Way too passive to win a game at the World Cup

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Way too passive to win a game at the World Cup

Post by Bell »

WHO KNOWS...

...Ighalo may not be the problem. The problem may be isolating him upfront with his suppliers nowhere in sight. With him alone taking on the defense it's easy to see how the attack dies and, in this and other games, that is why Nigeria's offense has been mostly impotent. The ineffective defensive scheme is another matter.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

cchinukw wrote:I hope you guys can appreciate our local coaches more.

YEP...

...this time, the NFF is not the problem. I wonder what they'd be saying if the coach were Nigerian. It would be interesting to see how the right Nigerian coach would perform in an enabling environment like this.
Bell
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

niyi wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:I’ve been giving Rohr the benefit of the doubt but it’s difficult to go on making excuses for him. He needs to redeem himself by overhauling this team. Uzoho, Ekong, Etebo and Idowu need to be confined to the bench. Ighalo, what can I say? 73 minutes and not one credible shot on goal. Rohr better start Nacho in the next game; and bench Moses if he continues with his useless, wasteful antics :!:

Cheers.
Na wa that’s a lot of changes, I don’t see that happening but the Ighalo experiment has to end at some point, I think now is as good as any.
Not necessarily. Its very difficult to blame him totally for the lack of support behind him. Re-watch how Croatia played with their target men. they knocked down ball after ball for runners from the midfield to shoot at goal. Mikel as much as he is trying just isnt playing close enough to Ighalo. The long balls to him are not accurate enough either and considering his height, i doubt that's the best way to utilize him. If they insist on going that route, Simi might actually be a better option for him.

Personally, i think we need to ditch this super restrictive formation that we are playing. We don't have the players to break down teams. Also, it is almost criminal that they still can not defend corner kicks. One disappointing player for me today was Etebo, he had an ok game but played with his wings clipped. Time and time again, he turned back and passed the ball back to his CB.
Wasn't his fault...no runners ahead of him. I've seen him take initiative and drive through the midfield but he's understandably being cautious in a world cup game.
There were a couple of open passes in the first half on the wing for him that he missed. Also, as for runners, there was no room whatsoever for runners for a majority of this game once we got the ball due to our labored build up. Croatia has time to set 10 players behind the ball in their half.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The ones who couldn't qualify for ANCs....?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

The YeyeMan wrote:
The ones who couldn't qualify for ANCs....?
That would be the much hyped Oliseh.

Amodu still alive did it with ease twice.

Don't forget NFA/NFF roadblock as well.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:I’ve been giving Rohr the benefit of the doubt but it’s difficult to go on making excuses for him. He needs to redeem himself by overhauling this team. Uzoho, Ekong, Etebo and Idowu need to be confined to the bench. Ighalo, what can I say? 73 minutes and not one credible shot on goal. Rohr better start Nacho in the next game; and bench Moses if he continues with his useless, wasteful antics :!:

Cheers.
Na wa that’s a lot of changes, I don’t see that happening but the Ighalo experiment has to end at some point, I think now is as good as any.
Not necessarily. Its very difficult to blame him totally for the lack of support behind him. Re-watch how Croatia played with their target men. they knocked down ball after ball for runners from the midfield to shoot at goal. Mikel as much as he is trying just isnt playing close enough to Ighalo. The long balls to him are not accurate enough either and considering his height, i doubt that's the best way to utilize him. If they insist on going that route, Simi might actually be a better option for him.

Personally, i think we need to ditch this super restrictive formation that we are playing. We don't have the players to break down teams. Also, it is almost criminal that they still can not defend corner kicks. One disappointing player for me today was Etebo, he had an ok game but played with his wings clipped. Time and time again, he turned back and passed the ball back to his CB.
But wasn’t that Etebos role as the holding midfielder? He also did drive and spray some forward passes.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Cheers.

But wasn’t that Etebos role as the holding midfielder? He also did drive and spray some forward passes.
But yes, let's play him behind Mikel.... :roll:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Cheers.

:scared: :scared: Whatya talkin 'bout Willus?

Even the other 2 were OK, except for Ekong's bearhug, & while I personally rate Awaziem higher, outside of yesterday's penalty, Ekong has earned his starting shirt with the Eagles.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Sorry O! I responded Immediately I saw Tony the aspiring comedian's post.

I didn't know you people had harassed the guy with responses.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

mystic wrote:Not good enough. If we're not going to be more aggressive offensively we'll be heading home early. Rohr has got to change his approach.

We need a balance where we tweak this team for more attacking power but maintain a defensive solidity. Rohr has to change but he has to be brave in making his changes. It is a testing time. I will do it this way.

I'd play Mikel along side Ndidi because we need a player to improve our passing game from the deep positions. The Croats pressed us out of building our attacks from deep. We desperately needed a deep lying play maker or passer, just like the used Modric.

Another reason why I believe the team will better served with Mikel next to Ndidi is, Mikel will not be exposed in those wide spaces up front where he neither has the pace or stamina to press and defend. Attacking, he is not a liability in the advanced role but defensively, he is a major problem. If next to Ndidi, he covers less ground and Ndidi will do some of the running for him.

My solution will be to move Etebo as the box to box CM, with Iwobi and Moses along side him. Etebo is the perfect player to give the defensive, solidity aligned with the defensive balance. Also, with Etebo in there, we have the option of Nacho as striker, giving us pace aligned with fluidity of movement.

Mikel seeing a pass from deep for the movement of Etebo, Moses and Alex is something we do not have from deep positions. We do not have the option of the long pass from deep for a runner, this makes us predictable and easier to defend against.

Jay Jay has a point, but I do not agree with him on Alex being the play maker. We can have Iwobi, Etebo and Moses working together as a unit, have a look at the Mexicans right vs. Germany.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Waffiman wrote:
mystic wrote:Not good enough. If we're not going to be more aggressive offensively we'll be heading home early. Rohr has got to change his approach.

We need a balance where we tweak this team for more attacking power but maintain a defensive solidity. Rohr has to change but he has to be brave in making his changes. It is a testing time. I will do it this way.

I'd play Mikel along side Ndidi because we need a player to improve our passing game from the deep positions. The Croats pressed us out of building our attacks from deep. We desperately needed a deep lying play maker or passer, just like the used Modric.

Another reason why I believe the team will better served with Mikel next to Ndidi is, Mikel will not be exposed in those wide spaces up front where he neither has the pace or stamina to press and defend. Attacking, he is not a liability in the advanced role but defensively, he is a major problem. If next to Ndidi, he covers less ground and Ndidi will do some of the running for him.

My solution will be to move Etebo as the box to box CM, with Iwobi and Moses along side him. Etebo is the perfect player to give the defensive, solidity aligned with the defensive balance. Also, with Etebo in there, we have the option of Nacho as striker, giving us pace aligned with fluidity of movement.

Mikel seeing a pass from deep for the movement of Etebo, Moses and Alex is something we do not have from deep positions. We do not have the option of the long pass from deep for a runner, this makes us predictable and easier to defend against.

Jay Jay has a point, but I do not agree with him on Alex being the play maker. We can have Iwobi, Etebo and Moses working together as a unit, have a look at the Mexicans right vs. Germany.
I find it astonishing that the coaches who are paid to do this for a living cannot see this.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Cheers.

It was his role, hence my reference to him playing with his wings clipped. It was a waste playing him there. He definitely drove forward a lot more in the second half, but in the first half, he kept turning and passing the ball back
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

We played very disjointedly in the first half. Ighalo was totally isolated. I cannot fault our goalkeeper for the goals. He would have saved the first goal had there been no deflection. The penalty was too harsh. Many teams have done that, and no penalty was given. Mandzukic was no where near the ball.

Eagles failed to express themselves. They played as though nothing was at stake. Extremely passive. In the second half, I thought they would show some urgency, but they started again with the same players. We played Argentina in the last world cup and attacked them to the end. We lost but no one questioned our effort. We played Spain in the confederation cup, and made them look vulnerable. Italy observed how Nigeria exposed the feared Spanish team and beat them when they met. We should play the way we know how to-- which is to attack.

The Croats knew we were waiting to counter attack, so they put 11 men behind the ball when they lost possession. In this game, you have to create your own luck. If you don't attack, you won't get many free kicks and corner kicks. It is from these set pieces that they got a lucky bounce.

Today, Mexico played their own game, and beat the Germans. I think we should play the way we naturally know how to. If we are in the lead, we can perhaps relax and wait to counter. But for the remaining matches, we should attack. Argentina are vulnerable at the back.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Elexus wrote:We played very disjointedly in the first half. Ighalo was totally isolated. I cannot fault our goalkeeper for the goals. He would have saved the first goal had there been no deflection. The penalty was too harsh. Many teams have done that, and no penalty was given. Mandzukic was no where near the ball.

Eagles failed to express themselves. They played as though nothing was at stake. Extremely passive. In the second half, I thought they would show some urgency, but they started again with the same players. We played Argentina in the last world cup and attacked them to the end. We lost but no one questioned our effort. We played Spain in the confederation cup, and made them look vulnerable. Italy observed how Nigeria exposed the feared Spanish team and beat them when they met. We should play the way we know how to-- which is to attack.

The Croats knew we were waiting to counter attack, so they put 11 men behind the ball when they lost possession. In this game, you have to create your own luck. If you don't attack, you won't get many free kicks and corner kicks. It is from these set pieces that they got a lucky bounce.

Today, Mexico played their own game, and beat the Germans. I think we should play the way we naturally know how to. If we are in the lead, we can perhaps relax and wait to counter. But for the remaining matches, we should attack. Argentina are vulnerable at the back.
You hit the nail on the head right there. Which is why we must take risks and set up with a 3-5-2 from the get go. If all we are doing is sitting back & inviting pressure, then the 'theatre of operations' shifts to our half & around our box & that is when deflections for own goals, dead ball situations, penalty kicks & other things that cause us to concede happen around our box.

If we are setup to attack, we create opportunities, & we will still get those counter attacking opportunities during the game. The likes of Ebuehi, Etebo & Iwobi can pull a counter on any team with neck breaking speed.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

truetalk wrote:
Elexus wrote:We played very disjointedly in the first half. Ighalo was totally isolated. I cannot fault our goalkeeper for the goals. He would have saved the first goal had there been no deflection. The penalty was too harsh. Many teams have done that, and no penalty was given. Mandzukic was no where near the ball.

You hit the nail on the head right there. Which is why we must take risks and set up with a 3-5-2 from the get go. If all we are doing is sitting back & inviting pressure, then the 'theatre of operations' shifts to our half & around our box & that is when deflections for own goals, dead ball situations, penalty kicks & other things that cause us to concede happen around our box.

If we are setup to attack, we create opportunities, & we will still get those counter attacking opportunities during the game. The likes of Ebuehi, Etebo & Iwobi can pull a counter on any team with neck breaking speed.
Yep, once they don’t give us the space to counter we are done b/c we can’t break down defenses with smart quick passing. Only time I’ve seen us do it is vs Argentina but Rohr refuses to try those players again.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!