After the kettle cools....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: 10 observations I have to make about the Croatia game

Post by ohenhen1 »

Uzoho
Omeruo, Ekong, Balogun
V Moses, Ndidi, Iwobi, Mikel, Idowu
Iheanacho, Ighalo

1. Work on set piece defending. Omeruo, Ndidi, and Balogun will mark the tallest guy. Man marking, no zone marking. Ekong will be taken off the tallest attacker on set pieces. Stop flick ons and 2nd opportunities on crosses and corners.

2. Victor Moses instructed to stop diving.

3. Mikel and Ndidi will be the DM. One will join the attack at a time. One will stay back to cover the fullbacks. One full back will attack at a time. When we are on defense. we will be in a 6-3-1 formation with Ndidi sliding in between the three central defenders and the wing backs coming back to stop the attacking wingers.

4. When we are attacking, we will be in a 3-5-2 formation. Iwobi making runs into box. Ndidi or Mikel joining the attack. Wing backs joining the attack. Iheanacho, Iwobi and Ighalo will have free roles. Can go outside in, or inside out to create space for Iwobi to attack the box.

5. Cap Ebuehi
Last edited by ohenhen1 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:[1] First and foremost, what hurts most about the loss is that Croatia did not do anything to deserve a win. On the balance of play and the tame performance of both teams, a 0-0 draw would have been a fair result

[2] If we had lost 0-2 to Spain, I would not have minded but Uzoho was virtually on holiday throughout the game and yet had to pick the ball out of his net twice. Very unfair result if the ask me. We were extremely unlucky. We have played worse than this and won games

[3] From what I saw, the main problem was a lack on spirit, enthusiasm and dynamism from the team going forward. Our problems were all in the last third. We failed to have one shot on target. Where this team is totally lacking is in the area of creativity

[4] Rohr's biggest failing is that he has not taken the issue of a creative playmaker seriously. I have repeatedly said that Mikel lacks the legs for the role but was called all sorts of names on this site. I hope those of you talking nonsense can now see how silly you appear. At 30, Mikel is in the twilight of his career and canot play the one-twp give and goes on the edge of the area. Even at his best, Mikel was never a fast player and lacked the urgency you are looking for in a top class playmaker

[5] I hope all of you who were disparaging my calls for Kelechi Nwakali to be our playmaker can now see how dumb you are. Can you just imagine how he would have taken the inititiative, gone past a few Croatians and had several shots at goal were he playing?

[6] Where Rohr messed up big time was taking Iwobi off instead of Mikel. He should have brought on Iheanacho to play Iwobi's tole out wide and then played Iwobi as his playmaker. A frobnt trio of Moses, Iheanacho and Ighalo with Iwobi playmaking behind them would surely have had a greater impact

[7] Rohr is also obsessed with Shehu Abdullahi and Bryan Idowu for some weird reason. In all fairness, the due performed their defensive functions well but offered us nothing going forward. I put it to you all that Tyronne Ebuehi and Joel Obi as our fullbacks would have made a huge difference. Did Abdullahi or Idowu provide one cross throughout the 90 minutes? Contrast that to the way Šime Vrsaljko was bombing forward all game

[8] William Ekong was responsible for both goals. On the first one he let Mandžukić lost him and get a header then he gave away a penalty for the second goal. Obviously Rohr had told him to mark him tighter of corners and the man got over-enthusiastic. Clearly Ekong has a problem with man-marking. We had more corners than the Croatians and never threatened them but alas, whenever we defended a corner, Ekong was in trouble. Is it too late to bring in a defensive coach to drill the boys on this?

[9] Mikel is clearly not fit as the Chinese league has been on a break and only just resumed. What Rohr should have done is get him and Igalo, to train with a European team when their league was off. This would have ensured they are fully fit for the World Cup

[10] Despite our loss, I am not going to panic and make rash and wholesale changes to our team. that would be irrational, irresponsible and tantamount to flying off the handle. For our next game, I would like to see this line-up:

****************************************ISimy*******************************************

**********************Moses****************************Iheanacho*********************

*******************************************Iwobi*****************************************

*************************Ndidi******************************Etebo***********************

***Joel*****************Balogun*********************Ekong******************Ebuehi***

******************************************Uzoho*******************************************

Ighalo aand Mikel should not be starting games going forward
****************************************ISimy*******************************************

**********************Moses****************************Iheanacho*********************

*******************************************Iwobi*****************************************

*************************Ndidi******************************Etebo***********************

***Joel*****************Balogun*********************Ekong******************Ebuehi***

******************************************Uzoho*******************************************
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Your top striker and playmaker play in the Chinese league and you expect miracles, sorry Nigerians are as crazy as they come
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

zee wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:It is counter productive not to admit that there were various flaws in the selection:

1. Ighalo - 73 minutes and no credible shot on goal. Need I say more? Nacho, anyone?

2. Uzoho - I can’t possibly be the only one who’s observed that he reacts poorly to grounders and is often positionally unaware. He might have had a chance to save Etebo’s blunder had he been where he should have been and not rooted in the center of goal.

3. Etebo - Given that we opted to sit back, Ogu might have been a better option.

4. Idowu - A downright liability. Iwobi saved us quite a few blushes by tracking back to defend against incursions from the right flank.

5. If Moses persists with his wasteful antics of diving then replace him with Musa.

We need more experience and our best talent on the field against Iceland. That means Echiejile, Ezenwa, Ogu and ihenacho :!:

Cheers.
God will punish you 20 times a day for suggesting we play liabilities like Ezenwa and Echiejile. If they had played yesterday, we would have lost by 5-0.

Can I please beg you to stop commenting on my threads because you are simply too damn annoying. Slow Ogu who gives fouls away needlessly. Please just go away!
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Watching Serbia - Costa Rica. Serbia is a team with comparable players to Croatia and play similarly.
The game is very similar to ours. With one difference - Costa Rica is actually actually with intent.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

I've said it before and I stick by it. Ayo has said it and Vancity has said it.

Long term: Nwakili is the play maker along with Iwobi.

We don't need Naija born defenders but an infusion of both Naija and foreign born players. Diversity makes us stronger.

Short term:

In any case, for the remaining games, we MUST play a 3-5-2.

Mikel must drop.

Iwobi must play the 10. Period. No matter how inexperienced.

Ebuehi must bench Shehu.

Iheanacho and Ighalo/Simy should be the two strikers. Defense starts at the top.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

chuks69 wrote:Iwobi never played the #10 in the qualifiers.. Remember against SA, in Uyo, no Mikel, Etebo was handed the #10 role, we were toothless in the attack.. Personally, I would ask the coach to go 4-4-2 and ask Mikel n Ndidi to play as Central MFs.. Striking paring of Ihenacho and Ighalo and have Iwobi and Moses on the wings..
played against argentina
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Nigeria models its game after the South Americans frew flowing style, then you hire a German coach, that Rohr has taken out flair from that team and replaced it with discipline, that same line up will not beat Croatia
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

In the minority here.

I won't have started Iwobi. I would have started him from the bench if the intent was to play cautiously. Would have started Ahmed Musa at the other flank to provide width on both sides of the pitch. This would have created enough stress on the Croatian fullbacks and would free up Ighalo. Ighalo did his job. I have no qualms about his performance.

We actually dominated (I will say held our own) in the midfield. Didn't notice the so-called big names from Croatia. Their midfielders did a lot of defending and didn't play a lot in our own half.

Now, if we must accommodate Iwobi we should change formation to accommodate him. Like his uncle JJ early on in his intentional career, he is not good enough to start in a 442 with the present personnel. If I were to use two strikers I will play both Ighalo and Ihenacho at the same time.

Back to coaching. We casual fans have identified each of our opponents good headers of the ball... both in friendlies and in the first game of the World Cup. What are our scouts and coaches doing? We should not be arrogant to mark them one-on-one. Double them. No shame in that.

Next game is against Iceland. We better have more options to deal with corners and freekicks.

Lastly, if VicMo doesn't want to stay on his feet he should not be starting. Referees do get a dossier on players... they know ones who throw themselves to the ground. They don't typically get the benefit of the call.

What was most annoying watching the game was that Croatia didn't play us anything that deserved the scoreline.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Agbako
Egg
Egg

Post by Agbako »

what are you guys happing about? Na wah oooo. This team is down and out. After the 2010 oldmen performance in South Africa this is the worst assembled Nigerian team ever. Horrible soccer . No style, no bite. No idea,. No aggressiveness. So what hope you guys talking about here. You have a clueless coach who is admitting the team he played is better because the players play in a better club. Haha!! You have ya only suppose star player falling down on every contact. You still depending on a completely finished Mikel Obi to carry you for 90 minutes? I thought you all know football.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Agbako wrote:what are you guys happing about? Na wah oooo. This team is down and out. After the 2010 oldmen performance in South Africa this is the worst assembled Nigerian team ever. Horrible soccer . No style, no bite. No idea,. No aggressiveness. So what hope you guys talking about here. You have a clueless coach who is admitting the team he played is better because the players play in a better club. Haha!! You have ya only suppose star player falling down on every contact. You still depending on a completely finished Mikel Obi to carry you for 90 minutes? I thought you all know football.
That statement by the coach still irks me.

Enough grounds to have him fired.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:In the minority here.

I won't have started Iwobi. I would have started him from the bench if the intent was to play cautiously. Would have started Ahmed Musa at the other flank to provide width on both sides of the pitch. This would have created enough stress on the Croatian fullbacks and would free up Ighalo. Ighalo did his job. I have no qualms about his performance.

We actually dominated (I will say held our own) in the midfield. Didn't notice the so-called big names from Croatia. Their midfielders did a lot of defending and didn't play a lot in our own half.

Now, if we must accommodate Iwobi we should change formation to accommodate him. Like his uncle JJ early on in his intentional career, he is not good enough to start in a 442 with the present personnel. If I were to use two strikers I will play both Ighalo and Ihenacho at the same time.

Back to coaching. We casual fans have identified each of our opponents good headers of the ball... both in friendlies and in the first game of the World Cup. What are our scouts and coaches doing? We should not be arrogant to mark them one-on-one. Double them. No shame in that.

Next game is against Iceland. We better have more options to deal with corners and freekicks.

Lastly, if VicMo doesn't want to stay on his feet he should not be starting. Referees do get a dossier on players... they know ones who throw themselves to the ground. They don't typically get the benefit of the call.

What was most annoying watching the game was that Croatia didn't play us anything that deserved the scoreline.
4-4-2 ???

Anyway, I have no problem with Iwobi starting or with your preference to start Musa. The problem isn't about the personnel in my view; it's the coach. He's timid and average. Thankfully he'll be gone soon; Pinnick better chose his replacement wisely.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Cellular wrote:
Agbako wrote:what are you guys happing about? Na wah oooo. This team is down and out. After the 2010 oldmen performance in South Africa this is the worst assembled Nigerian team ever. Horrible soccer . No style, no bite. No idea,. No aggressiveness. So what hope you guys talking about here. You have a clueless coach who is admitting the team he played is better because the players play in a better club. Haha!! You have ya only suppose star player falling down on every contact. You still depending on a completely finished Mikel Obi to carry you for 90 minutes? I thought you all know football.

The coach came to Nigeria to get paid not work, there is a clear difference, just a typical German Yahoo Yahoo man but he is white, so it is acceptable

Marko
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Cell I think Iwobi is good enough in a 4-4-2, his pace of transitioning the ball is what we have lacked in the final 3rd. He doesn't have the full creativity of his uncle but good movement around him will create the options and openings. He and Etebo should alternate going forward in a 4-4-2 set up against Iceland.

Against Argentina we go 3-5-2 to keep the m/f compact and pile pressure on Argentina's aging defence line.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Cellular wrote:

But the Truth is bitter!

If Nigeria got two players playing fro RM and Barca, I am sure we will expect to win the WC.

FIFA ranking, player for player shows that the Croats should IDEALLY beat us . However, on a good day we can spring a surprise. We are not good enough. We cannot blame NFF nor blame corrupt local coaches for this one. Maybe this is just our LEVEL!

Admitting the reality may be the first step to greatness for us.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

wanaj0 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

But the Truth is bitter!

If Nigeria got two players playing fro RM and Barca, I am sure we will expect to win the WC.

FIFA ranking, player for player shows that the Croats should IDEALLY beat us . However, on a good day we can spring a surprise. We are not good enough. We cannot blame NFF nor blame corrupt local coaches for this one. Maybe this is just our LEVEL!

Senior Uncle, we don't follow convention.

There's a reason when you see a black person doing something black people are not supposed to be doing, he is a Naijarian.

We play without fear. When you play us, you leave the game knowing you played a game. Hoping not to jam us again.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Let's ask a very direct question, do any of our players individually make effort to improve themselves.
I ask because I was reading about how Ronaldo after training spends up to another hour practicing free kicks

Why after all the years playing in Europe our players can't whip a decent cross or attack a free kick

This is an age old problem and it can always be a difference against hard teams like Croatia, Serbia and England

Every worker strives to improve performance

I don't know if it's laziness or genuine lack of ability
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:

4-4-2 ???

Anyway, I have no problem with Iwobi starting or with your preference to start Musa. The problem isn't about the personnel in my view; it's the coach. He's timid and average. Thankfully he'll be gone soon; Pinnick better chose his replacement wisely.
The man's 'quality' is his ability not to rock the boat. Get owed and not make noise...

His coaching acumen is highly questionable.

Ps. on the 442 it doesn't matter how you want to spread out the personnel it is still a 442. 4-2-3-1 with a CM pushing up to support the attacker. This team is not a bad team. They weren't played off the park. They just looked tipid... like a cold akamu. We played like North Africans at the World Cup.
Hope Senegal comes out with West African style of football. Power and speed... without fear.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Odas wrote:I am very frustrated right now!. All of you are making sense and yet are not making sense to me. I agree with Ayo we were very unlucky yesterday because in reality, I didn't see what the Croatians did either, except getting the two goals due to luck. Still, what did we do to get the goals back and have a draw - at least?

Let me ask you experts again, what happened to our 3-5-2 rampaging formation which has showed a lot of success in our friendly games when used? At no time did I think we will lose the game until after we conceded the penalty and yet made "NO" attempt to switch to the 3-5-2 formation.

Mennh! I am pissed and my BLOOD is still BOILING over the loss.
Oda: Mr. Rhor was in charge. None of us watching. The Croats did their best to disrupt the play of Nigeria by continuously fouling Nigerians. Even a sure penalty when Moses was brought down in the penalty box. Few of those constant fouling were given.
I am pained that we could have won this game had the coach made the right decision.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Cellular wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

But the Truth is bitter!

There's a reason when you see a black person doing something black people are not supposed to be doing, he is a Naijarian.

We play without fear. When you play us, you leave the game knowing you played a game. Hoping not to jam us again.
Yes what FAN will think but not based on reality. We were playing a team with better players and more experience so the outcome is not shocking. Right now, no NFF nor local coach to blame. This may just be our level all things considered. We can start to IMPROVE once we come to this realization.

Enough of the blame game and crucifying players who gave their all (even if it is not enough). Any other result would have been a surprised. We should stop behaving as if we are favourites.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Cellular wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
Cellular wrote:

But the Truth is bitter!

Ogbuefi,
you and wanaj0 are both correct o. He is not wrong, and you are not either.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

akamoke wrote:Let's ask a very direct question, do any of our players individually make effort to improve themselves.
I ask because I was reading about how Ronaldo after training spends up to another hour practicing free kicks

Why after all the years playing in Europe our players can't whip a decent cross or attack a free kick

This is an age old problem and it can always be a difference against hard teams like Croatia, Serbia and England

Every worker strives to improve performance

I don't know if it's laziness or genuine lack of ability
I've been asking the exact same thing here for how long now. I'm sure if I do a search I'll find my posts. I remember watching a report on Beckham during his ManU days staying back after training to practice taking like 100 free kicks. Same with Messi and Ronaldo who Carlos Tevez claims spent hours of personal time working out in the gym knowing he's gonna need that physical advantage.

I don't think our players do anything to improve themselves outside of their official team engagements. Ronaldo, Beckham, Messi all take personal time to practice their free kicks and cross deliveries. Same with Scholes and Lampard. Same on other sports with Kobe, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller, Jason Kidd, LeBron etc who all spend hours of personal time on the court working on their game. It's nurture over nature. Our guys are content once they start getting forex. They don't strive to want to be better. Imagine Mikel was content with riding the bench at Chelsea during his prime years when he shouldn't been angling for more playing time and a bigger role. Look at Omeuro he's "been at Chelsea" for how many years now and seems at peace with it. Why not insist on a bigger role or a trade abs her on your ability to thrive elsewhere? I know other non Nigerian players do it but not when they're supposedly regulars for their country. I think for many of our players, money is not just their main motivation but their ONLY motivation to play. Ronaldo you can tell wants to be the best there is. Others want to be the best they can be.

Moses, Musa, Mikel all of them are still terrible at taking set pieces, their shot taking is haphazard, to me it seems once official training is done, so are they.

Okocha is the only player I can remember improving his set piece technique and shot taking accuracy.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯