Argentina 1 vs Iceland 1 (Match Thread) FT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 1 vs Iceland 1 (Match Thread) FT

Post by txj »

Coach wrote:Argentina needed the cushion of three points, especially as they've yet to define themselves. Napoleon is very much a Bielsalyte and would rather play with a hard press and back three, Argentina are too old where it matters and too incompetent elsewhere. They're in trouble. Deep trouble.
You may be right, but would not dismiss them at this stage. They were always going to grow into this, and tactically, this may well be their most difficult game, given the way we and Croatia play.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Yeye apari Maschenaro, did the Icelandic organization confuse them as well?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 1 vs Iceland 1 (Match Thread) 2H

Post by oloye »

Cellular wrote:
truetalk wrote:
oloye wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
tunde72 wrote:Seriously can we beat this Iceland?
Yes if we play to our strengths.
What is our strength
Why are you talking like this?

Anyway, we can definitely beat Iceland and likely will.

They probably see us as their best opportunity to get a win and are likely to come out to play against us.

That should play into our hand.
Right there!

They will come out to play against us because they see us as the easiest 3 points they can get.

We will need to use our pace and dribble to get them to commit.
No sire they won't necessarily come out and play against us because they feel we are the easiest. They will come out to play to their best. What we saw today was a team who defended when they needed to and tried to attack when they had the opportunity. If we allow them to attack they will attack us and would also defend like they did today if they have to.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

cruxifixoy2k wrote:Iceland and Croatia going thru. Iceland will beat Nigeria and Croatia and Croatia will beat Nigeria and Argentina. That's my prediction.

Good, now you can watch the games without fear. :biggrin:

I feel your pain :rotf:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I fancy Nigeria against Argentina and Croatia than this Icelandic team. I am not saying both teams are easy opponents, I fancy them simply because they would play open and do not have the sort of discipline Iceland have shown.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

We have to be ready for a battle today against physical Croatia. Play solid defense and hit them quickly on counters. Mikel, Ndidi and Etebo must dominate the middle. Full backs must focus on defending. Protect Uzoho.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
truetalk wrote:
oloye wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
What is our strength

They probably see us as their best opportunity to get a win and are likely to come out to play against us.

Right there!

They will come out to play against us because they see us as the easiest 3 points they can get.

Will be shocked if they change their basic approach in any of their games
Teams like that always do. You can't qualify on 3 draws, & you must come out if you lose one of your 1st 2 games.

Iran, in the last WC, sat back against us & Argentina. Almost got away with it to, but conceded in the final moments of their 2nd game, so they had to come out against Bosnia & got stomped.

You will probably not qualify with 3 draws, so you have to choose 1 game to play a little, or hope for gifts from a team like Morocco.
Last edited by truetalk on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cruxifixoy2k
Egg
Egg

Post by cruxifixoy2k »

zee wrote:
cruxifixoy2k wrote:Iceland and Croatia going thru. Iceland will beat Nigeria and Croatia and Croatia will beat Nigeria and Argentina. That's my prediction.
I think we will beat Iceland if our keeper does his basic duty.
The Icelanders are trained to defend against textbook teams/players.........In the SE, they will be meeting a team that thrives on 'organized disorganisation' and that will frustrate them.
I wish am wrong and you are right. The Super Eagles play does not give me confidence especially the defense and the goal keeping.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

truetalk wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
truetalk wrote:
oloye wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
What is our strength

They didn’t change even when down by a goal. Neither have they from the Euros

Right there!

Will be shocked if they change their basic approach in any of their games
Teams like that always do. You can't qualify on 3 draws, & you must come out if you lose one of your 1st 2 games.

Iran, in the last WC, sat back against us & Argentina. Almost got away with it to, but conceded in the final moments of their 2nd game, so they had to come out against Bosnia & got stomped.

You will probably not qualify with 3 draws, so you have to choose 1 game to play a little, or hope for gifts from a team like Morocco.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

txj wrote:
zee wrote:
charlie wrote:
txj wrote:
charlie wrote:YES!!!
Great result for the group.
Don’t know about that.

Simple Math. Only 2 get to qualify. You dont want any one team to get a clear advantage early in the group phase.

1-1 was the best result for Nigeria and Croatia (just as a draw will be the best result for Argentina and Iceland).
The result means nothing to us, if both teams wins their next 2 games...... they qualify.
Even if we win Croatia, draw against Iceland and lose to Argentina and Iceland wins Croatia then a draw against Croatia is enough for Argentina to qualify with Iceland.
Meaning that both Iceland and Argentina will qualify with 5pts , leaving us with 4pts and Croatia with 1pt.
Thanks. Surprised people don’t realize a loss would’ve virtually eliminated one opponent
Don't try to prove more clever than everyone else.

Just like our WCQ group (actually, even more so), draws in the 2 games not involving us, mean we top the group if we can win our 1st 2 games. Draws are best in games not involving us IF we can win.

We have to take our destiny in our hands.
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

oloye wrote:I fancy Nigeria against Argentina and Croatia than this Icelandic team. I am not saying both teams are easy opponents, I fancy them simply because they would play open and do not have the sort of discipline Iceland have shown.
That could work for or totally against us.
Last edited by Ekorian on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Ekorian wrote:
oloye wrote:I fancy Nigeria against Argentina and Croatia than this Icelandic team. I am not saying both teams are easy opponents, I fancy them simply because they would play open and do not have the sort of discipline Iceland have shown.
That could for or totally against us.
I agree,I am not taking it for granted. Would rather play a team that gives us the opportunity to attack them back by being weak at the rear.

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

ANC wrote:I am not sure how this is a good result for SE. What am I missing here?
If Argentina lost, that opens them up against SE.
If Island lost, it does the same thing for SE.

I for one, would have loved to see Island win.
It was the best result for SE IMO.
If SE wins today, means they don't have to open up against Iceland given it is not a must win game. SE can play on the counter - arguably when we are at our strongest. If Iceland had won, SE will not beat them in the 2nd game as Iceland will sit back. So far, we have seen that this SE team finds it very difficult to break down compact defense

Regardless of SE`s result today, the tie in the earlier gm is still a good result for SE. If we lose, will only be 1pt behind 2nd place and still have to play both teams.

All of a sudden, winning today will set us up very nicely for qualification from the group. Time for the eagles to fly!!!!!
Last edited by analyzer on Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tx, Croatia will have too much in the midfield for Argentina. They're too slow in transition and possession. This was a dreadful result given the order of their games, thy would've preferred Nigeria next. So much was wrong about their shape, lack of penetration out wide, what exactly does Di Maria bring to a football field. Messi was far too far from Aguero, who in turn was too small to play the lone gunman. What was the point of their fullbacks today, but were the epitome of useless. Big decisions have to be made by Napoleon, he has to change the shape, be it to a 4-3-1-2 to give more support to Aguero and room for Messi, sacrificing width given their useless fullbacks or go to a back three with wingers instead of wingback. More of the same and they're gone. Cant help but feel there halfway out the door without a massive rethink.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Odas wrote:
ANC wrote:I am not sure how this is a good result for SE. What am I missing here?
If Argentina lost, that opens them up against SE.
If Island lost, it does the same thing for SE.

I for one, would have loved to see Island win.
At least, Argentina did not win which would have given the three points and put them in a very good position to advance, by ONLY drawing their remaining games
Exactly

Also it is always good when your rivals drop points.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Ekorian wrote:Messi post match. " I didnt get help from Suarez today"
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
My son was shouting at me over the phone: "You see the difference between the GOAT and The Bum?" Of course referring to Ronaldo's performance yesterday, and Messi's today. Messi na serious choker on the Big Stage. :lol: He better win this WC, or he will drop out of any serious discussion of the GOAT. Al B Sure, biko come out of hiding, and defend your boy. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

oloye wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
That could for or totally against us.
I agree,I am not taking it for granted. Would rather play a team that gives us the opportunity to attack them back by being weak at the rear.
So true!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Argentina 1 vs Iceland 1 (Match Thread) 1H

Post by ohsee »

Coach wrote:
txj wrote:
Coach wrote:Argentina, hopeless, Messi dropping deeper than Prodigy's second verse on Hell on Earth. Pathetic from the Albiceleste, not sure what those two jokers from the domestic league are doing, waiting for a signed shirt from Leo presumably. Dogsh*t. Island on the other hand have been fair play, cranking it up, long throws and corners, they'll be sitting on their stall smiling. Seconds out, round seven.
Premature ejaculation?
"15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance." Geico Car Insurance.
Coachiiiiiiiiiiiitoooooo! You be real crase man. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote:Loved the game.
Loved how resolute the Icelandians were.
Very tough defense.
You can't walk the ball into their goal. You have to take shots and hope for rebounds.
But with the goalie, good luck with that.
These guys can play.
And they play within themselves.
They know who they are and they do it well.
Ogbuefi, I kpom dis your post well-well. Can you please take the talking stick from txj and make sure he does not get it back? Thank you. :D
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...ayam scared shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit :shock: :shock: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Coach wrote:@Tx, Croatia will have too much in the midfield for Argentina. They're too slow in transition and possession. This was a dreadful result given the order of their games, thy would've preferred Nigeria next. So much was wrong about their shape, lack of penetration out wide, what exactly does Di Maria bring to a football field. Messi was far too far from Aguero, who in turn was too small to play the lone gunman. What was the point of their fullbacks today, but were the epitome of useless. Big decisions have to be made by Napoleon, he has to change the shape, be it to a 4-3-1-2 to give more support to Aguero and room for Messi, sacrificing width given their useless fullbacks or go to a back three with wingers instead of wingback. More of the same and they're gone. Cant help but feel there halfway out the door without a massive rethink.
...don't give the Argies ideas.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

danfo driver wrote:
ANC wrote:
Odas wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Image

make we dance :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Make we dance smol. We go dance beta and bigar wen we win Croatia

Book marked
LOL Dude! You look like you are about to cry! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Fine! You think Croatia will beat the crap out of us! Fine! Who cares! Its just a game. life will move on, no matter what happens. Please, live your life... and be happy! Jeeeez!! we have heard you!
Leave am!
Na serious panic dey worry am.
So all this his fake lafta na cover up.
Emotional insurance: If we lose he can say "I talk am". If we win, he'll be happy anyway.
He needs to man up and face front. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Means they’ll likely be coming into the last game against us needing a result which might not bode well for us.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!