HAS THIS BEEN DISCUSSED ANYWHERE? WILLIAM TROOST EKONG

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: HAS THIS BEEN DISCUSSED ANYWHERE? WILLIAM TROOST EKONG

Post by wale1974 »

joao wrote:
maceo4 wrote:They've been working on set pieces...thats what Rohr taught them to do...
After one games loss, is your sanity failing?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Ekong won't be the first and the last to Grab and hold in the box.................It's a no no but most people get away with it.

Our real problem was the fact that we failed to pressure their goalie.........................Anything else is just a lame excuse.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

YES, THERE'S HOLDING ALL THE TIME IN CORNERKICKS, BUT...

...I'd never seen that kind of lock that Ekong had on the Croat especially after the ball was in flight. I can see him grabbing before the corner was actually kicked (to distract, frustrate and impede him) and then letting go and employ other roughhouse tactics if necessary but not totally holding on to the man. Really made it an easy call for the ref.
Bell
Last edited by Bell on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

osita wrote:We need Nigerian born defenders. These guys in our dance are too European, don't understand how to defend the African way.
Yeap like the ones that Morocco peppered 4-0 at the CAF Nations Cup :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]Bell[/color] wrote: YES, THERE'S HOLDING ALL THE TIME IN CORNERKICKS, BUT...

...I'd never seen that kind of lock that Ekong had on the Croat especially after the ball was in flight. I can see him grabbing before the corner was actually kicked and then letting go and employ other roughhouse tactics if necessary but not totally holding on to the man. Really made it an easy call for the ref.
Bell
Not only grabbed but wrestled to the ground. It was that reason the ref had to call a penalty. If he simply tugged at him without letting the player go down the ref probably wouldn't have called it.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Where was another back line player Shehu?
Shehu is incapable to help out in this regard.

Ang yet Eze who can provide cover in such a situation was not selected as part of the squad.

Show me what Shehu did that Eze could not do.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Just now a Costa Rican player held no to a Serbian player in the box when Serbia had a corner kick but the ref didn't call for a penalty. Why? Probably because the defender didn't let the Serbian fall down.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

DIMKA76 wrote:I saw one move Mikel made in the middle of the field when Etebo was bringing the ball out of defense. He stood still and right in Etebo's way. Etebo had to direct the ball to the flank so as to avoid a collision. Mikel is on his last legs, never been a high energy player nor possesses a change of gear.

Lastly, I hate to harp on rumors but if his influences on where he plays in the team are true, then he imbalances the whole team. Time to go?

You saw ONE move where something like that occurred. So now that's reason to question his being on the pitch? I saw one move where two Croatian players ended up running into each other in the 63rd or 64th minute. I guess that means one of them must be on his last legs, without a change of gear or just shouldn't have been on the pitch because they ran into each other...unlike Mikel and Etebo in that instance you mentioned.

Dude, Mikel will be fine if he is made to play where he should play. If he refuses to do so(If Rohr talks to him about playing deeper) then Mikel can go kick rocks.

--------------------------------------------
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

wale1974 wrote:Ekong won't be the first and the last to Grab and hold in the box.................It's a no no but most people get away with it.

Our real problem was the fact that we failed to pressure their goalie.........................Anything else is just a lame excuse.
He won't be the first and the last to grab and hold

BUT THAT WASN'T A SIMPLE NORMAL GRAB AND HOLD THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN EVERY MATCH. HE BASICALLY BEAR-HUGGED HIM! You can't leave your hand around the shoulder and neck of the opposing player the entire time and not think the ref wouldn't notice. The defenders that are skillful in the dark arts know about a quick grab here, a touch there to destabilize, as opposed to bringing down the player while holding him THE ENTIRE TIME.

It was not a good game for Ekong. Don't forget the first goal....who lost Mandzukic on the corner kick. Not great .

--------------------------------------------
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Bell wrote:YES, THERE'S HOLDING ALL THE TIME IN CORNERKICKS, BUT...

...I'd never seen that kind of lock that Ekong had on the Croat especially after the ball was in flight. I can see him grabbing before the corner was actually kicked (to distract, frustrate and impede him) and then letting go and employ other roughhouse tactics if necessary but not totally holding on to the man. Really made it an easy call for the ref.
Bell
I have: France - Nigeria 1/8 final in 2014 - Evra on Odemwingie.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

AreaDaddy wrote:He was obviously wrong for going all UFC in the penalty box but I hope referees are consistent with this because this shiiiit goes on all the time and rarely gets punished.
Naaa bro.
They won't be consistent. That's for sure.

But what we don't know is if the ref had given him verbal warnings in the past and was specifically watching him on that corner.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

F360 wrote:
wale1974 wrote:Ekong won't be the first and the last to Grab and hold in the box.................It's a no no but most people get away with it.

BUT THAT WASN'T A SIMPLE NORMAL GRAB AND HOLD THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN EVERY MATCH. HE BASICALLY BEAR-HUGGED HIM! You can't leave your hand around the shoulder and neck of the opposing player the entire time and not think the ref wouldn't notice. The defenders that are skillful in the dark arts know about a quick grab here, a touch there to destabilize, as opposed to bringing down the player while holding him THE ENTIRE TIME.

It was not a good game for Ekong. Don't forget the first goal....who lost Mandzukic on the corner kick. Not great .
The whole truth and nothing but.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

F360 wrote:

The first goal was playing on his mind heavily. The problem with people like Madujic is that not only is he excellent in the air, his movement is probably better than Ekongs. He seems more fluid and nimble.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

wale1974 wrote:
osita wrote:We need Nigerian born defenders. These guys in our dance are too European, don't understand how to defend the African way.
Yeap like the ones that Morocco peppered 4-0 at the CAF Nations Cup :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
No, like the ones who help league teams win titles, gain promotion to the top league and gain a reputation as being amongst the best teams in a league. We do have those kinds of defenders❗️

Cheers.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

F360 wrote:

The play by Ekong was bone-headed but to be fair, Mandzukic initiated the contact aggressively with a swing of his arm and a push off. Ekong reacted in anger :!:

Cheers.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

airwolex wrote:Everybody does it. Peru were far worse against Denmark. The African ref would just warn them before hand. I hated the way the ref blew the game. He didn't really do anything blatantly wrong but all the 50/50s went against us.
You saw what I saw then. All the fouling against the Nigerians, went unpunished and the Croats were fouling us with impunity. Even Moses being brought down in the 18, did not produce any infraction.