Is Gernot Rohr "Man Enough" to Make Changes?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Is Gernot Rohr "Man Enough" to Make Changes?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Will Rohr move Mikel Obi to a deeper position in the middle and move Iwobi to a more advanced position given the characteristics that are already mentioned? Bear in mind that Mikel has stated publicly and several times that he prefers the more advanced position. Can Rohr put his feet down and make the switch any way? I doubt it or at least there is nothing to indicate that he will.
Secondly, can he move Moses to the wing back position, a position (albeit on the right side) that Moses already plays at his club Chelsea? Again, I doubt it when one considers that Moses is not strong defensively when he plays for Nigeria but it is clear that he is capable of playing in that position and he provides a far better option than Idowu will ever provide.
The real question is whether Rohr can pull the trigger. That is the bottomline.

Details here:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/06/h ... icult.html
We are supposed to be educated adults therefore, we must engage in critical thinking. Just about every Nigerian National team coach, from Amodu to Rohr has played Mikel in a more advanced role than he did for Chelsea. That is unequivocally because Nigeria’s needs are quite different from Chelsea’s. Our national coaches seem to have grasped the fact that the holding and defensive midfielder roles are not Mikel’s natural role, even though he’s talented enough to play those roles better than most. Indeed, at his current club, he plays extremely efficiently at the more advanced role. We all witnessed what happened in 2014 when, at the World Cup, Stephen Keshi decided to play him at the more Chelsea-like role. Even though he had some moments of near brilliance, he rendered a somewhat generally subdued performance. So, the question I have for you bloggers in general is, What is your pedigree in football and, in particular, coaching that makes you think all those coaches are wrong and you are right :?: :!:

Cheers.

Nonsense talk. We only play Mikel there because we lack any other creative midfielder. If Okocha or Oruma were playing today, Mikel would be in his natural position in front of the back four.

With Iwobi emerging as our playmaker, Mikel has zero business further upfield. Personally, I would have loved to see the Mikel/Ndidi/Nwakali combination with Kelechi as playmaker!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

metalalloy wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:It is nonsensical to suggest that Victor Moses plays as a wingback when we all know that when he is up for a match, he is our most lethal threat going forward. I think I will log off CE for the duration of the World Cup because some of the views being espoused here will make me lose my temper.

Imagine!!! you of all people? oh the irony :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know, unlike most, I think it’s OK sometimes to shoot the messenger as long as you fully imbibe the message :lol: :lol: :lol: :!:

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Will Rohr move Mikel Obi to a deeper position in the middle and move Iwobi to a more advanced position given the characteristics that are already mentioned? Bear in mind that Mikel has stated publicly and several times that he prefers the more advanced position. Can Rohr put his feet down and make the switch any way? I doubt it or at least there is nothing to indicate that he will.
Secondly, can he move Moses to the wing back position, a position (albeit on the right side) that Moses already plays at his club Chelsea? Again, I doubt it when one considers that Moses is not strong defensively when he plays for Nigeria but it is clear that he is capable of playing in that position and he provides a far better option than Idowu will ever provide.

Details here:

We are supposed to be educated adults therefore, we must engage in critical thinking. Just about every Nigerian National team coach, from Amodu to Rohr has played Mikel in a more advanced role than he did for Chelsea. That is unequivocally because Nigeria’s needs are quite different from Chelsea’s. Our national coaches seem to have grasped the fact that the holding and defensive midfielder roles are not Mikel’s natural role, even though he’s talented enough to play those roles better than most. Indeed, at his current club, he plays extremely efficiently at the more advanced role. We all witnessed what happened in 2014 when, at the World Cup, Stephen Keshi decided to play him at the more Chelsea-like role. Even though he had some moments of near brilliance, he rendered a somewhat generally subdued performance. So, the question I have for you bloggers in general is, What is your pedigree in football and, in particular, coaching that makes you think all those coaches are wrong and you are right :?: :!:

Cheers.

Mikel did not play any "Chelsea-like role" at the 2014 world cup.
Really? He didn’t play a much deeper role than he’s accustomed to playing for Nigeria :?: :?: :?: You need an eye doctor, my friend :!:

Cheers.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

Cheers.

Really? He didn’t play a much deeper role than he’s accustomed to playing for Nigeria :?: :?: :?: You need an eye doctor, my friend :!:

Cheers.

Bro, We played 4-3-3 under Keshi at the 2014 WC. Mikel played as a CM with Onazi, and in fact advanced ahead of him to create, while Onazi primarily was a DM/Holding midfielder. That role is very different from his role at Chelsea where he was most often part of a two man DM with Matic.

World Cup 2014: Nigeria tactics and key questions – the expert's view
In midfield, Mikel John Obi is the linchpin but not from the same position that in which he has earned his reputation at Chelsea. Mikel is the exact opposite with Nigeria, he is a more creative force with Lazio's Ogenyi Onazi in the holding role and Victor Moses dropping deep, although there is a possibility that Moses could find himself surplus to requirements.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... l-analysis
Last edited by metalalloy on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

What Rohr should be man enough to do is making changes in a timely fashion.

Dude is so slow in making changing... he needs to up his game on that aspect of his coaching.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Cellular wrote:

Dude is so slow in making changing... he needs to up his game on that aspect of his coaching.

Cant stress this enough. He makes the right changes at half time but then it is too late and we have had to dig out of holes. I'm hoping that in the Argentina and England friendly, he was trying to see if his team could play out of trouble situations sha.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

gochino wrote:Nice article! But when did Mikel says he prefers the advanced position? Source?... Mikel is good at recovering the ball? Well that's news to me, maybe when he played for Chelsea but not for the super eagles.
In terms of your position on the pitch, you’re taking up a more attacking midfield role than you’ve been accustomed to at club level. Are you enjoying that role?
I grew up playing in a more offensive position, but what’s happened has happened. I’ve been playing holding midfield for 11 years now. But every time I come back to the national team, I play more offensively. I always try and make sure I make the team play and create chances. I enjoy it. It’s great to play in that position again.
https://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/news/y ... 22408.html

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I am glad Rohr is man enough to ignore the gibberish on this board.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

metalalloy wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

Cheers.

Cheers.

Bro, We played 4-3-3 under Keshi at the 2014 WC. Mikel played as a CM with Onazi, and in fact advanced ahead of him to create, while Onazi primarily was a DM/Holding midfielder. That role is very different from his role at Chelsea where he was most often part of a two man DM with Matic.

World Cup 2014: Nigeria tactics and key questions – the expert's view
In midfield, Mikel John Obi is the linchpin but not from the same position that in which he has earned his reputation at Chelsea. Mikel is the exact opposite with Nigeria, he is a more creative force with Lazio's Ogenyi Onazi in the holding role and Victor Moses dropping deep, although there is a possibility that Moses could find himself surplus to requirements.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... l-analysis
I guess people see what they want to see. What I observed was that Onazi went forward far more times than Mikel, taking many more shots, all of which we’re wayward and ineffective. Mikel, on the other hand, elected to concentrate on his central midfield duties... and btw, stop presenting the Guardian’s uninformed opinion as fact. For real :!:

Cheers.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Would love to see Iwobi as an AM and see Mikel play deeper beside Ndidi. Moses is our biggest attacking threat, so I wouldn't play him as a wingback, as the wingback role demands a lot of defensive responsibilities. When Moses is on his game our attack is at its best.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

I guess people see what they want to see. What I observed was that Onazi went forward far more times than Mikel, taking many more shots, all of which we’re wayward and ineffective. Mikel, on the other hand, elected to concentrate on his central midfield duties... and btw, stop presenting the Guardian’s uninformed opinion as fact. For real :!:

Cheers.
Haba, but your opinion is more valid than a sports writers? :D

Oya here is another non Guardian source for you specifically discussing Mikel and Onazi's roles under Keshi
Two men are assured of their place in the midfield, but not their actual role. John Obi Mikel, who plays a much more cultured, inventive role for Nigeria than for Chelsea, is the key midfielder. He won’t play in the deep-lying holding position, but instead as the ’second’ midfielder in this triangle, to the left, from where he can spread play to the flanks and dart forward to join attack
The problem isn’t solely about creativity, either. With Mikel as the second midfielder in the trio, it means Ogenyi Onzai is forced to act as the deepest midfielder, which doesn’t suit his skillset – he’s more energetic and likes to cover lots of ground. This means he’s bypassed easily, and the defence can be exposed readily.
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/10/ ... questions/

You dispute dis one too? :taunt:

Ps. the debate is whether Mikel was playing a similar DM role that he played for Chelsea at the 2014 world cup for Nigeria, and the answer is a resounding NO. Even if Onazi took more shots than Mikel, it does not necessarily mean that he was tasked with playing ahead of Mikel in the middle. FYI Onazi had more shots on goal than Emenike, does that mean that Onazi was playing as a forward ahead of Emenike?

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

I don't know why you guys keep wanting players to play the exact same positions they play at their clubs for the National team.

Club football is totally different. You have players who you practice with day in and day out who compliments what you do and who you have a good understanding with. National team is not the same. Rohr has experimented with NOT playing Mikel at all and we have seen the outcome. A none existent and inability to retain any form of possession or coordinated attack. We even had games we had ZERO shots on goal. He remains the only player who has a full complement of passes and passing range. He has the ability to control the tempo of the game and to calm nerves. You also don't want him playing too close to your backline because of his tendency to sometimes overshield the ball... which might not be called when he is fouled. He does not have the legs to hustle back and win back possession so you actually want him playing in an advanced role where he is not a liability.

As for Moses, he is our BEST attacking threat. The good thing is that with his club play he can contribute defensively. He is a forward. He is a NOT a defender. He plays that position because it is the only way he will get playing time at this club. My issue with Moses is which Moses are we going to get? The lackadaisical Moses, the Selfish Moses, or the unplayable Moses?
This about sums it up for me and is the $6m question.... I really hope he comes all fired up for Croatia.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Good piece on how Mikel and Moses fit in a 3-5-2.

I'd also been thinking that Moses could fare better in the wing back role....

Thinking to the Croatia game and assuming yours is the starting line up.... I think 3-5-2 is the optimal formation; however your line up doesn't allow for the formation to easily transform into a 4-2-3-1 - as Moses will never be a left back and one wouldn't really want Ogu there either. In a nutshell it's a lineup that'd probably require a substitution in order to change its shape effectively.

One thing we can agree on is that Mikel should take a deeper role in the team, for his vision for the long pass and to help hold possession in that area. But I'm not convinced that a midfield of Ndidi, Mikel, and Iwobi is the best bet against the Croats - considering our opponents are likely to dominate possession. Assuming Croatia's team is as advertised then how is it best exploited and how do se safeguard against their technical midfield being able to move the ball quickly and expose our line of defence?

I'm not entirely sold on Iheanacho - he tries to do to much for Nigeria and will too often come deep to receive the ball - his presence is needed up top to occupy opposition defenders. Perhaps he wouldn't drop so deep and isolate the other forward (Ighalo) if Iwobi and Mikel are on the field....

Croatia have a weakness at full back - especially left back - and you'd ideally want Moses to exploit that, rather than Ebuehi. This is where Simon Moses' absence is keenly felt as he's good defensively. Could Musa perform this role?

Questions, questions.... Rohr will have earned his pay if he can figure this out. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

metalalloy wrote:
gochino wrote:Nice article! But when did Mikel says he prefers the advanced position? Source?... Mikel is good at recovering the ball? Well that's news to me, maybe when he played for Chelsea but not for the super eagles.
In terms of your position on the pitch, you’re taking up a more attacking midfield role than you’ve been accustomed to at club level. Are you enjoying that role?
I grew up playing in a more offensive position, but what’s happened has happened. I’ve been playing holding midfield for 11 years now. But every time I come back to the national team, I play more offensively. I always try and make sure I make the team play and create chances. I enjoy it. It’s great to play in that position again.
I still don't see were he says he prefers the advanced position to his Chelsea role. :roll:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The YeyeMan wrote:Good piece on how Mikel and Moses fit in a 3-5-2.

I'd also been thinking that Moses could fare better in the wing back role....

Thinking to the Croatia game and assuming yours is the starting line up.... I think 3-5-2 is the optimal formation; however your line up doesn't allow for the formation to easily transform into a 4-2-3-1 - as Moses will never be a left back and one wouldn't really want Ogu there either. In a nutshell it's a lineup that'd probably require a substitution in order to change its shape effectively.

One thing we can agree on is that Mikel should take a deeper role in the team, for his vision for the long pass and to help hold possession in that area. But I'm not convinced that a midfield of Ndidi, Mikel, and Iwobi is the best bet against the Croats - considering our opponents are likely to dominate possession. Assuming Croatia's team is as advertised then how is it best exploited and how do se safeguard against their technical midfield being able to move the ball quickly and expose our line of defence?

I'm not entirely sold on Iheanacho - he tries to do to much for Nigeria and will too often come deep to receive the ball - his presence is needed up top to occupy opposition defenders. Perhaps he wouldn't drop so deep and isolate the other forward (Ighalo) if Iwobi and Mikel are on the field....

Croatia have a weakness at full back - especially left back - and you'd ideally want Moses to exploit that, rather than Ebuehi. This is where Simon Moses' absence is keenly felt as he's good defensively. Could Musa perform this role?

Questions, questions.... Rohr will have earned his pay if he can figure this out. :D
The Yeyeman,

Let me respond to the two points I have highlighted above. On the first, I agree with you that if the team is to transform defensively, you may (probably) need a substitution. I was not thinking of the flexibility of transitioning to that formation without a substitution. However, if flexibility is sought, would it not be possible to move Ebuehi back and Ogu as the other left back? Up front, you will withdraw Iheanacho behind Ighalo and move Iwobi to the right? That is basically something that the coach had actually attempted previously as a 4-2-3-1.

As for Iheanacho.I can understand your feelings because admittedly Iheanacho has really not done well lately. However, I still feel he is the most gifted goal scorer that we have and I feel that he will pay off being on the field for longer minutes than Rohr has been giving him lately.

TBH, we are all thinking our proposed lineups will be the key but reality is that they are just based on hope and justification from previous observations. Nothing is really assured.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

gochino wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
I still don't see were he says he prefers the advanced position to his Chelsea role. :roll:
Do you have a quote where Mikel has ever said he prefers the DM "Chelsea role" to what he plays for the SE? Do you have a quote where he says he "enjoys" the DM role?
Mikel prefers to play as second holding midfielder and not the more defensive position he plays at Chelsea,” Yusuf revealed on a television interview programme Friday morning.

“We (Eagles coaches) sat down with him to discuss his preferred position and he told us he will rather play as a second holding player like what he did at the Rio Olympics.

“And that was also the position we played him against Tanzania and he played very well.”
https://africanfootball.com/news/651224 ... gles-coach

green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Cellular wrote:

He better not fall asleep on the bench against Croatia otherwise it could be all over by halftime.