The World Cup is already beset by empty seats; FIFA baffled

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet
The World Cup is already beset by empty seats; FIFA baffled

Post by Cmoke »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/soc ... b44f778574

The World Cup is already beset by empty seats, and FIFA is baffled
Matt Bonesteel, The Washington Post Published 1:29 pm, Friday, June 15, 2018

You may have noticed something strange during Friday's World Cup match between Uruguay and Egypt at Ekaterinburg Arena in Russia: swaths of empty seats, helpfully visible to television viewers in bright orange. It must have come as an even bigger surprise to Russian World Cup officials, considering they added temporary seating that jutted outside of the arena in anticipation of big crowds for world soccer's quadrennial tournament.

FIFA, meanwhile, is baffled. It estimates that there were 6,000 empty seats for the Uruguay-Egypt game.

"We can confirm that 32,278 tickets have been allocated for the match between Egypt and Uruguay in Ekaterinburg," a FIFA spokesman told the Telegraph's Ben Rumsby. "The Fifa World Cup stadium capacity is 33,061. The fact that the current attendance doesn't reflect the amount of allocated tickets can be due to different factors, which Fifa is currently investigating."

Doing the math, that comes out to about 5,217 no-shows on top of the 783 unsold seats, leaving the stadium at just 82 percent capacity.

Less-than-full stadiums have "become a perennial problem at major sporting events, including at recent World Cups," Rumsby wrote. "Large numbers of tickets distributed to national football associations often go unsold, while some end up in the hands of touts unable to sell them on.

"Sponsors, who are allocated a certain number of tickets as part of their backing of an event, have also become notorious for no-shows."

FIFA tried to cut down on ticket reselling this year by mandating that fans both purchase tickets and register for a Fan ID, which nominally would connect the ticket-buyer to the exact ticket they purchased. Tickets then are checked against each person's Fan ID at the stadium gates. But fans can purchase up to four tickets apiece and change the attached registered name on three of them, a loophole scalpers have exploited. Associated Press reporter James Ellingworth said scalpers were plainly visible in Moscow on Thursday ahead of the opener between Russia and Saudi Arabia and wrote that he was approached six times within an hour.

"You just need ID," one seller told Ellingworth, offering him two tickets that had been issued under Russian men's names while standing next to an official ticket office sign that said "tickets are not available for most games."

World Cup scalpers in Russia can be punished by a fine of up to 25 times the ticket's face value. According to the AP, FIFA has further attempted to crack down by canceling some tickets and filing a criminal complaint against resale website Viagogo.

Ekaterinburg, site of Friday's Uruguay-Egypt game, is the World Cup's easternmost outpost this year, two time zones, a more than 24-hour train ride and more than 1,110 miles from Moscow. That also may have played into the empty seats, as fans not willing to make the trip unloaded their tickets to resellers who couldn't find any takers.

Empty seats may be an issue throughout group play: Martyn Ziegler of the London Times reports that tickets are (legally) still available for 16 group games, including England's opener against Tunisia on Monday.
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: The World Cup is already beset by empty seats; FIFA baff

Post by Bell »

WELL, SPEAKING FOR MYSELF...

...I think the whole process was too complicated - it looked like you have to get your FanID before you can get a ticket; but to get a FanID, you need a ticket. I'm sure I could have figured it out but I thought they made it too complicated. And that's before, because of the size of Russia, you figure in all the internal travel arrangement and lodging. That's why yours truly will be watching them on TV.
Bell
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

On my part - I cant bring myself to watch it. This will be my 9-10th World Cup.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

It was an easy process and that’s why I’ll be there.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Bell wrote:WELL, SPEAKING FOR MYSELF...

...I think the whole process was too complicated - it looked like you have to get your FanID before you can get a ticket; but to get a FanID, you need a ticket. I'm sure I could have figured it out but I thought they made it too complicated. And that's before, because of the size of Russia, you figure in all the internal travel arrangement and lodging. That's why yours truly will be watching them on TV.
Bell
No it wasn't complicated. Once you have the ticket you get an electronic fan id which is enough to get you in the country. Plus they dhl the id to you and if u don't get it before you step in the country, there are many booths set up at the airport and places in town to get it. First step is to buy the ticket and everything else flows. Per accommodation u can get them online and elsewhere but you're paying a premium for obvious reasons.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS