Nigeria's JMO-Sized Tactical Conundrum

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria's JMO-Sized Tactical Conundrum

Post by txj »

Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Nigeria's JMO-Sized Tactical Conundrum

Post by txj »

On August 4 2016 at the Amazonia Arena in the sultry heat of Manaus, Brazil, Nigeria first unveiled a new tactical formation under Samson Siasia, in a wild game of Olympics football, which ended 5-4 in her favor, against Japan.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

When executed well, it has seen Nigeria develop play with much greater efficiency and arrive in the final third with stability and assurance. It has also increased Mikel's goals and assist rate for the national team.

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Fair point about his ball skills and effectiveness as the fulcrum in a fast paced forward line.

In front of goal, I could see some flashes of 2005 but I am realistic enough to accept that those days are now behind.

For Nigeria, he should be the DM especially in the Croatia match.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Contrary to what had become an established role at the heart of central midfield, Siasia would field John Mikel Obi (JMO) higher upfield, behind Sadiq Umar, the central striker, but in front of the two central midfielders, Azubuike and Etebo.
Rohr can achieve the same by partnering Ndidi with Etebo.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The problem for Nigeria is that for much of his career outside youth football, Mikel has always received the ball to feet in the first stage of the build up play. Under Mourinho and subsequent Chelsea managers, the spacing of players enabled Mikel and his team move the ball quickly with a regime of short horizontal passes, to both evade the press as well as transition to the next attacking phase.

Higher upfield when Nigeria use the outlet ball to Mikel, his skills and experience from Chelsea affect the speed of the counter. Even with his superb close control, the game at this stage would often require him to turn upfield, which he executes under regulation speed limits in a well heeled residential neighborhood...

Mikel is pretty good with the ball at his feet and rarely turns over the ball. He has the requisite skill set to play 1-2's with the likes of Iwobi and Moses with his back to the goal (see the first goal against Algeria and the fk that led to Iheanachos goal against Argentina). While he definitely can do it, he doesn't necessarily have to turn and run with speed at the defense. He just needs to draw enough attention to himself to open up lanes for the wingers/WF's. We have decent passers like Ndidi and Etebo behind him who can get the ball to his feet and it should be ok. Ndidi is a much better passer than he receives credit for.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

The Mikel I saw against England looks like an off-season Mikel. He just seemed to lack match sharpness.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

tXJ,

I think the bigger problem is off the ball when we occasionally try to press.

Mikel seems out of sync with his other 2 midfielders and goes on a yeoman ineffective press most of the time. It allows for easy passage of play against an experienced team.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

amafolas wrote:The Mikel I saw against England looks like an off-season Mikel. He just seemed to lack match sharpness.
Yeah. I observed quite a few players in addition were jaded. Maybe due to excessive travelling as alluded to in some threads.

He started to wake up in the 2nd half and actually had some decent chances in front of the England net but appeared hesitant to shoot.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
Contrary to what had become an established role at the heart of central midfield, Siasia would field John Mikel Obi (JMO) higher upfield, behind Sadiq Umar, the central striker, but in front of the two central midfielders, Azubuike and Etebo.
Rohr can achieve the same by partnering Ndidi with Etebo.
It's not the partnership bro....

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

metalalloy wrote:
The problem for Nigeria is that for much of his career outside youth football, Mikel has always received the ball to feet in the first stage of the build up play. Under Mourinho and subsequent Chelsea managers, the spacing of players enabled Mikel and his team move the ball quickly with a regime of short horizontal passes, to both evade the press as well as transition to the next attacking phase.

Higher upfield when Nigeria use the outlet ball to Mikel, his skills and experience from Chelsea affect the speed of the counter. Even with his superb close control, the game at this stage would often require him to turn upfield, which he executes under regulation speed limits in a well heeled residential neighborhood...

Mikel is pretty good with the ball at his feet and rarely turns over the ball. He has the requisite skill set to play 1-2's with the likes of Iwobi and Moses with his back to the goal (see the first goal against Algeria and the fk that led to Iheanachos goal against Argentina). While he definitely can do it, he doesn't necessarily have to turn and run with speed at the defense. He just needs to draw enough attention to himself to open up lanes for the wingers/WF's. We have decent passers like Ndidi and Etebo behind him who can get the ball to his feet and it should be ok. Ndidi is a much better passer than he receives credit for.
In this new role, even without losing the ball, his skill sets from his Chelsea career often means that he slows the momentum of the break.

2ndly, what is required of him often means that he is far more susceptible to the press now than he ever was before this period.

3rdly, the Nigerian game does require him to occasionally run with the ball, or receive the ball in traffic and turn.

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Mikel is done!
On the green grass he is a huge liability. His value to the team might be in the locker room or elsewhere but footie wise, he will hurt the team big time.

His instinct is still to play it back. Example, look at how 3 England MFs accosted him in the 2nd half Mikel still tried to go back before Delph forced him to dribble forward. At the WC they would put legs in and snuff him out.

The Croatians will turn him into a turnover machine. Iceland will lay traps and pounce. Argentina will just take him out for good. It's the World Cup!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:tXJ,

I think the bigger problem is off the ball when we occasionally try to press.

Mikel seems out of sync with his other 2 midfielders and goes on a yeoman ineffective press most of the time. It allows for easy passage of play against an experienced team.
He is not in the first line of press cus it appears Rohr wants him free to transition to the next phase. But even at that, his positioning in such situations is abysmal.

My biggest concern is often the gap between him and the two CMs...

Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The comments on this thread so far make no sense to me. Are folks talking about the same John Mikel Obi that featured in the qualifiers and against England Saturday at Wembley? Each time Mikel had the ball last Saturday (and I was there live), you saw the english players surround him, hustle him but yet he emerges with the ball. There was a point I concluded that Mikel is so good that he is able to post a move and adjust his body position to shield an oncoming player from the ball before that player gets to him. You cannot teach that. Also, when Mikel drives the ball, he glues the ball to his foot in such a majestic manner that fills the others with confidence and rarely does he post a turnover.

Mikel is done? What planet are these folks on? If you don't like Mikel, best to just say so.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Goldleaf wrote:The comments on this thread so far make no sense to me. Are folks talking about the same John Mikel Obi that featured in the qualifiers and against England Saturday at Wembley? Each time Mikel had the ball last Saturday (and I was there live), you saw the english players surround him, hustle him but yet he emerges with the ball. There was a point I concluded that Mikel is so good that he is able to post a move and adjust his body position to shield an oncoming player from the ball before that player gets to him. You cannot teach that. Also, when Mikel drives the ball, he glues the ball to his foot in such a majestic manner that fills the others with confidence and rarely does he post a turnover.

Mikel is done? What planet are these folks on? If you don't like Mikel, best to just say so.

I am not worried about Mikel but he was more match-fit during the qualifiers than he is at the moment. As the days go by, he will get back to his best. I am happy he played 90minutes, he needs to get back to full sharpness, which he wasn't on Sunday. Looks to me like he could drop some 5-10 lbs too.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Goldleaf wrote:The comments on this thread so far make no sense to me. Are folks talking about the same John Mikel Obi that featured in the qualifiers and against England Saturday at Wembley? Each time Mikel had the ball last Saturday (and I was there live), you saw the english players surround him, hustle him but yet he emerges with the ball. There was a point I concluded that Mikel is so good that he is able to post a move and adjust his body position to shield an oncoming player from the ball before that player gets to him. You cannot teach that. Also, when Mikel drives the ball, he glues the ball to his foot in such a majestic manner that fills the others with confidence and rarely does he post a turnover.

I saw the game last night and as a neutral the overwhelming fact that stood out afterwards was that Mikel is done!

The England players didn't want to go hard on Mikel for obvious reasons even though they took him down a couple of times and isolated him even more. Ask yourself how many times Mikel worked a move that found Ighalo?

World Cup opponents will take it to another level.
Did you see how Croatia were pressing in their last friendly game? :shock: Mikel will not get away with what he does against Croatia.

The team needs to learn how to play without Mikel and also use him as a decoy otherwise, he will hurt them.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Kabalega wrote:

I saw the game last night and as a neutral the overwhelming fact that stood out afterwards was that Mikel is done!

The England players didn't want to go hard on Mikel for obvious reasons even though they took him down a couple of times and isolated him even more. Ask yourself how many times Mikel worked a move that found Ighalo?

Did you see how Croatia were pressing in their last friendly game? :shock: Mikel will not get away with what he does against Croatia.

The team needs to learn how to play without Mikel and also use him as a decoy otherwise, he will hurt them.
Have you seen the team play without Mikel? Pls watch them and then revisit/amend your comments above. Mikel is the glue that keeps that team together and Coach Gernot Rohr is abundantly clear on that fact. Mikel was not available at the friendly matches in Barnet and it was all wishywashy without a pattern. Pls find another player to critique and leave Mikel alone. BTW Mikel Obi has been shielding the ball successfully from his introduction at WC U17 2003 in Finland when he was first discovered.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Goldleaf wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Have you seen the team play without Mikel? Pls watch them and then revisit/amend your comments above. Mikel is the glue that keeps that team together and Coach Gernot Rohr is abundantly clear on that fact. Mikel was not available at the friendly matches in Barnet and it was all wishywashy without a pattern. Pls find another player to critique and leave Mikel alone. BTW Mikel Obi has been shielding the ball successfully from his introduction at WC U17 2003 in Finland when he was first discovered.
While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...

Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

txj wrote:
Goldleaf wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...
Sadly Mikel is the glue of the team and sadly he has waned ...this is why the likes of Ajagun and Nwakali ..plus Etebo should have been tried in that position . I Do think Etebo, Iwobi can play the 10 role and Mikel drops to a Xabi Alonso type position behind them sha.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Goldleaf wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

You missed my last sentence?
Who said anything about shielding the ball?
Some of you guys are so emotionally vested in Mikel that you are missing the obvious.

Did you see how many times JMO was dragged to the sides where he was harmless? Meanwhile, the England defense was taking a breather and reinforcing while Mikel was dancing ajasco somewhere else.

Ask yourself, when Mikel shielded the ball and came out with it. What then did he do with it? Nothing of note!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote:While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...
I concur. I now think unless he plays/starts in a deeper role then his presence could prove detrimental to the team's shape and structure.

The national team isn't the place for him to try and revisit his youth and what might have been.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Kabalega wrote:Mikel is done!
On the green grass he is a huge liability. His value to the team might be in the locker room or elsewhere but footie wise, he will hurt the team big time.

His instinct is still to play it back. Example, look at how 3 England MFs accosted him in the 2nd half Mikel still tried to go back before Delph forced him to dribble forward. At the WC they would put legs in and snuff him out.

The Croatians will turn him into a turnover machine. Iceland will lay traps and pounce. Argentina will just take him out for good. It's the World Cup!
BUFFOON.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The YeyeMan wrote:
txj wrote:While he is the major glue that holds the team together on and off the field, his powers have waned significantly compared to his Chelsea days, and in his current role on the field, he presents some serious problems...
I concur. I now think unless he plays/starts in a deeper role then his presence could prove detrimental to the team's shape and structure.

The national team isn't the place for him to try and revisit his youth and what might have been.
Without Mikel, all the teams will tear us a new ONE at the WC.
Mikel :clap: is not only our KEY PLAYER...... He is our only World class player.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo