2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pens
Egg
Egg
2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice

Post by pens »

2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, older playersPublished on June 8, 2018 By John Owen Nwachukwu

Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr has revealed that he will announce his first-choice goalkeeper for the 2018 World Cup next week.

The Franco-German gaffer also explained why he resisted the temptation to invite experienced players to the team ahead of the tournament.

The youngest player named to the World Cup roster, Francis Uzoho, has been used by Rohr in all the warm up matches played ahead of the tournament and is expected to be in goal against Croatia on June 16, barring a last-minute injury.

Rohr told Spanish news outlet, the Marca, ”We have been working hard in that position for a year. We had bad luck with the illness of Carl Ikeme [suffers from leukemia], but we have three good goalkeepers. The decision of who will be first choice will be taken the last week.

”We must respect what those (older) players have done for the country and let them enjoy it. The plan is to prepare the team for the future.

”Nigeria has not played two African Nations Cups. It is important that the atmosphere of the team is calm, without problems, disputes or egos. Once a good environment has been created we need to continue along that same line. ”

DON'T MISS: Get Latest Hot News - Download DailyPost Android app

With an average age of 25.9 years, the Super Eagles have the youngest team at the 2018 World Cup.
http://dailypost.ng/2018/06/08/2018-wor ... r-players/
Remember the three Rs: Respect for your self; Respect for others; Responsibility for all your actions.
soccernut
Egg
Egg
Re: 2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice

Post by soccernut »

I'm sorry this man talks a lot of garbage. Why qualify for the World Cup and then start saying we are building a team for the future? I heard the same thing in 2014. This is utter crap. We heard the same story in 2002 from Onigbinde and we didn’t qualify for 2006. I’m saying it here that all those who think Nigeria has the young staple of talent to set the world on fire in 2022 - are daydreaming. Come 2022 - and you will find out that most of these same young players are average at best or past their prime. The talent was there and available to make QF or even SF, but the man didn't do his homework and became complacent after the easy WC qualification. He has never had experience on the world stage -- and its shows! Rohr is just trying to save face.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I don’t know why he keep screaming that we’re building a team for the future knowing that Nigerian players are inconsistent and many be substandard four years from now
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

soccernut wrote:I'm sorry this man talks a lot of garbage. Why qualify for the World Cup and then start saying we are building a team for the future? I heard the same thing in 2014. This is utter crap. We heard the same story in 2002 from Onigbinde and we didn’t qualify for 2006. I’m saying it here that all those who think Nigeria has the young staple of talent to set the world on fire in 2022 - are daydreaming. Come 2022 - and you will find out that most of these same young players are average at best or past their prime. The talent was there and available to make QF or even SF, but the man didn't do his homework and became complacent after the easy WC qualification. He has never had experience on the world stage -- and its shows! Rohr is just trying to save face.

He qualified for the world cup with his team for the future... whats the confusion?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:I don’t know why he keep screaming that we’re building a team for the future knowing that Nigerian players are inconsistent and many be substandard four years from now

Did he say he will stick with these players four years from now regardless of form?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

john12 wrote:I don’t know why he keep screaming that we’re building a team for the future knowing that Nigerian players are inconsistent and many be substandard four years from now
NOw you talking.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Was he employed to build a team for the future? Which kind recaliberation of expectation be dat wan?

Sounds Sisi Bettyish
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Anybody who plans on building anything will always have problems with Nigerians. We’re just not used to a structured process designed to accomplish goals in the long term.

The man inherits a rubbish team that couldn’t even qualify for Afcon and starts rebuilding, retooling and calibrating the team immediately. In the process he qualifies for the wc with ease. Now people are complaining that he’s always building for the future. . Why qualify they ask. They wonder why he can’t just win it now. Unfortunately, this is the mentality that leads to no power, water or food after 60yrs of trying. A poor mentality!
Last edited by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Anybody who plans on building anything will always have problems with Nigerians. We’re just not used to a structured process designed to accomplish goals in the term.

The man inherits a rubbish team that couldn’t even qualify for Afcon and starts rebuilding, retooling and calibrating the team immediately. In the process he qualifies for the wc with ease. Now people are complaining that he’s always buildings for the wc. Why qualify they ask. They wonder why he can’t just win it now. Unfortunately, this is the mentality that leads to no power, water or food after 60yrs of trying. A poor mentality!
Preach my brother. It is what it is with us Nigerians and frankly it is a damn shame. That is if you ask me...smh
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Anybody who plans on building anything will always have problems with Nigerians. We’re just not used to a structured process designed to accomplish goals in the long term.

The man inherits a rubbish team that couldn’t even qualify for Afcon and starts rebuilding, retooling and calibrating the team immediately. In the process he qualifies for the wc with ease. Now people are complaining that he’s always building for the future. . Why qualify they ask. They wonder why he can’t just win it now. Unfortunately, this is the mentality that leads to no power, water or food after 60yrs of trying. A poor mentality!
Am there lies our weakness....Nigerians

U can’t qualify for ANC, u have won noting....ur the lowest ranked team still, they except success NOW

Why we get into mugu 419 business, drugs..other crimes....

We don’t want to build progressively.....we want it now.

There is a difference between progressive building and rebuilding at every opportunity u get.

Even Dangote is still building on the success he achieved using the strong base he created yrs ago, that’s what SE should do.....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

We have heard this story before. The problem with Nigeria as a society is that outside its shores, her citizens strive for excellence but when it comes to the country - celebration of mediocrity is the norm. We have been winning Under-17 WC since 1985, and I believe we have won it on 5 occasions and currently hold the record ahead of Brazil (3 titles). So were we not building for the future all along? Besides, look at some of the best players in the world today - How old is Mbappe? How old is Sterling? How old is Diembele? Rohr has had the team for three years - that is more than enough time to build a solid world cup team with the amount of talent coming out of our youth tournaments over the past 20 years especially when you add some local talent. Oliseh was playing "area" football when he was recruited in 1993 just before the world cup. He was urged to go try out, so he walked into the camp at the National Stadium and asked if he could train with the team, the rest is history. All I’m saying is you can’t keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. I recall the commentator in 2002 and 2014 saying that Nigeria was one of the youngest teams, and that these players would be ready the next world cup and so on… So, from that team of 2014, we had players like Onazi who was 21. Where is the performance now at the age of 25? Bogpa is 25 too. What about Musa who was also 21 and on fire against Argentina? At 25, where is the peak performance now?
Please some of our folks should stop yarning opaks and call a spade a spade; it doesn’t make anyone less patriotic. Trying to defend the indefensible has become a favorite pastime for some of our people. Rohr simply did not do his homework well. If not, why take players like Onazi and Obi only to drop them from the first eleven after three matches due to lackluster performance. So, he didn’t see the same thing that others saw in the first two friendlies in April or we don’t have other players that can replace Onazi? So, even if we don’t have one DM playing regular first division football in Europe, we can’t find one at home? Yet, a couple of weeks ago an unknown local striker was turning an Athletico defender in and out in the box as though he were doing Atilogu dance, before scoring a sensational goal. Please let us elevate the conversation and stop this codswallop! We know things might be too late to make player adjustments but folks should not be trying to justify team selection by suggesting our players are really being groomed for the future – that is just a lame argument if I ever heard one!
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

soccernut wrote:We have heard this story before. The problem with Nigeria as a society is that outside its shores, her citizens strive for excellence but when it comes to the country - celebration of mediocrity is the norm. We have been winning Under-17 WC since 1985, and I believe we have won it on 5 occasions and currently hold the record ahead of Brazil (3 titles). So were we not building for the future all along? Besides, look at some of the best players in the world today - How old is Mbappe? How old is Sterling? How old is Diembele? Rohr has had the team for three years - that is more than enough time to build a solid world cup team with the amount of talent coming out of our youth tournaments over the past 20 years especially when you add some local talent. Oliseh was playing "area" football when he was recruited in 1993 just before the world cup. He was urged to go try out, so he walked into the camp at the National Stadium and asked if he could train with the team, the rest is history. All I’m saying is you can’t keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. I recall the commentator in 2002 and 2014 saying that Nigeria was one of the youngest teams, and that these players would be ready the next world cup and so on… So, from that team of 2014, we had players like Onazi who was 21. Where is the performance now at the age of 25? Bogpa is 25 too. What about Musa who was also 21 and on fire against Argentina? At 25, where is the peak performance now?
Please some of our folks should stop yarning opaks and call a spade a spade; it doesn’t make anyone less patriotic. Trying to defend the indefensible has become a favorite pastime for some of our people. Rohr simply did not do his homework well. If not, why take players like Onazi and Obi only to drop them from the first eleven after three matches due to lackluster performance. So, he didn’t see the same thing that others saw in the first two friendlies in April or we don’t have other players that can replace Onazi? So, even if we don’t have one DM playing regular first division football in Europe, we can’t find one at home? Yet, a couple of weeks ago an unknown local striker was turning an Athletico defender in and out in the box as though he were doing Atilogu dance, before scoring a sensational goal. Please let us elevate the conversation and stop this codswallop! We know it's too late to make player adjustments but folks should not be trying to justify our WC team selection - by suggesting or stating that our team is being groomed for the future – that is just a lame argument if I ever heard one!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

So the highlighted are the reasons people are up in arms about "building for the future" ? If only they taught reading comprehension in Nigerian schools
pens wrote:2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, older playersPublished on June 8, 2018 By John Owen Nwachukwu

Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr has revealed that he will announce his first-choice goalkeeper for the 2018 World Cup next week.

The Franco-German gaffer also explained why he resisted the temptation to invite experienced players to the team ahead of the tournament.

The youngest player named to the World Cup roster, Francis Uzoho, has been used by Rohr in all the warm up matches played ahead of the tournament and is expected to be in goal against Croatia on June 16, barring a last-minute injury.

Rohr told Spanish news outlet, the Marca, ”We have been working hard in that position for a year. We had bad luck with the illness of Carl Ikeme [suffers from leukemia], but we have three good goalkeepers. The decision of who will be first choice will be taken the last week.

”We must respect what those (older) players have done for the country and let them enjoy it. The plan is to prepare the team for the future.

”Nigeria has not played two African Nations Cups. It is important that the atmosphere of the team is calm, without problems, disputes or egos. Once a good environment has been created we need to continue along that same line. ”

With an average age of 25.9 years, the Super Eagles have the youngest team at the 2018 World Cup.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

If they taught comprehension, Nigeria would not be as bad as it is now in many regards.
nanijoe wrote:So the highlighted are the reasons people are up in arms about "building for the future" ? If only they taught reading comprehension in Nigerian schools
pens wrote:2018 World Cup: Rohr speaks on Super Eagles first choice goalkeeper, older playersPublished on June 8, 2018 By John Owen Nwachukwu

AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
COOKING SPOON
Egg
Egg

Post by COOKING SPOON »

soccernut wrote:We have heard this story before. The problem with Nigeria as a society is that outside its shores, her citizens strive for excellence but when it comes to the country - celebration of mediocrity is the norm. We have been winning Under-17 WC since 1985, and I believe we have won it on 5 occasions and currently hold the record ahead of Brazil (3 titles). So were we not building for the future all along? Besides, look at some of the best players in the world today - How old is Mbappe? How old is Sterling? How old is Diembele? Rohr has had the team for three years - that is more than enough time to build a solid world cup team with the amount of talent coming out of our youth tournaments over the past 20 years especially when you add some local talent. Oliseh was playing "area" football when he was recruited in 1993 just before the world cup. He was urged to go try out, so he walked into the camp at the National Stadium and asked if he could train with the team, the rest is history. All I’m saying is you can’t keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. I recall the commentator in 2002 and 2014 saying that Nigeria was one of the youngest teams, and that these players would be ready the next world cup and so on… So, from that team of 2014, we had players like Onazi who was 21. Where is the performance now at the age of 25? Bogpa is 25 too. What about Musa who was also 21 and on fire against Argentina? At 25, where is the peak performance now?
Please some of our folks should stop yarning opaks and call a spade a spade; it doesn’t make anyone less patriotic. Trying to defend the indefensible has become a favorite pastime for some of our people. Rohr simply did not do his homework well. If not, why take players like Onazi and Obi only to drop them from the first eleven after three matches due to lackluster performance. So, he didn’t see the same thing that others saw in the first two friendlies in April or we don’t have other players that can replace Onazi? So, even if we don’t have one DM playing regular first division football in Europe, we can’t find one at home? Yet, a couple of weeks ago an unknown local striker was turning an Athletico defender in and out in the box as though he were doing Atilogu dance, before scoring a sensational goal. Please let us elevate the conversation and stop this codswallop! We know things might be too late to make player adjustments but folks should not be trying to justify team selection by suggesting our players are really being groomed for the future – that is just a lame argument if I ever heard one!

I hardly comment these days, but your post really riled me up. First of all your comment on Oliseh supposedly paying area football in 1993 and walking into the Eagles camp uninvited is nothing but pure hogwash.

Oliseh moved from Julius Berger to Liege in 1990 and earned his first cap after two years of first team football in the Belgian top division. That's hardly area football is it?

Our coach inherited a team that was terrible and totally demotivated and qualified that team for the world cup. What more can you ask for? Just because some player of ours performed well in one match against Atletico Madrid, you think he is ready for the world cup? Plus Nwakali is hardly the unknown and local player you described him as. He is an Arsenal player and has spent the years on loan in the Dutch first division and he is a seasoned junior international footballer.

Can you remember a certain striker that almost scored with a bicycle kick in 2002 and flopped on the big occasion? How many supposedly great players of ours flattered to deceive over the years? Olumide Harris, Manga Mohammed, Emeka Efejiagwa, Edward Anyamkegh, Pius Ikedia to name a few.

Let's face it, you don't know better than the coach. This is a man that coached a team to a European final. Just celebrate his achievement and enjoy the competition. Plus, he is building for the future and I'm impressed, we have a talented young keeper in Germany that's committed to us, there's Bazee as well, plus Ola Aina is ours. These are young boys with verifiable ages, so yes the future is bright.

Appreciate what the man has achieved please and stop peddling untruths simply because you feel that said rumours help you price your point.
They seek him here.
They seek him there.
Moderators seek him everywhere.
They seek him at night
And even at noon
That damn elusive cooking spoon
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

COOKING SPOON wrote:

I hardly comment these days, but your post really riled me up. First of all your comment on Oliseh supposedly paying area football in 1993 and walking into the Eagles camp uninvited is nothing but pure hogwash.

Oliseh moved from Julius Berger to Liege in 1990 and earned his first cap after two years of first team football in the Belgian top division. That's hardly area football is it?

Our coach inherited a team that was terrible and totally demotivated and qualified that team for the world cup. What more can you ask for? Just because some player of ours performed well in one match against Atletico Madrid, you think he is ready for the world cup? Plus Nwakali is hardly the unknown and local player you described him as. He is an Arsenal player and has spent the years on loan in the Dutch first division and he is a seasoned junior international footballer.

Can you remember a certain striker that almost scored with a bicycle kick in 2002 and flopped on the big occasion? How many supposedly great players of ours flattered to deceive over the years? Olumide Harris, Manga Mohammed, Emeka Efejiagwa, Edward Anyamkegh, Pius Ikedia to name a few.

Let's face it, you don't know better than the coach. This is a man that coached a team to a European final. Just celebrate his achievement and enjoy the competition. Plus, he is building for the future and I'm impressed, we have a talented young keeper in Germany that's committed to us, there's Bazee as well, plus Ola Aina is ours. These are young boys with verifiable ages, so yes the future is bright.

Appreciate what the man has achieved please and stop peddling untruths simply because you feel that said rumours help you price your point.
KPOM, nothing much to add. Oliseh was playing For FC Liege in Belgium along with Alloy Agu and Victor Ikpeba when he was invited to the SE. I still remember Complete Football's Mumuni Alao's write up " Westerhoff, this is your destroyer" in reference to Oliseh after watching him play in the Belgian league. To say Oliseh was playing area football shows how misinformed the writer is and totally discredits all his comments.
I am happy
COOKING SPOON
Egg
Egg

Post by COOKING SPOON »

Dammy wrote:
COOKING SPOON wrote:

KPOM, nothing much to add. Oliseh was playing For FC Liege in Belgium along with Alloy Agu and Victor Ikpeba when he was invited to the SE. I still remember Complete Football's Mumuni Alao's write up " Westerhoff, this is your destroyer" in reference to Oliseh after watching him play in the Belgian league. To say Oliseh was playing area football shows how misinformed the writer is and totally discredits all his comments.
To make matters worse, he called Nwakali a local and Unknown striker....

Says a lot doesn't it?
They seek him here.
They seek him there.
Moderators seek him everywhere.
They seek him at night
And even at noon
That damn elusive cooking spoon
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Anybody who plans on building anything will always have problems with Nigerians. We’re just not used to a structured process designed to accomplish goals in the long term.

Bros, your points are very well put; therefore, I agree :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

soccernut wrote:I'm sorry this man talks a lot of garbage. Why qualify for the World Cup and then start saying we are building a team for the future? I heard the same thing in 2014. This is utter crap. We heard the same story in 2002 from Onigbinde and we didn’t qualify for 2006. I’m saying it here that all those who think Nigeria has the young staple of talent to set the world on fire in 2022 - are daydreaming. Come 2022 - and you will find out that most of these same young players are average at best or past their prime. The talent was there and available to make QF or even SF, but the man didn't do his homework and became complacent after the easy WC qualification. He has never had experience on the world stage -- and its shows! Rohr is just trying to save face.

EXACTLY,

He ignored onyekuru, k. Nwakali, s.umar, Bonaventure, Kalu, Lokosa, Ajayi and others who could have made an impact in the squad, just to protect the likes of Musa. There are some positions the SE lack quality but the SE are blessed with creative attacking players and Rohr ignored them all. And Stevie wonder can see that Ebuehi is better than shehu but Rohr is still making excuses for shehu. Rohr should be fired if he fails to qualify from the group.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Kpom raised to power 10!

The guy has built for today by raising a team that has qualified for the WC out of the ashes and at the same time is building a team for the future.... Already the likes of Onyekuru, Aina, Bazee, Eze, Nwakali are already in the framework to build on today's success.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

9jaMan wrote:

EXACTLY,

He ignored onyekuru, k. Nwakali, s.umar, Bonaventure, Kalu, Lokosa, Ajayi and others who could have made an impact in the squad, just to protect the likes of Musa. There are some positions the SE lack quality but the SE are blessed with creative attacking players and Rohr ignored them all. And Stevie wonder can see that Ebuehi is better than shehu but Rohr is still making excuses for shehu. Rohr should be fired if he fails to qualify from the group.
Ignored Onyekuru??? How many times has he donned the GWG and how many times did he show up??

Nwakali?? This is the frigging World Cup not the U-20 WC. The boy is a rookie, I beg his time will come there is life after the WC.

Lokosa?? Seriously who are you planning to drop for him.. it was a toss up between him and Simmy and with the arial dimension Simmy adds it was a no brainer.

Musa is a squad player, who will only be brought on for one things, to add pace to get behind the lines. He will probably play the last 20 mins against Croatia... He is simply on the team for tactical reasons, deal with it.

Ebuehi...?? Wasn't it Rohr who fished him out...He has simply allowed him time and space to grow in the team. He will file out against Croatia and Argentina.

Rohr should be fired if he doesn't make it out of the group?? Short termism at its best... I guess that should apply to all the 16 coaches that drop out in the first round too
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Mr Shows wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

EXACTLY,

Ignored Onyekuru??? How many times has he donned the GWG and how many times did he show up??

Nwakali?? This is the frigging World Cup not the U-20 WC. The boy is a rookie, I beg his time will come there is life after the WC.

Lokosa?? Seriously who are you planning to drop for him.. it was a toss up between him and Simmy and with the arial dimension Simmy adds it was a no brainer.

Musa is a squad player, who will only be brought on for one things, to add pace to get behind the lines. He will probably play the last 20 mins against Croatia... He is simply on the team for tactical reasons, deal with it.

Ebuehi...?? Wasn't it Rohr who fished him out...He has simply allowed him time and space to grow in the team. He will file out against Croatia and Argentina.

Rohr should be fired if he doesn't make it out of the group?? Short termism at its best... I guess that should apply to all the 16 coaches that drop out in the first round too

Onyekuru should have started against Argentina, but he was invited and ignored and never allowed enough time to show his quality. Onyekuru at the time was the hottest player in Belgium. how many times has Musa showed up in the last four years? Based on performance from one game Lokosa deserves to go to the WC ahead of Musa. K.Nwakali scored a wonder goal against A. Madrid, not their under 20 team, please wake up. Football is not about age, how old is Ozoho? Ebuehi should have never been on the bench, he is the best RB the SE have and you are talking about growing? Rohr should be fired because he is slow to make the needed change, and he did not seek to include the better options that could have made the SE way better. Onyekuru and K. Nwakali should be in the top 23.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

WHen exactly did you and Rohr have the discussion about who is in his starting eleven? Some of you people just stop by at Fela's shrine and imbibe in goof before you come and spout ABSOLUTE RUBBISH on this site.