I know it's pointless whining now...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: I know it's pointless whining now...

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:He didnt play AM though, we can't ignore that point. That said he's the future.

Allow dem.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

There is something to be said of team chemistry ahead of a world cup, most of these players participated in the gruesome qualifiers and they by and large deserve to prosecute the world cup

We've seen it before when certain players suddenly rise to the occasion ahead of world cup qualifiers (Yekini 98; Ogbeche 02; Haruna 10; Ameobi 14) and become a dud at the world cup, not because they may have been bad, but they came in too late to fit into the system, so Im glad Rohr stuck to his guns

You have no idea what other players may feel about the "gatecrashers" and the impact on team cohesion. You don't build a team with weeks to a tournament when you opponent have been gelling a team for years

For a change we seem to be doing the right thing. Any player who is looking good now ahead of the world cup can be tried out AFTER the world cup and a perfect place to start will be immediate friendlies and if good enough, can finish off our Nations cup qualifiers
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

vancity eagle wrote:The worldcup is not a "send off" for senior players.

It is not specifically only for players who "prosecuted the qualifiers" especially if these players played little to no role at all an just wasted space on the bench.

The worldcup is not an excercise in loyalty.

The worldcup is for your BEST PLAYERS.

Rohr has had over 2 years, countless friendlies, countless dead rubber matches, and plenty of qualifiers to mold perhaps the most formidable SE team in history.

He has failed MISERABLY in his scouting efforts.

Mikel Agu and Uche Agbo have remained constants in the team. Agu was even useless when he stepped on the pitch. I don't even know if Agbo has ever played.

The entire time the only thing that has changed with the team is UZOHO and Joel Obi. Rohr was even forced to call up Joel, and right away he stepped above Onazi, Agu, Ogu, Agbo in the pecking order.

Does anybody really believe that players like Onyekuru, Kelechi, Chidebere, Usmain, Azubikwe, Olayinka, Imoh, Kalu, would not have knocked any of our current players out of their position ?

Instead ROHR protected a useless Musa who did not play a single minute of football for nearly half a year. He didn't even invite or give one player a chance to prove he is a better option to Musa in 2 entire years.

What has gone on has been shameful and a huge wasted opportunity.

The first 11 is great, but the bench options are not it.
Not true...
Ebuehi, Aina, Idowu were introduced under Rohr.

Our bench is good. Agu and Agbo probably won’t make the trip and we already have nice bench options in Iheanacho, Joel, Etebo, Simon, Aina, Ebuehi/Shehu etc. Better than 2014, not even close.

We can only take 23, but you listed a lot of wingers. The only question mark we have in attack is Musa and he played decently in the qualifiers and against Argentina back in 2017. The only person who is good enough to replace him is Onyekuru but he isn’t fit. MCL injuries are no joke. Though I would have put him on my provisional roster to assess his fitness, mental state.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Only Mikel Obi and Wilfred Ndidi can honestly lay claims to being better midfielders than Kelechi Nwakali. Anyone saying otherwise is just being dishonest!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Nobody is going to change the WC team to accomodate a couple of players that played well in a friendly that was played at home. The good news is we have the Nations cup qualifiers and tournament proper around the corner. Some of these players will be part of that team and can show their skills then. Very soon, we will start the 2022 WC qualifiers and they can horn their skills against the usual minnow....Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, erc that are used to make up the numbers for the qualifiers. I am excited about the future of the SE. We must keep supporting Pinnick to continue creating a professional environment for these kids to grow.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.