Brighton near deal for Nigeria international defender Leon B

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kako
Egg
Egg
Brighton near deal for Nigeria international defender Leon B

Post by Kako »

http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-trans ... un-sources

Brighton near deal for Nigeria international defender Leon Balogun - sources

Brighton & Hove Albion are close to signing Nigerian international defender Leon Balogun from Mainz, sources have told ESPN FC.

Balogun is out of contract at Mainz this summer and Brighton look set to bring him to the Amex Stadium on a free transfer.

The 29-year-old, who can play at centre-back and full-back, made 15 appearances in all competitions for Mainz this season as they managed to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga.

Balogun, who has won 16 caps for Nigeria, helped the Super Eagles qualify for this summer's World Cup and he is set to feature for his country in Russia next month.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is eager to strengthen his squad after securing survival this season in their first campaign in the Premier League and he has set up a deal for Balogun.

Hughton is keen to add defensive cover to his squad having seen Uwe Hunemeier leave the club to SC Paderborn earlier this offseason and Balogun's versatility in that he can play anywhere across the backline makes him an attractive proposition.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: Brighton near deal for Nigeria international defender Le

Post by Rawlings »

never happening
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Rawlings wrote:never happening, Black Stars winning AFCON
Na you talk am :sneaky:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

nice. Hope its true. Bally would suit the EPL
I'm Surprised they didnt make the Tomori deal permanent. He was a key player in their defence the season before last
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Looks like I will be a Brighton WE next season - black coach, Balo balling for them :thumbs:
http://www.naijiant.com/
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Kako wrote:http://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-trans ... un-sources

Brighton near deal for Nigeria international defender Leon Balogun - sources

Brighton & Hove Albion are close to signing Nigerian international defender Leon Balogun from Mainz, sources have told ESPN FC.

Balogun is out of contract at Mainz this summer and Brighton look set to bring him to the Amex Stadium on a free transfer.

The 29-year-old, who can play at centre-back and full-back, made 15 appearances in all competitions for Mainz this season as they managed to avoid relegation from the Bundesliga.

Balogun, who has won 16 caps for Nigeria, helped the Super Eagles qualify for this summer's World Cup and he is set to feature for his country in Russia next month.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton is eager to strengthen his squad after securing survival this season in their first campaign in the Premier League and he has set up a deal for Balogun.

Hughton is keen to add defensive cover to his squad having seen Uwe Hunemeier leave the club to SC Paderborn earlier this offseason and Balogun's versatility in that he can play anywhere across the backline makes him an attractive proposition.
I think this will be a good move for the lad. Brighton are getting experience and the EPL will give Balogun that ruggedness to take his game that notch higher. He will succeed here.
To stop trying is to start dying
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Suprisingly Chris Houghton the coach is intrested in so many Nigerian players at once, leon Balogun, Ahmed Musa and Moses Simeon
afc##
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

chuks69 wrote:Suprisingly Chris Houghton the coach is intrested in so many Nigerian players at once, leon Balogun, Ahmed Musa and Moses Simeon

He needs a winger bad. Route 1 football leads to a cul de sac.
OCCUPY NFF!!
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
chuks69 wrote:Suprisingly Chris Houghton the coach is intrested in so many Nigerian players at once, leon Balogun, Ahmed Musa and Moses Simeon

He needs a winger bad. Route 1 football leads to a cul de sac.
Have you even seen Brighton play?
They don't play route one football at all and they already have two very good wingers in Anthony Knockert and Jose Izquidero.
YNWA
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

At 29 and not exceptionally quick, I’m not sure the EPL is right for him but we shall see. I mean playing for a defensive minded coach though, who won’t leave you exposed, will help as well. So maybe not as bad as I thought initially
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pajimoh wrote:
Rawlings wrote:never happening, Black Stars winning AFCON
Na you talk am :sneaky:

In Jesus mighty and glorious name, Amen!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

anikulapo wrote:At 29 and not exceptionally quick, I’m not sure the EPL is right for him but we shall see. I mean playing for a defensive minded coach though, who won’t leave you exposed, will help as well. So maybe not as bad as I thought initially
Lol. You don’t need pace as a defender when you have the most important ingredient— positioning. Pace is for those defenders who don’t know how to position themselves and always need to “recover.”
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:
anikulapo wrote:At 29 and not exceptionally quick, I’m not sure the EPL is right for him but we shall see. I mean playing for a defensive minded coach though, who won’t leave you exposed, will help as well. So maybe not as bad as I thought initially
Lol. You don’t need pace as a defender when you have the most important ingredient— positioning. Pace is for those defenders who don’t know how to position themselves and always need to “recover.”
when i saw the pace part, I laughed so hard... John Terry, etc don't have pace... lol
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
when i saw the pace part, I laughed so hard... John Terry, etc don't have pace... lol
Pace is good but not essential.
It is only essential for defenders who are "all over the place" i.e. defender wey him head no dey house. :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
oyek
Egg
Egg

Post by oyek »

If not for Jesus, where will i be?
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

How quick was Taribo West :?: :!:

Cheers.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

[quote="oyek"] Great move well done Balogun
Hope he stays fit
Brighton are a solid side but they are too dependent on knochaert and the right full back for their creativity
Mooys is a serviceable player but they need real class in the attacking midfield area
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

Cheers.
Abi o!
OCCUPY NFF!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Cheers.

You obviously didn’t see Taribo or must’ve forgotten. Lad was quick in his younger days at Sharks, Rangers and in france ....

I’m laughing at goats comparing Balogun to Terry :lol: :lol: Total morons who know nothing about football. Again defense is about team structure and how quickly you Can read and react to situations.

Any coach who knows his stuff can isolate a slow defender especially when they have the lead and that defender can’t sit back in a parked bus but will get exposed as fullbacks push on to support the attack more
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Cheers.
Abi o!

You are comparing Balogun to Taribo West and the era he played in? What kinda morons am I dealin with :rotf:

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
It is only essential for defenders who are "all over the place" i.e. defender wey him head no dey house. :lol:

You do know we are talking about the EPL right?

Anyway he is lucky he is playing in a defensive minded team where he will get protected. But eventually savvy coaches will watch enough game film and exploit his weaknesses. It’s pretty easy to expose a defender lacking in athleticism .

Don’t get me wrong. I love Balogun but tell me how many current top central defenders lack athleticism ????

It’s so hard to play the modern game without mobile defenders ..,, the pace, power and athleticism of the current game is at an all time high especially in the EPL .

Listen I’m just worried for the boy Biko

MLK.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Rawlings wrote:never happening
Don't you ever get tired of being wrong.

Haterade go soon burst ya belle!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

anikulapo wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

You do know we are talking about the EPL right?

Anyway he is lucky he is playing in a defensive minded team where he will get protected. But eventually savvy coaches will watch enough game film and exploit his weaknesses. It’s pretty easy to expose a defender lacking in athleticism .

Don’t get me wrong. I love Balogun but tell me how many current top central defenders lack athleticism ????

It’s so hard to play the modern game without mobile defenders ..,, the pace, power and athleticism of the current game is at an all time high especially in the EPL .

Listen I’m just worried for the boy Biko
Doesn’t sound like yourre worried for him
This Just Sounds like bad belle
If you “loved Balogun “ you’d wish him well and move on
Balogun lacks athleticism lol
The rubbish people post on this site..Christ