Leon Balogun Signs For EPL Side Brighton

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Leon Balogun Signs For EPL Side Brighton

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Enyi wrote:Ok move but should not be signing a 2 year contract at 29.......

Sign for 5 yrs with a relegation clause......

?????????????????????? Which club grants a 29 year old a five year contract??????

CE na wa oooo. Arsene Wenger set the tone when he began granting players over 30 just one year contracts.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

oloye wrote:I hope he can push the two guys currently playing the role. Both looked good together and one of them is our Irish international.
Hope so too...

Most folks at the Brighton's fan forum seem to think he's being signed as a backup (some list him as 4th in the CD depth chart), and that being a free transfer minimized the risks considerations. Hope he proves them wrong.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Congrats Leon Balogun.

Wishing you tons of success. May you remain healthy.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

oloye wrote:I hope he can push the two guys currently playing the role. Both looked good together and one of them is our Irish international.
yup Duffy is a top notch defender.
Actually Brighton's defence is their strongest suit
so its understandable that they are only looking to add depth as opposed to a transformative player in that area
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Enyi wrote:Ok move but should not be signing a 2 year contract at 29.......

Sign for 5 yrs with a relegation clause......

?????????????????????? Which club grants a 29 year old a five year contract??????

CE na wa oooo. Arsene Wenger set the tone when he began granting players over 30 just one year contracts.
i dont understand all the negativity and apprehension here. Only a two yr contract, going to be a benchwarmer blah blah
For a start, its not like any of our players besides Ndidi and Moses is a guaranteed starter at Premier league level.
Even our golden boy Nacho is a certified benchwarmer for his club.
Hardly affect us (the SE) adversely as long as they are getting game time

What matters is Hughton -his coach - clearly rates him.
otherwise he would not have signed him!
Once you're in you're in. as part of the 1st team squad he will have opportunities to play
FIrst signing as well not some desperate last minute move
which shows they've done their homework on the player and are confident about his quality

also being a free agent is hardly a key factor when you consider the funds available to EPL clubs
trust me there are tons and tons of younger, good quality "back up" defenders available that Hughton could have signed for £1-2milion
including our very own Troost Ekong who moved to turkey this year for less than £1million.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

smartbrother wrote:yup Duffy is a top notch defender.
so its understandable that they are only looking to add depth as opposed to a transformative player in that area
smartbrother wrote:i dont understand all the negativity and apprehension here. Only a two yr contract, going to be a benchwarmer blah blah
For a start, its not like any of our players besides Ndidi and Moses is a guaranteed starter at Premier league level.

Once you're in you're in. as part of the 1st team squad he will have opportunities to play
which shows they've done their homework on the player and are confident about his quality

also being a free agent is hardly a key factor when you consider the funds available to EPL clubs
trust me there are tons and tons of younger, good quality "back up" defenders available that Hughton could have signed for £1-2milion
including our very own Troost Ekong who moved to turkey this year for less than £1million.
Which "negativity here" abegi? :blink:

Merely reported the discussions of Brighton fans on their own forum regarding the signing...
Would therefore suggest that if you have an issue with said "negativity" go confront them there. SMH

Meanwhile, in one post you actually explicitly agree that he's only there to "add depth" and in the very next you start blathering on about the so-called "negativity" that he is there only to add depth. Are you bipolar or simply high?! SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Gotti wrote:[Meanwhile, in one post you actually explicitly agree that he's only there to "add depth" and in the very next you start blathering on about the so-called "negativity" that he is there only to add depth. Are you bipolar or simply high?! SMDH
i see
thanks
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:
smartbrother wrote:i dont understand all the negativity and apprehension here. Only a two yr contract, going to be a benchwarmer blah blah

Merely reported the discussions of Brighton fans on their own forum regarding the signing...
Would therefore suggest that if you have an issue with said "negativity" go confront them there. SMH

Meanwhile, in one post you actually explicitly agree that he's only there to "add depth" and in the very next you start blathering on about the so-called "negativity" that he is there only to add depth. Are you bipolar or simply high?! SMDH
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Gotti wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The idea of a benchwarmer defender in an EPL team (whose main target is to avoid relegation) is a myth!
If you are not in the regular top 6, there is no hiding place. The teams lose more than they win, which means the manager has to keep trying different defensive formations throughout the season, not to talk of the League Cup and the FA Cup. When you now add the lenghty injury list that plague most EPL teams, there is just no hiding place for a defender in the EPL. I expect Balogun to play CB and RB at different stages in the tough season to come.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gotti wrote:
Hope so too...

Most folks at the Brighton's fan forum seem to think he's being signed as a backup (some list him as 4th in the CD depth chart), and that being a free transfer minimized the risks considerations. Hope he proves them wrong.
My sentiments too, just did not want to spoil our celebration party ,so I let it out in a subtle way. But hey football is a heck of a game, he might come in and tear the script to shreds and force the manager to write a new one....my prayers!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Leon Balogun Signs For EPL Side Brighto

Post by Gotti »

Goldleaf wrote:The idea of a benchwarmer defender in an EPL team (whose main target is to avoid relegation) is a myth!
If you are not in the regular top 6, there is no hiding place. The teams lose more than they win, which means the manager has to keep trying different defensive formations throughout the season, not to talk of the League Cup and the FA Cup. When you now add the lenghty injury list that plague most EPL teams, there is just no hiding place for a defender in the EPL. I expect Balogun to play CB and RB at different stages in the tough season to come.
Dude, we all hope Leon gets a lot of playing time...
But Dunk played all 38 EPL games last season (every minute too), while Duffy missed 1 game (played 37).

The CD pairing is one of Brighton’s few bright spots...
And their backups will tell you that “a benchwarmer defender [on] an EPL team” is certainly NO myth.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:The idea of a benchwarmer defender in an EPL team (whose main target is to avoid relegation) is a myth!
Dude, we all hope Leon gets a lot of playing time...
But Dunk played all 38 EPL games last season (every minute too), while Duffy missed 1 game (played 37).

The CD pairing is one of Brighton’s few bright spots...
And their backups will tell you that “a benchwarmer defender [on] an EPL team” is certainly NO myth.
Let's look at the Data. What was the status of the men backing Duffy & Dunk up last season

Hünemeier (the dude Balogun is likely replacing) played 11 games and 947 minutes last season.

Goldson played 11 games and 949 minutes.

Dunk & Duffy played 38 & 39 games. All but one in the EPL.

It appears Hughton wants to go with partnerships in the CD position. One mainly for the EPL and another in Cup games. It all depends on how deep Brighton goes in the Cups, but Balogun & Goldson could get 15 - 20 games next season.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:Let's look at the Data. What was the status of the men backing Duffy & Dunk up last season

Hünemeier (the dude Balogun is likely replacing) played 11 games and 947 minutes last season.

It appears Hughton wants to go with partnerships in the CD position. One mainly for the EPL and another in Cup games. It all depends on how deep Brighton goes in the Cups, but Balogun & Goldson could get 15 - 20 games next season.
I'm among the first to cheer Leon's move and hope that he will pleasantly surprise the Brighton faithful, but not sure why you think that someone (such as the said Uwe Hünemeier) who played in barely 11 games out of a possible 50+ games last season cannot legitimately classified as a "benchwarmer" on an EPL team. Practically, every EPL team trots out the reserves and youth/U23 team players for cup games (at least until it gets to the business end of those competitions), but hopefully folks are not wishing such fate upon our own Balogun. After all, such cup games were about the only action Ahmed Musa saw at Leicester City last season - and we were all UNIVERSALLY disappointed.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

oloye wrote:
Gotti wrote:
Hope so too...

My sentiments too, just did not want to spoil our celebration party ,so I let it out in a subtle way. But hey football is a heck of a game, he might come in and tear the script to shreds and force the manager to write a new one....my prayers!
Pragmatically, there really isn’t much to be excited about the defense of a team that finished just 3 spots above relegation. There’s a pretty good chance that Leon isn’t just going there to make up the numbers :!:

Cheers.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:Let's look at the Data. What was the status of the men backing Duffy & Dunk up last season

I'm among the first to cheer Leon's move and hope that he will pleasantly surprise the Brighton faithful, but not sure why you think that someone (such as the said Uwe Hünemeier) who played in barely 11 games out of a possible 50+ games last season cannot legitimately classified as a "benchwarmer" on an EPL team. Practically, every EPL team trots out the reserves and youth/U23 team players for cup games (at least until it gets to the business end of those competitions), but hopefully folks are not wishing such fate upon our own Balogun. After all, such cup games were about the only action Ahmed Musa saw at Leicester City last season - and we were all UNIVERSALLY disappointed.
But I am agreeing with you now! Or is there a rule (not norm) on CE that says that you should only quote people when you disagree with them and want to attack their points/posts?

All I said was that if Brighton make a deep run in some cup tournament(s) and based on last season, it is realistic to expect for Balogun to get over 15 games in the coming season.