Onazi dropped as Eagles’ vice captain?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Pounded Yam
Egg
Egg
Onazi dropped as Eagles’ vice captain?

Post by Pounded Yam »

Bunmi Ogunyale

Contrary to the make-believe video that there are no squabble between John Obi Mikel and Ogenyi Onazi, Daily SunSports can exclusively report that all is still not well in the Super Eagles’ camp ahead of the World Cup.

Daily SunSports last night scooped that the Trabzonspor of Turkey midfielder has been dropped as Super Eagles’ assistant captain.

Our camp source hinted that national team manager, Gernot Rohr is not disposed to the appointment of a vice captain, saying the idea was counter productive to his plans ahead of the Mundial.
“Rohr has resolved to cancel the position of vice captain in the Super Eagles as it is believed to be one of the issues militating against the team.

“Mikel remains is the captain and have been told to hand over the captain’s band to the most senior player on the pitch whenever he is being substituted.

“By this pronouncement, Onazi ceased to be Super Eagles’ vice captain from now on,” the source revealed.
It was also gathered that due to Onazi attitude in camp, Mikel has asked for the player to be dropped but the Nigeria Football Federation fears a backlash as some players are believed to be loyal to him.

Onazi, according to our source may miss the first group game against Croatia as the technical crew would claim an injury prevented him from the tie.

Since emerging from so called ‘Group of Death’ in the African qualifying series, becoming the first African team to reach the finals in Russia, the Eagles have played against Argentina, Poland, Serbia, DR Congo, England and Czech Republic in friendlies, winning two, drawing one and losing three.

Victories over two –time world champions, Argentina (finalists at the last finals in Brazil) and Poland were followed by defeat by Serbia, a draw with the Democratic Republic of Congo and losses to England and the Czech Republic.

Coach Gernot Rohr would be the first to admit that the statistics from these friendly encounters were not head –turning, but he insisted at the weekend, just as Captain Mikel Obi did few days earlier, that the underdog tag that had come as a result suit the three –time African champions nicely.

“We are okay with the garb of the underdog. But the defeats have done something for us – we have our heads firmly on our shoulders and we are focused.

“Together, we have reviewed the matches and learnt so many lessons. We will approach the World Cup matches differently,” said Rohr.

Nigeria’s first match is against Croatia on Saturday, with the Eagles logging a balanced record of having won their opening match at the World Cup on two occasions, drawn once and lost twice. On the three occasions they have not lost their opening match (1994, 1998, 2014), the Eagles had progressed to the Round of 16.

An underwhelming recent record, being the lowest –ranked team in Group D and the lowest –ranked African team in the finals, plus a recent tag by FIFA as mere ‘perennial World Cup appearance –makers’ all tend to project the Eagles as a side waiting to be rolled over.

That would be the biggest mistake of the so –called big teams.

Nigeria’s senior team has the knack for coming to the party when least expected. Lumped in a fiery assembly with Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia in the African qualifying race, the Eagles made short work of the pool, emerging run –away winners with a match to spare, and with the distinction of hammering African champions, Cameroon 4-0 in Uyo.

http://sunnewsonline.com/onazi-dropped- ... e-captain/
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Onazi dropped as Eagles’ vice captain?

Post by 1naija »

I like the idea of scrapping the Vice Captain position. It serves no purpose.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Pounded Yam wrote:Bunmi Ogunyale

Contrary to the make-believe video that there are no squabble between John Obi Mikel and Ogenyi Onazi, Daily SunSports can exclusively report that all is still not well in the Super Eagles’ camp ahead of the World Cup.

Daily SunSports last night scooped that the Trabzonspor of Turkey midfielder has been dropped as Super Eagles’ assistant captain.

Our camp source hinted that national team manager, Gernot Rohr is not disposed to the appointment of a vice captain, saying the idea was counter productive to his plans ahead of the Mundial.
“Rohr has resolved to cancel the position of vice captain in the Super Eagles as it is believed to be one of the issues militating against the team.

“Mikel remains is the captain and have been told to hand over the captain’s band to the most senior player on the pitch whenever he is being substituted.

“By this pronouncement, Onazi ceased to be Super Eagles’ vice captain from now on,” the source revealed.
It was also gathered that due to Onazi attitude in camp, Mikel has asked for the player to be dropped but the Nigeria Football Federation fears a backlash as some players are believed to be loyal to him.

Onazi, according to our source may miss the first group game against Croatia as the technical crew would claim an injury prevented him from the tie.

Since emerging from so called ‘Group of Death’ in the African qualifying series, becoming the first African team to reach the finals in Russia, the Eagles have played against Argentina, Poland, Serbia, DR Congo, England and Czech Republic in friendlies, winning two, drawing one and losing three.

Victories over two –time world champions, Argentina (finalists at the last finals in Brazil) and Poland were followed by defeat by Serbia, a draw with the Democratic Republic of Congo and losses to England and the Czech Republic.

Coach Gernot Rohr would be the first to admit that the statistics from these friendly encounters were not head –turning, but he insisted at the weekend, just as Captain Mikel Obi did few days earlier, that the underdog tag that had come as a result suit the three –time African champions nicely.

“We are okay with the garb of the underdog. But the defeats have done something for us – we have our heads firmly on our shoulders and we are focused.

“Together, we have reviewed the matches and learnt so many lessons. We will approach the World Cup matches differently,” said Rohr.

Nigeria’s first match is against Croatia on Saturday, with the Eagles logging a balanced record of having won their opening match at the World Cup on two occasions, drawn once and lost twice. On the three occasions they have not lost their opening match (1994, 1998, 2014), the Eagles had progressed to the Round of 16.

An underwhelming recent record, being the lowest –ranked team in Group D and the lowest –ranked African team in the finals, plus a recent tag by FIFA as mere ‘perennial World Cup appearance –makers’ all tend to project the Eagles as a side waiting to be rolled over.

That would be the biggest mistake of the so –called big teams.

Nigeria’s senior team has the knack for coming to the party when least expected. Lumped in a fiery assembly with Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia in the African qualifying race, the Eagles made short work of the pool, emerging run –away winners with a match to spare, and with the distinction of hammering African champions, Cameroon 4-0 in Uyo.

http://sunnewsonline.com/onazi-dropped- ... e-captain/
His source must have been the guy pissing into the urinal next to the writer just before he left the beer parlour...... SMH :dream:
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Onazi should have been dropped from the team. He has been stinking up the joint in the last 6 games he has played for Naijaria or even more.

Just go through the match threads.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Someone trying to fill the position of the original muyiwa the insider abi na innercaucus
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Didnt they say Mikel and Onazi no dey talk?
Abeg,...avoid fake news. Just support the team, or commot for road.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Garbage story
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:I like the idea of scrapping the Vice Captain position. It serves no purpose.
Bros 1Naija; what do you mean by that? Does an assistant in a position not have a purpose or job responsibility? I thought "assistance" means to assist someone higher
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The assistant captain role is meaningless. Does Onazi display leadership on the pitch; hell, does Mikel even?

I wish we had a leader in central defence.... the wailing wall of Jerusalem is more vocal than our "Oyinbo Wall" .
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

deanotito wrote:Garbage story
kpom
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

The YeyeMan wrote:The assistant captain role is meaningless. Does Onazi display leadership on the pitch; hell, does Mikel even?

I wish we had a leader in central defence.... the wailing wall of Jerusalem is more vocal than our "Oyinbo Wall" .
So no one will deputize??? ok ooo
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

what we are seeing here is very sad. why do our people hate progress so much?
OCCUPY NFF!!
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Cellular wrote:Onazi should have been dropped from the team. He has been stinking up the joint in the last 6 games he has played for Naijaria or even more.

Just go through the match threads.
Nothing more to add
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

WHO REALLY CARES WHO THE CAPTAIN IS...

...much less the assistant? Just get me on the team, in the 1st 11, and I'm a happy camper. If Obi is subbed, I agree that the arm band should go to the next senior player (which could be any number of them) unless the coach has designated in advance who he wants to be such a person, one who he thinks has the qualities of a leader. That said, I don't believe the story.
Bell
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

charlie wrote:Didnt they say Mikel and Onazi no dey talk?
Abeg,...avoid fake news. Just support the team, or commot for road.
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

in typical Naija style we have gone from one extreme to another with respect to onazi
from completely overlooking his glaringly obvious faults (which were apparent to those with discerning eyes as far back as two years ago)
to treating him like a leper after the england game

The truth is Onazi is still a valuable player to Nigeria.
And remains arguably our best midfield destroyer.
When paired with a natural holding player like Mikel or nwakali in central midfield, he is an excellent player.
Rohr seems to be a slow learner but he will come to realize this eventually

In the meantime, I just hope for his sake Onazi does not become a disruptive influence behind the scenes
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

I just hope he doesn't break anyone's arm in this tournament. :lol:
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The problem is Nigerians as a whole like meaningless titles I.e Dr,Prof,pastor and Mallam,all don’t want to prove why they have these titles,if Onazi is a man of any worth he wouldn’t see losing the position as vice captain as a problem and for the good of the team make it clear there shouldn’t be a split.
That’s if this story is true of cause!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI