The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2019

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2

Post by Siddonlook11 »

oloye wrote:No wonder we hardly do anything.....premature celebrations
Edited for accuracy :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

ojafranpa wrote:@MrArsenicTM
Goal understand that Unai Emery spoke with Arsène before taking the job & he was advised about the areas that need strengthening in the squad.
Nooooooo!!! Now why would he have done that? :? If Arsene knew what needed strengthening, then why didn't he do It? :???:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

SylverEagles wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:@MrArsenicTM
Goal understand that Unai Emery spoke with Arsène before taking the job & he was advised about the areas that need strengthening in the squad.
Nooooooo!!! Now why would he have done that? :? If Arsene knew what needed strengthening, then why didn't he do It? :???:
There is nothing wrong with speaking with Wenger. Accepting his recommendation is another matter.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

azuka wrote:Welcome Unai Emery. You got my support.

Will you withdraw ya support when he wisely lops off Ozil and Xhacrap :taunt: :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Welcome Unai Emery.....

Biko we Arsenal fans like indomie noodles.. we dont like to wait for anything as our last manager made us waitttttttttt to long we have now moved to the other extreme.

No blame us o, na condition make crayfish bend.

Thank you.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Emery will do well.

He can start by winning the EL next year! Instant history, as the club has not achieved this in a long time. Anyone thinking we will win the league is delusional!
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

[/video]
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Daniel Zeqiri
22 MAY 2018 • 3:39PM
Arsenal are ready to appoint Unai Emery as head coach following a last-minute change of heart about handing the keys to Mikel Arteta. It is a 180-degree pirouette that the departing Santi Cazorla would have been proud of. Switching from the untried but bold option in Arteta to the apparently safer but more vanilla Emery is a dramatic change of tack.

Nevertheless, though Arsenal fans might have doubts about the process that led to his impending arrival, they have no choice but to get behind the former Paris Saint-Germain manager. So what can they expect from Emery and how might an Arsenal team set up under his tutelage?

Coaching style

Emery is willing to adapt to the players at his disposal and cut his cloth accordingly. That was a crucial component of his work at Sevilla, where player recruitment was the responsibility of director of football Monchi. Arsenal are transitioning to this 'continental' structure to avoid power resting in the hands of one man again, as it seemed to under Arsène Wenger.

Compared to Wenger, Emery is quite the contrast. The Frenchman had a very holistic view of the game. Wenger had a clear conception of the football he wanted Arsenal to play, but would leave room for players to use their intuition to realise that vision. 'Organised improvisation' was one deft description of Arsenal's approach.

The Spaniard is a demanding coach who asks his players for their full attention, but there are doubts about his man-management. Emery struggled to manage PSG's dressing room, eventually acquiescing to the desire of some senior players to revert back to their tried and trusted 4-3-3. However, the French champions are a unique club with unusual management structures and uniquely close relationships between certain players and the ownership. There was a feeling that Emery never managed to lay down the law to some of their star players. Arsenal's dressing room should be more pliable.

Tactics

Emery is known as a 4-2-3-1 man, that sometimes morphs into a 4-4-2 shape when his teams face superior opposition and are forced to defend in their half. As stated, he will pore over hours of video footage studying opposition and is willing to adapt his approach.

Without launching into a tactical dossier, an interesting feature of his sides are the movements of the three central midfield players. At Sevilla, first Grzegorz Krychowiak and then Steven NZonzi anchored the team in a defensive midfield role, dropping between the centre backs to build play. The ostensible 'No.10', at Sevilla this was Ever Benaga, would then move into the space they vacated to collect possession and get the team moving.

Though the defensive side of his game needs work, that deep-lying role should suit Granit Xhaka who is so much better with the game in front of him. At times under Wenger, he was asked to press up the pitch, which both exposed his lack of recovery pace and his difficulties receiving the ball on the half-turn. Mesut Ozil can play the central attacking midfield spot blindfolded, and last season already started to drop deeper in search of the ball - a natural development as he approaches 30. So could we see something like this?

Arsenal might look for a new goalkeeper, while the centre back position is in a complete state of flux with a mixture of the chronically injured, the untrusted and the inexperienced. Hector Bellerin is a blessing for the new manager, and he might have to squeeze another year out of Nacho Monreal. Aaron Ramsey's future is uncertain, but there are reports he views Ramsey as a player he wants to build the team around.

Arsenal are also devoid of a genuine winger or wide-forward, unless Alexandre Lacazette is shunted out to the flank. If Emery wants to play with a back four, Arsenal need to strengthen there. Emery, who worked with Juan Mata and David Silva at Valencia, quite likes one of his wide players to be able to play inside in the 'half-space', something Henrikh Mkhitaryan is ideal for. Arsenal could really use some pace and menace on the other flank for balance, however.

Playing style

It is nigh-on impossible to gauge how quickly Emery will be able to forge a team in his image, but based on his previous teams there are some tentative predictions we can make. The free-form style with players rotating positions freely is likely to give way to a clearer structure with players designated clear roles. Arsenal might well be sprinting more too -Emery's sides have a reputation of being good pressers.

In Wenger's last few seasons, Arsenal swayed between attempts at a high-pressing style and dropping off into a defensive shape. It was difficult to infer when and why each strategy would be employed, sometimes it looked like it was down to the whim of individual players.

When Arsenal did commit to pressing, it was often in the style of 'playground football', with players sprinting towards the ball without a coordinated, collective approach. As Leroy Sane's goal in Manchester City's 3-0 win at the Emirates proved, top-quality opposition can play through that. Imposing a repeatable and reliable defensive strategy will be one of Emery's first jobs.

Record

Emery impressed at Andalusian club Almeria, winning them their first promotion to the La Liga in 2007 and guiding them to their highest-ever league finish of eighth in 2008. He succeeded Ronald Koeman at Valencia, and finished third in three successive seasons though he did have players such as Mata, Silva and David Villa at his disposal.

Following an unhappy spell at Spartak Moscow, he returned to Spain at Sevilla where he won the Europa League in three successive seasons but never finished in La Liga's top-four. In 2015-16 they failed to win a single away league match.

In his first season at PSG, as the overwhelming favourites, his team finished second to Monaco in Ligue 1 but did win both cups. They responded with a domestic treble this season however, meaning Emery leaves France with five medals in his pocket. The lack of Champions League success did for him but, to be frank, that competition is of not concern to Arsenal next season.

Stats

46 years old.
Career win percentage of 54 percent.
10 major honours including three Europa Leagues, a competition Arsenal are in next season.
£50 million - Arsenal's reported net transfer budget.
Emery will be the fourth manager in Premier League history with two names that start with a vowel (after Ossie Ardiles, Egil Olsen and Alan Irvine).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... w-manager/
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Unai Emery | In his own words
“Fans want their emotions to come to the surface and the only to way to make that happen is to give them a team that transmits emotion: intensity, attacking, scoring goals, competing, fighting."
Emery on his philosophy.

“For every game I might have spent 12 hours just on the video. Videos are very important."
Emery on his match preparation.

“Mourinho’s stance is that of a crybaby. We have reasons to draw up a list with errors and to make a public complaint for every time we have been adversely affected, but we don’t.”

Emery while Jose Mourinho was Real Madrid manager in 2010.

“The Champions League is nice, and we want to play in it, but you meet the very top teams in that competition and they overcome you. When you are in the Europa League, you know you can win it.”
​Emery on the Europa League.

Source: UK Telegraph.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Bernd Leno GK , 26 wants to join Arsenal. 20 MP from Bayer Leverkusen.

I guess that is your Cech replacement.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

My analysis and quick views on Unai Emery, his tactics and football philosophy.

First off, this is a man who has made public his admiration for Wenger. They are also very good friends. I believe the stories that Wenger was involved in his recruitment.

Unai Emery: "In my head, everything is clear. My philosophy is not difficult to understand: I defend to attack. The game system is only a practical projection of what you think. But then with 20 players I can create hundreds of combinations. Why would I deprive myself of it?"

Emery sees himself as an attack-minded coach, but the evidence from watching him at Almeria, Valencia and even at times at PSG suggest otherwise. Who remembers PSG at home against us in the CL, Emery played 3 DMs (Rabiot Matuidi and Krychowiak) with another DM, Verrati at number 10. Emery is a very pragmatic coach despite playing the attacking game. I have watched his teams play all 3 different defensive blocks. So he knows how to set up teams to defend in any scheme. Indeed, he sets up his team to be compact, and from a defensive foundation he attacks. This is very much like the young Arsene Wenger. Also, like the young Wenger, he likes the physical side of the game. His teams also have a dark side and are adepth at gamesmanship and tricks.

He gets his teams organised behind the ball, but not the best at opening up deep defensive blocks. This is one thing he must work on cos teams are very adept at parking the bus in the league. However he is a real student of the game, so I am convinced he will aware and be prepared to deal with problem in our league. Indeed it is said he surprised the Arsenal recruitment team with his dossiers of knowledge of every Arsenal player, including the Youth teams. Even had ideas of how to improve each player.

Emery is a pragmatist with his tactics and prepares accordingly. He scouts opponents meticulously, and gives his players dossiers of their opponents to prepare for games. He makes his own videos and put its on USB sticks for his players to study their opponents before games. Of course not all players are impressed as we know from Valencia and PSG. This is where he might have problems with information overload of players in our league.

Some players questioned his methods and wondered why they should worry so much about the opposition and not spend the same on themselves. He said himself that up to a quarter of his thinking before a game is about the opposition.

Emery's favourite formation is 4-2-3-1, but like most of the top Coaches he is flexible, he changes it during games and often plays different formations with and without the ball. His next favourite is 4-3-3 and he occasionally uses the 4-1-4-1 formation.

He likes pushing full-backs high when he is not being pressed, which is good for Bellerin/Kolasinac. But, he is not one to use both Wide/Full Backs in attack simultaneously. He plays a Regista/DM and in the past let his DM slot into a false back three for this phase, this will be good for Xhaka. However, he likes a physical tackler in there, don't forget he took Krychowiak with him to PSG for this reason.

Emery keeps his sides compact and likes a goalkeeper who can involve himself in build-up play. He also encourages his wide players to drop deep making the free man in space, he likes moving the ball to find the free man in build-up play. I will hazard a guess and say Emery's Arsenal will probably be harder to press high than Wenger's because, he will instruct his players to drop back in numbers to form passing outlets. Also, he will hit the long ball or just kick the ball out of play instead of forcing the play and giving away the ball.

Emery prefers his wide players hanging in the half spaces, rather than wide. The likes of Iwobi and Mkhitaryan would benefit from this, it forces opponents into a narrow shape, another feature is, his wide players often drop deeper to pull defences out, creating spaces behind. I have observed his teams tend to struggle against deep defensive blocks - a concern cos it is a speciality in the EPL.

At PSG, he got Cavani move into the half spaces in and around the box, making use of the spaces created by PSG's passing and movement behind. I am very interested in seeing him utilise Lacazette and Aubameyang, if he goes with both, they both have top movement and it could be the answer to deep defensive blocks defending.

Emery's teams are also good pressers. He prefers to use zonal pressing schemes, forcing the ball wide, whilst keeping his teams central. He is a very good organiser of the deep block but his side's tend to struggle to counter attack from the deep positions.

Emery was my wish to replace Wenger. I never felt PSG was the job for him, his philosophy was far too pragmatic to keep his players happy. For Arsenal, it is key they got a Coach that can win under pressure of working with a small budget. He thrived under a small budget and underdogs at Sevilla, but he did not have to deal with the type of pressure he will face at Arsenal. I am calling it a perfect fit because all he needs is Millistat and co to deliver better quality players than Monchi did for him at Sevilla and I am confident we will be top 4 and challenging for the title.

Arsenal have a lot of young players, the olders ones are still very adaptable, so Emery will get Arsenal to adapt to his philosophy, which is not far away from Wenger's. IMHO, there is far more continuity with Wenger than total change, so adapting will not be revolutionary, it will be evolutionary. The key to it all will be how many new players come in the summer, the more the players, the longer the transition process. It is going to be an interesting transition for Arsenal, but there is potential for a lot the players to develop. I am hopeful it will work out.

For me, I cannot be happier. Unai Emery is a great signing. As much as I was willing to accept Arteta, I was always concerned about his inexperience and it would have been a huge gamble going for Arteta. What we needed was a man like Emery with the experience of working under the new type of structure Arsenal have put in place.

He is the best manager on the market right now and we got him. Now the Board must deliver in the transfer window to get Arsenal back in the CL.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Welcome aboard Señor Emery. Please make sure you don’t leave Mbappe behind. Gracias Señor. :D
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Thunder wrote:Welcome aboard Señor Emery. Please make sure you don’t leave Mbappe behind. Gracias Señor. :D
Why forget Neymar and Verratti while you are at it :woot:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Cech has saved a single penalty in 3 years at Arsenal.
That's an embarrassment. It is not bad luck, he can't save them. He always dives late. Like I said, just shoot it 5 yards either way of his frame ... it is a sure goal.
Bepanda
ohenhen1 wrote:
bepanda wrote:The guy who can't save a penalty.
The guy defenders can't pass the ball to, ... he will get even slower next season and probably more awkward.
At his age, you don't get better. You get slower and worse every day...
Cech looks decent, when you shoot straight at his large frame. If you put the ball 5 yards to the right or to the left, he has no chance.
He has no springs in his legs. It is so obvious, when you see him diving for balls.
His only advantage over Ospina is his height gives the impression that he has better commands of the 18 yards box.
Bepanda
ohenhen1 wrote:Cech is just 36. He was okay last season. Will rather spend the funds on defenders. Can always address the goalkeeper situation next season.
He saved penalties to win the CL. So you want to get rid of Cech because he can't save penalties. Who do you want as the replacement and for how much? What are you going to do about Cech wages?
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

anikulapo wrote:
Thunder wrote:Welcome aboard Señor Emery. Please make sure you don’t leave Mbappe behind. Gracias Señor. :D
Why forget Neymar and Verratti while you are at it :woot:
Nor vex o Aniks. Señor Emery, please bring Neymar and Veratti as well. Also, a special request for my brother, bring Özil II, & Ozil III. He likes his Ozils rare, welldone, and sautéed in French wine. :lol:
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

anikulapo wrote:
Will you withdraw ya support when he wisely lops off Ozil and Xhacrap :taunt: :taunt:
Definitely.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Definitely.
Unai Emery on Mesut Özil: "He’s one of the biggest talents here at Arsenal and I want talented players here. I want to spend time with him, all of the players, speak to them about how inspired and excited I am to be here. I want the players to feel that as well."
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Definitely.
Unai Emery on Mesut Özil: "He’s one of the biggest talents here at Arsenal and I want talented players here. I want to spend time with him, all of the players, speak to them about how inspired and excited I am to be here. I want the players to feel that as well."
That's not saying much. Could mean everything, could also mean nothing. Typical boilerplate comment of a new coach. It's like telling an ugly beauty contestant she's very inspiring.

I wouldn't read anything into it.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

A lot of Gooners yesterday getting carried away. Arsenal Twitter and Facebook are a farce.

Saw a comment that said of the press conference and I quote.

"Meet the new Manager, Ivan Galzidis and his Assistant, Unai Emery".

This, effectively is the beef for most. The majority see Galzidis as going above his station and they resent it. This is even worse in my WhatsApp groups, where there is irrational and open hostility towards the man.

I have some people, albeit a minority with whom I have already had serious arguments cos of my happiness of the choice of Emery, on my Arsenal WhatsApp groups who are disappointed Unai Emery is the man. They openly admit, the Board have got the perfect man, they are vexed cause, 'he will to stop the Board being exposed' to paraphrase them . They do not like the fact that Arsenal have the best man in the circumstances. I just cannot understand this type if mentality.

The Americans who responded, commented that they do not see why there is a problem if Galzidis steps out and becomes the spokesperson for the club, they likened it to the system in America and the General Managers of each franchise.

The Americans were brutally slapped down. They were quickly reminded, Arsenal is a local cummunity based and grown football club that has grown into a club with vast global appeal on the sole basis on it being a football club, not a franchise that can be uprooted and moved to any town or City.

Football clubs have the man in charge of the football as the leader representing the club. The fans they argue, see the Coach or whatever they call him as their voice and leader. People like Galzidis and Millistat should stay forever in the background because are irrelevant to the pure business of football.

I must say, I completely agree with the view that Galzidis should be firmly in the background. But I also believe these people are being too sensitive. If Galzidis has any designs to being the spokesperson for the club, he will be welcomed with hostility and coldness like he is already experiencing, he will fade back whence he came in double quick time. Arsenal supporters will not have it.

More importantly, Emery has the personality and stature to lead and be seen as a leader. When he said, his English is poor but he will speak English because he feels it is important he communicate directly with supporters he immediately won the supporters over. From that moment, he became the man. To most supporters, forget the title he has, he is their Manager. If he gets the results and wins silverware, which I am 100% confident he will, the Board will have no choice to make him the manager officially.

Arsenal supporters will look forward to the match day program, they know what to expect. If Emery is not communicating like the leader who represents the club, there will be trouble. What has become very clear is, Emery's job title has not changed what the supporters expect from a Manager. They can call him Head Coach, to the vast majority of supporters, going by my sample, he is the Manager and they expect him to be the Manager.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Uh oh someone's not gonna like this.

How long before Waffib's knives are drawn and directed towards Auba? :)

Tick tock.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

theYemster wrote:Uh oh someone's not gonna like this.

How long before Waffib's knives are drawn and directed towards Auba? :)

Tick tock.

Honestly you’re a professional troll :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

MLK.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Who is buying the NEW jersey?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Nkume wrote:Who is buying the NEW jersey?
Not me. :oops: :oops: :curse: :curse:

I got 4 boys, I normally buy them tops, this is one I am not buying.