10 reasons why I have utmost faith in Odion Ighalo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: 10 reasons why I have utmost faith in Odion Ighalo

Post by Robbynice »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:(1) I for one am not bothered by all this fickleness whereby people are calling for Odion Ighalo to be dropped. It just shows how shallow CE forumers are. The fact remains that he is our greatest goal scoring threat going into the World Cup

(2) Very few strikers can hold the ball up like Ighalo

(3) He has not been scoring lately but that is not his fault. He has been denied service by a poor midfield. Give him service and watch him thrive

(4) Against England, the one time Iwobi fed him, he beat his man and hit the post, allowing Iwobi to score

(5) Against the Czech Republic, he was probably our best player. He even did an “Iggy Scoop” once. His problem in that game was Victor Moses. Look at how many goals he laid on a platter for the Chelsea man that day

(6) Nobody wins as many headers as Ighalo. He is a real handful for centre backs

(7) If we can get Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi firing on midfield and providing service, Ighalo will score goals

(8) Ighalo also scores a lot of headers and tap ins from crosses. We need Tyrone Ebuehi to be whipping them in from the right and the left footed Joel Obi to be whipping them in from the left. Do this and watch Ighalo excel

(9) There is currently no Nigerian striker out there who can bring team mates into play like Ighalo. His lay-offs are brilliant and I can see him creating goals a lot come the World Cup

(10) Ighalo is one player who gives everything to the team. He runs, runs, runs and runs.
I see say you never give up on Joel Obi playing from the left... :D With that said, I agree with you 100% on this. :thumbs:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Watch Igalo light up the World Cup. I remember Alan Shearer going on a goal drought prior to Euro 96 and he ended up being the tournament’s top scorer. Ighalo will do likewise in Russia, mark my words!
Unfortunately, your optimism isn’t founded on any tangible stats, results or observations. Btw, was Ighalo also starved of good service by an inept midfield in his final season at Everton :?: :!:

Cheers.

Odion Ighalo never played for Everton!
My bad, Watford... but don’t avoid the question, you cheap shot artist :rotf: ❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:Watch Igalo light up the World Cup. I remember Alan Shearer going on a goal drought prior to Euro 96 and he ended up being the tournament’s top scorer. Ighalo will do likewise in Russia, mark my words!
Unfortunately, your optimism isn’t founded on any tangible stats, results or observations. Btw, was Ighalo also starved of good service by an inept midfield in his final season at Everton :?: :!:

Cheers.

Odion Ighalo never played for Everton!
My bad, Watford... but don’t avoid the question, you cheap shot artist❗️

Cheers.
Name me one targetman we have who is better than Odion Ighalo.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

You didn’t answer the question but it’s OK because I already know you don’t have a credible answer. Now, I’ll answer yours:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Now you tell me who’s better? Having said all that, Odion Ighalo was quite productive at some point in his career but somewhere along the line, he lost his scoring touch and still hasn’t found it. We can’t go to the Mundial on hope and a prayer. Odion should, at best, be Kelechi’s backup at least until he finds his touch again; if he ever does :!:

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
cic old boy wrote:(11) Handshake?
Never shaken his hand yet. I will do after he does us proud in Russia.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good question and good response as well. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Now, let the World cup begin.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

cic old boy wrote:(11) Handshake?
(12) Ayo got no choice
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ighalo is still our best option at the CF position.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You didn’t answer the question but it’s OK because I already know you don’t have a credible answer. Now, I’ll answer yours:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Now you tell me who’s better? Having said all that, Odion Ighalo was quite productive at some point in his career but somewhere along the line, he lost his scoring touch and still hasn’t found it. We can’t go to the Mundial on hope and a prayer. Odion should, at best, be Kelechi’s backup at least until he finds his touch again; if he ever does :!:

Cheers.
Iheanacho is not strong enough to play targetman. He will get pushed off the bank by defenders. Anyone who saw the Cameroon game will appreciate what I am saying. Only a naive nitwit of a coach will play a lightweight like Iheanacho as his targetman at the World Cup!
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Ighalo's problem is he has been starved off service in about half of the games he has played for the SE. Even the likes of Lewandowski, Suarez, and Kane will struggle when they get little service.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

naijaguy wrote:I support Ayo 100% on this one.
+1
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:You didn’t answer the question but it’s OK because I already know you don’t have a credible answer. Now, I’ll answer yours:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Cheers.
Iheanacho is not strong enough to play targetman. He will get pushed off the bank by defenders. Anyone who saw the Cameroon game will appreciate what I am saying. Only a naive nitwit of a coach will play a lightweight like Iheanacho as his targetman at the World Cup!
Pellegrini, Pep, Puel?

How does a lightweight keep scoring goals while a heavyweight like Ighalo struggle?
Last edited by Synopsis on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Cheers.
Pellegrini, Pep, Puel?

How does a lightweight keep scoring goals while a heavyweight like Ighalo struggles?
Don’t expect people, especially those with a vested interest in particular players to be logical on CE :!:

Cheers.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Comparing Ighalo to Alan.....lol
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Cheers.
Pellegrini, Pep, Puel?

How does a lightweight keep scoring goals while a heavyweight like Ighalo struggle?
Patience is a virtue one must muster as one gets older. Flying off the handle at every provocative comment will just make one die of hypertension. It is downright dishonest to claim any of those coaches played Iheanacho as a targetman.

At best it is naive. Iheanacho always plays out wide behind a targetman like Aguero, Jesus, Vardie, etc.

I have promised never to insult anyone here again ni matter how ignorant their comments are but some of you guys tax one to the limit. Kelechi Iheanacho never has and never will be a targetman. If Rohr decides to drop Odion Ighalo, the role will go to Simeon Nwankwo!

Can some of you please take a little time to study the players before coming here to spew your annoying views. Calling Iheanacho a targetman is like calling Ekong a fullback!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Cheers.
Pellegrini, Pep, Puel?

Patience is a virtue one must muster as one gets older. Flying off the handle at every provocative comment will just make one die of hypertension. It is downright dishonest to claim any of those coaches played Iheanacho as a targetman.

At best it is naive. Iheanacho always plays out wide behind a targetman like Aguero, Jesus, Vardie, etc.

I have promised never to insult anyone here again ni matter how ignorant their comments are but some of you guys tax one to the limit. Kelechi Iheanacho never has and never will be a targetman. If Rohr decides to drop Odion Ighalo, the role will go to Simeon Nwankwo!

Can some of you please take a little time to study the players before coming here to spew your annoying views. Calling Iheanacho a targetman is like calling Ekong a fullback!
Kelechi has played many matches as the lone targetman and he has succeeded. You are showing your ignorance once again.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:

Nigeria Appearances:

Onion Ighalo
Since 2015
19 appearances
4 goals

Kelechi Ihenacho
Since 2015
18 appearances
8 goals

Cheers.
Pellegrini, Pep, Puel?

Kelechi has played many matches as the lone targetman and he has succeeded. You are showing your ignorance once again.
Whenever Kelechi plays that role, he is a disaster because the balk dies not stick and we keep losing possession. That is how we lost 0-2 at home to South Africa. Only a football illiterate will even suggest he be tried there.

I have no problems with people objecting to Ighalo but in that case suggest another targetman like Nwankwo, Ideye, Kayode or Osimhen. Calling for Iheanacho to play there is just stark ignorance!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

We lost to South aafrica because he didn’t receive any service from Etebo and company. We couldn’t string more than 2 passes together.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:We lost to South aafrica because he didn’t receive any service from Etebo and company. We couldn’t string more than 2 passes together.

That is what has been happening to Ighalo. It is our midfield that needs sorting out. There is nothing wrong with our targetman if he gets the service. What you are suggesting is jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Odion Ighalo stands heads and shoulders above any targetman we have at the moment but alas, you want to destroy the team by suggesting we play a targetman who cannot hold the ball up. Anyway, this is Naija where we always panic and end up making a bad situation worse.

Please do me a favour and never ever suggest we use Iheanacho as a targetman again. It is totally unacceptable!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:We lost to South aafrica because he didn’t receive any service from Etebo and company. We couldn’t string more than 2 passes together.

That is what has been happening to Ighalo. It is our midfield that needs sorting out. There is nothing wrong with our targetman if he gets the service. What you are suggesting is jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Odion Ighalo stands heads and shoulders above any targetman we have at the moment but alas, you want to destroy the team by suggesting we play a targetman who cannot hold the ball up. Anyway, this is Naija where we always panic and end up making a bad situation worse.

Please do me a favour and never ever suggest we use Iheanacho as a targetman again. It is totally unacceptable!
You'e not a spider so stop spinning a web of deceit. Yes the midfield should and must do better but Ighalo is not a prolific striker. With all our MF woes, others still score goals, why not Ighalo. Look at his record at all his previous clubs, only his purple patch at Watford speaks from him.

He's a "Jekyll and Hyde" striker. He flatters to deceive. He can score 4 goals in 2 games and then disappear for 2 years. Not a striker worthy of putting your money on
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I don’t get the fascination with these target man nonsense. Your job as a striker is to score goals and kelechi has shown that he is more than capable enough of scoring goals when played as a top 9. You don’t have to be the best at hiding the ball in order to score goals and as long an you can score or create chances then you’re good
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

john12 wrote:I don’t get the fascination with these target man nonsense. Your job as a striker is to score goals and kelechi has shown that he is more than capable enough of scoring goals when played as a top 9. You don’t have to be the best at hiding the ball in order to score goals and as long an you can score or create chances then you’re good

That's because your knowledge of football is limited. If you cannot keep the ball, you cannot create chances to score!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
john12 wrote:I don’t get the fascination with these target man nonsense. Your job as a striker is to score goals and kelechi has shown that he is more than capable enough of scoring goals when played as a top 9. You don’t have to be the best at hiding the ball in order to score goals and as long an you can score or create chances then you’re good

That's because your knowledge of football is limited. If you cannot keep the ball, you cannot create chances to score!
How do you explain the fact that Nacho has more goals than Ighalo? Logic really has never been your strong suit :!:

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I love Ighalo's work ethic and attitude but he doesn't score enough period.