Okocha - Mikel should have been played as DM

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jb
Egg
Egg
Re: Okocha - Mikel should have been played as DM

Post by jb »

Otitokoro wrote:The fact is, I fully concur with JJ on this, as this is basically the exact same thing a few of us said prior to the WC.
Link: Complete Sports Nigeria
Okocha Blames Rohr For Super Eagles Defeat To Croatia
By Johnny Edward:

Former Super Eagles captain Austin Okocha has slammed Gernot Rohr for his poor tactical approach in Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Croatia in their opening game at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
An own goal from Oghenekaro Eteno and a penalty from Luka Modric extended Nigeria’s winless streak in opening World Cup game to four.

Okocha who starred for Nigeria in three FIFA World Cups in 1994, 1998 and 2002 also faulted the team’s poor defending which led to the two goals conceded in each half.

“It was a decent first half but maturity was the edge the Croatian team had over the Nigerian team,” Okocha said on SuperSport, where he was a guest analyst, after the game.

“The Super Eagles got done by the movements of the Croatian team in their box. The Super Eagles midfielders were not doing their best both in defending and in attack.

“Eagles didn’t geg the best out of Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses because the manager was trying to accommodate Mikel Obi in the team.

“The manager didn’t earn his money today. We were not a threat in the first half and I was expecting him to play three at the back, five players in the midfield and two strikers to the team a chance to get back into the game.

“It is sad because I know we can do better than this. Of course there is still hope but we have to do it the hard way now.

“These (Croatians) are world class players who know how to win by exploiting little details.”

Okocha also blamed Rohr for deploying Mikel in the creative role.

“We didn’t have a creative player today,” the former Nigeria No.10 added. “Mikel has been a good servant to the national team. His best position is playing in front of the defence. We saw what he did playing for Chelsea where he had a glorious career.

“The most creative player in that team is Alex Iwobi but he was played on the flanks. He (Iwobi) can play on the flanks at Arsenal because they had better players in that role like Mesut Ozil.

“The reason why we lost was because we played our best players out of their positions.

“Playing Mikel in that position didn’t help Moses and Iwobi on the flanks.”
you r da man. modric was playing deep to keep their team in shape, but Mikel was left to wonder like a chicken without a head against a well drilled team that had a game plan. Rohr could have easily accommodated all there: Moses, Mikel and Iwobi.
jb
Egg
Egg

Post by jb »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Cellular how far with all ya football nous, come collect some gbosas immediately :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Professionals have to tell you the OBVIOUS!
Hahahahaha desperation to turn to Okocha for a technical report of the game?

Iwobi was wasted out wide. I wouldn't drop Mikel for Iwobi. Rather if I must start Iwobi I will play 3-5-2 to accommodate him.

The game needed us to be able to operate from both flanks.

We also needed the experience of Mikel... the engine of Etebo and Ndidi.

So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?

You are here where most pundits are saying we were done by lack of experience and you want to either drop Mikel or play him in a role he doesn't have the legs to cover the distance you want out of that position.

Okocha is talking like someone who hasn't watched the games this team has played without Mikel... and with Iwobi playing the so-called 10 role.

This game was even in spite of the questionable tactics and strategy deployed by Rohr. That is why folks are pissed off at him. If we were played off the park, it is one thing. But to deploy a tactics and strategy that didn't play to our strengths is downright disgraceful.
It is not disgraceful, but ignorant and suspect. As a matter of fact, it appears to be more ignorant than suspect because all he needed to do was to push the reset button early in the game, but did the unimaginable, to sub Mikel. What an Eghu.
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Otitokoro wrote:The fact is, I fully concur with JJ on this, as this is basically the exact same thing a few of us said prior to the WC.
Link: Complete Sports Nigeria
Okocha Blames Rohr For Super Eagles Defeat To Croatia
By Johnny Edward:

Former Super Eagles captain Austin Okocha has slammed Gernot Rohr for his poor tactical approach in Nigeria’s 2-0 defeat to Croatia in their opening game at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
An own goal from Oghenekaro Eteno and a penalty from Luka Modric extended Nigeria’s winless streak in opening World Cup game to four.

Okocha who starred for Nigeria in three FIFA World Cups in 1994, 1998 and 2002 also faulted the team’s poor defending which led to the two goals conceded in each half.

“It was a decent first half but maturity was the edge the Croatian team had over the Nigerian team,” Okocha said on SuperSport, where he was a guest analyst, after the game.

“The Super Eagles got done by the movements of the Croatian team in their box. The Super Eagles midfielders were not doing their best both in defending and in attack.

“Eagles didn’t geg the best out of Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses because the manager was trying to accommodate Mikel Obi in the team.

“The manager didn’t earn his money today. We were not a threat in the first half and I was expecting him to play three at the back, five players in the midfield and two strikers to the team a chance to get back into the game.

“It is sad because I know we can do better than this. Of course there is still hope but we have to do it the hard way now.

“These (Croatians) are world class players who know how to win by exploiting little details.”

Okocha also blamed Rohr for deploying Mikel in the creative role.

“We didn’t have a creative player today,” the former Nigeria No.10 added. “Mikel has been a good servant to the national team. His best position is playing in front of the defence. We saw what he did playing for Chelsea where he had a glorious career.

“The most creative player in that team is Alex Iwobi but he was played on the flanks. He (Iwobi) can play on the flanks at Arsenal because they had better players in that role like Mesut Ozil.

“The reason why we lost was because we played our best players out of their positions.

“Playing Mikel in that position didn’t help Moses and Iwobi on the flanks.”
A bit correct by JJ, but he should stop being political.
While we still had ample time in SE training & preparation, JJ should have talked about wrong SE players criteria for invitation, selection & training.
Okocha10
Egg
Egg

Post by Okocha10 »

JJ is stating the obvious, anybody who disagrees with his assessment of the game is not been honesty. Mikel is not an attacking player, why accomodate him in that position? if he doesn't have the legs to play his natural position then he should be dropped simple. You do not win games with sentiments.
<b> EGBON MEKUS OF CYBEREAGUS</b>
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Mikel is a Nigerian legend, but we are nearing the point where he might no longer be indispensable.

If he doesn't want to play DM, I say we drop him before the 2019 AFCON.

Play Iwobi as CAM, bring in new blood such as Nwakali as well.

We are nearing the point where we stand to lose more from playing Iwobi out of position than we would by dropping Mikel. So if the issue is based on ego, well Mikel should have a quick look at his age-counter, and also acknowledge the fact that he becoming a 70 minute a game player. So he is not as 'Big' as he thinks he is.

He is a legend, so hopefully it doesn't come to that. The greatest loss from dropping Mikel would be due to his invaluable experience. So hopefully he comes to the right conclusion. It would be desirable to have a smooth transition.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Mikel did nothing yesterday, he is not a playmaker and will never be, Mourinho changed him and he should be playing deep like Modric did, yesterday needed more dynamism, we had nothing, we were too static, doing the same thing for 90 minutes expecting a different outcome
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote: So Okocha would've done what exactly? Dropped Mikel deep to take the place of?
Etebo.

Don't let your dislike of Okocha blind you to the realities of what he's saying.

I'd expected Nigeria to come out fighting and aggressively press the Croatian back line. Then I saw Mikel right behind Ighalo and I knew the jig was up.

What was the game plan? Football is a simple game; put players in their best positions to optimise your chances of winning. It's time for Rohr and Mikel to quit their delusion.
I see both points of view. But I'd play Mikel along side Ndidi because we need a player to improve our passing game from the deep positions. The Croats pressed us out of building our attacks from deep. We desperately needed a deep lying play maker or passer, just like the used Modric.

Another reason why I believe the team will better served with Mikel next to Ndidi is, Mikel will not be exposed in those wide spaces up front where he neither has the pace or stamina to press and defend. Attacking, he is not a liability in the advanced role but defensively, he is a major problem. If next to Ndidi, he covers less ground and Ndidi will do some of the running for him.

My solution will be to move Etebo as the box to box CM, with Iwobi and Moses along side him. Etebo is the perfect player to give the defensive, solidity aligned with the defensive balance. Also, with Etebo in there, we have the option of Nacho as striker, giving us pace aligned with fluidity of movement.

Mikel seeing a pass from deep for the movement of Etebo, Moses and Alex is something we do not have from deep positions. We do not have the option of the long pass from deep for a runner, this makes us predictable and easier to defend against.

Jay Jay has a point, but I do not agree with him on Alex being the play maker. We can have Iwobi, Etebo and Moses working together as a unit, have a look at the Mexicans right vs. Germany.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
mutiman
Egg
Egg

Post by mutiman »

niyi wrote:Rohr is the only person in the world who doesn't see whay seems to be obvious to everyone else. Iheanacho should strike and Iwobi should play the advanced midfield role behind him. 3 friendlies and he never implemented this
Maybe the issue isn't that Rohr doesn't see the problem, but rather that the personality cult around Mikel makes it difficult for Rohr to tell Mikel to play were it's best for the team, and not were Mikel wants to play.
Eagles have always had this going back a long time, players becoming bigger than the team.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

I understand Okocha's match analysis. But he is missing the point here. Naija didn't lose this game because of Mikel or anybody else. Naija lost the game because of Naija. There is no two ways about it! We are mediocre and average at best at everything. Piss poor infrastructure. Players psychology is seriously lacking in Naija!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Tbite, did you see Oga Iniesta vs Portugal? Ten kings, ten eras.
mutiman
Egg
Egg

Post by mutiman »

Tbite wrote:Mikel is a Nigerian legend, but we are nearing the point where he might no longer be indispensable.

If he doesn't want to play DM, I say we drop him before the 2019 AFCON.

Play Iwobi as CAM, bring in new blood such as Nwakali as well.

We are nearing the point where we stand to lose more from playing Iwobi out of position than we would by dropping Mikel. So if the issue is based on ego, well Mikel should have a quick look at his age-counter, and also acknowledge the fact that he becoming a 70 minute a game player. So he is not as 'Big' as he thinks he is.

He is a legend, so hopefully it doesn't come to that. The greatest loss from dropping Mikel would be due to his invaluable experience. So hopefully he comes to the right conclusion. It would be desirable to have a smooth transition.
This post sums up our problem. The fact that Mikel is a legend, means that somehow he must be accommodated in the team at all costs even if he no longer merits a starting place as an attacking midfielder(not sure he ever did) and he's not willing to play as a defensive midfielder.
Just witnessed another legend in Rafael Marquez come on for Mexico for the last few minutes against Germany. He still has a role within the Mexican team but not as a starter, and he has to accept it. Indeed, in the time he was on, he used his vast experience to influence the game. If he was Nigerian, he would most probably be a starter and might even get to decide which position he wants to play in.