SET PIECE DEFENDING

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
SET PIECE DEFENDING

Post by vancity eagle »

We will chop goals at this WC via set pieces.

Wanna bet ?

We are going 3 and out. You simply cannot defend so comically at this level. Our opponents surely would have noted this by now.

We can dominate all 3 games but when you have such a weak Achilles heel as such, we aint going nowhere.

Before the Czechs scored I just texted my brother saying how we will give up goals from set pieces this WC.

Minutes later the Czechs scored. What disgraceful defending.

It was John Ogu who lost his marker and gave him a free header on goal. Uzoho saved but the rebound was tucked in.

It's game over folks. This thread will be resurrected in each of the 3 matches.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SET PIECE DEFENDING

Post by danfo driver »

It will be a problem, yes.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Set piece defending is a real problem for this team.
Both the 1st ball and the 2nd ball.
I don't know what Rohr is going to do about it but he has to do something.
We start very slowly which shows that the players have very little concentration.
Croatia will start early, take the ball to the byeline and force corner kicks and send Lovren and Mandzukic forward for the headers.
Balogun and Ekong just don't go near the ball when it comes through.
This may be a good bonus for Rohr to start Simy so that he can help out with the set pieces.
Drogba was a constant for Chelsea defending corner kicks and won many headers.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Definitely, our set piece defending has been atrocious. Good news is this is basic stuff that can be fixed on the training ground so I expect improvements especially given we've been so amateurish in defending them.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:Definitely, our set piece defending has been atrocious. Good news is this is basic stuff that can be fixed on the training ground so I expect improvements especially given we've been so amateurish in defending them.

You would think. But the same pattern has been repeated over and over again across multiple games. You can trust and believe our opponents know this. This is a problem that has plagued pretty much every SE squad in recent memory.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

green4life wrote:Definitely, our set piece defending has been atrocious. Good news is this is basic stuff that can be fixed on the training ground so I expect improvements especially given we've been so amateurish in defending them.
That's what I though 4 years ago. Basic stuff...can be fixed. Well, it wasn't
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

Set piece want stop us getting out of the group......apart from Iceland....Croatia and Argentina are filled with Ghana sized players....

Scoring goals though.......
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

deanotito wrote:
That's what I though 4 years ago. Basic stuff...can be fixed. Well, it wasn't
Lol. Half is mental i.e., concentration or lack of focus. For instance, they should always be aware of the potential for an early short pass in lieu of a direct corner kick but our guys get caught napping time and time again. Why? I have no idea :mrgreen: ... The rest is execution. I think we mark man to man and not zonal. That's straightforward. Lastly, step out of the area after clearing the first ball. This is elementary stuff so I expect vast improvements in this area.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Enyi wrote:Set piece want stop us getting out of the group......apart from Iceland....Croatia and Argentina are filled with Ghana sized players....

You forgot that their CBs aren't midgets. All it takes is to fall asleep on one chap like Lovren and Uzoho ia picking the ball from his net
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

green4life wrote:
Enyi wrote:Set piece want stop us getting out of the group......apart from Iceland....Croatia and Argentina are filled with Ghana sized players....

You forgot that their CBs aren't midgets. All it takes is to fall asleep on one chap like Lovren and Uzoho ia picking the ball from his net

Argentina beat you twice (94 and 2002) with set pieces
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

At these point the likes of Iceland, Croatia, and Argentina won't even bother to train hard to beat us.. They will just focus their drills and time on set pieces.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

vancity eagle wrote:We will chop goals at this WC via set pieces.

Wanna bet ?

We are going 3 and out. You simply cannot defend so comically at this level. Our opponents surely would have noted this by now.

We can dominate all 3 games but when you have such a weak Achilles heel as such, we aint going nowhere.

Before the Czechs scored I just texted my brother saying how we will give up goals from set pieces this WC.

It was John Ogu who lost his marker and gave him a free header on goal. Uzoho saved but the rebound was tucked in.

Glad na oyibo dey coach dem or else una go tok say he is an intellectual midget.

We are not defending it well neither are we executing it well. VicMo delivery takes forever to get there whenever he can get it over the first man. We need to work on our delivery as well as varying our execution of the corner.

On defending it. This is where video tutorial comes in handy. They can actually track every single Corner Kick they have defensed. They can be able to find out where most of the balls are delivered and position their best players (headers of the ball) in that area. Secondly, they can try one of the rudiments of defending corners, change the trajectory of the ball by placing a player short side of the ball in front of the ball and have the kicker be forced to loop the kick so as to give your defenders better chance of getting to the space and the ball. But like in Basketball, rebounding and heading the ball is a combination of positioning and desire.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

The question is how do we stop the team from losing 3 games straight. The problem with this team is low football IQ
Ok this comment i made in the heat of the moment
Set piece defending should improve by the time we play against Croatia
Last edited by Robotnik on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Iceland will definitely practice set pieces and Croatia and Argentina have the personnel to win free kicks and will more than likely win a lot of corners,I’m sure Rohr and staff are aware of their inability to defend against such threats but will they be able to stop the rot?
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Come to think of it, what is the average conversion rate for most teams on corners and how bad are we really?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Cellular wrote:Come to think of it, what is the average conversion rate for most teams on corners and how bad are we really?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... in-soccer/
Overall, corner kicks lead to goals about 3 percent of the time.
I will let you find the stats relevant to Naija :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Wanna bet ?

You’re free to support another team.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Compounding our poverty in defending set pieces is our futility in exploiting them:

Our corner kicks are haphazard; dead balls are taken at random, apparently determined by seniority of player rather than skill or practice; and the tallest players are often at the near post when we are executing a corner kick. What do we do in training?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Yes we have a problem defending set pieces no doubt. But giving up 7 corners in 17 mins is an aberration.

We have always had a problem defending them. This is nothing new. I hope we get better at it.

I just hate so called fans opening threads to say we will chop goals and are going 3 out and are coming to take bets. What manner of fan are you? Yes come in and say we have a problem, we discuss what can possibly be done to rectify in 7 days.

Miss me with the negative B.S.

#SoarSuperEagles
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:

Wanna bet ?

You’re free to support another team.
KPOM!!!!! Nuff Said.
miky
Egg
Egg

Post by miky »

is that not how Heinze scored against us in 2010

is that not how batistuta scored against us in 2002

and now cahill in england match??

Heading is the missing link that **** us up all the time

Ok i dey go back to study!!
A lion never dies it sleeps (Rip..Foe)

An Eagle never dies it soars Rip (Big Boss)
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Cellular wrote:Come to think of it, what is the average conversion rate for most teams on corners and how bad are we really?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... in-soccer/
Overall, corner kicks lead to goals about 3 percent of the time.
I will let you find the stats relevant to Naija :mrgreen:
:taunt: Thanks bro.

I don't think it is that huge of a problem to be honest with you.

We have to do a better job of not giving up cheap corners.

Employ a combination of zonal marking and man marking.

The last two corner kick goals we gave up we pretty much did all the right things but the other team got to the ball. Against England, the pick worked... we have to work through those picks. And the man at the goalline has to do a better job. And Keeper has to have full command of his 6 yard box. Take heads along the way if you are going to come out. Have an element of wickedness...

Goal against the Czech Republic, we just have to clear our lines and be attentive.

The bottomline is that we gave them multiple cracks at getting their routine right.

Again, what is more worrisome was our inability to execute one decent corner kick despite our own numerous chances at it.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Thank God you are asking a good question.

How many goals have we conceded from corners or free kicks in the last 5 matches?
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."