Stoke City sign Etebo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Stoke City sign Etebo

Post by Cellular »

SylverEagles wrote:Congratulations to Etebo as I am sure he's getting what he wanted at least. However, I personally don;t like the move as I believe he is better than the English Championship. Not only that, Stoke? Really? I'm not sure what type of football will be played there and if it suits him.

With all that said, if he plays very well one of two things will happen - he gets snapped up by a better, bigger team in the upper divisions or he brings Stoke up. So all he has to do is play to his best ability. Great players don't stay long in lower divisions even if they start from there.
One really have to ask who advises these guys?

Do the players have a say regarding where they go? :???:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
SylverEagles wrote:Congratulations to Etebo as I am sure he's getting what he wanted at least. However, I personally don;t like the move as I believe he is better than the English Championship. Not only that, Stoke? Really? I'm not sure what type of football will be played there and if it suits him.

With all that said, if he plays very well one of two things will happen - he gets snapped up by a better, bigger team in the upper divisions or he brings Stoke up. So all he has to do is play to his best ability. Great players don't stay long in lower divisions even if they start from there.

Cell,

They have a say but consider where they come from? Bros, for some of these guys the pedigree of the clubs do not matter. It is about what they get paid right now compared to what they were paid previously. Stoke will make off handsomely with a future transfer.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

heavyd wrote:
fabio wrote:A certain Yakubu and Ighalo started their English footballing career in the Championship
Good to know some people still have sense on this Forum... :laugh:

All of them were having palpitations when one of our key players who played in "Div 2" fell ill and was out of the World Cup. :roll:
Oga, it is about fit.

Does Stoke's style fit Etebo's skillset?

Is this going to be another case of Iheanacho? Emenike? Ighalo? There's a long list of our boys who went to the wrong club and saw their careers take a left turn.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Don’t like the move. Good luck to him
I don't like it either. He's too good for the championship level. I hope they gain promotion asap.
G4L,

This is the perfect example of why Nigeria cannot limit itself to calling up only players at the big clubs or elite divisions in Europe. The fact remains that the distribution of players to clubs or league divisions are not foolproof. Nigerian players, in many cases, are after the quick payment and thus their club affiliations do not correlate nicely to their quality.
...have said the same here for years. But quick f/u question:

How then should we measure the quality of the players?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

wiseone wrote:Championship is probably the strongest Div 2 in Europe. It is one of the strongest and most supported second leagues in the world. Not many Div 2s have attendances of 30-50K.

niyi wrote:He's better than the English Championship.
Totally agree
And stoke are well positioned to return to the premier league in one season
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
green4life wrote:
I don't like it either. He's too good for the championship level. I hope they gain promotion asap.
G4L,

This is the perfect example of why Nigeria cannot limit itself to calling up only players at the big clubs or elite divisions in Europe. The fact remains that the distribution of players to clubs or league divisions are not foolproof. Nigerian players, in many cases, are after the quick payment and thus their club affiliations do not correlate nicely to their quality.
...have said the same here for years. But quick f/u question:

How then should we measure the quality of the players?
Txj,

It simply alerts us to avoid the easy route of using elite league to measure quality. The problem is complex and, thus, we need to develop a complex system of measurement and not force-fed a measurement system that will go awry. That is the task and I do not have a simple or quick answer except scout them all.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Cell,

They have a say but consider where they come from? Bros, for some of these guys the pedigree of the clubs do not matter. It is about what they get paid right now compared to what they were paid previously. Stoke will make off handsomely with a future transfer.
My thing is not really about the pedigree of the club rather about whether the club plays a style of football that fits Etebo?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:

Cell,

My thing is not really about the pedigree of the club rather about whether the club plays a style of football that fits Etebo?
Cell,

I understand but these players are not thinking in those terms. Its the cash.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

green4life wrote:
... and his club is going to make a lot of money from his transfer to another club (in future) if things go well; that is, if he sustains no injury.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Apparently, he rejected Valencia for Stoke just like Olofinjana rejected Monaco for Wolves in the championship many years ago. To Nigerian born players, it's all about money.
Ebuehi rejected Norwich for Benfica, he chose football over money. He has a different mentality.
I am happy
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

I reckon championship football is of a higher standard most of the first divisions across Europe including the likes of Belgium , Israel and Portugal
The best from those leagues would probably beat the best championship sides
But the level of opposition faced on any weekend is on average tougher in the championship imho
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote:Apparently, he rejected Valencia for Stoke just like Olofinjana rejected Monaco for Wolves in the championship many years ago. To Nigerian born players, it's all about money.
Ebuehi rejected Norwich for Benfica, he chose football
Dammy,

KPOM. I think about it and wonder what does it matter especially in Etebo's situation. This guy was in the NPFL for a while and was not even paid what he earned. To be honest, he could have easily gone to India or Vietnam (just examples here) if an offer came through. To him, his first concern is earning and being paid money to take care of his immediate and sometimes extended family. The issue of being concerned about type of club and pedigree is for those in position to wait and afford any immediate loss for a greater future. It is unfortunate but it is also reality for a lot of these guys.

Let me state something that really surprised me recently. We interviewed about 15 players currently playing in the NPFL (for a study). I was surprised that several do not have an agent and secondly they move every year. As you probably guessed, their families do not move with them. For them they have to chase the money because of family responsibilities. One of the guys was responsible for his wife and son, three younger sisters and his parents and yet clubs do not pay him regularly. What is the average salary in the NPFL? A bit over the N150,000 a month recommended by LMC.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Going the WC would have improved his stock and profile even if he doesn't get any airtime. A simple gentleman's agreement giving Stoke first refusal would have been good enough. I hope he has a jettison clause in his contract to leave if they don't get promoted after the first year.

Joining any of the promoted clubs, would have made more sense in my opinion. Etebo is a ball player, Simmy looks better suited for the championship.

Anyway sha, while nothing is life is guaranteed, one thing is for certain, Etebo will arguably be their shortest player in history.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

niyi wrote:He's better than the English Championship.
Omeruo was better than Terry once. And equally too good for the Championship where he eventually suffered the indignation of being resigned to the bench. @22, Etebo has his best years ahead of him, a hard fought, gruelling campaign in the Colosseum will do him fair good. And what’s more, at the Britannia does it get better? Too right it does, polar ice caps melting, heaviest rainfall since Noah stretched a bedsheet over his wood standing tall. Pitch, muddy, balls, raking, fifty-fifties? Jumped into, studs up, all or nothing.

Bad move? Nonsense, perhaps the finest bit of business this summer. Solid move. Welldone to the lad, 46 rounds, Yorkshire, Black Country, Lands End, Westeros, Kings Landing, Etebo has pitched his hat into the game of thrones. Real man!
Last edited by Coach on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Mr Shows wrote:Going the WC would have improved his stock and profile even if he doesn't get any airtime. A simple gentleman's agreement giving Stoke first refusal would have been good enough. I hope he has a jettison clause in his contract to leave if they don't get promoted after the first year.

Joining any of the promoted clubs, would have made more sense in my opinion. Etebo is a ball player, Simmy looks better suited for the championship.

Anyway sha, while nothing is life is guaranteed, one thing is for certain, Etebo will arguably be their shortest player in history.
bojan krkic played for stoke and Xherdan Shaqiri plays there
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

smartbrother wrote:I reckon championship football is of a higher standard most of the first divisions across Europe including the likes of Belgium , Israel and Portugal
The best from those leagues would probably beat the best championship sides
But the level of opposition faced on any weekend is on average tougher in the championship imho
Simple...how many watched Wolves run riot last season or saw Bobby pinging diagonals at the heart of Norwich’s midfield? With the relegations and the promotions, ‘tis fair to say, there’s no league more competitive. Etebo has a chance to etch his name into folklore alongside the three kings, Bobby Earnshaw, Sir Nathan Blake OBE and Nathan Duke Ellington. Cracking move.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Barington Danfo. Xheridan will be off, doesn’t have what it takes to cut the mustard, English, Coleman’s, whole grain? Dijon? B*llocks to that. Deep yellow hue, Cumberland sausage, pink in the middle, fried egg, yolk runnier than Mo Farah. Bosh!!! This’ll bring out all the chest hairs!
Last edited by Coach on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is actually quite the worrying move....a guy that has a legit shot at starting for us can't get a team in any division 1???
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Congrats to Etebo :clap: :clap:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

Coach wrote:@Barington Danfo. Xheridan will be off, doesn’t have what it takes to cut the mustard, English, Coleman’s, whole grain? Dijon? B*llocks to that. Deep yellow hue, Cumberland sausage, pink in the middle, fried egg, yolk runnier than Mo Farah. Bosh!!! This’ll bring out all the chest chairs!
I have to say if there is anyone I would most like to meet on this forum it is this guy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are something else bro :rotf:
YNWA
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

We sometimes over-value our players(yes that's what fans should do ) - Not sure if this is a case of fit or opportunity. I am guessing the deal made sense to him hence he signed. Again footie for him is about feeding his family and if this works for him and his then congrats to Etebo
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Not another shiite club again !!!
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

How come a more established international like Onazi could not get a work permit to join Birmingham in the championship last season and Etebo does get it?
I am happy