We Hve A Problem. How Far Do U Think We Go? 2nd Rnd Imposs

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Larry Ashagbe 1
Egg
Egg
Re: We Hve A Problem. How Far Do U Think We Go? 2nd Rnd Impo

Post by Larry Ashagbe 1 »

The only revelation so far is the goalkeeper Uzoho.

What a crazy match with regards to the weather.

At the start of the match, it was too hot and there was water break.

Heavy rain with hailstorm and hailstones has stopped play for 5 mins.

Very, very strange, I have never seen anything like this before in my life.

wanaj0 wrote:
Larry Ashagbe 1 wrote:After watching today's match of Nigeria v Czech Republic.

I identified the following major problems.

1. We cannot defend set piece.
2. Our free kicks and corner kicks were poorly delivered by Victor Mosees.
3. Kelechi Iheanacho took over free kicks and corner kicks duties and he was equally poor with his deliveries
4. I would have started the match with Simmy Nwankwo today since he did not feature against England and see what he can do because Rohr has already seen too much of Ighalo.
5. Why is John Ogu playing left back, I don't understand. Is this a new formation or someone is injured.
6. We cannot score goals.
7. We don't have world class strikers.
8. Services to strikers are ZERO.

I have already bought all my tickets, hotel etc but I don't have confidence on this team doing very well in Russia.

I don't have any expectations and I will NOT be disappointed with the Super Eagles should they perform poorly.

I am going to Russia to enjoy the atmosphere and the jamboree and be prepared for BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

If we get to the 2nd round, in my opinion, then that should be considered as winning the world cup.

I hope that I am wrong and I would like us to win the world cup.

How Far Do U Think We Go?

Let's hear your take on it.
From the start I know that getting out of the group stage will require a miracle. There is a reason why we are the lowest ranked team in the group.

I also know that we like to trivialize the achievements of previous coaches like Keshi. Time now for our FC who was provided with all he asked for to earn his pay. Anything less than QF is a failure.

I hope that this tournament will show that we got no world class player but with a TEAM of hungry and committed players, we can achieve success.

Nothing surprising so far! None of the concerns are new. Who is the striker to replace Ighalo for example?
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Iwobi should drop to the bench and be used as a super sub. Izoho too inexperienced in competitive games. Ighalo can do his aimless running around as a sub in 80+ min. Man Shehu is poor as a RB but that was clear during the qualifiers.

Ezenwa
Ebuehi Ekong Balogun Echiejile
Ndidi Ogu Mikel
Moses Iheanacho Musa
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

3. Kelechi Iheanacho took over free kicks and corner kicks duties and he was equally poor with his deliveries
4. I would have started the match with Simmy Nwankwo today since he did not feature against England and see what he can do because Rohr has already seen too much of Ighalo.
5. Why is John Ogu playing left back, I don't understand. Is this a new formation or someone is injured.

I have already bought all my tickets, hotel etc but I don't have confidence on this team doing very well in Russia.

I don't have any expectations and I will NOT be disappointed with the Super Eagles should they perform poorly.

I am going to Russia to enjoy the atmosphere and the jamboree and be prepared for BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

If we get to the 2nd round, in my opinion, then that should be considered as winning the world cup.

Larry, the only problem we have is the ......................Goalkeeping position!!!!!!!!!!
I just watched the match a couple of mins ago and the biggest problem we have is and still remains the keeper. I still maintain that our undoing(if any) at the WC will come as a result of the inexperience and skill-level of our keeper(s).
A normal AVERAGE top-flight keeper would have come out of his line and punch or pluck the cross that led to the goal............but our kiddie-keeper stayed rooted at his goal-line.
Vic Moses FKs were all GOOD(5min, 23min, 27min, 41min & 63min) ...............I will like to believe that we were always out-jumped & out-muscled 'cos our players didn't want to risk any injury. BUT THE FKs WERE VERY GOOD.
All-in-all.............the 'out-field' players are the least of my worries 'cos I know they will come good when the chips are down.
My fear and worry is and still remains our GOALKEEPERS................if a keeper don't know when to leave the goal-line for a 'punch, flick or catch', that whole team is DOOMED.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
fledy
Egg
Egg

Post by fledy »

Oga Larry the key point in your thread which was lack of world class strikers should also include the lack of world class players. This team is just very average at best. No player on this team is real quality & can change the dymanics of a game in one instant. Argentina has Messi & Aguero, Croatia has a gifted midfield & Iceland who has no world class players pay attention to details.
We've qualified and we should just enjoy watching these guys play.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

oscar52 wrote:Iwobi should drop to the bench and be used as a super sub. Izoho too inexperienced in competitive games. Ighalo can do his aimless running around as a sub in 80+ min. Man Shehu is poor as a RB but that was clear during the qualifiers.

Ezenwa
Ndidi Ogu Mikel
Moses Iheanacho Musa
how exactly was shehu poor ?
Pounded Yam
Egg
Egg

Post by Pounded Yam »

green4life wrote:
platinum wrote:Have you seen Argentina's problems????

Iceland too. And Croatia. ALL three have major issues especially Argentina.

You're looking at this from only green lenses Larry.
The fact that Argentina has been playing the likes of Haiti and Isreal says something. Anyway, Rohr is on the right path but time isn't on his side. He just needs to swap Mikel and Iwobi positionally and shift Moses to RWB if sticking with 352.
:agree:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Otitokoro wrote:Larry,

My take is a bit different. The main problem I see with this team is two-fold:

1. Obi Mikel. I think he is a cog in the wheel up front. No way should he be playing behind the striker(s) - he is WAY too slow. He also hangs onto the ball for way too long - taking unnecessary extra touches on the ball. He is one of the main reasons whey Ms. Ighalo keeps finding himself in an offside position - ball is released far too late. Mikel needs to be told by Rohr to play the role he played at Chelsea - DM. With both himself and Ndidi sitting in front of the back 3, I believe that would help our leaking midfield. Iwobi and Etebo should be the preferred options for the 'playmaker' role - they certainly don't dilly dally unnecessarily on the ball (like Mikel does)!

2. Victor Moses. This guy has been pathetic in his play so far. I went back to see his games in the 2014 WC in Brazil and nothing has changed (he had a poor outing there also). I really think Rohr needs to have him play where he plays for Chelsea - i.e. wingback. Dude is poor playing as a striker - hugs the ball and his first instinct is to dribble, instead of finding the open man. Between the England and the Czech game, there were many times he lost the ball because of trying to take an extra touch or trying to dribble his man, when a simple touch pass would have been the intelligent thing to do. He could be a very frustrating player to watch.

I have never been an Ighalo fan (I don't think he offers enough as a striker) and would have loved to have seen more of Simy. Unfortunately, Rohr has decided to hang his hat on Ighalo. Playing him upfront as the lone striker (as we have seen in both recent games - including the Congo game) is a recipe for disaster for Nigeria. Dude cannot score! Also, Rohr would need to respond quicker to the changing fortunes of the team during games. His insisting on playing a hapless Ighalo, Moses and Obi were concerning. Also, without question, the loss of Simon Moses is HUGE, as there really isn't anyone else on the team that can provide the wide play options he could. Real sad he couldn't make it.

Overall, we need to prepare ourselves for the potential reality of a disappointing WC outing, this time around. We will be very fortunate if we don't go three and out.
Someone should send this to that clueless Rohr..Mikel should ply along side Ndidi..Iwobi Replaces Moses, Etebo plays AM(Moses plays Wing back) anythign else is a waste of time..that Rohr is stubborn, Mikel is trash playing AM..Worldcup no be china or Olympics
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Larry Ashagbe 1 wrote:The only revelation so far is the goalkeeper Uzoho.

What a crazy match with regards to the weather.

At the start of the match, it was too hot and there was water break.

Heavy rain with hailstorm and hailstones has stopped play for 5 mins.

Very, very strange, I have never seen anything like this before in my life.
wanaj0 wrote:

From the start I know that getting out of the group stage will require a miracle. There is a reason why we are the lowest ranked team in the group.

I also know that we like to trivialize the achievements of previous coaches like Keshi. Time now for our FC who was provided with all he asked for to earn his pay. Anything less than QF is a failure.

I hope that this tournament will show that we got no world class player but with a TEAM of hungry and committed players, we can achieve success.

Nothing surprising so far! None of the concerns are new. Who is the striker to replace Ighalo for example?
And the bold line exactly lies my problem. He is just too inexperience for my liking and with inexperience comes mistakes. I pray he does not commit one that will haunt him and kill his SE career for ever. Does anyone remember the Agbonibasket RIP errors in Togo during the WAFU cup and how that haunted him for the rest of his SE career? I pray the same doesn't happen to Uzoho who in my opinion isn't just ready for 2018 but will definitely be in great shape in 4 years time. I only hope we just not rushing too far too soon.

That said even though i didn't watch todays match, i see enough in the England's match to give me some good reason we will progress out of our group. And this is based on the tactical awareness Rohr displayed in the 2nd half against England and other matches in the qualifying series that i watched.. His 2nd half tactics in that match left England bench clueless and they could only hang on praying that the match end soon. We all remember how the tactical awareness of that Denmark coach in 1992 made a world of difference. Who knows our SE might just be a re-incarnation of that Denmark team with Rohr at the steering.

Now don't get me wrong, i don't expect us to win the cup. That belongs to Germany to lose. But after getting out of the group which i believe we will, and the luck of the draw, Rohr tactical awareness could go a long way in getting us to the semi-finals. Who knows?
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Check out the babes...and it'll be a BIG SUCCESS.
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Odas wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:3 and out.

I don't think we will win one match tbh. Maybe get a draw vs Iceland.
I disagree with you Vancity-eagle (VE). We will top our group and advance to the next round.
Odas, your consistent confidence is infectious. For example, you have been very vocal about how we will definitely beat Croatia. Let's wait and see hoping it all comes together.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

oscar52 wrote:Iwobi should drop to the bench and be used as a super sub. Izoho too inexperienced in competitive games. Ighalo can do his aimless running around as a sub in 80+ min. Man Shehu is poor as a RB but that was clear during the qualifiers.

Ezenwa
Ndidi Ogu Mikel
Moses Iheanacho Musa
You tend to have head scratching comments. Iwobi to the bench? :dream:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

zee wrote:

Larry, the only problem we have is the ......................Goalkeeping position!!!!!!!!!!
I just watched the match a couple of mins ago and the biggest problem we have is and still remains the keeper. I still maintain that our undoing(if any) at the WC will come as a result of the inexperience and skill-level of our keeper(s).
A normal AVERAGE top-flight keeper would have come out of his line and punch or pluck the cross that led to the goal............but our kiddie-keeper stayed rooted at his goal-line.
Vic Moses FKs were all GOOD(5min, 23min, 27min, 41min & 63min) ...............I will like to believe that we were always out-jumped & out-muscled 'cos our players didn't want to risk any injury. BUT THE FKs WERE VERY GOOD.
All-in-all.............the 'out-field' players are the least of my worries 'cos I know they will come good when the chips are down.
My fear and worry is and still remains our GOALKEEPERS................if a keeper don't know when to leave the goal-line for a 'punch, flick or catch', that whole team is DOOMED.
Overall, Uzoho has been better than I expected, and is largely unflappable. His major undoing is his strange reluctance to leave his line during crosses(despite his obvious height advantage), and poor ball distribution from the back. He's saved his fair share of goalbound efforts. The emergency plan of fielding him in all the friendly matches has built his confidence, but is it enough?
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This is an atypical Nigerian team in that its best players are defensive and that attacking is the weakest part of the team. This team is built to succeed only with a bunch of 0-0 draws or 1-0 victories. Stick 10 men behind the ball and hope to nick a goal on the counter or off a set piece. The team is not incisive enough to consistently create chances or score goals. I cannot believe I just sad that about a Nigerian team.

Nigeria has scored only 2 goals in their last 4 games...
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

zee wrote:

Enyeama came out against France and what happened? I kept for many years. Keepers are advised to play to their strengths...
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

I believe Rohr is masking the Eagles team. We will do fine in Russia to the surprise of everybody; I think we will be at the quarterfinals and then who knows.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:We have a few outstanding issues though...
(1) Goal-scoring, (2) Creating chances, (3) Defending spot-kicks, and (3) utilizing our own spot-kicks.
Yes! Apart from scoring goals, creating chances and defending set-pieces Nigeria is fine. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

2nd round at best.

Nigeria might lose the first game and still end up qualifying....

But a first round exit is a strong possibility.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

This is the POOREST SE team I have ever seen personally. A few people on this forum can see the decline in quality from Rahidi Yekini- Agahowa-Victor Aghali-Aiyegbeni-Osaze-Nsofor-Emenike and now Ighalo?? Ighalo?? Seriously??? Where w'd Ighalo fit in 1994....... Well, thats what we got now..... I'd be more afraid If we qualify....and it'd be by LUCK, IMHO.....
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

MYMIND wrote:

Ezenwa
Ndidi Ogu Mikel
Moses Iheanacho Musa
You tend to have head scratching comments. Iwobi to the bench? :dream:
There were games in the qualifiers were Iwobi was so off form that he had to be benched. It's not totally off to start him from there.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

MYMIND wrote:
zee wrote:

Enyeama came out against France and what happened? I kept for many years. Keepers are advised to play to their strengths...
You had a very, very poor coach.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Gotti wrote:We have a few outstanding issues though...
(1) Goal-scoring, (2) Creating chances, (3) Defending spot-kicks, and (3) utilizing our own spot-kicks.
Yes! Apart from scoring goals, creating chances and defending set-pieces Nigeria is fine. :D
Basically, apart from playing football we have no worries. You be true yeyeman :thumbs:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

zee wrote:

After all these years on CE you have decided to say the truth. Hallelujah.

I think they might be trying to give the young GK real match experience, just in case he is asked to keep in the WC.

The young GK is not yet ready for this level... He plays in third division in Spain.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

MYMIND wrote:
Would you say in your many years of experience as a GK, do you have the confidence in the young GK considering the goals he has conceded so far..
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim