Michel Platini claims 'trickery' over 1998 WC Draw

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Michel Platini claims 'trickery' over 1998 WC Draw

Post by Kabalega »

Mo Salah had better knockout teams otherwise their group will be rigged for Russia.
World Cup: Michel Platini claims 'trickery' over 1998 tournament draw
6 hours ago From the sectionEuropean Football

Platini was part of the official delegation at the 1998 final
"A little trickery" was employed for the 1998 World Cup draw to ensure France and Brazil did not meet until the final, disgraced former Uefa president Michel Platini has claimed.

The French hosted and won their first World Cup 20 years ago, beating holders Brazil 3-0 in the final in Paris.

Former France captain Platini was on the tournament's organising committee.

"When we organised the schedule, we did a little trickery," he told radio station France Bleu Sport.

"France-Brazil in the final, it was the dream of everyone.

"If we finished first in the group and Brazil finished first, we could not meet before the final."

He laughed as he went on: "We did not spend six years organising the World Cup to not do some little shenanigans. Do you think other World Cup hosts did not?"

Brazil and France were the top teams in the Fifa rankings heading into the tournament and were among the eight top-seeded teams.

Two days before the draw took take place, world governing body Fifa announced that holders Brazil would be allocated to Group A while France were in Group C.

It meant that if the two teams finished top they would be on opposite sides of the draw for the knockout stage.

Both made it through to the final at Stade de France where two goals from Zinedine Zidane and another from Emmanuel Petit gave the French a famous victory.

However, at all of the World Cup final tournaments since 1986 - with the exception of 2002 which had two hosts - if the hosts and the holders won their group, they have been kept apart for the knockout stages.

In a statement, Fifa said it had no comment to make on Platini's remarks.

Platini and former Fifa counterpart Sepp Blatter were found guilty in 2015 of ethics breaches over a 2m Swiss Franc (£1.3m) "disloyal payment".

Platini was given an eight-year ban from all football-related activities - later reduced to four on appeal.

The 62-year-old has always maintained his innocence and in January it was reported he had taken the case to the European Court of Human Rights.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44170578
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Michel Platini claims 'trickery' over 1998 WC Draw

Post by Odas »

Assuming Platini is saying the truth, why reveal the trick you (France) applied? You did what you did (long time ago) and it worked, why coming now to make noise about it? Is this man looking for attention of some sort? Just wondering
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Odas wrote:Assuming Platini is saying the truth, why reveal the trick you (France) applied? You did what you did (long time ago) and it worked, why coming now to make noise about it? Is this man looking for attention of some sort? Just wondering
He might still be bitter after being kicked out of FIFA.
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ipe Grams wrote:
Odas wrote:Assuming Platini is saying the truth, why reveal the trick you (France) applied? You did what you did (long time ago) and it worked, why coming now to make noise about it? Is this man looking for attention of some sort? Just wondering
He might still be bitter after being kicked out of FIFA.
:idea: Thus raising awareness to ongoing FIFA shenanigans?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

:veryangry: so corruption and fraud in Europe is now defined as trickery? Okay ooo.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Very good question and the world deserve an answer. Why come out with this and why now?
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Naive is the word that best describes those who believe there is no trickery in anything that is worth multi billion Dollars. If you think those refs are making mistakes with crucial decisions you may continue to live in a dream castle.

Of course Platini is bitter, how dare they believe everything is clean just becauase they made a scapegoat of one or two naughty officials who did not play to the script.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

joplass wrote:
Very good question and the world deserve an answer. Why come out with this and why now?
Guilty conscience?
Maybe no one ever asked him?
Now he has nothing to lose?
Or he is sending a warning that it is still going on?

Whatever the motive, one thing is clear, for the good of the sport, speaking out is better than keeping quiet.
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

A draw fixed or otherwise does not guarantee progress.
Shadams
Egg
Egg

Post by Shadams »

oloye wrote:Naive is the word that best describes those who believe there is no trickery in anything that is worth multi billion Dollars. If you think those refs are making mistakes with crucial decisions you may continue to live in a dream castle.

Of course Platini is bitter, how dare they believe everything is clean just because they made a scapegoat of one or two naughty officials who did not play to the script.
My thoughts exactly.
Comment is free, but facts are sacred-- C.P Scott
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

When I talked about heating up balls etc people think say lie I dey talk. Fixing going on
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote::veryangry: so corruption and fraud in Europe is now defined as trickery? Okay ooo.
Before nko?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote::veryangry: so corruption and fraud in Europe is now defined as trickery? Okay ooo.
Before nko?
Na today dem start use words to polish their crookedness!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Well remember the world cup referee for Nigeria vs Argentina in 1994 is my good friend! He is Swedish, he told me FIFA were corrupt to the core
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Guys in the World Cup they make attempts to separate hosts and holders until the final by seeding them in opposite groups, that is what Platini is probably referring to. Sorry to disappoint you about there being a larger scandal at World Cups. Yes I know FIFA is corrupt and during games does what they can to give unfair advantages to bigger countries and hosts.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

pajimoh wrote:When I talked about heating up balls etc people think say lie I dey talk. Fixing going on
Chief what happens when they heat up the ball?

For me it's clear trickery is involved in how they set up the European qualifiers for the world cup. England never does anything at the world cup but notice how they consistently have very easy groups guaranteeing qualification. They are rubbish at football but having them qualify is very good for FIFA business
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

marko wrote:Well remember the world cup referee for Nigeria vs Argentina in 1994 is my good friend! He is Swedish, he told me FIFA were corrupt to the core
He is your good friend? Can you slap him for me? Thanks in advance.

Wha choo looking at?!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
marko wrote:Well remember the world cup referee for Nigeria vs Argentina in 1994 is my good friend! He is Swedish, he told me FIFA were corrupt to the core
He is your good friend? Can you slap him for me? Thanks in advance.
No, he is actually a very nice fellow, believe me or not, Nigeria biggest mistake was fielding Eguavoen in that world cup in 1994, any other quality defender, Nigeria would have got to the quarter-finals at least
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko