Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13358
Location: Here
I thought that a player below 21 years can switch countries? This guy played only 13 minutes and now he cannot switch to Morocco? It's unfair!
Even Del Bosque feels guilty. Source


Court rejects Munir El-Haddadi’s appeal to play for Morocco
by Ramez Nathan
May 15, 2018

Photo: Aitor Alcalde/Getty Images

The Court of Arbitration For Sport (CAS) has rejected Munir El-Haddadi and the Moroccan Football Federation’s appeal against FIFA’s ruling, denying the player the chance to join the Atlas Lions squad in the World Cup.

El-Haddadi along with the Moroccan Football Federation filed an appeal to the CAS hoping the player would switch national allegiances from Spain and join Morocco’s troops prior to the World Cup.

However, FIFA and the Spanish Football Federation won the case, as the request of the former Barcelona forward has been denied by the CAS Panel after a hearing in Lausanne.

The 22-year-old has only featured once for the Spanish national team back in 2014 when he was part of Barcelona’s squad. In the past two seasons, El-Haddadi has been loaned to Valencia and Deportivo Alavés.

The player has been directly involved in 20 goals in all competitions for Alavés this season better than any Moroccan striker.

Source

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9293
The ruling was right because this would have opened a can of worms. Once you play a competitive game for the senior side that's it. You can no longer switch allegiances, regardless of your age.

This guy is 22 and may never play international football again. It is usually cases like this that make FIFA adjust the rules down the line. So hopefully it wasn't a totally wasted effort.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:22 pm
Posts: 5315
Location: Dallas/Houston, TX
Let this be a warning to the Tammy's and Ibe's of this world.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13358
Location: Here
Orion wrote:
The ruling was right because this would have opened a can of worms. Once you play a competitive game for the senior side that's it. You can no longer switch allegiances, regardless of your age.

This guy is 22 and may never play international football again. It is usually cases like this that make FIFA adjust the rules down the line. So hopefully it wasn't a totally wasted effort.

I could be wrong, but I believe FIFA used to allow switching as long as the player was below 21 years.

And the tough thing is that Haddadi only played 13 minutes for Spain.

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 13110
Kabalega wrote:
Orion wrote:
The ruling was right because this would have opened a can of worms. Once you play a competitive game for the senior side that's it. You can no longer switch allegiances, regardless of your age.

This guy is 22 and may never play international football again. It is usually cases like this that make FIFA adjust the rules down the line. So hopefully it wasn't a totally wasted effort.

I could be wrong, but I believe FIFA used to allow switching as long as the player was below 21 years.

And the tough thing is that Haddadi only played 13 minutes for Spain.



well he really should have asked himself if it was worth it. In a useless game as well. I hope he enjoyed every second of it. A 13 minute international career. :clap:

Tourunariga, Tammy, Udokai, Ibe, and all the rest. Good luck :biggrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:07 pm
Posts: 9130
And what's tragic about it? Most of his former spanish teammates from alaves wished they had the chance of playing for Spain, even it was only for a minute. He chose Spain, but is not good enough, tough luck

_________________
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:53 am
Posts: 3808
This is what happens when you think you are too good for a country of your heritage. What goes around comes around.

italy's El shaarawy comes to mind too...He is not that valued with Italy...but.. he would have been one of the main man for Egypt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm
Posts: 9293
Benedict Iroha wrote:
This is what happens when you think you are too good for a country of your heritage. What goes around comes around.

The guy was born and raised in Spain. Who would not jump at the opportunity to play for their country, especially one of the best in world football?

This is not the player's fault unless he previously turned down the opportunity to play for Morocco.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fabio, Google [Bot], kajifu, mmeny, oyek and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group