Croatia coach reveals starting XI for Super Eagles game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

niyi
Egg
Egg
Croatia coach reveals starting XI for Super Eagles game

Post by niyi »

Croatia coach, Zlatko Dalic has announced the team to start the match against the Super Eagles at Kaliningrad on Friday.

According to Croatian website index.hr, Dalic told journalists the exact way the team with Mario Mandzukic set to lead the line for Croatia.

Dalic has restored Captain Luka Modric back to the heart of the midfield alongside Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitic ditching anchorman Milan Badelj. Modric was deployed during Croatia’s pre-World Cup friendlies in the attacking midfield role behind the main striker but will be returned to play in the double pivot behind Hoffenheim’s Andrej Kramaric. Kramaric noted after Croatia’s win against Senegal, in which he scored a goal, that the ‘Nigeria encounter in Russia will not be easy’.

Kramaric, who started as the central striker in Croatia’s 2-0 loss to Brazil, will play behind Mario Mandzukic. Mandzukic last scored for the Balkans in their World Cup qualifier against Finland in June 2017. The goal stands as his only goal in his last ten appearances for Croatia.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Croatia coach reveals starting XI for Super Eagles game

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Dem don ready for us? Kai, we still practicing set pieces and defending. Yeaapaaa, dis wc go dey hard o? :scared: :scared: :scared:
OCCUPY NFF!!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Assuming they are not playing mindgames we should note they don't have a defensive midfielder! I think we can hit them with quick counters and score quick goals in the game then lock up.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Very attacking lineup.

No steel in midfield. In fact their only recognized DM (Badlej) is not even starting.

They plan an all out assault on our team. Basically they are throwing the kitchen sink at us from the beginning.

It will either catch us out cold or be a massive mistake.

The key is not conceding early.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

https://www.total-croatia-news.com/spor ... st-nigeria

“The first match against Nigeria will be the key to our group. We are playing against an African team. They have a German coach that has changed the style of their game and has introduced a lot of young players in the national team who are young, hungry and ambitious and that’s their advantage. This is going to be the toughest game for us,” Zlatko Dalic stated.

Croatia is taking Nigeria very seriously. Giving full respect.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I don't believe this line up.

Modric has played as #10 for all of Dalic's games as coach.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

niyi wrote:Assuming they are not playing mindgames we should note they don't have a defensive midfielder! I think we can hit them with quick counters and score quick goals in the game then lock up.
Have you seen Rakitic and Modric defend? Go and watch what Modric did to Liverpool midfield again. That short man does a lot of defending that is often mistaken as him still playing offensive because of what he does with the ball after dispossessing you. As for Rakitic, he is beast.... With those two sitting in front their defence, they dont need any more cover, they are comprehensively covered.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I don't like that Mandukic , especially with his ability in the air..when that guy turns up to play he is a beast.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:Assuming they are not playing mindgames we should note they don't have a defensive midfielder! I think we can hit them with quick counters and score quick goals in the game then lock up.
Have you seen Rakitic and Modric defend? Go and watch what Modric did to Liverpool midfield again. That short man does a lot of defending that is often mistaken as him still playing offensive because of what he does with the ball after dispossessing you. As for Rakitic, he is beast.... With those two sitting in front their defence, they dont need any more cover, they are comprehensively covered.
I wanted to respond, but saw your response already. :clap: :clap: Nothing as sweet as seeing someone who knows the game. Some people think you need to be big , black, tall, fast to play DM. Thats why one coach insisted thatn Yaya Toure is a DM, when he is actually a lazy AM.

Rakitic, specifically, defends fantastically.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

vancity eagle wrote:Very attacking lineup.

No steel in midfield. In fact their only recognized DM (Badlej) is not even starting.

They plan an all out assault on our team. Basically they are throwing the kitchen sink at us from the beginning.

Perisic and Rakitic can and do play defensively. They run all day and are more than decent ball winners. This is as balanced a Croatian outfit as can be.

The main gamble is Mandzukic. He's older. We're betting he will give us the goals we lack in abundance. Goal scoring is our Achilles heel.

Possession is also a form of defense.
Last edited by mate on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

oloye wrote:I don't like that Mandukic , especially with his ability in the air..when that guy turns up to play he is a beast.
He hasn't scored a goal in a long time. As for Modric's defensive qualities, I don't think so. It looks like they'll have a lot of the ball but they'll lose it a lot if we press them high and they won't be able to stop us.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:I don't like that Mandukic , especially with his ability in the air..when that guy turns up to play he is a beast.
He hasn't scored a goal in a long time. As for Modric's defensive qualities, I don't think so. It looks like they'll have a lot of the ball but they'll lose it a lot if we press them high and they won't be able to stop us.
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over for Nigeria in 40 mins.

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/r ... gles-no-1/

We don't even know who our goalie will be. :scared:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over in 40 mins.

I feel Nigeria going full press plays into our hands. I believe we can exploit this and give our relatively weak attack more opportunities. My fear is Nigeria defending in depth, scoring on a random counter...with Vida doing something foolish.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Modric and Rakitic both have less than 1.5 tackles and 1.5 interceptions per game average. Granted Barca and Madrid typically have a lot of the ball... but you get what I'm saying.

For a comparison, Ndidi has 4.2 tackles per game on average
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

mate wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over in 40 mins.

I feel Nigeria going full press plays into our hands. I believe we can exploit this and give our relatively weak attack more opportunities. My fear is Nigeria defending in depth, scoring on a random counter...with Vida doing something foolish.
Exactly, we would be destroyed in 40 mins. A team that starts sluggishly like an elephant have no business doing high press. There is a reason why we play with one striker...Rohr would know how to explain it better. That the word high press is used does not mean that everybody can do high press!

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

niyi wrote:Modric and Rakitic both have less than 1.5 tackles and 1.5 interceptions per game average. Granted Barca and Madrid typically have a lot of the ball... but you get what I'm saying.

For a comparison, Ndidi has 4.2 tackles per game on average
That is because he plays in a shitty team that can hardly keep the ball. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over for Nigeria in 40 mins.
I think a smart press will work. Press high and if you don't get the ball back in 5 seconds, drop back. Their fullbacks are weak, their midfield is defensively weak too and Lovren typically has brainfarts. Nigerians can fear too much I swear
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mate wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Very attacking lineup.

Perisic and Rakitic can and do play defensively. They run all day and are more than decent ball winners. This is as balanced a Croatian outfit as can be.

The main gamble is Mandzukic. He's older. We're betting he will give us the goals we lack in abundance. Goal scoring is our Achilles heel.

Possession is also a form of defense.

Yes th mf do play defense but if the Senegal game is any measure they'll put up the effort but won't do much. Senegal had no trouble getting by modric and rakitic whatsoever. Croatia scored on a deflection after Senegal subbed the scrubs on in the 70th mn.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
I think a smart press will work. Press high and if you don't get the ball back in 5 seconds, drop back. Their fullbacks are weak, their midfield is defensively weak too and Lovren typically has brainfarts. Nigerians can fear too much I swear
Why are you pressing a team that has midfielders that have spent the last 5 years playing out of a press? :rotf: :rotf:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Would seem they don't respect our attack...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!