Is Gernot Rohr "Man Enough" to Make Changes?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Gernot Rohr "Man Enough" to Make Changes?

Post by Enugu II »

Will Rohr move Mikel Obi to a deeper position in the middle and move Iwobi to a more advanced position given the characteristics that are already mentioned? Bear in mind that Mikel has stated publicly and several times that he prefers the more advanced position. Can Rohr put his feet down and make the switch any way? I doubt it or at least there is nothing to indicate that he will.
Secondly, can he move Moses to the wing back position, a position (albeit on the right side) that Moses already plays at his club Chelsea? Again, I doubt it when one considers that Moses is not strong defensively when he plays for Nigeria but it is clear that he is capable of playing in that position and he provides a far better option than Idowu will ever provide.
The real question is whether Rohr can pull the trigger. That is the bottomline.

Details here:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/06/h ... icult.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
gochino
Egg
Egg
Re: Is Gernot Rohr "Man Enough" to Make Changes?

Post by gochino »

Nice article! But when did Mikel says he prefers the advanced position? Source?... Mikel is good at recovering the ball? Well that's news to me, maybe when he played for Chelsea but not for the super eagles.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

I fully agree.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Enugu II wrote:
Will Rohr move Mikel Obi to a deeper position in the middle and move Iwobi to a more advanced position given the characteristics that are already mentioned? Bear in mind that Mikel has stated publicly and several times that he prefers the more advanced position. Can Rohr put his feet down and make the switch any way? I doubt it or at least there is nothing to indicate that he will.
Secondly, can he move Moses to the wing back position, a position (albeit on the right side) that Moses already plays at his club Chelsea? Again, I doubt it when one considers that Moses is not strong defensively when he plays for Nigeria but it is clear that he is capable of playing in that position and he provides a far better option than Idowu will ever provide.

Details here:

I hope you know Moses plays right wing back and I down plays on the left wing.. How then are you suggesting that Moses takes Idowu's place?
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

naijaguy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

I hope you know Moses plays right wing back and I down plays on the left wing.. How then are you suggesting that Moses takes Idowu's place?
Naijaguy

I do realize he plays on the right for Chelsea hence the phrase that starts with "albeit ..." I have him on the left for Nigeria because he does play on that side for Nigeria for a good part of his minutes.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

switching from 4=3=3 to 3-5-2 was hard enough
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Why play Moses as a left wing back when you have experienced echejile
I get the impression Rohr and the dumb people calling for echejiles inclusion didn’t think this one through properly
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

It is nonsensical to suggest that Victor Moses plays as a wingback when we all know that when he is up for a match, he is our most lethal threat going forward. I think I will log off CE for the duration of the World Cup because some of the views being espoused here will make me lose my temper.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:It is nonsensical to suggest that Victor Moses plays as a wingback when we all know that when he is up for a match, he is our most lethal threat going forward. I think I will log off CE for the duration of the World Cup because some of the views being espoused here will make me lose my temper.
Pls log off and take Enugu 2 with you
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

smartbrother wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:It is nonsensical to suggest that Victor Moses plays as a wingback when we all know that when he is up for a match, he is our most lethal threat going forward. I think I will log off CE for the duration of the World Cup because some of the views being espoused here will make me lose my temper.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gbosai
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Moses is our most lethal forward against African teams that gives him spaces, license to operate but against EU or SA team he is almost a weakness. He dosent release the ball on time and that affects the cow of the game
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

I don't know why you guys keep wanting players to play the exact same positions they play at their clubs for the National team.

Club football is totally different. You have players who you practice with day in and day out who compliments what you do and who you have a good understanding with. National team is not the same. Rohr has experimented with NOT playing Mikel at all and we have seen the outcome. A none existent and inability to retain any form of possession or coordinated attack. We even had games we had ZERO shots on goal. He remains the only player who has a full complement of passes and passing range. He has the ability to control the tempo of the game and to calm nerves. You also don't want him playing too close to your backline because of his tendency to sometimes overshield the ball... which might not be called when he is fouled. He does not have the legs to hustle back and win back possession so you actually want him playing in an advanced role where he is not a liability.

As for Moses, he is our BEST attacking threat. The good thing is that with his club play he can contribute defensively. He is a forward. He is a NOT a defender. He plays that position because it is the only way he will get playing time at this club. My issue with Moses is which Moses are we going to get? The lackadaisical Moses, the Selfish Moses, or the unplayable Moses?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

He is ACTUALLY a weakness, for the very reasons you mentioned.
If you recall, he was largely benched during the 2014 WC, in spite of the role he played in winning the AFCON.

Rohr needs to have him play as a wingback (which he seems really good at with Chelsea), or bench his ball hogging behind.
john12 wrote:Moses is our most lethal forward against African teams that gives him spaces, license to operate but against EU or SA team he is almost a weakness. He dosent release the ball on time and that affects the cow of the game
Last edited by Otitokoro on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otitokoro
Egg
Egg

Post by Otitokoro »

Really? So, why don't you advocate for Ndidi to play as center back (and not as a DM which he is extremely good at)?
You position a player in a lineup based on his STRENGHT. You use club performance to gage that strenght (Ndidi, Iwobi, etc).

Moses is absolutely NOT our best attacking threat (not sure where you got that from). His recent performances have helped bring that fact to fore. As EII rightfully pointed out, he needs to be played as a right wingback (or make way for someone more productive). This is the World Cup and we need to get serious, folks. All the experimenting needs to stop.
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

I don't know why you guys keep wanting players to play the exact same positions they play at their clubs for the National team.

Club football is totally different. You have players who you practice with day in and day out who compliments what you do and who you have a good understanding with. National team is not the same. Rohr has experimented with NOT playing Mikel at all and we have seen the outcome. A none existent and inability to retain any form of possession or coordinated attack. We even had games we had ZERO shots on goal. He remains the only player who has a full complement of passes and passing range. He has the ability to control the tempo of the game and to calm nerves. You also don't want him playing too close to your backline because of his tendency to sometimes overshield the ball... which might not be called when he is fouled. He does not have the legs to hustle back and win back possession so you actually want him playing in an advanced role where he is not a liability.

As for Moses, he is our BEST attacking threat. The good thing is that with his club play he can contribute defensively. He is a forward. He is a NOT a defender. He plays that position because it is the only way he will get playing time at this club. My issue with Moses is which Moses are we going to get? The lackadaisical Moses, the Selfish Moses, or the unplayable Moses?
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

Very much in line with my thinking. Mikel to drop deeper. I also thought about Moses at right wing back, but that would cause us to lose Ebuehi who has impressed me. So what about Ebuehi at right wing back with Moses on the bench? Iwobi further forward, with Etebo as an alternative? Still not convinced about Ighalo. I would give Simy Nwankwo a punt.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Otitokoro wrote: Moses is absolutely NOT our best attacking threat (not sure where you got that from). His recent performances have helped bring that fact to fore.
Not sure what you mean, the last game we won was because Moses created a PK out of nothing. He is clearly one of if not our best attacking players when on form, so lets hope he is on form at the WC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Imagine!!! you of all people? oh the irony :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Otitokoro wrote:Really? So, why don't you advocate for Ndidi to play as center back (and not as a DM which he is extremely good at)?
You position a player in a lineup based on his STRENGHT. You use club performance to gage that strenght (Ndidi, Iwobi, etc).

Moses is absolutely NOT our best attacking threat (not sure where you got that from). His recent performances have helped bring that fact to fore. As EII rightfully pointed out, he needs to be played as a right wingback (or make way for someone more productive). This is the World Cup and we need to get serious, folks. All the experimenting needs to stop.
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

More important is the player's role for the national team! Moses offer more as the forward that he is than playing as a FB. And who else is our best attacking threat other than moses? He may be the most frustrating player we have, but he is about the only one capable of conjuring a goal or pk out of nothing.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

marutimon wrote:I fully agree.
You fully agree to what?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

We are supposed to be educated adults therefore, we must engage in critical thinking. Just about every Nigerian National team coach, from Amodu to Rohr has played Mikel in a more advanced role than he did for Chelsea. That is unequivocally because Nigeria’s needs are quite different from Chelsea’s. Our national coaches seem to have grasped the fact that the holding and defensive midfielder roles are not Mikel’s natural role, even though he’s talented enough to play those roles better than most. Indeed, at his current club, he plays extremely efficiently at the more advanced role. We all witnessed what happened in 2014 when, at the World Cup, Stephen Keshi decided to play him at the more Chelsea-like role. Even though he had some moments of near brilliance, he rendered a somewhat generally subdued performance. So, the question I have for you bloggers in general is, What is your pedigree in football and, in particular, coaching that makes you think all those coaches are wrong and you are right :?: :!:

Cheers.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: It is nonsensical to suggest that Victor Moses plays as a wingback when we all know that when he is up for a match, he is our most lethal threat going forward
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:I think I will log off CE for the duration of the World Cup because some of the views being espoused here will make me lose my temper.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Many people here has become coach Rohr. I read these things, SHAKE my head and move-on.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

smartbrother wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Details here:

We are supposed to be educated adults therefore, we must engage in critical thinking. Just about every Nigerian National team coach, from Amodu to Rohr has played Mikel in a more advanced role than he did for Chelsea. That is unequivocally because Nigeria’s needs are quite different from Chelsea’s. Our national coaches seem to have grasped the fact that the holding and defensive midfielder roles are not Mikel’s natural role, even though he’s talented enough to play those roles better than most. Indeed, at his current club, he plays extremely efficiently at the more advanced role. We all witnessed what happened in 2014 when, at the World Cup, Stephen Keshi decided to play him at the more Chelsea-like role. Even though he had some moments of near brilliance, he rendered a somewhat generally subdued performance. So, the question I have for you bloggers in general is, What is your pedigree in football and, in particular, coaching that makes you think all those coaches are wrong and you are right :?: :!:

Cheers.

Mikel did not play any "Chelsea-like role" at the 2014 world cup.