CAMEROUN'S DISALLOWED GOAL VS PERU 1982 WC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
CAMEROUN'S DISALLOWED GOAL VS PERU 1982 WC

Post by anointed »

Can anybody offer a perspective on why it was disallowed? It looked like a good goal to me.

Does it have anything to do with being naive Africans, who had no godfathers, cos that goals would have changed the complexion of the tornament, considering also that Algeria was plainly robbed by the shameless and frauduent antics of both West Germany and Austria.

The Joy of Six: World Cup refereeing controversies

5. Roger Milla's disallowed goal against Peru (1982)
A moment of officiating incompetence that had a surprisingly broad historical significance. With Cameroon's opening group match against Peru goalless Roger Milla ran on to a neat through pass and lofted the ball into the roof of the net, before running off to celebrate, not with a groin-thrusting romance of the corner flag, but with a single erect arm, Alan Shearer style. The goal was disallowed for offside by the Austrian referee Franz Wöhrer and his East German and Romanian linesmen Adolf Prokop and Nicolai Rainea – despite the fact that neither Milla nor any other Cameroon player was close to an offside position at any stage.
The game finished goalless and might, at the time, have seemed an irrelevance – minor African team get unlucky in group game clash – if it wasn't for the fact that this was in fact a fine Cameroon team, as they would show in their subsequent 0-0 with a strong Poland and the 1-1 against eventual winners Italy in the final group game. Milla's chalked-off – and expertly taken – goal turned out to have historically urgent resonance. Not just because Italy went through by virtue of having scored more goals and would eventually beat West Germany convincingly in the final. More pertinent to Milla, Cameroon would have become the first African team to reach the second round, four years ahead of Morocco in 1986. And in the process a sense of injustice – fanned in Cameroon by England's two, fairly unarguable, penalties in 1990 – that African teams were being covertly excluded from the late stages of the World Cup might never have come about.
Milla (already 30 in 1982) would have his moment. The corner-flag groin-thrust would surface finally eight years later as a brilliantly talented Cameroon team came close to a semi-final place. And perhaps, on reflection, there is a tiny sense of who it may have been directed at.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... troversies
vs Peru
[/video]

vs Italy
[/video]
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CAMEROUN'S DISALLOWED GOAL VS PERU 1982 WC

Post by Scipio Africanus »

What made you wake up today and decide to add to the pain of the plantanians? Is it not enough that they have to watch this upcoming WC on old black and white Sanyo TV sets, missing one antenna?

What next? Are you going to bring up Suarez' spectacular save against Ghana in WC 2010? :mad:

Wha choo looking at?!
goldenera94
Egg
Egg

Post by goldenera94 »

This wrong call pales compared to the call in AFCON 1988 final Cameroon v Nigeria
Goldenera94
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Atrocious!! This is why VAR is a great assistance.

anointed wrote:Can anybody offer a perspective on why it was disallowed? It looked like a good goal to me.

Does it have anything to do with being naive Africans, who had no godfathers, cos that goals would have changed the complexion of the tornament, considering also that Algeria was plainly robbed by the shameless and frauduent antics of both West Germany and Austria.

The Joy of Six: World Cup refereeing controversies

5. Roger Milla's disallowed goal against Peru (1982)
A moment of officiating incompetence that had a surprisingly broad historical significance. With Cameroon's opening group match against Peru goalless Roger Milla ran on to a neat through pass and lofted the ball into the roof of the net, before running off to celebrate, not with a groin-thrusting romance of the corner flag, but with a single erect arm, Alan Shearer style. The goal was disallowed for offside by the Austrian referee Franz Wöhrer and his East German and Romanian linesmen Adolf Prokop and Nicolai Rainea – despite the fact that neither Milla nor any other Cameroon player was close to an offside position at any stage.
The game finished goalless and might, at the time, have seemed an irrelevance – minor African team get unlucky in group game clash – if it wasn't for the fact that this was in fact a fine Cameroon team, as they would show in their subsequent 0-0 with a strong Poland and the 1-1 against eventual winners Italy in the final group game. Milla's chalked-off – and expertly taken – goal turned out to have historically urgent resonance. Not just because Italy went through by virtue of having scored more goals and would eventually beat West Germany convincingly in the final. More pertinent to Milla, Cameroon would have become the first African team to reach the second round, four years ahead of Morocco in 1986. And in the process a sense of injustice – fanned in Cameroon by England's two, fairly unarguable, penalties in 1990 – that African teams were being covertly excluded from the late stages of the World Cup might never have come about.
Milla (already 30 in 1982) would have his moment. The corner-flag groin-thrust would surface finally eight years later as a brilliantly talented Cameroon team came close to a semi-final place. And perhaps, on reflection, there is a tiny sense of who it may have been directed at.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... troversies
vs Peru
[/video]

vs Italy
[/video]
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

I feel nothing for those Cameroonian thieves.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

The Cameroonian goalkeeper Thomas Nkono had to be the best goalkeeper out of Africa. Nobody had come close since his retirement. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Pure and plain day light robbery.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

It still pains me today to recollect, especially as it may have put one of Poland or Italy out.... so Ill just slide past....
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Thats was a goal, pure and simple, also was a time went there was blatant racism and prejudice against smaller nations
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

History has shown that when the oppressed wake, they can be more potent than their former oppressors.

So it is probably unwise the manner.in which Africa is treated.

You look at some of the most dominant groups in the world's economy today, they were formally oppressed.

I just hope people remember history, before they start crying in 50 or 100 years time that Africa is a bully or that

Africa has an unfair advantage.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:The Cameroonian goalkeeper Thomas Nkono had to be the best goalkeeper out of Africa. Nobody had come close since his retirement. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Every time I watch Thomas Nkono, I realise that I did not even appreciate him enough as a kid. Damn that guy was born to keep, see agility, see reading of the game.....Thomas Nkono a legend!
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I watched that game on TV. The refs were racist against African teams back then. Anyone remember Maldivian tripping the late Yekininwhen he was clean through on goal? Our was it Barrsi?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

YUJAM wrote:I watched that game on TV. The refs were racist against African teams back then. Anyone remember Maldivian tripping the late Yekininwhen he was clean through on goal? Our was it Barrsi?
1. It was Maldini
2. He was the last man
3. He wrapped his arm around Yekini and dragged him to the ground
4. He only got a yellow

Interestingly enough, Antonio Conte was on the bench for this game and never got to play on the pitch. Anyway, no be today wey FIFA begin deal with African teams.

Wha choo looking at?!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

oloye wrote:
achuzia-the-air-raid wrote:The Cameroonian goalkeeper Thomas Nkono had to be the best goalkeeper out of Africa. Nobody had come close since his retirement. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Every time I watch Thomas Nkono, I realise that I did not even appreciate him enough as a kid. Damn that guy was born to keep, see agility, see reading of the game.....Thomas Nkono a legend!
He is a legend!
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Scipio Africanus wrote:What made you wake up today and decide to add to the pain of the plantanians? Is it not enough that they have to watch this upcoming WC on old black and white Sanyo TV sets, missing one antenna?

What next? Are you going to bring up Suarez' spectacular save against Ghana in WC 2010? :mad:
Let me kuku pile up the pain to the platainian o. Remember this Omam Biyik's disallowed goal in 1998 WC?
Two Cameroon players were sent off with red cards and the Indomitable Lions finished the match with only nine men on the field. But the play that enraged Le Roy occurred in the 59th minute with the score tied at 1-1. Francois Omam Biyick ricocheted a blast off the right post that skittered into the net, apparently giving Cameroon a 2-1 lead and renewing the brilliance that the forward had demonstrated with a short-handed goal to defeat Argentina in the 1990 World Cup.
But the referee, Laszlo Vagner of Hungary, waved off today's goal. He ruled that Cameroon forward Patrick Mboma had fouled Chile's Ronald Fuentes as the two players challenged for a header pass that Mboma placed at Omam Biyick's feet. The foul ruling seemed harsh on what appeared to be a routine play. And the decision was hugely important because Cameroon (0-1-2) needed a victory to advance, while Chile (0-0-3) needed only a tie.
https://www.nytimes.com/1998/06/24/spor ... ation.html

[/video]

But no be only them o...do you remember this in our match against Argentina circa 2010? Who knows our player that was held there?
[/video]
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

wanaj0 wrote:
oloye wrote:
He is a legend!
KPOM :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I watched that game on TV. The refs were racist against African teams back then. Anyone remember Maldivian tripping the late Yekininwhen he was clean through on goal? Our was it Barrsi?
1. It was Maldini
2. He was the last man
4. He only got a yellow

Interestingly enough, Antonio Conte was on the bench for this game and never got to play on the pitch. Anyway, no be today wey FIFA begin deal with African teams.
What exactly was rascism there?? That was 94 and the last man rule did not exist then.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

gochino wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
1. It was Maldini
2. He was the last man
4. He only got a yellow

What exactly was rascism there?? That was 94 and the last man rule did not exist then.
Where did you see racism in my post?

Wha choo looking at?!
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

I did not realise Thomas Nkono was that good. :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Sorry auto-correct was in full crazy mode. Maldini of course
Scipio Africanus wrote:
1. It was Maldini
2. He was the last man
4. He only got a yellow

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity was a red card back then. One can make the case that Maldini was not punished as harshly as say Uche would have been punished for the same foul, thus a case for racism
gochino wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
1. It was Maldini
2. He was the last man
4. He only got a yellow

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

[/video]
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

anointed wrote:

But no be only them o...do you remember this in our match against Argentina circa 2010? Who knows our player that was held there?
[/video]

Kai, Enyeama tried that day o!

And I wan yab Higuain for always chopping chances, but I saw the ones Messi chopped (credit to Vinny).
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."