Russia 2018 2nd Round: Which Opponent Should 9ja Face?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Which 2nd Round Opponent Do you Prefer?

Australia
44%
Denmark
11%
Peru
No votes
France
44%

Total votes: 9

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Russia 2018 2nd Round: Which Opponent Should 9ja Face?

Post by Kabalega »

TheTactician wrote:I'm pretty sure we aren't making it out of the group stage. Our group is far too tough and we have a serious goalkeeping problem. The goalkeeping problem wouldn't be an issue if we were defensively sound but, we can be a bit shaky at the back at times. Furthermore, we haven't displayed the ability to dominate possession which would be an excellent tactic to reduce the amount of chances available to opponents. You can't score if you don't touch the ball. Finally, we don't seem to have the ability to generate enough offense to outscore our defensive mistakes. In our group, 2 out of the four teams have serious issues at the back. One of those teams has Messi and the other is Nigeria. The other teams are defensively organized and hard to break down. I will be cheering for our boys 100% but I view this tournament as a stepping stone for our boys. 2022 and 2026 are the tournaments where I expect the team to boss other teams. We are on the up and up.
Let me make sure I get this straight.

So you don't think that 9ja will make it out of the group in 2018, but you expect them to qualify out of Africa in 2022 and 2026 and boss the likes of Argentina, simply because they will be better?

BTW, looking at the 9ja's record and play in the last 3 World Cups (2006, 2010 and 20140), would you predict how 9ja will perform in 2018?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

SE will most likely top the group or come second. We will beat Iceland, beat or draw with Croatia, and draw with Argentina.

Croatia will beat Argentina and Iceland. SE has a good chance --especially if Nwankwo is thrown into the mix. Based on his current form, he may end up being our joker!

Go SE!!!!!!
TheTactician
Egg
Egg

Post by TheTactician »

Kabalega wrote:
TheTactician wrote:I'm pretty sure we aren't making it out of the group stage. Our group is far too tough and we have a serious goalkeeping problem. The goalkeeping problem wouldn't be an issue if we were defensively sound but, we can be a bit shaky at the back at times. Furthermore, we haven't displayed the ability to dominate possession which would be an excellent tactic to reduce the amount of chances available to opponents. You can't score if you don't touch the ball. Finally, we don't seem to have the ability to generate enough offense to outscore our defensive mistakes. In our group, 2 out of the four teams have serious issues at the back. One of those teams has Messi and the other is Nigeria. The other teams are defensively organized and hard to break down. I will be cheering for our boys 100% but I view this tournament as a stepping stone for our boys. 2022 and 2026 are the tournaments where I expect the team to boss other teams. We are on the up and up.
Let me make sure I get this straight.

So you don't think that 9ja will make it out of the group in 2018, but you expect them to qualify out of Africa in 2022 and 2026 and boss the likes of Argentina, simply because they will be better?

BTW, looking at the 9ja's record and play in the last 3 World Cups (2006, 2010 and 20140), would you predict how 9ja will perform in 2018?
In my opinion, best case scenario is 1-1-1. I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong because it'll be to my benefit but as of right now, I don't have high expectations. I think they'll be much better in 4 years because imo, the most promising players on this team are still young. The likes of Iwobi, Nacho, Ndidi and co are still developing their game. They'll learn a lot from this tournament. Our youth pipeline has some promising talent that's on the cusp of being part of the senior team. If they develop properly, the team in 4 years will be significantly stronger than this one. Also, Gk, Lb and Rb are serious problems and in 4 years I expect the national team to have groomed solid replacements for these positions. I don't expect them to be world beaters but they should be dependable and solid.

Right now, when I look at the squad and see the likes of Ezenwa and co, I can't help but be filled with concern. It's truly unfortunate that Ikeme fell ill. He was absolutely fantastic for us and I wish him a speedy recovery.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I like your optimism

But seriously have you seen Croatia's aged midfield and aged, mistake prone defense? That should be good for about 2 goals.
Last edited by Scipio Africanus on Sat May 26, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wha choo looking at?!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I want Denmark.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
I like your optimism

But seriously have you seen Croatia's aged midfield and aged, mistake prone defense? That should be good for about 2 goals.
If Finland hustled Croatia, why can't 9ja beat them?
Are there any bold African footie fans left in 9ja? :twisted:
The timid mentality of some 9ja fans is concerning. :)
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu