Mikel should start from the bench

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mikel should start from the bench

Post by Tbite »

I don't know if I am the only one that has noticed, but Mikel is beginning to decline.

I don't know if it is his age or the Chinese League (or both), but I can see a significant decline in his ability!

4 years ago, Mikel's passing range was much much better. It has been many games before I saw Mikel deliver pin-point passes for the GWG. His pass completion rate is decreasing!

His creativity and execution is also declining! This is a new Mikel, not the one we knew before.

If we had Mikel of 2014 against Croatia, the game could have been different. Mikel of 2018 is not it.

He is still one of our best players, but that doesn't say much.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
bigbrovar
Egg
Egg

Post by bigbrovar »

Tbite wrote:I don't know if I am the only one that has noticed, but Mikel is beginning to decline.

I don't know if it is his age or the Chinese League (or both), but I can see a significant decline in his ability!

4 years ago, Mikel's passing range was much much better. It has been many games before I saw Mikel deliver pin-point passes for the GWG. His pass completion rate is decreasing!

His creativity and execution is also declining! This is a new Mikel, not the one we knew before.

If we had Mikel of 2014 against Croatia, the game could have been different. Mikel of 2018 is not it.

I could not agree more. it is high time we give up on the idea of Mikel as a 10. Yes he showed promise in that role in some youth competition some 13 years ago. 99% of his professional football career as been as a DM. He lack the pace, speed and creativity to be a 10 for a team like Eagles. Even at his best Mikel was average and he only shine in the 10 role due to sustained lack of a natural play maker in the super eagles. Iwobi beings more energy and creativity to that role, and I think we should consider him there. He is the spark of hope in all the pre world cup friendly playing from the middle. The croatian game really exposed mikel and prevented us from moving the ball quickly from defence to attack and thus exposing the croatian problem with pace.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Playing in the Chinese league has certainly not helped as you dont play top opposition, Mikel range of passes at Chelsea were world class, did not see any of that on Saturday, was looking for those defence splitting passes, just something out of the extra, if he cant play in this role, then let him play defensive midfield and push Etebo upfront or allow Iwobi to play that position
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote:I don't know if I am the only one that has noticed, but Mikel is beginning to decline.

Mikel had a stinker of a WC in 2014 too. The Mikel of 2013 ANC and Confed Cup is what you are talking about.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
kolinzo wrote:I have said this on couple of occasions and I will say it again: Any team parading Mikel as the main 10 is in trouble.
Funny enough, Zola agrees with this POV.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289256
So how come the "flat" midfield dominated the better Croatian midfield?

The problem wasn't the personnel or where they were played.

The strategy and tactics were the problem. They played to neutralize they perceived superiority of the Croatian team, especially in midfield.

You dig out match threads where Mikel didn't play and most fans unanimously chorused how poor we were with ball retention and the ability to create chances.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:

Mikel had a stinker of a WC in 2014 too. The Mikel of 2013 ANC and Confed Cup is what you are talking about.
LOL... true.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

Roger Milla was more effective from the bench because of his.

to get thee best of Chinese league (Mikel and Ighalo) start them from the bench.

LEt the young bloods run the opposition down by 65mins opposition go do tire.

its a strategy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

Enugu II wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Every game, a new player should be benched.. CE.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Next game, another name. Na real wahala ooo! Today, na Aina for save us. Never mind that he did diddly against Argentina and Congo. Tomorrow, we will also call for Onazi's return or for Ezenwa's return. The best player is always the one that did not play.
:rotf: You too make sense jare. Just goes to show you that our squad has depth..... of subpar players.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
kolinzo wrote:I have said this on couple of occasions and I will say it again: Any team parading Mikel as the main 10 is in trouble.
Funny enough, Zola agrees with this POV.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=289256
So how come the "flat" midfield dominated the better Croatian midfield?

The problem wasn't the personnel or where they were played.

The strategy and tactics were the problem. They played to neutralize they perceived superiority of the Croatian team, especially in midfield.

You dig out match threads where Mikel didn't play and most fans unanimously chorused how poor we were with ball retention and the ability to create chances.
The stats says that Croatia midfield dominated Nigeria. Modric and Rakitic controlled the ball more, made more runs and forward passes. Just contrast Mikel's numbers with Modric. Modric sprinted twice as much as Mikel.

Mikel is 31 years old and really needs to be benched and saved for the last 20 minutes. I think a midfield with Ndidi Etebo and Iwobi is a far quicker and solid option. Then put iheanacho and Nwankwo up top. Those two run with sense not the cluelessness of Musa. Play Moses deep at right wing. Once in a while he can surprise the opponent by making runs and dribbling into the box.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Yes Mikel of 2013 was a beast.

This Mikel is still one of our best, but does not offer enough creative outlets.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tbite wrote:Yes Mikel of 2013 was a beast.

This Mikel is still one of our best, but does not offer enough creative outlets.
But remember he wasn’t the no. 10 on those teams so the creative responsibility wasn’t on him, he could pick and choose when he wanted to go forward. Sunday Mba, Michael Babatunde etc were used in that role because they played direct and could drive the ball forward at speed, Mikel can’t.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!