The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2019

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I remember someone going on social media and posting some rubbish here saying, "We have our Arsenal back".

In a long season when you ejaculate prematurely you always end up looking mega stupid. Suddenly, we are now being told the Coach is average by this same character. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Call them out by name nah abi you dey fear or is this another fable?
I will. If he continues to post rubbish. That's a cert.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I love this post in one of my Arsenal WhatsApp groups. He is right with the Villa analogy.
You remember my prophetic words in December..... it’s started white van man are no longer blinkered... without Wenger there to direct their fury they are now turning to Kroenke... it’s started. I will passionately protest against the yanks whenever I can. You remember when Villa was holding their own in the prem. Then years of under investment from Doug Ellis saw them decline to where they are now. A club with big history now languishing in the lower leagues. Make no mistake that is where Arsenal are heading under yank ownership.
As you imagine, there are no white van men in this group. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are folks who work in the City. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I remember someone going on social media and posting some rubbish here saying, "We have our Arsenal back".

In a long season when you ejaculate prematurely you always end up looking mega stupid. Suddenly, we are now being told the Coach is average by this same character. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will. If he continues to post rubbish. That's a very.

Nah I’m not trying to be obtuse but I no trust you :taunt: :taunt: looks like a red herring floated by you.

Oya man up and tells us who you dey support between ya coach and the most overrated and worthless player in EPL history... Oya pick ya guy :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:I love this post in one of my Arsenal WhatsApp groups. He is right with the Villa analogy.
You remember my prophetic words in December..... it’s started white van man are no longer blinkered... without Wenger there to direct their fury they are now turning to Kroenke... it’s started. I will passionately protest against the yanks whenever I can. You remember when Villa was holding their own in the prem. Then years of under investment from Doug Ellis saw them decline to where they are now. A club with big history now languishing in the lower leagues. Make no mistake that is where Arsenal are heading under yank ownership.
As you imagine, there are no white van men in this group. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How much money did Arsenal spend in last years transfer windows?

Yeah keep blaming Kroenke instead of the worthless management.

Nonsense ... if I’m Stan, the message is clear, if you don’t clear the deadwoods you won’t get another cent .... EARN YOUR DAMN MONEY :roll:

Let someone justify to the owner why he is paying a thumb sucking parasite 400k per week
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:I love this post in one of my Arsenal WhatsApp groups. He is right with the Villa analogy.

Nonsense ... if I’m Stan, the message is clear, if you don’t clear the deadwoods you won’t get another cent .... EARN YOUR DAMN MONEY :roll:

Let someone justify to the owner why he is paying a thumb sucking parasite 400k per week
So this is about one transfer window to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Read what he said about Doug Ellis at Villa, 'years of under investment'. He is right.

BTW! Kroenke has taken money out of the club, this is what is really annoying the fans. It will only get worse.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Nah I’m not trying to be obtuse but I no trust you :taunt: :taunt: looks like a red herring floated by you.

Oya man up and tells us who you dey support between ya coach and the most overrated and worthless player in EPL history... Oya pick ya guy :taunt:
I am old fashioned about these things. I always support the boss. I don't even need to tell you that.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

I am old fashioned about these things. I always support the boss. I don't even need to tell you that.

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Just wanted to get you on for the “record “...

Ok :D

But knowing you, won’t be surprised if you try and shift the record later a la StatsDNA :taunt:

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Read what he said about Doug Ellis at Villa, 'years of under investment'. He is right.

BTW! Kroenke has taken money out of the club, this is what is really annoying the fans. It will only get worse.

Bullshyt. He has been providing money over the last five years. It’s on the record . Arsenal had enough money to offer £40 million and a pound but not ten more to seal the deal no?

Abeg stop with the false narrative. He isn’t the ideal owner but he has had poor custodians of his money ... FACT

MLK.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Bullshyt. He has been providing money over the last five years. It’s on the record . Arsenal had enough money to offer £40 million and a pound but not ten more to seal the deal no?

Abeg stop with the false narrative. He isn’t the ideal owner but he has had poor custodians of his money ... FACT
That is your opinion, not a fact.

Arsenal have always spent the money Arsenal has generated. We don't need any owner spending their money.

I don't want Kroenke's putting his personal money in the club. He has not put a dime in, but he has taken out. Once again, go read the accounts. I am not calling for Kroenke to put his money in. We generate enough money to compete for better quality players all over the squad.

The accounts show we have a cash balance of £180m. Buying is about buying the right player's at the right time. Not waiting until the price drops to buy the players like Laca, Auba etc. If we bought Kante when we needed him, if we bought a striker the season Leicester won the league etc. etc.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:

GBAM!!!!!!

And if not for providence there could have easily been eight to ten more goals from this useless player :curse:

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Arsenal have always spent the money Arsenal has generated. We don't need any owner spending their money.

I don't want Kroenke's putting his personal money in the club. He has not put a dime in, but he has taken out. Once again, go read the accounts. I am not calling for Kroenke to put his money in. We generate enough money to compete for better quality players all over the squad.

The accounts show we have a cash balance of £180m. Buying is about buying the right player's at the right time. Not waiting until the price drops to buy the players like Laca, Auba etc. If we bought Kante when we needed him, if we bought a striker the season Leicester won the league etc. etc.

Again you’re floating red herrings ..: there has been money to spend for the past five years and the custodians have mismanaged the money..: FACT

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Again you’re floating red herrings ..: there has been money to spend for the past five years and the custodians have mismanaged the money..: FACT
I see you have accepted you were wrong with your BS about Kroenke putting in money. Yet you call it a red herring. :taunt:

Talking about red herrings, what has Liverpool not abiding to a contract got to do with this debate if it is not a red herring? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny thing is you seem to be supporting my point about spending and the fact that our spending is representative of our level. :taunt: :taunt:

I don't do red herrings, I do facts. Here are more facts. :taunt:

Mismanaged is your opinion, not a fact. To me, it was an excellent job done with the money available because we won 3 FA Cups, 2 other trophies. Got to finals and semi finals in other competition plus finishing top 4 in 3 of those 5 years.

Now I challenge you to name another club that has enjoyed that much success with equivalent resources. The fact is there is none.

The above FACTS, gives credence and considerable force to my opinion that the funds spent have been brilliantly managed.

You just claim mismanagement, it is your opinion, this is fair enough, but I am yet to see one ounce of evidence to back up your claim.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... ene-Wenger

Arsenal's West Ham Premier League loss shows Unai Emery is the new Arsene Wenger.

Aniks, this was posted in one of my WhatsApp forums. I agree with every word. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Glad Emery finally yanked him. Gouendozi / Torreira are the better paring in midfield.
anikulapo wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
GBAM!!!!!!
And if not for providence there could have easily been eight to ten more goals from this useless player :curse:
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Thank you,let those defending the old regime for paying 30 million to this guy keep defending him as a good player.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

What a thread,i see some folks that will never get over their love for the old regime,its 2019 get with the program, Wenger is no more and was sacked for good reason, poor results.I am glad we have a change,we cant be worst than where he left us...10 million a year was alot of money to pay him and he keep repeat same mess.
Now on to the Chelsea game hopefully we can get a win and restart the season.
I see some fans here praying for Emery to failed and say i told you so,
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Can Gooners stop lying about the quality of Arsenal football from an aesthetics POV. Arsenal football has been sluggish, sloppy, lacking identity since the day we lost Santi to a torn Achilles.

This is nearly 3 seasons of a dog breakfast football from Arsenal.
Detective Bunk Moreland

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Can Gooners stop lying about the quality of Arsenal football from an aesthetics POV. Arsenal football has been sluggish, sloppy, lacking identity since the day we lost Santi to a torn Achilles.

This is your opinion. It is not a fact. Actually, it is BS.

I know it is hard for many here to accept certain realities of where we are in the pecking order right now. But it will only get worse if we do not arrest the lack of investment in the playing squad and no coach can do a thing about it.

Arsenal have spent money, I am told, as if I have said we have not spent money. The money we have spent is reflected in our league position for the past 2 seasons and it will be the same or worse this season. But the fact is we are back to last season right now.

Here are facts.

We have 2 clean sheets in our last 16 PL games.

We are no better in terms of points compared to last season, plus we have conceded more goals and scored less, despite our investment in the summer.

We have not won away from home in the league since November.

Last season’s player of the year is leaving for free.

Our highest earner cannot even make the bench.

We cannot afford to sign a single player permanently.

My opinion is, it will get worse, when the Emirates crowd get on the back of the Coach and team like I fear will happen next home game against Chelsea if we do not perform and win.

My opinion is we are actually a joke. This is our cold reality right now. Please stop this BS about quality football from an aesthetic POV, it is a matter of opinion. I know a Burnley supporter, he tells me all the time of their quality football. Who am I to argue with him? Arsenal fans complaining about a negative or pragmatic approach have a point, especially when you lack creativity and keep conceding goals, after all we are supposed to be a big club. We are not Burnley.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:Can Gooners stop lying about the quality of Arsenal football from an aesthetics POV. Arsenal football has been sluggish, sloppy, lacking identity since the day we lost Santi to a torn Achilles.

This is your opinion. It is not a fact. Actually, it is BS.

I know it is hard for many here to accept certain realities of where we are in the pecking order right now. But it will only get worse if we do not arrest the lack of investment in the playing squad and no coach can do a thing about it.

Arsenal have spent money, I am told, as if I have said we have not spent money. The money we have spent is reflected in our league position for the past 2 seasons and it will be the same or worse this season. But the fact is we are back to last season right now.

Here are facts.

We have 2 clean sheets in our last 16 PL games.

We are no better in terms of points compared to last season, plus we have conceded more goals and scored less, despite our investment in the summer.

We have not won away from home in the league since November.

Last season’s player of the year is leaving for free.

Our highest earner cannot even make the bench.

We cannot afford to sign a single player permanently.

My opinion is, it will get worse, when the Emirates crowd get on the back of the Coach and team like I fear will happen next home game against Chelsea if we do not perform and win.

My opinion is we are actually a joke. This is our cold reality right now. Please stop this BS about quality football from an aesthetic POV, it is a matter of opinion. I know a Burnley supporter, he tells me all the time of their quality football. Who am I to argue with him? Arsenal fans complaining about a negative or pragmatic approach have a point, especially when you lack creativity and keep conceding goals, after all we are supposed to be a big club. We are not Burnley.
This coming from the same guy who took nearly a year to admit Arsenal missed Santi despite stats and results backing that up..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have tried to explain for years post Santi Arsenal midfield lacks mobility, quick thinking and particularly ability to handle pressing teams.

Arsenal record away from the Emirates speaks to that, where as in the Emirates Arsenal are able to more often than not impose their will, away from home when as per usual the opposition is the aggressor Arsenal midfield is easily exposed, becomes unglued and reverts to the hot mess they are.

BTW before we blame Stan entirely who was the genius in summer of 2015 who thought it was wise to not buy a single outfield player....
Detective Bunk Moreland

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Oh my dear Waffi

Back in Nov 2016....

Myself....
Tunisian Gooner wrote:Biggest test yet again AW and Arsenal is how does AW solve the Santi conundrum? Word is Santi will be MIA for quite some time with a bad Achilles.

Sans Santi it's been Boro, @ Sunderland, Spurs and @ Man Utd, 4 PL games and 3 abject displays by the Arsenal midfield. in the 4-2-3-1 set up without Santi the opposition are pressing the 2 CM's in front of Arsenal back four and Arsenal have struggled mightily, toss in absence of Bellerin and Arsenal ability to move the ball quickly and effectively is significantly hindered.

So what's the solution?

Does AW revert to 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1?

Does he opt to play Ozil deeper, use Iwobi as the number 10?

Does AW drop Coq and start Xhaka with Ramsey?

Does AW go with the latest back 3 trend?

Arsenal PL title aspirations are dependent on AW solving that puzzle, last season AW failed in solving the Santi absence rubix cube, this team AW has solutions but can AW identify it? Frankly just like last season I have my doubts.
and Waffi....
The way you are spinning a yarn that ignores every other aspect in the build up to those games and the quality of the opposition to sit your Santi narrative is ridiculous. For starters, Arsenal are not a one man team. The performances against a Boro, Spuds and ManU are not down to one player only. Arsenal failure to win any of those games is not down to Santi alone not playing.

Against Boro, we performed like a team playing their 3rd game in a week, expect the same sort of performance against Bournemouth on Saturday. Why? We have another tough gammon Wednesday against PSG and this 3rd game has caused every EPL club in the CL this season problems. Arsenal are the only club that has dropped only 2 points playing this tough schedule go games. Every team in the CL has dropped more points after CL games than us.

The performance against Boro, was not about Santi alone, it was more about players that were not fresh and playing on empty. Liverpool and Chelski have a huge advantage and it is the fixtures after CL games that has helped them to the top of the league. The only redeeming factor for us on Saturday is, maybe Bournemouth might come to Arsenal and try to playing open attacking football. If they do, it might suit us. Whatever it is, expect a tough hard struggle and I pray our quality gets us the 3 points.

With Santi, getting 6 points from the Spuds and ManU games was a tall ask, but we took the lead against Spuds and Xhaka showed he was more than capable of giving us creativity as well as steel against Spuds. For me, that was encouraging and I look forward to seeing more from Xhaka. As for the ManU game, Wenger went to play for a draw and he got it.

I have aways maintained here that the loss of one player has never been the reason why we drop points, it is always a combination of key players being out of the team. Losing Bells and Santi is not ideal but we just need to avoid defeat to PSG and we are more than capable of getting the wins needed starting with the Bournemouth game.

Arsenal beat Sunderland comprehensively so I do not even know why you have included them.

This is all about combinations in the 2, the best 2 we have are Santi and Coquelin, because they compliment each other invert aspect of midfield play to get the best of the players around them thus giving the team a maximum performance. The problem is, till the Spuds game, Xhaka and Coquelin did not work, mainly because they do not rotate. They always play on same line because a partnership is still developing between the two of them. But Coq and Santi know how to take turns to make forward runs and covering for each other. In time, I see a combination developing between Xhaka and Coquelin. Elneny and the Coquelin is effectively a defensive move.

As for the best system given our injuries. For me, the 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 are better options than the 4-2-3-1. But playing a 4-3-3 does not suit Ozil. The 4-3-3 is a natural fit for our players if we want to press high but it comes down to playing Ozil wide of the top 3. I play it this way:

Ramsey Coquelin Xhaka
Walcott Alexis Ozil

Santi to replace Xhaka if fit.

Of course the 4-1-4-1 accommodates Ramsey. Coquelin and Xhaka and it is a better fit for Ozil. This system compromises the majority of our players.

Yet Waffi in 2017....
In his pre-season breakdown special on Arsenal.com, Adrian Clarke (Fully badged UEFA coach and ex Arsenal player)noted how losing possession cheaply in deep areas was a chief concern.

Against Liverpool, City, ManU and Southampton this season, we have conceded 11 goals more than half of them as a result of giving the ball away in our own half and they have costs us points. We also gave up 3 goals against Huddersfield and Leicester for the same mistakes but got away with it.

Don't say to me this has not been looked at, worked on and discussed amongst the Coaching Staff. The intangibles, like mental strength and lack of leadership etc are quickly banded out, but I think the truth is, the technical level is just lower than it needs to be. The loss of Arteta and Cazorla (especially) is felt, cos we do not have any with their ability to deal with the press and pass under pressure.

We get a very easy ride on our passing, because it is just assumed that Wenger sides pass the ball well at the expense of all else. But teams have sussed this out knowing that we lack a technical leader in that midfield and in defence. Monreal is effectively the best passer under pressure cos he is least likely to make a mistake under pressure.

For me, the issues are far more technical than these intangibles lazily bandied about. Honestly, I believe it is often just lazy thinking to assign our issues to unproven mental tropes. The patterns in our flaws are entirely technical and maybe a little physical too.

Go analyse all these goals and see what options were available when the ball was given away. Midfield movement is not what it was when Cazorla was running things. Santi will ask for the ball even if he had 2 men on him. He picked out the Widebacks with ease and with opposition stretched, we quickly reversed it back inside to exploit the spaces the width in our play has created. Now it is often hard to pick out the Widebacks and teams defend easier.

Go see how many times that ball to the Wideback is intercepted this season cos the build up is slow and predictable. Astute Analysts and Managers of other teams spot potential weaknesses and come up with ways to exploit them. The early high press by opponents in our defensive third is a feature causing errors and goals this season.

What is annoying is we have self destruct too often over situations we are in control of. Too many long passes across, when a short pass is needed. A gambled pass chosen over a safe out ball to the opponents half. The good thing is, it can be sorted out like we sorted out our set piece defending and became 1st and 2nd in goals conceded from set piece in the last 2 seasons. There will also be changes to the team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Detective Bunk Moreland

realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

anikulapo wrote:

KPOM!
TRANSFERS 17/18

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Centre-Forward £57.38m
Alexandre Lacazette Centre-Forward £47.70m
Henrikh Mkhitaryan Attacking Midfield £30.60m
Konstantinos Mavropanos Centre-Back £1.89m
Sead Kolasinac Left-Back Free Transfer
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-arse ... on_id/2017
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Are you sure you read what I wrote properly? Saying Arsenal are a team with so many factors affecting performances and results inclunding the loss of any important and our best player then, is not dismissing the said player is not missed.

You are trying to use my words to suit your narrative, it is not necessary. The point remains, Arsenal have played quick, incisive, attacking football since then, they have done is also this season, remember the Spuds and Fulham away games. The issue is we have not done this consistently enough during any season. The main reason and common factor remains, when we lose key players, we struggle and drop points. This is not down to one player.

When Arsenal had a settled team with players who could pass in its defence, Arsenal had alternatives in linking defence midfield and attack. I have mentioned this here many a time. Arsenal lose Monreal, Holding and Mustafi, plus the outlet that is Bellerin and we struggled with our build up play. We have been struggling ever since.

The one player who benefited from us having alternatives was Xhaka. He is the one player who has the ability to pick passes from deep despite being man marked most of the time. You notice how the subbing of Xhaka killed us off as a threath from deep yesterday. Xhaka is the one player who can link midfield with defence and attack, the stats are there to back this up.

What is worse, Arsenal yesterday often played out from deep, but lacked the player to open it up in the final 3rd. That is where Ozil comes into his own. But Emery has opted for runners, only Iwobi is creative in that midfield and attack lines. Wenger used to do the same, when he lacked creative options, the results were the same as now. You cannot have too many runners in a team, someone need to be able to find runs with defence splitting passes for example.

The coach has taken a defensive, pragmatic approach but it is not working. Arsenal supporters complaining about this have every right to, and it has nothing to do with Santi, who is long gone.

Tunisian Gooner wrote:Oh my dear Waffi

Back in Nov 2016....

Myself....
Tunisian Gooner wrote:Biggest test yet again AW and Arsenal is how does AW solve the Santi conundrum? Word is Santi will be MIA for quite some time with a bad Achilles.

Sans Santi it's been Boro, @ Sunderland, Spurs and @ Man Utd, 4 PL games and 3 abject displays by the Arsenal midfield. in the 4-2-3-1 set up without Santi the opposition are pressing the 2 CM's in front of Arsenal back four and Arsenal have struggled mightily, toss in absence of Bellerin and Arsenal ability to move the ball quickly and effectively is significantly hindered.

So what's the solution?

Does AW revert to 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1?

Does he opt to play Ozil deeper, use Iwobi as the number 10?

Does AW drop Coq and start Xhaka with Ramsey?

Does AW go with the latest back 3 trend?

Arsenal PL title aspirations are dependent on AW solving that puzzle, last season AW failed in solving the Santi absence rubix cube, this team AW has solutions but can AW identify it? Frankly just like last season I have my doubts.
and Waffi....
The way you are spinning a yarn that ignores every other aspect in the build up to those games and the quality of the opposition to sit your Santi narrative is ridiculous. For starters, Arsenal are not a one man team. The performances against a Boro, Spuds and ManU are not down to one player only. Arsenal failure to win any of those games is not down to Santi alone not playing.

Against Boro, we performed like a team playing their 3rd game in a week, expect the same sort of performance against Bournemouth on Saturday. Why? We have another tough gammon Wednesday against PSG and this 3rd game has caused every EPL club in the CL this season problems. Arsenal are the only club that has dropped only 2 points playing this tough schedule go games. Every team in the CL has dropped more points after CL games than us.

The performance against Boro, was not about Santi alone, it was more about players that were not fresh and playing on empty. Liverpool and Chelski have a huge advantage and it is the fixtures after CL games that has helped them to the top of the league. The only redeeming factor for us on Saturday is, maybe Bournemouth might come to Arsenal and try to playing open attacking football. If they do, it might suit us. Whatever it is, expect a tough hard struggle and I pray our quality gets us the 3 points.

With Santi, getting 6 points from the Spuds and ManU games was a tall ask, but we took the lead against Spuds and Xhaka showed he was more than capable of giving us creativity as well as steel against Spuds. For me, that was encouraging and I look forward to seeing more from Xhaka. As for the ManU game, Wenger went to play for a draw and he got it.

I have aways maintained here that the loss of one player has never been the reason why we drop points, it is always a combination of key players being out of the team. Losing Bells and Santi is not ideal but we just need to avoid defeat to PSG and we are more than capable of getting the wins needed starting with the Bournemouth game.

Arsenal beat Sunderland comprehensively so I do not even know why you have included them.

This is all about combinations in the 2, the best 2 we have are Santi and Coquelin, because they compliment each other invert aspect of midfield play to get the best of the players around them thus giving the team a maximum performance. The problem is, till the Spuds game, Xhaka and Coquelin did not work, mainly because they do not rotate. They always play on same line because a partnership is still developing between the two of them. But Coq and Santi know how to take turns to make forward runs and covering for each other. In time, I see a combination developing between Xhaka and Coquelin. Elneny and the Coquelin is effectively a defensive move.

As for the best system given our injuries. For me, the 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 are better options than the 4-2-3-1. But playing a 4-3-3 does not suit Ozil. The 4-3-3 is a natural fit for our players if we want to press high but it comes down to playing Ozil wide of the top 3. I play it this way:

Ramsey Coquelin Xhaka
Walcott Alexis Ozil

Santi to replace Xhaka if fit.

Of course the 4-1-4-1 accommodates Ramsey. Coquelin and Xhaka and it is a better fit for Ozil. This system compromises the majority of our players.

Yet Waffi in 2017....
In his pre-season breakdown special on Arsenal.com, Adrian Clarke (Fully badged UEFA coach and ex Arsenal player)noted how losing possession cheaply in deep areas was a chief concern.

Against Liverpool, City, ManU and Southampton this season, we have conceded 11 goals more than half of them as a result of giving the ball away in our own half and they have costs us points. We also gave up 3 goals against Huddersfield and Leicester for the same mistakes but got away with it.

Don't say to me this has not been looked at, worked on and discussed amongst the Coaching Staff. The intangibles, like mental strength and lack of leadership etc are quickly banded out, but I think the truth is, the technical level is just lower than it needs to be. The loss of Arteta and Cazorla (especially) is felt, cos we do not have any with their ability to deal with the press and pass under pressure.

We get a very easy ride on our passing, because it is just assumed that Wenger sides pass the ball well at the expense of all else. But teams have sussed this out knowing that we lack a technical leader in that midfield and in defence. Monreal is effectively the best passer under pressure cos he is least likely to make a mistake under pressure.

For me, the issues are far more technical than these intangibles lazily bandied about. Honestly, I believe it is often just lazy thinking to assign our issues to unproven mental tropes. The patterns in our flaws are entirely technical and maybe a little physical too.

Go analyse all these goals and see what options were available when the ball was given away. Midfield movement is not what it was when Cazorla was running things. Santi will ask for the ball even if he had 2 men on him. He picked out the Widebacks with ease and with opposition stretched, we quickly reversed it back inside to exploit the spaces the width in our play has created. Now it is often hard to pick out the Widebacks and teams defend easier.

Go see how many times that ball to the Wideback is intercepted this season cos the build up is slow and predictable. Astute Analysts and Managers of other teams spot potential weaknesses and come up with ways to exploit them. The early high press by opponents in our defensive third is a feature causing errors and goals this season.

What is annoying is we have self destruct too often over situations we are in control of. Too many long passes across, when a short pass is needed. A gambled pass chosen over a safe out ball to the opponents half. The good thing is, it can be sorted out like we sorted out our set piece defending and became 1st and 2nd in goals conceded from set piece in the last 2 seasons. There will also be changes to the team.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: