Troost-Ekong Interview -- Telegraph UK

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Troost-Ekong Interview -- Telegraph UK

Post by Cellular »

William Troost-Ekong interview: Nigeria's rock on his bond with Harry Kane - and battle for acceptance

By Sam Dean
31 MAY 2018 • 12:40PM
For William Troost-Ekong, the road to Wembley began only 30 miles away from the national stadium, at a private boarding school in the Hertfordshire town of Bishop’s Stortford. Since then, it has taken him all the way from London to Holland, Norway to Belgium and Nigeria to Turkey, and seen him represent seven different clubs and two different countries, all before the age of 25. “It’s a long way round,” he says with a smile. “The longest way round.”

The journey comes full circle this weekend, when Troost-Ekong pulls on Nigerian green and trots onto the Wembley pitch to face England in a pre-World Cup friendly. It will feel like a homecoming, and it will provide a reunion with Harry Kane, the striker who once helped Troost-Ekong fill out his registration forms when he was a fresh-faced scholar at Tottenham Hotspur. “He was one of the first guys that sat me down and helped me,” Troost-Ekong remembers. “It’s amazing to see how well he has done.”

Troost-Ekong and Kane have trod markedly different paths since those teenage days, only five years ago, when they shared a training pitch in north London. While Kane is the local lad who became the nation’s striking sensation, Troost-Ekong is the rugged centre-back who was born in Holland, raised in England and now praised in Nigeria as a leader of a side who could spring a surprise at this summer’s World Cup.

Troost-Ekong, who earlier this year became the third African player to commit one per cent of his salary to charity as part of Juan Mata’s Common Goal project, will be one of the more intriguing characters at the tournament. Born to a Nigerian father and Dutch mother, he grew up near Amsterdam but speaks, as a result of his schooling, with a discernible north London twang. He is at once Nigerian and Dutch, but is also at home in England, where his fiancée is expecting their first child.

This heritage has inevitably presented its own challenges, but it has also shaped his personality. “When I am in Holland they see me almost as a foreigner because I am not a typical Dutch guy,” he says. “And when I go to Nigeria they see me as a foreigner as well, so there has never really been somewhere where I can say: 'OK, this is me.' I have always had a bit of that, but it has become part of me.”

Troost-Ekong played for Holland at junior levels but made his debut for the Nigerian senior team in 2015 after an impressive season on loan at Dutch side FC Dordrecht.

“There were a lot of doubts over me because I did not play for a big team in Holland before my first call-up,” he says. “Then, on top of that, being ‘Oyibo’, or half-white, you have to prove yourself even more.”

A bronze medal at the 2016 Olympic games was a highlight, but he was stung by criticism from his former manager, Sunday Oliseh, who once accused the defender of being incapable of coping with the physical rigours of African football.

“My partner at centre-back [new Brighton signing Leon Balogun] is half-German, half-Nigerian, so he is the same as me,” Troost-Ekong says. “After a game, he [Oliseh] said we were too soft to play against African players. That upset me, because one of my traits as a player is that I am someone who does not back away from anyone. I am not the most skilful, but I know what I am good at.

“I think that’s part of being from different countries, different cultures. It’s not nice when people try to use that against you. I identify myself as being Nigerian as well, and I feel at home in the team. Not once have I ever looked around and thought ‘this is not for me’. But it spurred me on. I have played against African strikers since then and no one has bullied me. I have proven my point.”

He has certainly done that under current manager Gernot Rohr, to the extent that he and Balogun have been affectionately nicknamed the ‘Oyibo wall’ in Nigeria. Troost-Ekong captained his country for the first time earlier this year, and is a key part of a solid side which he says can be “lethal” in attack.

In Russia, their opponents in the group stage will be Croatia, Iceland and, for the third World Cup in a row, Argentina. “Croatia and Argentina are probably the favourites,” Troost-Ekong says, but with familiar faces such as Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi and usual captain John Obi Mikel, Rohr’s side have a threatening combination of power, flair and experience.

Both Moses and Iwobi could have played for England, but like Troost-Ekong chose to represent Nigeria instead. “You have to go where you are loved, where you are appreciated,” he says. “It is more appealing for younger players. It is opening doors for foreign-born Nigerians, and I think there are going to be more to follow. Nigeria is a giant of African football.”

Troost-Ekong is now hoping that the World Cup will provide a platform to impress Premier League clubs. He is happy in Turkey, at Bursaspor, but has unfinished business in England after playing for the junior teams of Fulham and then Tottenham.

He credits his time at Tottenham, and particular the tutelage of academy chief John McDermott, as being crucial to his development, but left the club for Dutch side FC Groningen in 2013 following the appointment of Tim Sherwood as manager. “Me and Tim did not have the best rapport,” he says. “He did not really believe in me as a player.”

He may have taken the long road back, and may only be here for a few days, but Troost-Ekong is beginning to make a habit of converting those doubters into believers. “I’ve taken a different route,” he says. “But if I can get to the Premier League, I will feel like I have achieved a lot.”

William Troost-Ekong feels Nigeria could be a surprise package in Russia CREDIT: DALE CHERRY
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... arry-kane/
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
asabatex
Egg
Egg
Re: Troost-Ekong Interview -- Telegraph UK

Post by asabatex »

:thumbs: solid player
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Sunday has a spectacular way of pissing people off.
Maybe he was trying to motivate William, and you might argue it worked, but there has to be a better way to bring the best out of people rather than antagonize them.

Anyway sha, thank god for our Oyinbo wall!
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

It is not a Troost-Ekong interview if he does not mention Oliseh lol.

The guy HATES Oliseh, I am sure of it. :rotf: :rotf:

I am not joking. Do a quick google search of Troost-Ekong Oliseh :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have not seen a single interview where he did not mention Oliseh.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Tbite wrote:It is not a Troost-Ekong interview if he does not mention Oliseh lol.

I am not joking. Do a quick google search of Troost-Ekong Oliseh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Words are powerful, very powerful....

The individual at the receiving end of it that know the full impact it.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tbite wrote:It is not a Troost-Ekong interview if he does not mention Oliseh lol.

Your subjective opinion.
He might just be ventilating pain, without the hate.

Oliseh himself hasn't particularly shown any love or interest in the rise of the SE since his departure.
I find that rather odd.
When nor be say him be Betty Vogts or Lars Lagerbach.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

charlie wrote:Sunday has a spectacular way of pissing people off.
Maybe he was trying to motivate William, and you might argue it worked, but there has to be a better way to bring the best out of people rather than antagonize them.

Anyway sha, thank god for our Oyinbo wall!
Oliseh is an old school hot headed Nigerian uncle who just puts you down to get results or if he can't get results and never apologises when you prove him wrong! :rotf:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Damunk wrote:

Your subjective opinion.
He might just be ventilating pain, without the hate.

Oliseh himself hasn't particularly shown any love or interest in the rise of the SE since his departure.
I find that rather odd.
When nor be say him be Betty Vogts or Lars Lagerbach.
Ok but whatever he is feeling is very strong.

Whether hate or strong pain or strong envy or whatever else.

I have no say or opinion on the topic either way, just found it interesting.

It is the first time I have seen such a thing before. I know Ibra and eto have their own feelings

But not in every interview.
You do not mention an individuals name in every single interview without some strong feelings attached.

Hope he is feeling better about things now. At least it is healthy to vocalize it?
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

True that Ekong has now mentioned that Oliseh issue multiple times. But remember it isn't just Oliseh. Similar issue was reported about Siasia on Balogun.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

:P
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

But it spurred me on. I have played against African strikers since then and no one has bullied me. I have proven my point.”

The above is what it is all about...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Oliseh's definitely not the best man-manager out there.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

cic old boy wrote:Oliseh's definitely not the best man-manager out there.
Fact not feelings... :D
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Robbynice wrote:
cic old boy wrote:Oliseh's definitely not the best man-manager out there.
Fact not feelings... :D
gbosa
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

I thank God for his life, I hope himself and Balogun are able to make a statement in Russia. They should try and do better than Taribo West, Uche Okechukwu (aka. Gentle Giant), better Eguavon and not make silly mistake in our 18 yard like it happened against Italy just few minutes to get victory... I pray for him that his wish to play in EPL will come to pass after a brilliant performance in Russia.
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Good interview. Really nice chap.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Didn't know he was a part of Tottenham's academy. No wonder he is that good :).
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!