VAR fairness at the WC

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR fairness at the WC

Post by Odas »

From all the postings and based on some of the RULES posted (here) by Yujam, it still boils down to the referee making the calls and deciding when to use VAR. Thus, I am still concerned - a little - to say the least.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Odas wrote:From all the postings and based on some of the RULES posted (here) by Yujam, it still boils down to the referee making the calls and deciding when to use VAR. Thus, I am still concerned - a little - to say the least.
Hence my “human element” comment earlier.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

VAR still failed, IMHO.

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

osita wrote:
tfco wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:

This incident was worse, and Nigeria foul was called immediately. Oyibo will always cheat, just hope the NFF has started planning to use to there advantage the VAR Incase they smell foul play.

Argentina is also planning three foul plays
This was my worries going into the WC.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

^^^^^

That foul only applies to Nigeria players.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

I called it. This nonsense is CRAP.

Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

elerineye wrote:I called it. This nonsense is CRAP.
it works very well
we need it in African football
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Unfortunately VAR is going to be used most times when a Ref makes a huge call for small teams. I don't think VAR is going to make calls any better for small teams. It has the potential to exacerbate bias
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

wazobia wrote:Unfortunately VAR is going to be used most times when a Ref makes a huge call for small teams. I don't think VAR is going to make calls any better for small teams. It has the potential to exacerbate bias
My concerns goes to the very point you made here. There’s the semblance of coming across as fair, but it’s all a smokescreen. I hope we don’t get cheated tomorrow.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Odas wrote:From all the postings and based on some of the RULES posted (here) by Yujam, it still boils down to the referee making the calls and deciding when to use VAR. Thus, I am still concerned - a little - to say the least.
Again, that is NOT correct.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

I'm reposting this from the Iran v Portugal game thread:

----

Just to be fair guys, I just watched the penalty against Portugal on DVR. I cannot believe VAR said this was a penalty. No way in hell was that unnatural and happened so fast.

See. It can work for a smaller team against a bigger team. Sometimes.

And on top of it, if Iran scored on their late minute chance, they'd have won the group. In the end, all in all, Iran blew it, not officiating.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

This is building up to a wailing festival tomorrow.

Hopefully we win regardless....

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote:

I think he is right. It's when to use it.

And even when it is used, the call can be wrong...as I just posted about Iran getting that penalty call against Portugal...showing it can work against a bigger team too.

Again, from what I see, it's been used in favor of big teams...Sweden and Serbia stand out as the biggest examples. VAR, and I don't know the rules on when to use it, might have cleared up their situations. Both were denied crystal clear penalties, while funny enough, VAR was invoked and gave Iran penalty where I think there wasn't one.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

mate wrote:
txj wrote:

And even when it is used, the call can be wrong...as I just posted about Iran getting that penalty call against Portugal...showing it can work against a bigger team too.

Again, from what I see, it's been used in favor of big teams...Sweden and Serbia stand out as the biggest examples. VAR, and I don't know the rules on when to use it, might have cleared up their situations. Both were denied crystal clear penalties, while funny enough, VAR was invoked and gave Iran penalty where I think there wasn't one.

No sir.

The VAR calls the ref's attention in the event of a serious incident that warrants further review.

Ultimately, its the ref who makes the final decision, following the review.

elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

mate wrote:
txj wrote:

Hence I alluded to the human element earlier. So what exactly is the point of introducing this system?

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

elerineye wrote:
mate wrote:
txj wrote:

Hence I alluded to the human element earlier. So what exactly is the point of introducing this system?

Reducing (as opposed to eliminating, which is impossible) human error.

elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

txj wrote:
mate wrote:
txj wrote:

No sir.

The VAR calls the ref's attention in the event of a serious incident that warrants further review.

This is true only if the ref missed it. He can also on his own request for the assistance of the VAR.

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

txj wrote:
elerineye wrote:
mate wrote:
txj wrote:

Reducing (as opposed to eliminating, which is impossible) human error.
Well, the referee then made an error. Even with VAR. What was he seeing on that phantom penalty call against Portugal?

That was 100% an accident. Where the spirit of the law easily overrules even the strictest letter of the law.

Imperfection for sure.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

elerineye wrote:
txj wrote:
mate wrote:
txj wrote:

No sir.

This is true only if the ref missed it. He can also on his own request for the assistance of the VAR.
The VAR is not there to replace, but to assist the ref.

galoise
Egg
Egg

Post by galoise »

The thing is only fair to some nations... Morocco got f****ed against Portugal and today against Spain by the VAR: Maybe I just dont fully understand how it works-why are refs so quick to refer to VAR on some calls and yet on some other questionnable calls, they are quick to waive it off?

I am now worried for Niegria, not because of Argentina’s quality, but more so because of this VAR thing!
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

txj wrote:
elerineye wrote:
txj wrote:
mate wrote:
txj wrote:

No sir.

The VAR is not there to replace, but to assist the ref.
I believe we both agree on this.

elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

galoise wrote:The thing is only fair to some nations... Morocco got f****ed against Portugal and today against Spain by the VAR: Maybe I just dont fully understand how it works-why are refs so quick to refer to VAR on some calls and yet on some other questionnable calls, they are quick to waive it off?

I am now worried for Niegria, not because of Argentina’s quality, but more so because of this VAR thing!
Bros, there’s nothing to understand, it’s a scam.