Which of the England squad is good enough to make the Eagles

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

nzeogwu
Egg
Egg
Which of the England squad is good enough to make the Eagles

Post by nzeogwu »

England World Cup Squad. I say onlt the four in bold? What do you say? No smart answers please.

Goalkeepers (3): Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley).

Defenders (9): Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Kyle Walker, John Stones (Manchester City), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jones, Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Midfielders (6): Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham Hotspur), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea).

Forwards (5): Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal) Harry Kane (Tottenham).

Standby: Tom Heaton, James Tarkowski (Burnley), Lewis Cook (Bournemouth), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Adam Lallana (Liverpool)
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Which of the England squad is good enough to make the Ea

Post by Rawlings »

all of them will easily walk into eagles starting 11
You know why?

Because they play "abroad"
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

If Victor Moses hadn't switch allegiance, he probably will be on that list.
If not for Jesus, where will i be?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

oyek wrote:If Victor Moses hadn't switch allegiance, he probably will be on that list.
It's easier to answer the reverse. How many Eagles can stroll onto Southgate's England team?

Mikel, Ndidi?, Vic Mo and maybe Iwobi.
Did I leave out anyone?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

oyek wrote:If Victor Moses hadn't switch allegiance, he probably will be on that list.

And he would probably be making more than he is now at Chelsea. He is one of the least payed players.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Only Kane and their goalkeeper will start for Nigeria.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Raheem Sterling, Dele Ali, Gary Cahill, Ashley Young
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

ohenhen1 wrote:Only Kane and their goalkeeper will start for Nigeria.

yeah right :dream:
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Do u mean squad or starting 11 ?

In a joint starting 11, only Mikel, Ndidi, and maybe Moses would make the team. And that is being generous.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I've not been keeping up with EPL games, but when did Ashley Young become a defender?

I always imagined Chris Smalling would be the defender selected from ManU.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Orion wrote:I've not been keeping up with EPL games, but when did Ashley Young become a defender?

Really? :rotf: He’s been playing LB and has been good at it.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
ROTC
Egg
Egg

Post by ROTC »

Orion wrote:I've not been keeping up with EPL games, but when did Ashley Young become a defender?

I'm bit more surprised Phil Jones was picked ahead of Chris Smalling - can't be sporting reasons for sure. Chris has much better stats and actually played more games.
American Police: Under trained, Over armed and a threat to all of society
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ROTC wrote:

I'm bit more surprised Phil Jones was picked ahead of Chris Smalling - can't be sporting reasons for sure. Chris has much better stats and actually played more games.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Chris Smalling is NOT half the player Jones is. Not even close. Jones is actually the best English defender, straight up. No one is close to him. His problem is that he cant stay fit. Jones is a player that is injured for 3 months, and once he comes back, without wasting time, Mourinho takes him straight back into the starting 11. He is that good. Smalling on the other hand is a mistake waiting to happen. A defender who cannot even judge the flight of the ball.

His exclusion from the national team may be personal-- since he spoke against Southgate when he was left out for the last friendly. However, when it comes to Jones vs Smalling. Its not even close.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ROTC
Egg
Egg

Post by ROTC »

danfo driver wrote:
ROTC wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Chris Smalling is NOT half the player Jones is. Not even close. Jones is actually the best English defender, straight up. No one is close to him. His problem is that he cant stay fit. Jones is a player that is injured for 3 months, and once he comes back, without wasting time, Mourinho takes him straight back into the starting 11. He is that good. Smalling on the other hand is a mistake waiting to happen. A defender who cannot even judge the flight of the ball.

His exclusion from the national team may be personal-- since he spoke against Southgate when he was left out for the last friendly. However, when it comes to Jones vs Smalling. Its not even close.
Your opinion, dude.

The facts beg to differ:

Phil Jones
https://www.premierleague.com/players/3 ... ones/stats

Chris Smalling
https://www.premierleague.com/players/3 ... ling/stats
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Kabalega wrote:
It's easier to answer the reverse. How many Eagles can stroll onto Southgate's England team?

Did I leave out anyone?

Iwobi? :lol:

Only Ndidi and Victor Moses.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ROTC wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
ROTC wrote:

Your opinion, dude.

The facts beg to differ:

Phil Jones

Chris Smalling
sorry bro, i watch games. i dont need links to tell me anything.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Everyone bar Jake Livermore and MAYBE Lewis Cook would make our squad easy. Matter of fact Mikel and Moses are only good enough to be bench players. Ndidi has a 40 percent chance of starting (depending on the formation Southgate plays)
ROTC
Egg
Egg

Post by ROTC »

danfo driver wrote:
ROTC wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
ROTC wrote:

Your opinion, dude.

The facts beg to differ:

Phil Jones

Chris Smalling
sorry bro, i watch games. i dont need links to tell me anything.
Ok Pep, point taken :D
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

I think you need to analyze the positions and if you do you realize that individually that many of our players wouldn't even make it into England's squad.

Goalkeepers: Plainly speaking, none of our goalkeepers are at the level of the goalkeepers of the current England Squad. Uzoho could get to that level but Ezenwa, Akpeyi and Ajiboye are far from that level, even though the England keepers aren't the best.

Defenders: I don't care what anyone says but England's full backs make ours look like also rans. They have full backs that are good at both going forward and defending and I think that will be one of England's strengths when they arrive at the big show. Center backs on the other hand are not that much better than ours but they are better than ours individually to be prone to less mistakes and pass a bit better.

Midfielders: This is where I think we are on level terms with England. Of all the midfielders that England brought, non of their defensive mids are as good as Ndidi when it comes to being an out and out destroyer. They also don't have a creative central mid like Wilshere which when you look at their team they don't have a Mikel equivalent. Also they didn't bring a lot of attacking mids as I feel Dele Alli in the attacking mid role isn't that much better than Iwobi. As a second striker he does show his class over Iwobi.

Attackers: Let's face it here, England have many weapons to Choose from and have more consistent goal scorers and goal threats than we do. They have Sterling, Vardy, Kane etc. Their two main strikers are better than pretty much any striker we have had in the past 16 years.

Compared to the best teams in the world their team isn't that great but compared to ours on paper they are clearly a better side.

Now skipping all of that the real question is can they work as a team? You can have all the quality in the world but if you don't have the team chemistry, hard work or style of play, your team will fail.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ANC wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Did I leave out anyone?

Who will bench Iwobi? And Who will bench Mikel? I am not having an argument, per se, just trying to find out from you who you think is better than Iwobi and Mikel
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

danfo driver wrote:
ANC wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Did I leave out anyone?

Who will bench Iwobi? And Who will bench Mikel? I am not having an argument, per se, just trying to find out from you who you think is better than Iwobi and Mikel
Dele Alli and Sterling would Bench Iwobi. I don't think any of the midfielders can Bench Mikel though.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

There has never been a Nigerian good enough for her Royal Majesty ‘s team. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

So in essence, we are a bad team or a good team that lacks world class individuals?