How should SE lineup against Iceland?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is how Mexico and Peru played Iceland

Post by The YeyeMan »

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Why didn't you show us how Mexico beat Croatia 3-1 in the last WC? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We can never play like Mexico or even Peru. Our players do not have the lungs for that kind of football.
Its so crazy we are so pedestrian while Mexican players are so dynamic.
We have players out of their optimal positions; our attacking build up is often pedestrian and predictable. And we're coached by a nice guy coward. Hope that sums it up. :D
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: How should SE lineup against Iceland?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Who merged this here?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kali
Egg
Egg
How Super Eagles Can Start Scoring Against Iceland

Post by kali »

I am going to use Ayo's ten pointers format

1) We need long range passing. Who can make those passes? John Ogu, Mikel, Iwobi, Omeruo and Etebo

2) We need players that can make runs to spread the defence wide. Who are those? Iheanacho, Musa, Moses, Ebuehi and Nwankwo.

3) We need attackers who can dribble through tight spaces. Who are those? Iwobi, Victor Moses and Etebo.

4) We need to re-orient our attack from short build-up possession football to one that bursts through the middle or from the wings and makes key long passes to runners.

6) We need to play John Ogu and Omeruo because both offer significant passing range from deep.

7) We need to play Iwobi and Etebo in the middle to make quick passes and dribble from the center

8) We need to play either Iheanacho and Nwankwo or Iheanacho and Musa up top.

9) We need to play Moses at Right Wing Back to make runs and dribble in to the center for surprise.

10) My preferred formation for Iceland is:

----------- Omeruo --------- Balogun --------- Ogu ---------

-----Moses ---- Ndidi ---- Iwobi ---- Etebo ----- Idowu ------

---------- Nwankwo --------------------- Iheanacho ----------

Subs:

1) Mikel for Etebo
2) Ighalo for Nwankwo
3) Ebuehi for Moses
Chimex101
Egg
Egg
Re: How Super Eagles Can Start Scoring Against Iceland

Post by Chimex101 »

kali wrote:I am going to use Ayo's ten pointers format

1) We need long range passing. Who can make those passes? John Ogu, Mikel, Iwobi, Omeruo and Etebo

2) We need players that can make runs to spread the defence wide. Who are those? Iheanacho, Musa, Moses, Ebuehi and Nwankwo.

3) We need attackers who can dribble through tight spaces. Who are those? Iwobi, Victor Moses and Etebo.

4) We need to re-orient our attack from short build-up possession football to one that bursts through the middle or from the wings and makes key long passes to runners.

6) We need to play John Ogu and Omeruo because both offer significant passing range from deep.

7) We need to play Iwobi and Etebo in the middle to make quick passes and dribble from the center

8) We need to play either Iheanacho and Nwankwo or Iheanacho and Musa up top.

9) We need to play Moses at Right Wing Back to make runs and dribble in to the center for surprise.

10) My preferred formation for Iceland is:

----------- Omeruo --------- Balogun --------- Ogu ---------

-----Moses ---- Ndidi ---- Iwobi ---- Etebo ----- Idowu ------

---------- Nwankwo --------------------- Iheanacho ----------

Subs:

1) Mikel for Etebo
2) Ighalo for Nwankwo
3) Ebuehi for Moses
something tells me Simy Nwankwo paired up with Nacho will be the answer to our lack of goals'
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

kali wrote:
Subs:

1) Mikel for Etebo
2) Ighalo for Nwankwo
3) Ebuehi for Moses
Uncle kali, maybe I do not understand the essence of subs. Aren't they the levers used to tweak a game, if required? How do you pre-select subs when you cannot predict the outcome of the game? Abi you don begin fetch water for shrine with PaJ?
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Riche007 wrote:
kali wrote:
Subs:

1) Mikel for Etebo
2) Ighalo for Nwankwo
3) Ebuehi for Moses
Uncle kali, maybe I do not understand the essence of subs. Aren't they the levers used to tweak a game, if required? How do you pre-select subs when you cannot predict the outcome of the game? Abi you don begin fetch water for shrine with PaJ?
Yes but in the case of Iceland what our strategy should be is to score as many goals as possible.

If we are ahead:

1) I would rest Etebo and play Mikel to change the momentum of the game
2) I would keep Iwobi on as the AM to get him to play 90 minutes in that role
3) I would rest Nwankwo and try the Iheanacho - Ighalo combination
4) I would rest Moses and try Ebuehi as a faster, direct wing back

If we are behind:

1) I would sub Etebo for Mikel and have the defensive midfield sit deeper
2) Have Mikel spray passes to a higher sitting attack from deep
2) Push Iwobi further forward closer to the two strikers
3) Bring Ebuehi in to run up the wing and try crosses to Nwankwo
4) Switch Nwankwo with Ighalo for ground play
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The tools are all there to beat Iceland. It's just a matter of the football coward getting the right players, formation, and tactics. Any of the following in a 532

**********************************UZOHO******************************************

**************TROOST****************BALOGUN*************OGU/OMERUO*************

EBUEHI/MOSES****************************************************ETEBO/MOSES/IDOWU

*************************NDIDI******************MIKEL/ETEBO***********************

**************************************IWOBI***************************************

*************************IHEANACHO************IGHALO/NWANKWO********************

it really ain't that hard to figure out. A few options here, but anything outside of these options is pure madness and stupidity.

I don't trust our feckless football coward coach to get it right.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

If there was ever a game that we needed to start on the front foot, it is against Iceland.

Iceland do not settle deep immediately, in the early exchanges they are more dynamic. They see how the game is evolving, before they completely camp in defense.

I say we pour everything into the first 20 minutes of the match, if that doesn't work, we re-adjust. Also, if there was ever a game where we should be trying speculative shots, this is it. While I am not a big fan of speculative shots (I disliked the likes of Nsofor, Taiwo etc. for that), I think we need to try it.

Everyone always talks about the advantages for the team with 10 men behind the ball, nobody ever talks about the weaknesses (even from a defensive standpoint). Putting 10 men behind the ball is chaotic, because the keeper will not be able to read the ball, and deflections happen!

Argentina did not try out these tactics! All they were doing was trying to get the ball to Messi at all costs, even when a forward was better placed, they would try to work it to Messi. Iwobi struggles to put laces through the ball (but he has of late), Iheanacho, Ighalo, Moses, Ogu, Ndidi etc. need to take their chances early in the match (regardless of how many Icelandic players are behind the ball).

They CANNOT account for the unpredictability, they simply cannot! They will concede cruel deflections, corner kicks, maybe even a goal! So practice for all eventualities. Moses must beat the first man in the corner, without over-hitting it or curving it too near to the keeper. Playing compact has inherent weaknesses, exploit them!
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

But another thing is that Iceland have height! So maybe in set piece situations they can defend those.

but if Moses hits the ball wider away from goal and a player like Ndidi makes a run then that will work too.

Or, we simply bank on the likes of Troost, Simi etc. who do have height.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Synopsis wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
Synopsis wrote:Etebo is not an attacking midfielder. He has always failed when tried at that position.
Etebo played as a left winger and attacking midfielder in portugal. Infact, when he got to Las Palmas he was asked his best position and he said behind the striker. by the way, tell me the games he played as an attacking midfielder and he "always failed as an attacking midfielder".
South Africa
You said always? so i want to know the 3 to 5 times he has played that role for Nigeria
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Go and see the stats on the Nigerian players and tell me again that Etebo should be dropped for Ndidi. By the way I want some to tell what Ndidi did in that match, apart from one short he latched unto. Etebo on the other was the most vibrant on the midfield ,48 passes with 94 percent success rate.

Obviously Ndidi is still rusty or trying to shake off the injury as that was not his normal game. Against Iceland we need people who are ready to run, to run off and run at the Icelandic giants. The only reason I will put Mikel on is because he is still our best passer, his calming influence which will be needed. But he plays from deep, he plays the role he does in Chelsea. He sits in deep allows Etebo to carry the ball up for him. Bring Iwobi into the 10 role , stick Musa on the other wing and Moses on the other side.Ighalo should not have more than 50minutes ,Kelechi deserves more playing time. Perish the idea of trying to play high ball other than to lob a pass behind their defenders for Musa or Moses to run into.

I hope and pray they come out to play so that we can experiment with the space behind them. Drop Shehu for Ebuehi,I need a full back willing to run and not afraid to do it. Idowu stays, not impressed with his forward play, but he defends well and he is better than Uwa even if he is sleeping.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

We are assuming that Iceland would pack the bus. That’s a huge mistake. Just like Sweden in 2002 I’m pretty sure Iceland have bookmarked the match versus Nigeria as a “must win and most winnable.” They will throw everything at us..The question is - can Nigeria stop them?
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
lekanlij
Egg
Egg

Post by lekanlij »

Uzoho
Ebuehi Troost Balogun Idowu
Ndidi Etebo
Musa Iwobi Moses
Ighalo

To me the main problem in the croatia match is that the full backs offer little in attack but suck the wide forwards back to help out with their defensive duties alot. Because our wide forwards face our goal more, this consequently leaves Ighalo isolated without their support, Ighalo is still our best centre forward and should retain his place with good support from our wide forwards.The required covering our full backs need should be provided by the 2 defensive players while the front 4 lead our attack. The full backs need to work harder to join our attack rather than the wide forwards working hard to defend - essentially against croatia we were defending attacking plays with 9/10men and when we had the ball only 1/2 players was ahead of the ball of which one was Mikel whose athletism strangles his obvious talent at this stage of his career.

If we add urgency/ tempo, energy and quick transition to our play we should match the Icelandic team who I expect would approach our game as an intensive one where they wouldn't want us to settle to any rhyme.

The premise is that we would at least concede a goal per match so we need to be very urgent in attack and probe a lot - we can't afford to be complacent.

Subs should be Mikel (for Iwobi) and Iheanancho (wide or central forward) - Simy should be brought in if at all for his heading potential. It's interesting that we take tall players like Utebo and Simy to world cup and rather than try to exploit their height advantage we always try to play the ball to their feet rather than cross it in!!

I think it is too little too late - the croatia match was very important for us and losing that match take the group out of our hands. Iceland would expect Argentina to win against croatia and so they (Iceland) would be keen to beat us to retain control of their qualification - ideally they'll want to beat us by a large score and hope our wide forwards play like they did against croatia.

Iceland would look to score mainly through set pieces and targetting our wings - they don't expect to get in through the wings but would have noticed we double up to defend the wings which in turn would tire and reduce the effectiveness of our attacks especially the role our wide forwards play.

We'll have to beat both Iceland and Argentina to qualify, whereas Croatia need to beat any of the argentia/ iceland to qualify while argentina and iceland need beat us at the least - so we have a very tough job to do.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Video was oft seen leaning over the flat bench, offering a spot and screams of encouragement to 4-4-2, both were lifers, for the former, it was the radio star, the latter, the 3-5-2.

A rigid 4-4-2, as Iceland's is, poses problems for a bog standard 3-5-2, for one, the duopoly out wide, fullback and winger, presents the threat of overload and outnumbering. Much worse, is the squander and ostentation if the wingbacks are pegged back. It then becomes a back five vs four, with no wide out-ball. There have been variations that have reaped reward, Italy's use of Candreva in Euro 2016 and Conte's shape-shifting 3-5-2 that Optimus Prime look like the silver man street statue. Is there the necessary variability in these 3-5-2s championed? If not, it could well be ground down.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Iceland will most likely sit back and invite Nigeria to press and counter. They know the Super Eagles need 3 points and take risks. Even so, this is simply the way Iceland plays against pretty much everybody.

Croatia has a recent history with Iceland. We're 4 - 1 - 1 against them. I've NEVER seen them take the initiative. Even in our 1 loss to them, in our qualifying group for this WC, we dominated.

We didn't create opportunities. We gave up a 90th minute goal: immature, naive, and self implosion. Sound familiar? It resulted in the firing of our coach. Reinvigorating the team, where we're finally playing as a team, maximizing our individual talent.

I doubt we play so conservatively against Iceland in this group play. That's playing with fire, making it a game of chance. Same for Nigeria. It's now or never for the Super Eagles. You have no choice but to attack and go for the win...having faith in your players being able to do it.

Same for Croatia. Exactly the same. We're both going to have to break an Iceland that will try to beat us on a random foray while otherwise parking the bus...the same formula that worked for them in tying Argentina.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

Starting igahlo and Mikel will lose eagles that Match

Let them come in as super sub

**********************************UZOHO******************************************

**************TROOST****************BALOGUN*************OGU/OMERUO*************

EBUEHI/MOSES****************************************************/IDOWU

*************************NDIDI******************ETEBO***********************

**************************************IWOBI***************************************

*************************IHEANACHO************NWANKWO********************
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Uzoho

Shehu Balogun Ekong Elderson

Mikel Ndidi Ogu

Ebuehi Etebo Idowu

We need to be defensive because Iceland are ranked higher than us. You know our boys are young and this squad is a squad for the future.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

lekanlij wrote:Uzoho
Ebuehi Troost Balogun Idowu
Ndidi Etebo
Musa Iwobi Moses
Ighalo

To me the main problem in the croatia match is that the full backs offer little in attack but suck the wide forwards back to help out with their defensive duties alot. Because our wide forwards face our goal more, this consequently leaves Ighalo isolated without their support, Ighalo is still our best centre forward and should retain his place with good support from our wide forwards.The required covering our full backs need should be provided by the 2 defensive players while the front 4 lead our attack. The full backs need to work harder to join our attack rather than the wide forwards working hard to defend - essentially against croatia we were defending attacking plays with 9/10men and when we had the ball only 1/2 players was ahead of the ball of which one was Mikel whose athletism strangles his obvious talent at this stage of his career.

If we add urgency/ tempo, energy and quick transition to our play we should match the Icelandic team who I expect would approach our game as an intensive one where they wouldn't want us to settle to any rhyme.

The premise is that we would at least concede a goal per match so we need to be very urgent in attack and probe a lot - we can't afford to be complacent.

Subs should be Mikel (for Iwobi) and Iheanancho (wide or central forward) - Simy should be brought in if at all for his heading potential. It's interesting that we take tall players like Utebo and Simy to world cup and rather than try to exploit their height advantage we always try to play the ball to their feet rather than cross it in!!

I think it is too little too late - the croatia match was very important for us and losing that match take the group out of our hands. Iceland would expect Argentina to win against croatia and so they (Iceland) would be keen to beat us to retain control of their qualification - ideally they'll want to beat us by a large score and hope our wide forwards play like they did against croatia.

Iceland would look to score mainly through set pieces and targetting our wings - they don't expect to get in through the wings but would have noticed we double up to defend the wings which in turn would tire and reduce the effectiveness of our attacks especially the role our wide forwards play.

We'll have to beat both Iceland and Argentina to qualify, whereas Croatia need to beat any of the argentia/ iceland to qualify while argentina and iceland need beat us at the least - so we have a very tough job to do.
ighalo doesnt score for national team. Play Simy instead
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:Uzoho

Mikel Ndidi Ogu

Ebuehi Etebo Idowu

We need to be defensive because Iceland are ranked higher than us. You know our boys are young and this squad is a squad for the future.
Kaiii, I turned my phone upside down to make sure I wasn’t misreading your lineup :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Enough of the kiddie keeper abeg. Let Nigeria play a semblance of soccer and if lose go home. Senegal played an home based keeper and they did not die and even won.

Ezenwa

Ndidi Omeruo Ekong Echiejile

Ogu Onazi Iwobi

Etobo Iheanacho Moses
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:

Mikel Ndidi Ogu

Ebuehi Etebo Idowu

Kaiii, I turned my phone upside down to make sure I wasn’t misreading your lineup :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
My guy you go shock. You can't smell what the Rohr is cooking.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Mikel Ndidi Ogu

Ebuehi Etebo Idowu

My guy you go shock. You can't smell what the Rohr is cooking.

Anyone still advocating for shehu to start is either a moron or Iceland supporter. Simple and plain
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Without Mikel we will lose. Mikel must start but in a deep playmaker role.