Requiem for Bielsa…next up Jesse James

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Bielsa AKA The Guardfather set to join TBL

Post by txj »

danfo driver wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
tfco wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The man just gave Lampard serious durty slap and the V sign to the authorities.

The greatest thing about the Bielsa press conference is the massive 'eff you' he sent tp Frank Lampard, by giving away all of his extensive analysis on his team to the world (and every Championship team) for free.

The man could have chosen not to, but he had to teach the upstart Frank Lampard a lesson. It was like he was saying, how dare you throw shade at me Frank? I know your team better you, what more, and I will let everyone know about it too.

I loved every minute. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I disliked Lampard as a player. I am beginning to dislike him as a coach. I watched the Leeds v Derby game and the difference was clear. Leeds played like a team that knew what they were doing and you could actually see the strategy and tactical steps in their game. On the other hand, Derby looked like a division 2 team, just hoofing the ball and trying to injure Leeds players. There was no strategy, no plan, no tactics clearly visible. He should concentrate on preparing his team better for matches.

I suspect that if it was Lampard presenting all this, the English media would've hailed him as the best thing since sliced bread. Never liked Lampard; should've seen his mumu face after the match...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Gabriele Marcotti
Senior Writer, ESPN FC

Whatever happens next, Marcelo Bielsa has won the battle for hearts and minds following "Spy-Gate."

A story that began with Frank Lampard talking about some "undercover" person hiding in bushes "on... hands and knees" with "pliers and bolt cutters" has since been turned around 180 degrees.

The man Bielsa sent to watch Derby County's training sessions was outside a perimeter fence and wasn't trespassing. The fence was undamaged. If he had "pliers and bolt-cutters" with him, he likely swallowed them to destroy the evidence because none were found. Far from ghosting in like a ninja, he turned up in a Leeds United official vehicle.

On Wednesday, six days after the fact, Bielsa took it upon himself to embark on a remarkable 70-minute lecture that saw him painstakingly recount all the analysis -- video and tactical -- that he and his 20-strong team of assistants go through ahead of each match. (Rather mischievously, he scheduled it for two-and-a-half hours before Derby's FA Cup replay against Southampton.)

This wasn't exactly rocket science: after all, many top-flight clubs do much the same thing. Indeed, anybody who uses WyScout for video and statistical analysis would be halfway there. But "Spy-Gate" left many staggered by Bielsa's meticulousness and obsessiveness. Suddenly the conversation became about the way Bielsa works and his unorthodox decision to share it all in public. He went so far as to talk about a game against Pep Guardiola's Barcelona when he was the boss at Athletic Bilbao. Bielsa lost 3-0 (and, he says, only because Barca took it easy on him) but afterward Guardiola came up to him and said: "You know more about Barcelona than me!"

At the news conference this week, Bielsa made the point that all this research and analysis probably doesn't make much difference to the outcome. "So why do I do it?" he asked rhetorically. "Because I think I am stupid."

Game. Set. Match.

Bielsa accumulates and processes as much information as he and his staff can assemble because he simply wants to know as much as possible. Even if it only moves the needle a tiny bit, football folk believe in marginal gains. Besides, he couldn't live with himself if he knew there was one tiny stone left unturned.

And suddenly, the conversation turns. Despite some tabloid blaring out headlines that said Bielsa "admitted" to "spying" before every game, what sticks is just how hard the guy works, how that work is driven by humility and an admission of ignorance, and how he does all this knowing that, in most games, it will be irrelevant.

Marcelo Bielsa's outrageous news conference was classic Bielsa behavior, and it proved his point while adding to his reputation among some sets of fans. Sebastian Frej/MB Media/Getty Images
Given this context and knowing that no laws or rules were broken, nobody trespassed or damaged property or even went out of their way to be incognito, you can't help but wonder: Why was Lampard so bent out of shape about this?

My guess -- and I haven't spoken to him -- is that he isn't. My guess -- Lampard is an intelligent, well-traveled guy whom everybody seems to like -- is he realizes that he overplayed his hand with the accusations and ultimately lost the PR game.

Lampard may be right in saying that sending scouts to watch a rival's training sessions isn't part of the culture of the English game, and for this reason Bielsa has said he won't do it again. But it's not as if this is a bolt out of the blue. When Jose Mourinho rocked up to coach Chelsea in 2004, the team trained at a university sports ground and, on most days, anyone could watch. Mourinho changed all that. He wrote to the fans explaining that for the good of the club, they'd now be training behind closed doors.

That was 15 years ago. Since then, virtually every top club's training sessions take place far away from the public eye. Without a doubt, Bielsa knows the reason why managers work away from prying eyes: they fear that "stuff" -- arguments and embarrassing moments between teammates, sure, but also tactics and injury news -- might leak out. If the "cultural norm" of not finding out about rivals' training sessions were that entrenched, there would be no need for high walls and security patrols around the perimeter of training grounds.

Is Bielsa right in arguing he didn't gain any significant advantage by "spying" on opposing clubs? It's a question of degree, frankly.

There's only so much you can learn from training sessions unless a coach plans on revolutionising the side. The most valuable aspects are set-piece movements and, perhaps, a gauge of the physical state of some players: who's injured or who's carrying a knock. But unless you actually happen upon a session where something new is introduced or a player gets injured, most of that will already be in the public domain, either through watching video of previous games or simply reading news reports.

What is not in question is that what Bielsa did wasn't illegal, nor was it unethical. It might have been if his emissary had misrepresented himself, if he had trespassed or used some kind of spying equipment like drones or high-powered mics. That didn't happen.

So what are we left with?

Bielsa says he'll be respectful of the "cultural norms" and won't do this again. In the meantime, he has only fueled his legend further. It's hard to imagine most managers making such a fuss about this, but that's Bielsa: he knows his audience. And that includes both the admirers who have followed his career from Argentina to Spain to France and the Leeds United hardcore, who love nothing more than a bit of siege mentality.

Lampard might well feel a little silly. He never cited this as an excuse for Derby's defeat, but his critics will see this as a bit of whingeing. And he gave Leeds, one of his rivals for promotion, a bit more ammo next time around. He was no doubt being honest in his bewilderment at what happened, but that doesn't mean he helped himself.

Call it a bump in the road for a young manager in his first season. Also, call it a savvy backpedal and ju-jitsu for an experienced manager who knows how to get both the media and his own fans to eat out of his hand.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/marcott ... -a-victory
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Pep Guardiola:
'No manager has the amount of information he produces for every single game, for every single player and every single movement. Everything they do. It is not two or three games, or even one season.

'It is unique what he does. The most important thing I learned from what he said is that football belongs to the players. The players make the difference. That is what I more agree with what he said.'
I thought Lampard said everybody does it? Guardiola? Pochettino? Klopp? They all do it?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Wet, windy, winter, where? You guessed it.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Coach wrote:Wet, windy, winter, where? You guessed it.
has The PowerPoint guru ever done it at the 'Britannia'??

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Few, if any, have...ever will.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Even in the Bible Moses did not get to see the promised land, yet he is no less a prophet, likewise for the Guardfather.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Behold a pale white horse and his name was Stoke. With Norwich firing on al cylinders and the Blades, sharp and at the ready, there may be a change of guard in the coming weeks.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Mikel to Boro, could il padrone have competition even if they're seven points away?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Biggest game of the weekend well under way at Elland Road and the Canaries are giving best.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Battered!!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

This is all Lampard's fault.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Was all a little too predictable from Leeds. Not a smidgen of change.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

the spy got shagged

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Coach wrote:Behold a pale white horse and his name was Stoke. With Norwich firing on al cylinders and the Blades, sharp and at the ready, there may be a change of guard in the coming weeks.
Guard changed. And next up, the master Mason, All Father. Has ever a task been more Sisyphean?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Bielsa Beware. Leeds leapfrogged by Sheffield’s sharpshooters and Nou Camp Norwich.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Running on empty. Bielsa's Boys run roughshod by rampant Rangers.

The truest Everest of all club endeavours. The most mount Olympus of all gladiatorial conquests. The Championship. Behold, a whole Marcelo Bielsa takes the knee, heaven forbid the custodian of all tactical acumen is forced before the play-offs, that minotaur laden labyrinth of Greek mythology. Bielsa would be wise to start or face promotion, three the hard way.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Coach wrote:Bielsa Beware. Leeds leapfrogged by Sheffield’s sharpshooters and Nou Camp Norwich.
I've wanted to highlight the Blades tactics but I can't find the tactics thread.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Bottom of the first page. Wilder, true to his name with not a moments hesitation when the fight’s called. Wilder has sent the Blades out swinging, 3-5-2 with overlapping wide centrebacks and a dense midfield block. Brilliant and worthy of analysis in the tactics thread without doubt.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

back on top?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Big Darren being bish boshed at the Home of the Brave. Must say, hasn’t been eye-catchingly innovative, underlapping fullbacks for a spell in the first and a moderate frontline press. Not as Optimus Prime as expected, but the Baggies have been body bagged and zipped up.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:?

just checked the score...kai

4-0

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S