Croatia coach reveals starting XI for Super Eagles game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Croatia coach reveals starting XI for Super Eagles game

Post by oloye »

niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:I don't like that Mandukic , especially with his ability in the air..when that guy turns up to play he is a beast.
He hasn't scored a goal in a long time. As for Modric's defensive qualities, I don't think so. It looks like they'll have a lot of the ball but they'll lose it a lot if we press them high and they won't be able to stop us.
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over for Nigeria in 40 mins.
I think a smart press will work. Press high and if you don't get the ball back in 5 seconds, drop back. Their fullbacks are weak, their midfield is defensively weak too and Lovren typically has brainfarts. Nigerians can fear too much I swear
Niyi explain smart press to me...i doubt if there are any dumb press ...but please just explain high press to me. If you dont get the ball in 5 seconds..are you kidding me...do you know how long it takes to move the ball from one player to another and how much it takes to cover the grounds...5 seconds ....geez....are you a theologian?
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Howdy mate? I see you are pumped up for the tournament.
Hope your team have a good showing, and of course losing to the SE
while beating Argentina. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers!!!
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:Assuming they are not playing mindgames we should note they don't have a defensive midfielder! I think we can hit them with quick counters and score quick goals in the game then lock up.
Would seem they don't respect our attack...
I don't think so, more like they know what they have to do . More like they trust their own formation.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Defensively I'm feeling better. It is crucial Corluka isn't starting. With Vida, that would truly leave us vulnerable to raw speed. A defense of Vrsaljko, Vida, Lovren, and Strinic is solid enough.

Again, Vida is capable of a bad dribble, bad pass, and poor positioning. He's cost us in many a match. He's physical, fast enough, and good in the air...but he's the type of defender where your heart races when he has the ball and wants to show some skill.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:I don't like that Mandukic , especially with his ability in the air..when that guy turns up to play he is a beast.
He hasn't scored a goal in a long time. As for Modric's defensive qualities, I don't think so. It looks like they'll have a lot of the ball but they'll lose it a lot if we press them high and they won't be able to stop us.
I dare Nigeria to press Croatia..I repeat i dare Nigeria to press Croatia...it will be over for Nigeria in 40 mins.
I think a smart press will work. Press high and if you don't get the ball back in 5 seconds, drop back. Their fullbacks are weak, their midfield is defensively weak too and Lovren typically has brainfarts. Nigerians can fear too much I swear
Niyi explain smart press to me...i doubt if there are any dumb press ...but please just explain high press to me. If you dont get the ball in 5 seconds..are you kidding me...do you know how long it takes to move the ball from one player to another and how much it takes to cover the grounds...5 seconds ....geez....are you a theologian?
[/video]

There are many dumb presses. We did some of that against England where 1 player would be running and others are chilling or where we have nobody forward after winning the ball back high up the field so we give it away again?

You can fear too much. We have athletic players who can attack and get back quickly why shouldn't we take advantage of slow (but admittedly smart) players?

Are you a guidance counselor?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
mate wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:Very attacking lineup.

No steel in midfield. In fact their only recognized DM (Badlej) is not even starting.

They plan an all out assault on our team. Basically they are throwing the kitchen sink at us from the beginning.

It will either catch us out cold or be a massive mistake.

The key is not conceding early.

Perisic and Rakitic can and do play defensively. They run all day and are more than decent ball winners. This is as balanced a Croatian outfit as can be.

The main gamble is Mandzukic. He's older. We're betting he will give us the goals we lack in abundance. Goal scoring is our Achilles heel.

Possession is also a form of defense.

Yes th mf do play defense but if the Senegal game is any measure they'll put up the effort but won't do much. Senegal had no trouble getting by modric and rakitic whatsoever. Croatia scored on a deflection after Senegal subbed the scrubs on in the 70th mn.

Croatia looked as good as it could in last 10 day friendlies against Brazil and Senegal. Especially defensively. To me, they always had another gear, saving it for the WC.

Believe me, Croatia doesn't always show such preparation, discipline, and results. I think Dalic has it right. I'm content that this is the optimal team, formation, and style.

Come game day against Nigeria, I'm hoping we play to possess, trying to get opportunities to Mandzukic and Kramaric. Limiting exposure to counters.

If we do that, win or lose, I'll be happy. I don't often see Croatia play to potential. That for me is a victory enough. Then it comes down to how good we really are. Again, may the best teams win.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
[/video]

There are many dumb presses. We did some of that against England where 1 player would be running and others are chilling or where we have nobody forward after winning the ball back high up the field so we give it away again?

You can fear too much. We have athletic players who can attack and get back quickly why shouldn't we take advantage of slow (but admittedly smart) players?

My brother you do not get my question and i am surprised you fell for it. A press is a press, you either execute it well or you execute it badly, hence i said not everyone is cut out for the pressing game. It requires practice, personnel and above all discipline.

Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Niyi has a point in that we press the defenders and sop them from starting play. ONce the ball gets to midfield, we will have problems. We have to decide when to press and when to retreat. Otherwise we will be chasing shadows for a long time.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

the game is on saturday and not friday
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
[/video]

My brother you do not get my question and i am surprised you fell for it. A press is a press, you either execute it well or you execute it badly, hence i said not everyone is cut out for the pressing game. It requires practice, personnel and above all discipline.
Egbon I see what you mean now. What's most important though is that our coach is hopefully better at drawing up tactics than both of us and he approaches this very winnable game in a smart manner.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

I wonder what pre game analysis revealed before our game with Spain in France'98.... I remember some fans at the time blabbing on the old forum that our players couldn't beat their 4th team.

It all depends what teams turn up on the day. From the looks of it, both teams will be ready and it should be an even match up.

My head tells me it'll be a 1-1 draw, with missed chances on both ends. Nigeria will finish the stronger of the two.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mr Shows wrote:I wonder what pre game analysis revealed before our game with Spain in France'98.... I remember some fans at the time blabbing on the old forum that our players couldn't beat their 4th team.

It all depends what teams turn up on the day. From the looks of it, both teams will be ready and it should be an even match up.

My head tells me it'll be a 1-1 draw, with missed chances on both ends. Nigeria will finish the stronger of the two.
We were VERY lucky in that game...let’s pray for the same luck in this WC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
If we press them it is like okada chancing Tipper.

I don't think we are fit enough to press them. Moreover, you have to be on some Adderall to press a team like Croatia.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/r ... gles-no-1/

We don't even know who our goalie will be. :scared:
Akpeyi is our starting goalkeeper. He is the most experienced in big games and the best of the 3 goalkeepers.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Dem don ready for us? Kai, we still practicing set pieces and defending. Yeaapaaa, dis wc go dey hard o? :scared: :scared: :scared:
Bros easy! Make you no fear.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

niyi wrote:Assuming they are not playing mindgames we should note they don't have a defensive midfielder! I think we can hit them with quick counters and score quick goals in the game then lock up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... then close shop for the day. Damn, I wish it comes as easy as such
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

1.) Dejan Lovren and Mario Madzukic will be key as Croatia look for corner kicks in the opening minutes to exploit our poor starts. These guys will head goals in all day long. That is a fact.
2.) Lovren is a mistake waiting to happen as he is easily susceptible to the dribble. His tacking is rash.
3.) The asset of the midfield duo of Rakitic and Modric is in the offensive part of the game. They are brilliantly creative with killer passes and they score goals. But Croatia are notoriously slow at the back especially to long passes aimed behind the back four. We saw Senegal exploit them easily in the wings.
4.) Croatia play with power all round and hopefully the ref will reward them with yellow cards.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

vancity eagle wrote:Very attacking lineup.

No steel in midfield. In fact their only recognized DM (Badlej) is not even starting.

They plan an all out assault on our team. Basically they are throwing the kitchen sink at us from the beginning.

It will either catch us out cold or be a massive mistake.

The key is not conceding early.
After watching our friendlies, I think their plan is to attack us, score early goals and defend from there. Thus, if we survive their first 30 minutes of the attacks, they might be dead, thereafter.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

joao wrote:Howdy mate? I see you are pumped up for the tournament.
Hope your team have a good showing, and of course losing to the SE
while beating Argentina. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers!!!
Yeah, Mate! Please tell your team to take it easy on us. We are friends here :D :) Already some of my country people are beginning to pee on themselves due to fear :lol: :lol: :lol:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Odas wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Dem don ready for us? Kai, we still practicing set pieces and defending. Yeaapaaa, dis wc go dey hard o? :scared: :scared: :scared:
Bros easy! Make you no fear.
Shebi you've guaranteed 3pts abi. I see you've already started shaking before piooom. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Wow! This lineup is fighting talk. A real dare to Nigeria:

- daring Nigeria to attack on the wings and leave holes behind
- daring Nigeria to sit back and let them find the run and the holes
- daring Nigeria to play three at the back and get out passed in the middle of the park

Here’s the the thing: I think we’ll take the dare -

Really push those wing backs wide and forward and isolate their full backs
Really be patient and disciplined when the have the ball and rely on our pace on the counter
Really play 3, nay 5 at the back with Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi just ahead and Moses primed to run fast breaks

An intriguing match up awaits. It’ll be a feast for the neutrals and real contrasts in styles
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
oloye wrote:
niyi wrote:
If we press them it is like okada chancing Tipper.

I don't think we are fit enough to press them. Moreover, you have to be on some Adderall to press a team like Croatia.

Our first line of press can get to Croatia; disagree with Oloye...My concern is with the 2nd line...

We just need to make it situational, and identify the right scenario to trigger a high press....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote:Wow! This lineup is fighting talk. A real dare to Nigeria:

- daring Nigeria to attack on the wings and leave holes behind
- daring Nigeria to sit back and let them find the run and the holes
- daring Nigeria to play three at the back and get out passed in the middle of the park

Here’s the the thing: I think we’ll take the dare -

Really push those wing backs wide and forward and isolate their full backs
Really be patient and disciplined when the have the ball and rely on our pace on the counter
Really play 3, nay 5 at the back with Ndidi, Mikel and Iwobi just ahead and Moses primed to run fast breaks

An intriguing match up awaits. It’ll be a feast for the neutrals and real contrasts in styles
Perisic is very fast and very direct. If we push too up on that side, they will do to us what they did to Senegal through that position
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?