Nigeria's JMO-Sized Tactical Conundrum

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria's JMO-Sized Tactical Conundrum

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...
I concur. I now think unless he plays/starts in a deeper role then his presence could prove detrimental to the team's shape and structure.

The national team isn't the place for him to try and revisit his youth and what might have been.
Conceptually its not a bad idea. But I think it can be executed better. Its not however helped by his physical conditioning...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...
I concur. I now think unless he plays/starts in a deeper role then his presence could prove detrimental to the team's shape and structure.

The national team isn't the place for him to try and revisit his youth and what might have been.
Conceptually its not a bad idea. But I think it can be executed better. Its not however helped by his physical conditioning...
I'm no longer convinced it's a good idea.... he's a player I'm in two minds about. I think where does he best serve the team considering his skill set and those of other players; then again his versatility could prove a blessing, but Rohr will need to try him in a deeper role which I don't think he's considered before.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: these same jokers are still losing sleep and crying about Mikel..lmao..yall should focus on Onazi and Joel..nah Mikel una dey constant lose sleep about... smh..Your strikers haven't scored a single goal since that friendly vs Argentina
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

My gripe with Mikel he seems to hold on to the ball just a tad too long. I often wonder why he doesn't release the ball quickly, and when he does the defense have recovered.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

okuns wrote:My gripe with Mikel he seems to hold on to the ball just a tad too long. I often wonder why he doesn't release the ball quickly, and when he does the defense have recovered.

We are a countering team, and there has to be someone available for him to release the ball. Several times this past weekend, Ighalo drifted off side when mikel was positioned to pass the ball to him. People need to make off the ball runs or show up for him to pass it immediately. In the second half, he had several 1 touch passes with Etebo and other players that played closer to him. Mikel is not a player that ignores obvious passes, in fact one of the knocks on him all his career is his refusal to take responsibility and quick passes to other players.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:People need to make off the ball runs or show up for him to pass it immediately..
The movement from the forwards was largely non-existent.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

metalalloy wrote:
okuns wrote:My gripe with Mikel he seems to hold on to the ball just a tad too long. I often wonder why he doesn't release the ball quickly, and when he does the defense have recovered.

We are a countering team, and there has to be someone available for him to release the ball. Several times this past weekend, Ighalo drifted off side when mikel was positioned to pass the ball to him. People need to make off the ball runs or show up for him to pass it immediately. In the second half, he had several 1 touch passes with Etebo and other players that played closer to him. Mikel is not a player that ignores obvious passes, in fact one of the knocks on him all his career is his refusal to take responsibility and quick passes to other players.
Then he gets dispossessed. Luckily the other players don't throw up their hands and start walking around like he does....
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

zee wrote:
Kabalega wrote:Mikel is done!
On the green grass he is a huge liability. His value to the team might be in the locker room or elsewhere but footie wise, he will hurt the team big time.

His instinct is still to play it back. Example, look at how 3 England MFs accosted him in the 2nd half Mikel still tried to go back before Delph forced him to dribble forward. At the WC they would put legs in and snuff him out.

The Croatians will turn him into a turnover machine. Iceland will lay traps and pounce. Argentina will just take him out for good. It's the World Cup!
BUFFOON.
Quite articulate!

I don't know why MODs keep enabling this behavior.
This is what destroyed Ghanaweb and will CE.
Last edited by Kabalega on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

I'm no longer convinced it's a good idea.... he's a player I'm in two minds about. I think where does he best serve the team considering his skill set and those of other players; then again his versatility could prove a blessing, but Rohr will need to try him in a deeper role which I don't think he's considered before.

We are clearly better with him in a deeper position.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Contrary to what had become an established role at the heart of central midfield, Siasia would field John Mikel Obi (JMO) higher upfield, behind Sadiq Umar, the central striker, but in front of the two central midfielders, Azubuike and Etebo
get basic facts right if you want to be taken seriously
Siasia played mikel in front of Azubuike and Usman.
Azu was the anchorman/holding midfielder.
Usman the box to box and Mikel the AM
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Rohr refused to give Azubuike an opportunity
or look for a replacement Holding midfielder to fill the gap vacacted by Mikel when he got moved into the AM role
Instead he wasted friendlies trying out different variations of the same player - Onazi, Agu, Ogu, Joel Obi, Ndidi etc
i.e.. box to box midfield enforcer types

As a result MIkel is the only holding midfielder in our entire squad.
He HAS to be played deeper in midfield if we are to have any chance of keeping possession , building attacks methodically and playing in a way that doesnt rely on hopeless long balls.

I am still shocked Rohr thought a central midfield partnership of Onazi and Obi would work.
i expected that from ignorant fans but not a national team coach.
Hopefully he has learnt his lesson
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

smartbrother wrote:
Contrary to what had become an established role at the heart of central midfield, Siasia would field John Mikel Obi (JMO) higher upfield, behind Sadiq Umar, the central striker, but in front of the two central midfielders, Azubuike and Etebo
get basic facts right if you want to be taken seriously
Siasia played mikel in front of Azubuike and Usman.
Azu was the anchorman/holding midfielder.
Usman the box to box and Mikel the AM

Yes, Muhammed. But the overall point remains.

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Classic txj; indulging, once again, in delusions of grandeur :!: :!: :!:

Cheers
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

niyi wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Then he gets dispossessed. Luckily the other players don't throw up their hands and start walking around like he does....

:rotf: wouldn't that frustrate you too?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:People need to make off the ball runs or show up for him to pass it immediately..
The movement from the forwards was largely non-existent.
That is my biggest problem with this team. Very similar issue man united have as well. We have too many forward players that expect the ball to be fed right at their feet and if not they barely make the effort to run to them. The wingbacks try to run to the balls at least.

But that's the problem with having forwards that are primarily poachers.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The YeyeMan wrote:

In the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, JMO's role was so deep that he was the man collecting the ball from GK Enyeama. Remember those square passes back and forth that did little offensively for Keshi's team? The qualifiers showed us just as in the Confederations Cup in Brazil (which Keshi saw but ignored at the WC proper) that JMO is most dangerous in SE as an AM. Coach Gernot Rohr understands this clearly. The beauty about Mikel is that when he gets a goalscoring opportunity (even a from a disputed offside position against Algeria - our 2nd goal), he rarely loses concentration. We will need that strong quality in Russia.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

zee wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Without Mikel, all the teams will tear us a new ONE at the WC.
Mikel :clap: is not only our KEY PLAYER...... He is our only World class player.
I am surprised folks cannot see that.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

txj wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

We are clearly better with him in a deeper position.
[/video]

When JMO gets a chance in his advanced position, it is a goal. He is the ONLY ONE IN OUR SQUAD that carries that asssurance.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Thanks txj. I think this is one of the more important tactical
decisions the coach must make.

The Mikel I observed at Wembley was a bit jaded and off form.
He did give a good account of himself. His distribution, control
possession and ability to drive forward are at a high level. He
will be sharper and fitter at the WC.

However, one could observe that age is catching up with him.
He is a bit leggy and less elusive than he used to be. He does
not have the brute strength to hold the ball and hold off multiple
opponents like he used to. Back then 'Boy Wonder' was a marvel
of possession. You HAD TO FOUL HIM to get a sniff of the ball.
He could shield the ball and hold off two to three opponents
and still pull of a smart forward pass.

I suppose that with a fit and zesty Ndidi playing/ sitting behind
him, we could revisit the Mikel of ANC '13 and the Confederations
Cup of 2014. I would like to have that Mikel back at the WC. I
think it is a tactical imperative.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Mikel has to play in centre midfield, in front of the defence and make the play from there.

He's of little value to the team playing behind the striker.

If he and Rohr can't see this then they should both be put out to pasture.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Mikel can’t produce his best anymore (not outside China anyway) but Nigeria once again have not prepared well and thus Mikel was the best in that position too long without competition,the Eagles basically base their game around a man that is no way a number 10 and hardly makes impact his position.
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Mikel was instrumental in the only goal Nigeria scored against England. a looping pass to Igalo, which the latter crashed against the post for Iwobi to finish off. Mikel's speed has never been his strong point but even now it is now a significant negative factor.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

DIMKA76 wrote:Mikel was instrumental in the only goal Nigeria scored against England. a looping pass to Igalo, which the latter crashed against the post for Iwobi to finish off. Mikel's speed has never been his strong point but even now it is now a significant negative factor.
I thought it was Iwobi who made that pass.