Nigeria will win group D

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Nigeria will win group D

Post by waka-man »

It’s that time. My tournament prediction for Nigeria:

We will win Group D.

I wasn’t sure until yesterday. Now, I’m pretty confident. At least as confident as I was when making us favourites for the ANC in 2013
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=229801&hilit=Favourites

Although not quite as confident when I predicted our easy qualification for Russia
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=274293&p=5105812&hi ... e#p5105812

Here’s the facts:
This is a tough and unpredictable group. Every one will take points off everyone.

An aging Messi will not be able to cover for what is an unsettled and inflexible argentine squad. Their qualification problems were not a fluke. This is a team far to reliant on Messi, forcing good players to fit around him and not building a solid base in defence. They will loose to Croatia and may struggle to beat Iceland. Facing us will be a must win game for them, contrary to everyone’s expectation. That will not be bad for us.

If Messi is aging, the entire squad of Croatia is aging. They’ll be tidy and in control of the midfield in all the games, but they will struggle with the pace and be perfect fodder for our pace and strength. And while I don’t think we need to win this game, I think the longer it goes on, the more we’ll come into it. If we don’t concede in the first half, we should have enough to beat them.

Which will certainly throw the cats among the pigeons.

Iceland will be the determining factor in this group. Yes, they will be limited, but man they’ll be unorganised and crucially, unambitious. That’ll drive Argentina nuts and put them at risk. Where we’ll have an advantage is a better physical presence than both Argentina and Croatia and I see us getting the result we need against Iceland.

In summary, expect an incredibly tight group, less influence from Messi than we’ve come to expect and the group being won with 5 points.

And for us to be that team with 5 points.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
niyi
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria will win group D

Post by niyi »

Please include past references to your failed predictions too.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

I am not as confident after watching yesterday's match... I am quite worried about Rohr's selection and whether he will have the cajones to bench unfit players based on facts and not sentiments ala Robbynice... For your prediction to remotely have a chance of coming to fruition, several decisions has to be made: Omeruo has to start over Balagon, Iwobi can never be assigned to play on the flanks, Onazi has to be permanently benched, Ebuehi needs to start at RB. Also, if Joel Obi was unfit as Rohr said, and he believes he could play himself back into fitness, then I will prefer him partner Ndidi. Or Etebo. John Ogu is too slow, but he has the ball handling skills to offset his deficiency.

In essence, what I am saying is that we will be pressed early and often and we need players that can break the press quite easily. Currently watching the Brazil/Croatia match and in the first have they pressed Brazil with 5 players. That is what we will see in Russia... But the key is in Rohr's hands and honestly, I am not sure he will organize hus that way to break the press. He might organize us to withstand it. but breaking it is of most importance.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

niyi wrote:Please include past references to your failed predictions too.
I would. But there aren’t any
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

okuns wrote:I am not as confident after watching yesterday's match... I am quite worried about Rohr's selection and whether he will have the cajones to bench unfit players based on facts and not sentiments ala Robbynice... For your prediction to remotely have a chance of coming to fruition, several decisions has to be made: Omeruo has to start over Balagon, Iwobi can never be assigned to play on the flanks, Onazi has to be permanently benched, Ebuehi needs to start at RB. Also, if Joel Obi was unfit as Rohr said, and he believes he could play himself back into fitness, then I will prefer him partner Ndidi. Or Etebo. John Ogu is too slow, but he has the ball handling skills to offset his deficiency.

In essence, what I am saying is that we will be pressed early and often and we need players that can break the press quite easily. Currently watching the Brazil/Croatia match and in the first have they pressed Brazil with 5 players. That is what we will see in Russia... But the key is in Rohr's hands and honestly, I am not sure he will organize hus that way to break the press. He might organize us to withstand it. but breaking it is of most importance.
I agree with just about everything you’ve said
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

:)
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

waka-man wrote:
niyi wrote:Please include past references to your failed predictions too.
I would. But there aren’t any
:clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

We will need a miracle to top the group but I see us qualifying from the group behind Croatia.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

okuns wrote:I am not as confident after watching yesterday's match... I am quite worried about Rohr's selection and whether he will have the cajones to bench unfit players based on facts and not sentiments ala Robbynice... For your prediction to remotely have a chance of coming to fruition, several decisions has to be made: Omeruo has to start over Balagon, Iwobi can never be assigned to play on the flanks, Onazi has to be permanently benched, Ebuehi needs to start at RB. Also, if Joel Obi was unfit as Rohr said, and he believes he could play himself back into fitness, then I will prefer him partner Ndidi. Or Etebo. John Ogu is too slow, but he has the ball handling skills to offset his deficiency.

Balogun starts if SE is to have a chance, everything else you wrote makes sense
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Maybe in 2022 worldcup..you people are delusional
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Maybe in 2022 worldcup..you people are delusional
You say that every time. Maybe time to start being analytical instead of emotional about it
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

The smarter team will win on the day.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

waka-man wrote:
You say that every time. Maybe time to start being analytical instead of emotional about it
Funny that Wakaman & I have stood in the minority regarding the 2013 CAN & the 2018 WC qualification.
For the 2013 CAN, my only caveat was that Onazi starts over Ogude in the QF match that was making all of you afraid, and for the WCQ, I knew it was going to be a breeze and said so here (I panicked after Ikeme went down, but did not change my stance).

Once again, I agree with Wakaman, but with 2 Caveats.

1) Eldersen Echiejile does not go anywhere near the SE starting lineup, or come in as a substitute. He will cost us if he does.

2) Uzoho cannot cost us. I am his biggest fan & probably the 1st to mention him on the forum to counter the ridiculous invitation of Alampasu. I also felt that he could come off his line a bit more if necessary, but in the last 2 games, he committed a clear penalty against DRC, and while Sterling was already going down in anticipation of contact, Uzoho DID make contact, and some refs could have called that. In the WC, that could be a penalty, a red card and more tragically, the prospect of Karishika being one of 2 GK options left for the Eagles in a WC game.

3) Ndidi is fit (not as important as the 1st 2, but I'll just add it as jara)

Outside of these 2 events, we will have a good
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

This is an example of hoping against all hope
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I agree with you but I actually think we finish second to Croatia.

I see Argentina coming into the final game against us with 1 point and leaving the WC with 2 points.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

You dis fear fear boy!

Don't worry other players will make up for your hero's laziness (He has been good since 2016, but you can make a case for him costing us the game against England)

I'm passing through Texas on my way to Russia. Maybe I'll just come and slap the fear out of you. I'll be on the lookout for a fat 6'5 guy at Walmart.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

truetalk wrote:I also felt that he could come off his line a bit more
Yes, he is VERY hesitant.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Robotnik wrote:This is an example of hoping against all hope
CE never changes. I remember the threads before the CIV game in 2013.

The biggest enemy and limitation of Nigeria has always been Nigeria. For the first time there have been no off field issues with the Eagles (even in 2013, NFF had checked the team out of the hotel on the CIV QF date). There are only about 3 wastepipes on the team (with none likely to play).

You want to give a Nigerian team 2 weeks to focus and prepare, and you think we will be underdogs.

Like I have said here several times, but for off field issues, we had the team (some may want to say players) to get to the Semi Finals of every World Cup since 1994. And that includes the 2006 WC that we did not qualify for. The only exception to this was maybe 1998, but if Kanu & Amokachi did not ruin the team with politics & allowed deserving players like Ohenhen & Akpoborie on that team, we may have even survived Denmark (no getting past Brazil in those quarters though, even with a fit Shorunmu and Shakpoke)
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

truetalk wrote:

The biggest enemy and limitation of Nigeria has always been Nigeria. For the first time there have been no off field issues with the Eagles (even in 2013, NFF had checked the team out of the hotel on the CIV QF date). There are only about 3 wastepipes on the team (with none likely to play).

You want to give a Nigerian team 2 weeks to focus and prepare, and you think we will be underdogs.

Like I have said here several times, but for off field issues, we had the team (some may want to say players) to get to the Semi Finals of every World Cup since 1994. And that includes the 2006 WC that we did not qualify for. The only exception to this was maybe 1998, but if Kanu & Amokachi did not ruin the team with politics & allowed deserving players like Ohenhen & Akpoborie on that team, we may have even survived Denmark (no getting past Brazil in those quarters though, even with a fit Shorunmu and Shakpoke)
Why are you going back to 2013 ANC? Since then we've missed 2 ANCs, did you guys also predict that?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:
truetalk wrote:

Why are you going back to 2013 ANC? Since then we've missed 2 ANCs, did you guys also predict that?
I'm guessing they'll claim their silence was a prediction.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Sorry group D open, if Onazi starts any game, we will be lucky to get a draw
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Great observations waka-man.
One thing many fail to recognize is that Naija is very unpredictable, and right when every
d#$% and Harry start writing the country off on anything- 'GBAM' - surprise!!!
It's not going to be easy, but I predict we make the round of 16, at least.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

truetalk wrote:
You dis fear fear boy!

Don't worry other players will make up for your hero's laziness (He has been good since 2016, but you can make a case for him costing us the game against England)

I'm passing through Texas on my way to Russia. Maybe I'll just come and slap the fear out of you. I'll be on the lookout for a fat 6'5 guy at Walmart.

:rotf: