987.


He probably never heard of Chidi Imoh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 41956
Damunk wrote:
1naija wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Prince wrote:
cic old boy wrote:
If we can talk about why there are so many black players in the NBA, why there are so few black coaches in England, why there are so few minorities in boardrooms, why disproportionately more black men are in prisons in the US, then we can discuss ethnicity in our national team. It is a sociological phenomenon and worthy of discussion without any ostrich-like pretense, as long as it is done in a way that is not divisive.

I don't buy all this business of "seeing themselves as Nigerians" not as members of an ethnic group. You can be both. Human beings are multi-dimensional.

Most of our national teams from colonial times have been predominantly Igbo. It has a lot to do with success breeding success, the fact that the playing field is a lot more level than in the civil service for e.g, the fact that there could be more Igbos than our fraudulent censuses have led us to believe, etc.

The reason is mainly due to the fact that the SE have a more organised structure and you are right success breeds more success, as most youth can see a pathway, if you watch Nigerian American Football star soccer story Christian Okoye, you see the guy that scouted him for Athletics who was based in Germany. Not sure the SW have those kind of structures in place.

I dont know why anyone should be angry about the point being raised instead it should motivate them to go back to base and help to galvanize the next generation, what you and guys did in CIC old school is so inspiring, ten years from now we start to say why are their no Doctors from SW, let them go back home and invest.
I am 'angry' because the guy is being frivolous and as far as I can tell had no intention of having a meaningful discussion. It was more of ethnic baiting.
Moreover, who wants to have such a discussion a few weeks to the biggest sporting event on the planet of which we are part?

The topic in itself is not taboo. It simply takes a little bit of maturity.
After all, I started a discussion here some years ago on a similar topic in which I asked what was behind the phenomenal sporting success of the old Bendel State.
I suggested we should look into what I termed 'Bendelism' as a means to sporting success nationwide.


We don't care if you are angry. Your thread was was more ethnic baiting than this one eventhough you disguised it as "Bendelism. If you look at the original post on face value, it simply stated one man's observation of the list. It's you and some others who read ethnic meaning into it. The Tiv man didn't get upset. The Hausa man didn't get upset. No Kalabari man got upset. I didn't see a single Ogoni man get upset. Uncle Ogbunigwe whose area only produces book worms did not get upset. No Ijaw man got upset. Only you, the defender of the ethnic baiting despite a history of questionable posts with ethnic sentiments got angry. Abeg gerrrrout.
Sharrrap there.
Who is angry, abi your Okrika school no teach you the meaning of inverted comma?
Just say you are enjoying the ethnic baiting and move on.

As you obviously didn't even read the 'tribalistic' Bendelism thread, here it is for your coconut head to digest and weep for your okrika state: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=176154


I no go lie ... i dey enjoy am well well. :taunt: Everybody must contribute to this our Nigeria! Imagine how great this site will be if JAs contribute more than 13%. Granted it's hard to contribute much at 68 and 72.

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 1509
Tobi17 wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
13 igbo
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North
not sure bout Lokosa but sounds MIddle belt

NOt 75%.

I guess we can move on now

Only Shehu Abdullahi is a Northerner on that team... If you are counting Ahmed Musa, well he is ethically from the Northern part of Edo state, around Auchi if I'm not mistaken.


i also heard Musa was from Auchi but again, other sources say he is from Kano (abi na kaduna).

Simon Moses is from the North


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm
Posts: 41956
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
1naija wrote:
ANC wrote:
OMG
Lock Thread please Moderators, do your job.


Stop whining or we will call for a ban of the starter of the thread.



I support the ban :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

oya, Murds, ban ANC quick quick :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

but with a name like ANC, if we ban am, we fit become trophyless like Ghana o! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:



We still have CAN so we won't miss ANC!

_________________
Image

The Lord is my Shephard. I shall not be in want.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 1509
ANC wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
13 igbo
9 South south
4 Yoruba
3 North
not sure bout Lokosa but sounds MIddle belt

NOt 75%.

I guess we can move on now



:shock:

Damn you are a tribalist, how were you able to tell who's who abeg?


I can tell where anyone is from by their name or by mere looking at them. Even down to their states to some certain degree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:35 pm
Posts: 1509
airwolex wrote:
One of my friends was saying the other day that all Lagos soccer fans do nowadays is watch Chelsea and Arsenal and play bet Naija or nairabet. If not for MFM saving them self there would be no local team in Lagos a city of over 10 million.

I honestly don't know what happened to soccer in the SW. It has become a vast soccer wasteland. Maybe it was the Premiership. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:



Lagos is the center of football but most of those playing football are not Yorubas. I have a grassroot team in Lekki area and out of 30, we dont have upto 5 yorubas in that team. Its not bcos i am tribalist (i am yoruba but my mum Igbo).

Yorubas nowadays would rather go to school, "learn work", or do agbero.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fabio, Google [Bot], kajifu, mmeny, oyek and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group