I know it's pointless whining now...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tobi17
Egg
Egg
I know it's pointless whining now...

Post by Tobi17 »

But let's tell ourselves the truth guys... going by today's display, maybe Ayo's annoyingly relentless pointers about going to the world cup with a capable playmaker in the mold of Kelechi Nwakali wasn't the buzz of a bee afterall. Looking at our current WC squad, who there besides Mikel and to some considerable extent Iwobi has that intelligent and keen eyes for creative football? I now see why everyone was harping on this Kelechi kid to at least be on the squad over the likes of Mikel Agu and Agbo... The Kelechi I saw today is WORLD CUP READY, he played with the vision, maturity, and confidence only befitting of a boy ready to prove a point...maybe it's too late to somehow sneak in that boy, but damn! even Rohr would at some point will wondering why he didn't give him a closer look earlier, perhaps his time will come after the world cup cause we've already unearthed the permanent replacement to Mikel Obi- and that is Kelechi.
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: I know it's pointless whining now...

Post by john12 »

Story story story. I have seen top notch performances from players like Haruna, ameobi etc prior to World Cup then flops at the main event. These guys are young and after World Cup should be given a chance but right now, we can afford to wait
Last edited by john12 on Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Kelechi Nwakali looks like a TALENT sha
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone with is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before. – Albert Einstein
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Rohr only looked at the wrong Nwakali... Kelechi Nwakali is a top talent.. If he had gotten plenty playing time at VV Venlo, he might have just made the squad..
afc##
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

It's just an end of season friendly game against a club side. You have a group of players that have never played together before tossed into a team for this exhibition match and suddenly a player is better than people who've proven themselves in international competitive games? It may be a completely different story in a real match as we've seen over and over again with many of these players you guys hype here.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

I don't understand the mentality of people at times. Kelechi is a great prospect, and it is very positive that he is being integrated into senior national team football; this sort of occasion is something the NFF should be looking to put together on a semi-regular basis. However, it is insanity to suggest that we should actually be taking him to the World Cup at this time. He has ~10 appearances in top flight football in his entire career, and we want him at the premier footballing competition in the world?

The match today was a positive exercise, but at the end of the day this was a friendly against a side at the end of their season, with all the World cup participants gone, and the players either reserves getting a run out or seniors looking forward to their holiday. In the previous week they had played two matches (one of which was a major European final) and were playing in Nigeria about 48 hours after playing a competitive game in Spain. It's not comparable to a serious match in anyway.

What is the point of rushing him? Let him spend the summer getting stronger/faster and working on his craft so he can have a successful term, hopefully with a full season's worth of appearances in a top flight league. We have two nations cups and a WC (with related qualifiers) in the next four years. The chances for him are there.

For now, we have a settled squad that the manager has worked with and moulded. I am confident in their ability.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Orion wrote:It's just an end of season friendly game against a club side. You have a group of players that have never played together before tossed into a team for this exhibition match and suddenly a player is better than people who've proven themselves in international competitive games? It may be a completely different story in a real match as we've seen over and over again with many of these players you guys hype here.

Mikel Agu and Uche Agbo HAVE NOT PROVEN THEMSELVES AT ANY TIME IN SUPER EAGLES JERSEY.

2 complete wastes of space.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I would have picked him but the coach knows best.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

vancity eagle wrote:
Orion wrote:It's just an end of season friendly game against a club side. You have a group of players that have never played together before tossed into a team for this exhibition match and suddenly a player is better than people who've proven themselves in international competitive games? It may be a completely different story in a real match as we've seen over and over again with many of these players you guys hype here.

Mikel Agu and Uche Agbo HAVE NOT PROVEN THEMSELVES AT ANY TIME IN SUPER EAGLES JERSEY.

2 complete wastes of space.
Well, that is your subjective belief from your armchair position. The people with the real experience on the ground see it differently.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

olumide wrote:I don't understand the mentality of people at times. Kelechi is a great prospect, and it is very positive that he is being integrated into senior national team football; this sort of occasion is something the NFF should be looking to put together on a semi-regular basis. However, it is insanity to suggest that we should actually be taking him to the World Cup at this time. He has ~10 appearances in top flight football in his entire career, and we want him at the premier footballing competition in the world?

The match today was a positive exercise, but at the end of the day this was a friendly against a side at the end of their season, with all the World cup participants gone, and the players either reserves getting a run out or seniors looking forward to their holiday. In the previous week they had played two matches (one of which was a major European final) and were playing in Nigeria about 48 hours after playing a competitive game in Spain. It's not comparable to a serious match in anyway.

What is the point of rushing him? Let him spend the summer getting stronger/faster and working on his craft so he can have a successful term, hopefully with a full season's worth of appearances in a top flight league. We might have two nations cups and hopefully a WC (with related qualifiers) in the next four years. The chances for him are there.

For now, we have a settled squad that the manager has worked with and moulded. I am confident in their ability.
Fixed
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

He didnt play AM though, we can't ignore that point. That said he's the future.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

olumide wrote:I don't understand the mentality of people at times. Kelechi is a great prospect, and it is very positive that he is being integrated into senior national team football; this sort of occasion is something the NFF should be looking to put together on a semi-regular basis. However, it is insanity to suggest that we should actually be taking him to the World Cup at this time. He has ~10 appearances in top flight football in his entire career, and we want him at the premier footballing competition in the world?

What is the point of rushing him? Let him spend the summer getting stronger/faster and working on his craft so he can have a successful term, hopefully with a full season's worth of appearances in a top flight league. We have two nations cups and a WC (with related qualifiers) in the next four years. The chances for him are there.

We do not have a fixed squad. We are still a work in progress!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Pointless whining thread!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

A refreshing surprise performance by the lads. Kudos! Defensive lapses and goalie issues aside, the guys deserve to be proud of their efforts.

Nwakali was in my opinion the second best player in that under-17 tourney in 2013 – way back then he showed superior and sublime skills all through the tournament. Mr. Rohr's fixation with play time and performance level as assessment factors for WC selection, appears inconsistent when you compare Nwakali with some of the other players selected for WC (Uchebo, Ogu) - especially when you take their respective leagues into consideration. One of the things I have noticed is that some of our folks on this site like to delay the results that we can obtain at the WC level for another 4 years – as though our qualification is an automatic birthright. And then there is always the notion, “he is not ready yet, let him wait his turn”. It really amazes me that we can hoard superior talent as though we have world -class players on our team. We need not fall in love with names but guys who are current ballers that can deliver the goods at the highest levels. Nwakali played against the European champions today and was singled out as an outstanding player on the field, and some people still want to justify Nwakali’s exclusion or undermine the guy’s obvious talent or readiness for the world stage. Come on guys! Wake up and smell the coffee! It is nothing personal or about any agent crap, it’s simply well meaning fans wanting to have their best talent represent the country at the WC. Playing in the qualifiers does not necessarily mean you are rewarded with automatic selection for WC. If that was the case—why did FIFA come up with a 35-man pre-WC squad? And yes Mr. Rohr ought to have used his full 35-man roster to check out talents such as Nwakali. We simply do not have the depth in our squad for any serious thinking patriot to dismiss Nwakali as a non-viable option for our WC outing this summer. Go back and check out the depth of our '94 squad. It had someone like Ikpeba warming the bench. I bet Rohr is biting his thumb in afterthought after watching today’s match. Let’s also hope our first team goalies don’t have the same bad timing and reaction to direct shots as our goalie did today. Keeping it 100!
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

soccernut wrote:A refreshing surprise performance by the lads. Kudos! Defensive lapses and goalie issues aside, the guys deserve to be proud of their efforts.

Nwakali was in my opinion the second best player in that under-17 tourney in 2013 – way back then he showed superior and sublime skills all through the tournament. Mr. Rohr's fixation with play time and performance level as assessment factors for WC selection, appears inconsistent when you compare Nwakali with some of the other players selected for WC (Uchebo, Ogu) - especially when you take their respective leagues into consideration. One of the things I have noticed is that some of our folks on this site like to delay the results that we can obtain at the WC level for another 4 years – as though our qualification is an automatic birthright. And then there is always the notion, “he is not ready yet, let him wait his turn”. It really amazes me that we can hoard superior talent as though we have world -class players on our team. We need not fall in love with names but guys who are current ballers that can deliver the goods at the highest levels. Nwakali played against the European champions today and was singled out as an outstanding player on the field, and some people still want to justify Nwakali’s exclusion or undermine the guy’s obvious talent or readiness for the world stage. Come on guys! Wake up and smell the coffee! It is nothing personal or about any agent crap, it’s simply well meaning fans wanting to have their best talent represent the country at the WC. Playing in the qualifiers does not necessarily mean you are rewarded with automatic selection for WC. If that was the case—why did FIFA come up with a 35-man pre-WC squad? And yes Mr. Rohr ought to have used his full 35-man roster to check out talents such as Nwakali. We simply do not have the depth in our squad for any serious thinking patriot to dismiss Nwakali as a non-viable option for our WC outing this summer. Go back and check out the depth of our '94 squad. It had someone like Ikpeba warming the bench. I bet Rohr is biting his thumb in afterthought after watching today’s match. Let’s also hope our first team goalies don’t have the same bad timing and reaction to direct shots as our goalie did today. Keeping it 100!
There is a reason why ppl like Ayo succeed here.... the above is the case, every year, you do the same thing and hope for a different result each time......

Rohr should have thrown the camp open and in the end take the likes of Uchebo and Ameobi to the World Cup. Take a settled team with unity to the WC and maybe u can do something.....

Nwakali played well, his brother actually played better than him and so did the right back and captain.

Nwakali is not ready to play in any World Cup especially given his performance today, he is a very very good prospect but not ready to dispose the main players in the SE i.e. Mikel, Onazi, J.Obi, Etebo, Ndidi, Ogu.

The above players have shown that the have the strength and mentality to play at the top level week in week out. Nwakali could not make in the Dutch league had to step down and still did not have a stellar season. We at Arsenal have seen him play and he has a lacklustre way to his game and in CM against better players, you will be found out. He fails to take the bull by the horn and thus results in him playing several sideway passes...... he needs to move on from that if he is to become a midfielder general like Mikel is.

Ppl must remember that this mainly atletico madrid's reserve team plus players from Spanish division 3..... they will not many monteros in the World Cup.

Kelechi can be a great player but ready for the World Cup.....not even close.
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

I would have loved to see Usman Mohammed for 90minutes, may be Ramadan restricted him to just 45minutes.. If you also noticed in second 45minutes, Musa Mohammed put in a sub dued performance.. no overlapping runs etc..
afc##
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Rohr has been good but his rigidity will be his undoing.

Uche Agbo
Mikel Agu
and some other players

When he could have tested real prospects. I still think he wasted the friendlies in March.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Pointless whining. :boo: :boo:
How can a player who has been largely anonymous at club level head to the world's premier football competition? The Barth Ogbeche "overhead kick" disease is still very much around. Kelechi can still prove himself at U20 and Olympics level. But we should be more worried that he is not setting the world alight at club level. What is going on there?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Goldleaf wrote:Pointless whining. :boo: :boo:
How can a player who has been largely anonymous at club level head to the world's premier football competition? The Barth Ogbeche "overhead kick" disease is still very much around. Kelechi can still prove himself at U20 and Olympics level. But we should be more worried that he is not setting the world alight at club level. What is going on there?
Yeah, I guess the likes of Mikel Agu, Uche Agbo not excluding a host of other world cup bound players are sure setting the world alight at their respective clubs abi? even our most elite players like Mikel, Iwobi, Nacho etc aren't particularly doing any better in their club situations compared to Kelechi so why hoard the obvious truth? We've gone down that line of recycled daft arguments several times, and I still haven't seen one very intelligent reason/argument why an outstanding talent continues to be left out of the team...and we are wasting valuable team space and time with players like Uche agbo and Mikel Agu who are more or less just negligible waste pipes.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

anointed wrote:Rohr has been good but his rigidity will be his undoing.

Uche Agbo
Mikel Agu
and some other players

When he could have tested real prospects. I still think he wasted the friendlies in March.
I keep saying that the likes of Usman, Nwakali brothers, and Azubuike Okechukwu are among the most intelligent young Nigerian ballers we have now, and there is no excuse why we haven't given this boys enough chances to prove their quality. I get that Rohr is trying to stay loyal to the core of his players, but surely there are some players on that team that are far and in between just wasting space, needless even mentioning the fact that they serve as irrelevant placeholders over far better players. Even the the left back dude that played yesterday showed why its gross abomination taking Echejilie to the world cup.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Tobi17 wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:Pointless whining. :boo: :boo:
Yeah, I guess the likes of Mikel Agu, Uche Agbo not excluding a host of other world cup bound players are sure setting the world alight at their respective clubs abi? even our most elite players like Mikel, Iwobi, Nacho etc aren't particularly doing any better in their club situations compared to Kelechi so why hoard the obvious truth? We've gone down that line of recycled daft arguments several times, and I still haven't seen one very intelligent reason/argument why an outstanding talent continues to be left out of the team...and we are wasting valuable team space and time with players like Uche agbo and Mikel Agu who are more or less just negligible waste pipes.
So u think that Nwakali is a superior talent struggling in division 2 but the likes of iheanacho and Iwobi, Agu and Agbo are talentless but play for bigger clubs.....great logic

Anyone else we should invite based on talent for Mikel's position afterall he plays in China
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The worldcup is not a "send off" for senior players.

It is not specifically only for players who "prosecuted the qualifiers" especially if these players played little to no role at all an just wasted space on the bench.

The worldcup is not an excercise in loyalty.

The worldcup is for your BEST PLAYERS.

Rohr has had over 2 years, countless friendlies, countless dead rubber matches, and plenty of qualifiers to mold perhaps the most formidable SE team in history.

He has failed MISERABLY in his scouting efforts.

Mikel Agu and Uche Agbo have remained constants in the team. Agu was even useless when he stepped on the pitch. I don't even know if Agbo has ever played.

The entire time the only thing that has changed with the team is UZOHO and Joel Obi. Rohr was even forced to call up Joel, and right away he stepped above Onazi, Agu, Ogu, Agbo in the pecking order.

Does anybody really believe that players like Onyekuru, Kelechi, Chidebere, Usmain, Azubikwe, Olayinka, Imoh, Kalu, would not have knocked any of our current players out of their position ?

Instead ROHR protected a useless Musa who did not play a single minute of football for nearly half a year. He didn't even invite or give one player a chance to prove he is a better option to Musa in 2 entire years.

What has gone on has been shameful and a huge wasted opportunity.

The first 11 is great, but the bench options are not it.