Croatia will struggle against Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Croatia will struggle against Nigeria

Post by spastic »

ohsee wrote:If they start Mario Mandzukic, we will be in serious trouble during corners, free kicks and crosses. Knowing our weakness in these areas, they may start him, or bring him on if they fall behind. Do we have an answer to Mario's ability in the air, or his incredible ability to find space in the box, and finish?

All the so-called tactical analysis will come to naught if the Croats simply practice hoofing the ball to Mario just like Juventus did against Real in the second leg of this year's Champions League. Note that he scored two simply executed goals in that match.
PA, correct me if I'm.wrong.... But all these questions sound like say your bodi dey shake :rotf:
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

spastic wrote:
ohsee wrote:If they start Mario Mandzukic, we will be in serious trouble during corners, free kicks and crosses. Knowing our weakness in these areas, they may start him, or bring him on if they fall behind. Do we have an answer to Mario's ability in the air, or his incredible ability to find space in the box, and finish?

All the so-called tactical analysis will come to naught if the Croats simply practice hoofing the ball to Mario just like Juventus did against Real in the second leg of this year's Champions League. Note that he scored two simply executed goals in that match.
PA, correct me if I'm.wrong.... But all these questions sound like say your bodi dey shake :rotf:
With a 19year 4th Div keeper manning our posts...............only 'dreamers' bodi no dey shake, reality based football analyst bodi dey shake BIGTIME. :scared: :mrgreen:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

spastic wrote:

:D
My fellow fake City fan, :D :taunt: how my bodi no go shake? People go on about Modric and Rakatic, but the real danger in my opinion is Mandzukic. Bobo finished Cameroon in the last WC; worse, the guy made Real Madrid's Carvajal--alleged by some to be the best right back in the world--look like a very small bomboy.

People on this site like to engage in silly and complex tactical analysis to show how they could have made good coaches, but the simplest changes often work very well in football. Juventus' coach simply had tall, extremely good in the air Mario come in from the left where he faced short man devil Carvajal. The result was two easy goals from crosses. :lol: Now if we start Shehu, how are we sure the same will not happen to us?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

zee wrote:
spastic wrote:

With a 19year 4th Div keeper manning our posts...............only 'dreamers' bodi no dey shake, reality based football analyst bodi dey shake BIGTIME. :scared: :mrgreen:
Oga zee, my bodi dey shake well-well o, though I HOPE that Naija can, like they have done in the past, spring a surprise on an European team. First round is when African teams usually do their damage. So make we dey hope.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ohsee wrote:
spastic wrote:

My fellow fake City fan, :D :taunt: how my bodi no go shake? People go on about Modric and Rakatic, but the real danger in my opinion is Mandzukic. Bobo finished Cameroon in the last WC; worse, the guy made Real Madrid's Carvajal--alleged by some to be the best right back in the world--look like a very small bomboy.

People on this site like to engage in silly and complex tactical analysis to show how they could have made good coaches, but the simplest changes often work very well in football. Juventus' coach simply had tall, extremely good in the air Mario come in from the left where he faced short man devil Carvajal. The result was two easy goals from crosses. :lol: Now if we start Shehu, how are we sure the same will not happen to us?
Thank you Prof :clap: .................In the German docu on the SE(posted on CE), Rohr said that Simy 'cos of his height gives him 'tactical flexibility' that our other strikers didn't give him/us.
In his own words, he said that Simy gives him other tactical options.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

ohsee wrote:
zee wrote:
spastic wrote:

Oga zee, my bodi dey shake well-well o, though I HOPE that Naija can, like they have done in the past, spring a surprise on an European team. First round is when African teams usually do their damage. So make we dey hope.
Prof, I trust our 'out-field' players to do damage to European 'TEXTBOOK' defenders.
My fear remains our Keeper/s, hopefully Uzoho or whoever is the keeper will have a '5 match or more' world class performance ..........and that is also not impossible.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

john12 wrote:No matter how you twist and turn it or call him a troll but Croatia still has Higher rated players than us as proven by the caliber of teams that their guys play for compared to our guys. They have world class players that plays at WORLD CLASS teams week in and out while most of our guys are at backwater leagues. Therefore, Croatia are expected to win the game. However, in football anything can happen meaning that we can win. Whatever happens at this tournament, I hope we can continue with rohr because he has made tremendous progress from where we were until now.
I agree with the points you stated in this post, especially the highlighted!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Cellular wrote:
born2win wrote:You cannot beat Serbia or Czech but somehow want to beat Croatia

Your hope is on Chinese league midfielder while Croatia have no 10 of Real Madrid and you are there boasting

Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona), Mateo Kovacic (Real Madrid), Milan Badelj (Fiorentina), Marcelo Brozovic (Inter

Mario Mandzukic (Juventus), Ivan Perisic (Inter Milan), Nikola Kalinic (AC Milan

Names don’t play football but for these are Champions league players
:D No doubt Croatia have very good players. They are expected to win.
The thing with Naijaria is that you guys are getting us too early in the competition to get a real bid on how we play.
When we face big names we typically step up. That is the X-factor with the team.
A week from today, ready or not, you will see a different Naijaria. You will start wondering what happened to your big names.
KPAM! :agree: :agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

born2win wrote:
bret- hart wrote:born2win is a Croatian troll. I see you talking $@#% on bigsoccer. Don't worry Saturday cant come quick enough.
Am a Croatian troll? Lol b deceiving ur self.

I tell you Croatia have the potential to top the group and argentna second.
Hmm, sorry to disagree with you - Sir! What you wrote (said) will NOT happen.
Last edited by Odas on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

The Croatian staff and players are giving full respect to Nigeria. The approach is to make it a possession game. Hoping to playmake opportunities. Avoid catastrophic errors in the back.

We’re hoping we have enough individual class for somebody to step up. Modric? Mandzukic? Perisic? These are our magic players.

Times up for this golden generation. Now or never. Fingers crossed.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

mate wrote:The Croatian staff and players are giving full respect to Nigeria. The approach is to make it a possession game. Hoping to playmake opportunities. Avoid catastrophic errors in the back.

We’re hoping we have enough individual class for somebody to step up. Modric? Mandzukic? Perisic? These are our magic players.

Then Nigeria has a shot. Nigeria can play two types of teams, possession teams and counterattacking teams (our favourite is the latter). I am not saying we beat them consistently, but we understand these two types of teams.

We went toe to toe with the World and European Champions Spain back then, until they made changes from the bench. We demystified their possession game.

The only form of football that Nigeria struggles entirely with is the compact game. We hate compact teams, we cannot stand them. Because it means we have to break teams down. Teams that retain possession still have to put numbers in the midfield, they still have weaknesses that can be exploited with pace. If those weaknesses are not apparent, you play a high pressure game, they make mistakes and you go from there! We have tried it successfully before.

We do not try to balance the scales or win back possession, we accept that we have lost the midfield, but stretch the match. Croatia is the most important match for us, in the sense that it is the opener and will set the tone, but I do feel (and not for the sake of being novel), that the Iceland game will be more difficult for us.

The result against Croatia will be close, I suspect it will be won by either side, with a 1 goal margin, at best a 2 goal margin.

I want to say 2-1 win for Nigeria. The Iceland game could be a draw for Nigeria 0-0 or 1-1. The Argentinian game BTW is one that we are foolishly ruling out (saying they will have qualified), Nigeria can REALISTICALLY beat Argentina. But I suppose the dynamic of that match is hard to state, due to the uncertainty of the importance of that match.

Some players that will need to be on their game to beat Croatia are Uzoho, Mikel, Moses, Iwobi, Balogun, the LB and Ebuehi. I single these out, because they may not be.

Ndidi, Troost and Etebo/Ogu will be on their game for sure. Ndidi will be significantly important, burning out those midfield fires. This could be the game that announces Ndidi to the whole world.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Tbite wrote:
mate wrote:The Croatian staff and players are giving full respect to Nigeria. The approach is to make it a possession game. Hoping to playmake opportunities. Avoid catastrophic errors in the back.

Then Nigeria has a shot. Nigeria can play two types of teams, possession teams and counterattacking teams (our favourite is the latter). I am not saying we beat them consistently, but we understand these two types of teams.

We went toe to toe with the World and European Champions Spain back then, until they made changes from the bench. We demystified their possession game.

The only form of football that Nigeria struggles entirely with is the compact game. We hate compact teams, we cannot stand them. Because it means we have to break teams down. Teams that retain possession still have to put numbers in the midfield, they still have weaknesses that can be exploited with pace. If those weaknesses are not apparent, you play a high pressure game, they make mistakes and you go from there! We have tried it successfully before.

We do not try to balance the scales or win back possession, we accept that we have lost the midfield, but stretch the match. Croatia is the most important match for us, in the sense that it is the opener and will set the tone, but I do feel (and not for the sake of being novel), that the Iceland game will be more difficult for us.

The result against Croatia will be close, I suspect it will be won by either side, with a 1 goal margin, at best a 2 goal margin.

I want to say 2-1 win for Nigeria. The Iceland game could be a draw for Nigeria 0-0 or 1-1. The Argentinian game BTW is one that we are foolishly ruling out (saying they will have qualified), Nigeria can REALISTICALLY beat Argentina. But I suppose the dynamic of that match is hard to state, due to the uncertainty of the importance of that match.

Some players that will need to be on their game to beat Croatia are Uzoho, Mikel, Moses, Iwobi, Balogun, the LB and Ebuehi. I single these out, because they may not be.

Ndidi, Troost and Etebo/Ogu will be on their game for sure. Ndidi will be significantly important, burning out those midfield fires. This could be the game that announces Ndidi to the whole world.
I have no doubt that Iceland will be our most unattractive game. We will look clueless often. The game will be a bore. And I’m terrified they’ll nick a goal and shut up shop and we’ll huff and puff. Like Iran in 2014 (the huffing and puffing bit; thankfully Iran never scored)

Indeed, everything you’ve said here I agree with.

The good news: I can see Iceland getting three draws. As important as our game is with Croatia, Iceland V Argentina will set the tone for this group: will Argentina be desperate for a win in their next game agains Croatia or will Iceland need to open up and fight against Nigeria.

Intriguing group.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Oga mate, how bodi? The highlighted is wise, and I hope that Naija coaches and players are doing the same re Croatia.

The "gun-mouthing" (boastfully shooting off mouth) on this site often makes me shake my head, but this is a fan site and that's what fans do.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

ohsee wrote:
zee wrote:
spastic wrote:

The fast kid who came in at Right back has some height on him. Maybe we start him.

Also we look way more comfortable in a 3 5 2. So I expect Omeruo on the Right side of the 3 watching Madzukic. Now this doesn't mean he won't abuse Omeruo. But at leasy it will be tougher work.

Unlike most here I haven't been too impressed with our play. But my brother is convinced we are simply hiding our true form until the World Cup proper. I'm not so sure, but I'm going with it :D

Anything to keep bodi shakes under control :thumbs:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

They have to match-up Mandzukic with Ighalo or Simy on free-kicks. We will have to play Ebuehi at RB and Ogu at CD. Not only for their height but also the comfort on the ball and bringing it out of the back.

After all is said and done it falls on the goalie. Organize his defenders, and be aggressive in his 6. Too bad he does not have the "wickedness" of Okala in the box.

Na to up Anti-hypertensive meds.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I have this strange feeling that the game wil not be that close. there willl be a clear winner by 2 or 3 goals. The score will be 3-1 or 4-2 in that range. What I don’t know is which team will win. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I have this strange feeling that the game wil not be that close. there willl be a clear winner by 2 or 3 goals. The score will be 3-1 or 4-2 in that range. What I don’t know is which team will win. :laugh:
When we tell you ifa may have eyes but it's as blind as a rock :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

pajimoh wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:I have this strange feeling that the game wil not be that close. there willl be a clear winner by 2 or 3 goals. The score will be 3-1 or 4-2 in that range. What I don’t know is which team will win. :laugh:
When we tell you ifa may have eyes but it's as blind as a rock :tic:
He sees u though.Would u like to sign up for the pre WC curse? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote:

Oga mate, how bodi? The highlighted is wise, and I hope that Naija coaches and players are doing the same re Croatia.

The "gun-mouthing" (boastfully shooting off mouth) on this site often makes me shake my head, but this is a fan site and that's what fans do.

I agree. Like you said, it comes down to the players on the pitch and their general tactical approach. A stupid coach can certainly tank things. Like at the last WC, Croatia in a hot sun decided to fully press Mexico.

We gassed out after 70 minutes. Then the fitter Mexicans went for the kill, winning 3 - 1. If we played counter-attack, we would have made it more a game of the individuals and team, not coach and tactics.

I believe this Croatian coach is smarter. He won't do anything tactically stupid. He'll let it come down to the players. I as a fan can't ask for more.

I'm at peace with one thing. If Croatia play to potential, I'm okay with winning or losing. But if they emotionally implode...which is alway possible with us...well, it will suck. I'll drown my sorrows with some vodka when I'm in Russia.

:)
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Tbite wrote:

A lot will come down to how Nigeria responds to Croatian possession. Ideally you want that early goal and force Croatia to press. But if this doesn't happen, chase judiciously and don't tire.

Remember, Brazil couldn't break Croatia with our full team in a late friendly. Scoring only after Neymar came on and we made some dubs. Not saying Nigeria cannot press effecyively, but that should offer some insight.

I still say our biggest flaw is lack of a reliable scorer. Mandzukic is older. There is no replacement.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Wow! Croatia really has a master plan. They will keep the ball and based on the type of nut we feel like selling in Russia we will then present it to them while the cameras flash. We have groundnut, coconut and kolanut to sell in Russia. :roll: :roll:

Geraraaaa hia mein! :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote:

They have to match-up Mandzukic with Ighalo or Simy on free-kicks. We will have to play Ebuehi at RB and Ogu at CD. Not only for their height but also the comfort on the ball and bringing it out of the back.

After all is said and done it falls on the goalie. Organize his defenders, and be aggressive in his 6. Too bad he does not have the "wickedness" of Okala in the box.

Na to up Anti-hypertensive meds.
Ogbuefi, Ighalo is listed at 5:11, while Mario is 6:3--that na mismatch in basketball, and in footie where you have a great header of the ball like Mario, it would be suicidal. Ebuehi is a better choice at 6:2, though I don't know anything about his leaping, heading, timing and judgement of the flight of the ball. As for Simy, he is still very much an unknown. Let us hope and pray the the real Eagus show up 7 days from now. Anybody get fever merecine? My bodi dey shake o.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

yes
they struggled indeed

5 games sweet o
DNA no good o

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming