How should SE lineup against Iceland?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: How should SE lineup against Iceland?

Post by truetalk »

**************************************UZOHO****************************************

**************TROOST*****************BALOGUN*******************OGU*****************

EBUEHI************************************************************************IDOWU

*******************************MIKEL*********NDIDI**********************************

**************************************ETEBO*******************************************

*****************************IHEANACHO**********IWOBI********************************
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

truetalk wrote:**************************************UZOHO****************************************

**************TROOST*****************BALOGUN*******************OGU*****************

EBUEHI************************************************************************IDOWU

*******************************MIKEL*********NDIDI**********************************

**************************************ETEBO*******************************************

*****************************IHEANACHO**********IWOBI********************************

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

3 - 5 - 2
Uzoho
Ekong - Balogun - Umeruo
Ebuehi - Ndidi - Etebo - Mikel - Idowu
Iwobi - Nwankwo
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

truetalk wrote:
icee wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:We need to go with a 352 against Iceland.

3 things of the utmost importance when considering the players to prosecute this match.

1. We need physical players that can not be bullied around.

2. We need our smartest and most technical players on the pitch to be able to unlock that defence. The one player who has absolutely no business playing against Iceland is Ahmed "chickenhead" Musa who cannot make any smart moves or passes. He will not get any space to utilize his speed so he will be completely useless. If Rohr even gives this player any minutes against Iceland, it will show how clueless and piss poor he is as a coach.

3. We need our best shooters to be on the pitch for 90 minutes. Iheanacho MUST play 90 minutes, No ifs ands or buts. We may need to score from out far but we need all our shooters on the pitch.

Uzoho in goal

Balogun, Troost, and Ogu at the back 3

Wingbacks is the only place I am unsure. On the right we could either go with Moses or Ebuehi, but Shehu HELL NO.

On the left we could also go with Moses, or possibly Etebo who can run all day

In midfield we have Mikel and Ndidi with Iwobi in the advanced role. This should be obvious.

Up to I go with Ighalo and Iheanacho, with Simmy to come on later in the match.

I will go like this.

**************************************UZOHO****************************************

EBUEHI************************************************************************MOSES

**************************************IWOBI*******************************************

*****************************IHEANACHO**********IGHALO********************************
I like this

Almost there, but not quite.

Drop Moses to the bench as club names don't play football. He has been poor and deserves to be benched. Idowu while not exceptional has done his job effectively. Moses does not have the commitment to tackle & cover while playing for the Eagles & will only cost us.

Move Iwobi upfront just behind Nacho & slot Etebo into the position where Iwobi is currently. I know those 2 (Iwobi & Etebo) would switch as required & hustle non-stop & bury chances.

We start with this team & we have the best chance of winning the next 2 games.

We go with the rubbish conservative setup Rohr put out yesterday & we are out.

`
Moses needs to play the role he is good at which is wing back. Then he will look to pass when he bombs up the wing rather than dive or go on mastubatory dribbles because he will be aware of the need to defend.

I would also test my theory about benching Mikel in the midfield with the iceland game and try someone else. Someone who knows how to release the damn ball on time. Lets give Okocha's suggestion a try

This would be my formation FIRST HALF

Uzoho

Ekong Balogun Ogu
Moses Ndidi Iwobi Etebo Idowu
Ighalo Iheanacho

Then second half we sub Ighalo out, push Iwobi up front to his place, bring in Mikel and push Etebo into the attacking midfield role. Then we know who is good at what:

Uzoho
Ekong Balogun Ogu
Moses Ndidi Etebo Mikel Idowu
Iwobi Iheanacho
kali
Egg
Egg
The Iceland match - back to African style

Post by kali »

Iceland are already working furiously on their laptops looking for flaws in the Nigerian team. They are up against a german coach who only knows how to react.

Nigeria needs to play the Iceland game the African way. Totally creative and unpredictable. We need to dump all the one track players on the bench:

Moses
Mikel
Ighalo
Shehu

This game is for players who are the X Factor.

I would line up the following

Uzoho
Ebuehi Ekong Balogun Idowu
Ndidi Etebo Ogu
Iwobi Nwankwo Iheanacho
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg
Re: The Iceland match - back to African style

Post by Goldleaf »

Iceland will look for:

1) Long throw-ins with someone heading the ball down for his mates to latch onto the 2nd ball.
2.) Corner kicks delivered high and fast into the space in front of Uzoho with Iceland players rushing to head while others wait for the 2nd ball.
3.) Fouls on the wings with free kicks launched into the space between the defence and Uzoho.

Pls take this to the bank and cash it.

BTW If I was managing a side playing Rohr's SE, I will do the same. The only team that will not do it against us is Argentina which makes our match with Argentina more open in my view.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Iceland will be difficult than you can imagine, they will be organised and hard to break down, Nigeria will need to use that individual skill to get something out of the game, all those high balls to Ighalo will not work, i think Rohr will start with the same team and probably the same formation, we just need Nigeria to be a bit adventorous, anything less than a win, they are out, its that simple
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Its entirely up yo Mikel. I hope he goes back to being a water boy as he was @ Chelsea.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

kali wrote:Iceland are already working furiously on their laptops looking for flaws in the Nigerian team. They are up against a german coach who only knows how to react.

Nigeria needs to play the Iceland game the African way. Totally creative and unpredictable. We need to dump all the one track players on the bench:

Moses
Mikel
Ighalo
Shehu

Uzoho
Ndidi Etebo Ogu
Iwobi Nwankwo Iheanacho
If we attack Iceland, we'll lose. They are a side built to absorb punishment and if Messi and co couldn't beat them playing attacking football then we'll wear ourselves down. Your lineup would have been better for the Croatia game, I just don't know what Rohr was thinking. There must be something going on behind the scenes.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
kali wrote:Iceland are already working furiously on their laptops looking for flaws in the Nigerian team. They are up against a german coach who only knows how to react.

Moses
Mikel
Ighalo
Shehu

Uzoho
Ndidi Etebo Ogu
Iwobi Nwankwo Iheanacho
If we attack Iceland, we'll lose. They are a side built to absorb punishment and if Messi and co couldn't beat them playing attacking football then we'll wear ourselves down. Your lineup would have been better for the Croatia game, I just don't know what Rohr was thinking. There must be something going on behind the scenes.
If we attack Iceland the typical African way, WE WILL BEAT THEM! The only reason why Iceland sat back against Argentina was because of Messi. Messi plays the ball close to his feet and and he draws players out and runs into holes looking for exchange passes to score. The antidote to that is sit back and cover up all the spaces. Iceland will NOT sit back and defend deep against us. We don't have a Messi. We must arrive in their box with as many players as possible and take our chances. If we keep Ighalo up on his own again and fail to close on him, forget it.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Goldleaf wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:

Moses
Mikel
Ighalo
Shehu

Uzoho
Ndidi Etebo Ogu
Iwobi Nwankwo Iheanacho
If we attack Iceland the typical African way, WE WILL BEAT THEM! The only reason why Iceland sat back against Argentina was because of Messi. Messi plays the ball close to his feet and and he draws players out and runs into holes looking for exchange passes to score. The antidote to that is sit back and cover up all the spaces. Iceland will NOT sit back and defend deep against us. We don't have a Messi. We must arrive in their box with as many players as possible and take our chances. If we keep Ighalo up on his own again and fail to close on him, forget it.
Goldleaf :clap: . You know your football, take a bow. :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

That 1994 team will murder Iceland, those direct runs from amokachi, the wing play from finidi and amunike, the through balls from Oliseh, the maradona like skill from okocha, they will not know what hit them, even if they throw 10 men behind defence, okocha will find a way to dance round their defence

Well fast forward to Thursday, we need some skillful individuals playing that game, that the only way we will unlock that defence, mikel has to rediscover his 2005 ball play
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

3-5-2 actually gives Nigeria extra bite in attack by allowing an extra striker. The 4-2-3-1 makes the team look so pedestrian. Ighalo is not at his best as a lone striker. His best football was when he played as part of a duo with Deeney at Watford.

If 3-5-2 I would go to:

Uzoho
Balogun-Ekong-Awaziem
Ebuehi-Ndidi-Mikel-Moses
Iwobi
Musa-Ighalo
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

*lone striker strategy can always get cut off once u neutralize the wingers.
*Iwobi plays as a support striker but falls back to help populate the midfield when we are not with the ball
*Moses plays as a traditional right winger with the license to kill. He also has the lungs to keep the leftback in check.
*Eteboo plays on the left side of the midfield like Pogba in Juve, tightening spaces on that side and launching attacks
*MIkel plays the traditional 10 role. With Iwobi in front of him, it reduces alot of pressure of him
*MIkel, Etebo, Ndidi would keep the midfield highly cohesive and we would be able to keep possession.
*Simy gives us something different. Strenght in the air. So moses and co would have more confidence whipping in crosses.
*if Simy pays, i would rather use Ebuehi as he crosses the ball very well else Shehu should play. Teh icelanders are strong and we need Shehu's physicality.
*Joel, Ighalo, Musa and Ogu gives us good options on the bench

*****************Simy
*********************Iwobi/ Kele*****************MOses

********Etebo**********MIkel*************
***********************Ndidi****************

Idowu***********Troost*******Balogun**************Shehu/Ebuehi

***********************Uzoho***********************
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Etebo is not an attacking midfielder. He has always failed when tried at that position.
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Synopsis wrote:Etebo is not an attacking midfielder. He has always failed when tried at that position.
Etebo played as a left winger and attacking midfielder in portugal. Infact, when he got to Las Palmas he was asked his best position and he said behind the striker. by the way, tell me the games he played as an attacking midfielder and he "always failed as an attacking midfielder".
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

chief nfachairman wrote:
Synopsis wrote:Etebo is not an attacking midfielder. He has always failed when tried at that position.
Etebo played as a left winger and attacking midfielder in portugal. Infact, when he got to Las Palmas he was asked his best position and he said behind the striker. by the way, tell me the games he played as an attacking midfielder and he "always failed as an attacking midfielder".
South Africa
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
This is how Mexico and Peru played Iceland

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]

[/video]

send this to Rohr
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is how Mexico and Peru played Iceland

Post by vancity eagle »

Apparently they were missing a few key players in those matches.

As they are a tiny country it hurts them more, when key players are not present.

Their strongest side they fielded in any pre tournament friendly was against Ghana.

Ghana played them off the park, but I think it was because Iceland played an open game.

When Iceland play an open game, they are actually not that great at defending.

They need to beat us, but I hear they may stil sit back and wait for set pieces.

If we can limit set pieces against them we should be fine.

We need guys like Moses, Iwobi, Mikel, Etebo, Ebuehi to DRIBBLE INTO THE BOX AND NOT DIVE, but they may give up a legitmate penalty.

Ghana gave them a lot of trouble when they started to play ON THE GROUND direct and into the box.

In fact we should not even waste our time playing the ball in the air. We should work on short corners, and special plays.

and one last thing that is key.

Iceland will bring everyone forward for set pieces, first thing is to mark them close. 2nd is to work on TRANSITION QUICKLY TO THEIR GOAL ONCE SET PIECE IS DEALT WITH. We can catch them flat footed, but we cannot have the slow ball hugging of Mikel and Moses. We need to go from our end to their end and lightening pace and catch them on a counter, it may be the best chance to breach them. We should see everyone of their set pieces as a potential to break and score.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Bad Belle
why is the Ghana game missing?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

vancity eagle wrote:Apparently they were missing a few key players in those matches.

As they are a tiny country it hurts them more, when key players are not present.

Their strongest side they fielded in any pre tournament friendly was against Ghana.

Ghana played them off the park, but I think it was because Iceland played an open game.

When Iceland play an open game, they are actually not that great at defending.

They need to beat us, but I hear they may stil sit back and wait for set pieces.

If we can limit set pieces against them we should be fine.

We need guys like Moses, Iwobi, Mikel, Etebo, Ebuehi to DRIBBLE INTO THE BOX AND NOT DIVE, but they may give up a legitmate penalty.

Ghana gave them a lot of trouble when they started to play ON THE GROUND direct and into the box.

In fact we should not even waste our time playing the ball in the air. We should work on short corners, and special plays.

and one last thing that is key.

Iceland will bring everyone forward for set pieces, first thing is to mark them close. 2nd is to work on TRANSITION QUICKLY TO THEIR GOAL ONCE SET PIECE IS DEALT WITH. We can catch them flat footed, but we cannot have the slow ball hugging of Mikel and Moses. We need to go from our end to their end and lightening pace and catch them on a counter, it may be the best chance to breach them. We should see everyone of their set pieces as a potential to break and score.
Who will execute these moves you mentioned? The same boys that played on Saturday?

Marko
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Why didn't you show us how Mexico beat Croatia 3-1 in the last WC? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We can never play like Mexico or even Peru. Our players do not have the lungs for that kind of football.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Why didn't you show us how Mexico beat Croatia 3-1 in the last WC? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We can never play like Mexico or even Peru. Our players do not have the lungs for that kind of football.
Its so crazy we are so pedestrian while Mexican players are so dynamic.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!