Croatia will struggle against Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Croatia will struggle against Nigeria

Post by waka-man »

Despite a shambolic first half against England and questions around set-pice defending, Nigeria defensive solidity will make life very difficult for Croatia.

Expect Nigeria to continue with the line-up that started against Czech Republic, with Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi tasked with clogging the midfield and giving Modric and his partners few passing lanes, even if the Croats will keep hold of the ball most of the time.

Key to the game will be the width of the wing-backs. There’s joy to be had in Croatia’s wide areas. Rohr is likely to persist with Shehu over Ebuehi. Either one will be a handful for Croatia’s slow back line.

The big question will be how effective Moses will be in a free role behind a battling Ighalo. Can he get close enough to his defacto strike partner and find his shooting boots to covert the opportunities that come his way.

The other question will be whether or not Nigeria decide to press high. My hunch says not despite how susceptible Croatia are to the press. I suspect Rohr will opt to hang back and play on the counter.

What could go wrong doe Nigeria? Lots. Failure to sort themselves out at set pieces. Too much of the ball winnign falling to Ndidi. Wing backs getting caught out of position. And fate.

For what it’s worth, I’d have Etebo start in the middle, Moses as one of the wing backs and Iwobi behind Ighalo. But Rohr has his game plan and I think it’ll do very well agiant a technically excellence, but slow Croatian team, unlikely to cope with Nigeria’s speed and variety.
Last edited by waka-man on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Croatia will struggle against Nigeria

Post by ohenhen1 »

The key to Nigeria victory.

1. Start fast
2. Play solid defense, wing backs got to be good to cut off the wing play. Nigeria must step up, don't fall back.
3. Reduce set piece opportunities. Clear the lines, no 2nd chances on set pieces.
4. Quick transition form defense to offense.
5. We must use our speed and strength
6. Play smart, no errors.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

waka-man wrote:
For what it’s worth, I’d have Etebo start in the middle, Moses and one of the wing backs and Iwobi behind Ighalo. But Rohr has his game plan and I think it’ll do very well agiant a technically excellence, but slow Croatian team, unlikely to cope with Nigeria’s speed and variety.
To me this is the very obvious thing to do. A midfield 3 of Etebo and Ndidi behind Mikel. Except I'd have Iheanacho instead of Ighalo.

The remaining possible changes (Omeruo instead of Ogu or evem Tyrone instead of Shehu) won't make or break us.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Croatia will deploy Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts methods to get decisions against us.

We need an equal amount of trickery and aggressiveness in good measure to deal with them. They appear prepared physically.

Our boys need to shift from this their butter butter disposition to jam body well well.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

They will suffer...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

I THINK NIGERIA WILL PLAY BETTER, BUT...

...it won't be a total shock if they don't make it out of the group. The first half vs England, and the whole Czech game doesn't give me a lot of hope. I don't consider England a great team but Nigeria adopted a defensive scheme that left England players ample room to complete passes. And it looks like the M/F cannot supply the ball to lone striker Ighalo. In fact, no dept (goalkeeping, defense, M/F, attack) can be considered a strength. That's not to say they won't make it to the next round though. One thing we can all be happy about is that Nigeria is looking better organizing itself off the field - it will bode well for the future.
Bell
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

We go defit dem, dat's all.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

We'll beat Croatia. Its the kind of match our boys come out for. Plus, we'll be well prepared. Counting down.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

waka-man has spoken!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

waka-man wrote:Despite a shambolic first half against England and questions around set-pice defending, Nigeria defensive solidity will make life very difficult for Croatia.

Expect Nigeria to continue with the line-up that started against Czech Republic, with Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi tasked with clogging the midfield and giving Modric and his partners few passing lanes, even if the Croats will keep hold of the ball most of the time.

Key to the game will be the width of the wing-backs. There’s joy to be had in Croatia’s wide areas. Rohr is likely to persist with Shehu over Ebuehi. Either one will be a handful for Croatia’s slow back line.

The big question will be how effective Moses will be in a free role behind a battling Ighalo. Can he get close enough to his defacto strike partner and find his shooting boots to covert the opportunities that come his way.

The other question will be whether or not Nigeria decide to press high. My hunch says not despite how susceptible Croatia are to the press. I suspect Rohr will opt to hang back and play on the counter.

What could go wrong doe Nigeria? Lots. Failure to sort themselves out at set pieces. Too much of the ball winnign falling to Ndidi. Wing backs getting caught out of position. And fate.

For what it’s worth, I’d have Etebo start in the middle, Moses as one of the wing backs and Iwobi behind Ighalo. But Rohr has his game plan and I think it’ll do very well agiant a technically ex
cellence, but slow Croatian team, unlikely to cope with Nigeria’s speed and variety.

This is what I call good analysis.. unfortunately,we have to read 100 junk threads before we get to it. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

That Kramaric dude for Croatia is deadly, with a stinging shot in both feet. Also very good on the ball, almost like an Argie player. Hm, e go hard o.

Wha choo looking at?!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

The key, concentration, concentration, concentration...

We need to go with 3-5-2. Have the extra man in the middle and keep things compact. We break up play and move the walls to either flank quickly.

Ebuehi plays and Victor Moses should be the other wing back (Brian needs to sit this one out). Ndidi and Ogu should sit in the middle and Mikel play in the hole, Iwobi and Nacho should attack from the left and right.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Mr Shows wrote:The key, concentration, concentration, concentration...

We need to go with 3-5-2. Have the extra man in the middle and keep things compact. We break up play and move the walls to either flank quickly.

Ebuehi plays and Victor Moses should be the other wing back (Brian needs to sit this one out). Ndidi and Ogu should sit in the middle and Mikel play in the hole, Iwobi and Nacho should attack from the left and right.
Sorry but Ogu needs to sit this one out for Etebo.

This kind of match is made for Etebos hustle. Ogu will be a passenger in this type of match.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If we are going to play 3-5-2

Uzoho
Balogun, Ekong, Omeruo or Awaziem
Ebuehi, Mikel, Iwobi, Ndidi, V Moses
Ighalo, Iheanacho

Defensive midfielders will cover the full backs when they push forward. Ndidi will drop in between the central defenders when we are defending in our own half.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

On attack, one wing back will be allowed to join the attack. The other wing back will have to stay back. Iwobi and Iheanacho will have a free role. Ighalo must stay upfront, no drifting wide. Ndidi and Mikel can pick their spots. But one must stay back if one attacks. Wing backs must be disciplined. This is why Shehu must be on the bench. He is not a disciplined wing back. I saw him drift out of position several times against Czech Republic. If we are tactically disciplined. We will beat Croatia.

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Both teams will struggle but I think Nigeria can win. Next Sat at 1 PM
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

You cannot beat Serbia or Czech but somehow want to beat Croatia

Your hope is on Chinese league midfielder while Croatia have no 10 of Real Madrid and you are there boasting

Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter

Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Ivan Perisic (Inter Milan), Nikola Kalinic (AC Milan

Names don’t play football but for these are Champions league players
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

YUJAM wrote:Both teams will struggle but I think Nigeria can win. Next Sat at 1 PM
My day off

:thumbs: :thumbs:

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

born2win wrote:You cannot beat Serbia or Czech but somehow want to beat Croatia

Your hope is on Chinese league midfielder while Croatia have no 10 of Real Madrid and you are there boasting

Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter

Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Ivan Perisic (Inter Milan), Nikola Kalinic (AC Milan

I would rather win a world cup game than beat Serbia and Czech republic in a friendly

I guess you have selective amnesia when it comes to Nigeria victories over Poland and Argentina.

joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

born2win wrote:You cannot beat Serbia or Czech but somehow want to beat Croatia

I hope you will have the decency to come back here and admit you were wrong,
when the SE beat Croatia. Until then, you can name all the Croat players on big
clubs to your satisfaction.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We have to work on passing out of the press and also pressing teams in the opposition half. Also we are too slow in our build up right now.

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

vancity eagle wrote:

Sorry but Ogu needs to sit this one out for Etebo.

This kind of match is made for Etebos hustle. Ogu will be a passenger in this type of match.
Etebo comes on to replace a tiring Mikel to sustain momentum. Ogu will provide defensive cover as Ndidi pushes up, both of them can shoot from long range. Ogu keeps things simple, instead of Onazi, he starts for me
ayohoff
Egg
Egg

Post by ayohoff »

Ezenwa

Omeruo*******Ekong**********Balogun

Ndidi

Moses *****************************Mikel**********************Idowu

Etebo Iwobi

Ighalo/Ihenacho
great goal!