Going forward ...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Going forward ...

Post by cchinukw »

Ekorian wrote:
cchinukw wrote:The ABEG supporters will be in for a rude awakening when England take to the pitch this WC. Gareth Southgate's team are ready to pounce on the world. And why not?

While Nigeria is still intent on quick fixes and sleeping in bed with journeymen, perhaps its not too late to look at their elite programs and how they have been gradually yielding fruit.

Check out this FA programme for coach development : https://bursary.thefa.com/about

At this rate, England will beat us any day any time. Like Nigeria too they don't even have the luxury of players who play week in week out and as consistently as the Spanish team.

Yet they are going to play to their strength of direct, fast paced football and go far.
But it is a bit unfair to compare England with Nigeria team.Most of them plays in the EPL and have the familiarity factor while Naijas recently spent couple of weeks together jelling...
...But it's not the first time most of them have played together.

You make it sound like Rohr was hired only last month.

Can I remind you that in less than 3 months of being appointed coach Keshi did wonders with that team?

He even worked in more challenging circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
mutiman
Egg
Egg

Post by mutiman »

realtrouble wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
john12 wrote:We were never beating Croatia. Idk where this arrogance came from but look at their squad and ours and compare player vs player then you will see who has the better players.
If this is the case then Argentina should have beat Iceland 10-0! And we would have lost to Spain in 1998.

This is loser mentality.
Fact Iceland reached the Q/F of the European Cup,
Fact Iceland topped their group which included Croatia, Ukraine and Turkey
Fact Nigeria has failed to qualify for the last two AFCONs
Fact Argentina struggled to qualify for 2018 WC

When you base your opinion on facts and not an emotional diatribe, you will realise that the Nigeria squad is very average.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You make too much sense to be allowed to post here. Most of us just want to blame any and everything, instead of accepting was is obvious.
We could have played better, but it's quite clear we have an average squad populated with quite a few players who are over the hill.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:We were never beating Croatia. Idk where this arrogance came from but look at their squad and ours and compare player vs player then you will see who has the better players.
Loser talk. Croatia were beatable. Go compare Iceland's players with Argentina's.

Too many clowns on this forum at the moment.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Loser talk. Croatia were beatable. Go compare Iceland's players with Argentina's.

Thank you bros............ :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Damunk wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ekorian wrote:For the 1st time, a coach got all he wanted thanks to Pinnick and the NFF yet people are making different excuses for him.
You see it as 'excuses'. Others see it as addressing the reality of our situation.
What makes you think your point of view is the only valid one, if even valid at all?
Doc, check my previous post. I don't have a problem if Rohr is committed but you and I know that even if not sacked, he'll abandon us half way into the journey with some excuses. Please bookmark this thread.
I will, but I have the opposite view.
Just a gut feeling, but I feel he'll stick around for the long haul to finish his 'work in progress' (to borrow the late Keshi's expression).
Its Nigerian fans that will put unbearable pressure on Pinnick to sack him, as you can see already. :)
Under what circumstances do you think he should be sacked?

Here's a couple: if Nigeria fail to score a goal or If Nigeria fails to earn a point then he should be sacked unceremoniously. Look, he comes across as a NICE guy but this World Cup isn't about being nice. If he fails then he should quit or be sacked. It's simple. His utterances have been all over the place - it was OK to listen to the excuses in friendlies but now it's not good enough. He, above all, needs to raise his game in the next two matches.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

True but we could easily have gotten something out of this game luck aside. Does Iceland have better players than Argentina? Do we, for that matter, have better players than Argentina?
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote:
osita wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
I don't want cowards in my thread. Please carry your cowardice and gerrout! :arrow:

Most of the guys on this forum are people that did not watch Nigerian teams in the 80s and 90s. so they come in and talk alot of rubbish. Rohr should be sacked this team is the worst I have seen for a long time.
Rubbish.
Total, emotional rubbish.
You've obviously not been watching football for very long, unlike what you claim.
But he is right. When was the last time a Nigerian team lost by more than one goal at the group stage of a WC? Yes, that's right. 1998. 20 years ago! :oops:

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ekorian wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:Before a coach is hired we have first to decide how we want to play, then hire a coach that is on board with that style. Don't hire a coach and give him control over choosing our playing style.

I don't know about you but I am sick of watching even mediocre teams dominate possession against us and force us to watch SE games with one hand on the Pepto Bismol.

WE should be the ones dictating play, not the ones always on the back foot. We should go into games expecting to dominate possession except when we decide not to.
I've heard it all on CE. Who are the WE that should dictate the play. Delusional fans, internet coaches, EFCC, NFF or Buhari? :rotf:
Think through what you just wrote. Who do you think it would be? :curse:

Wha choo looking at?!
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

You have to wonder how some people on this site get through life when they clearly lack any belief in self.
The YeyeMan wrote:

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Iceland have no star players so they are forced to play as a team, that is even dangerous proposition, you will have to break them down, they will simply not make mistakes, come Thursday, 81 min, scoreline 0-0, 7 minutes to go, Nigeria does not look like scoring, Iceland resolute, as it looks, Nigeria is going out, then NEPA strikes for the last 7 minutes driving Nigerians bonkers, by the time NEPA restores electric, Iceland has nicked in a goal, Rohr cites badluck and inexperience

Just hope this scenario does not play out, Nigeria has to attack attack attack
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

marko wrote:Iceland have no star players so they are forced to play as a team, that is even dangerous proposition, you will have to break them down, they will simply not make mistakes, come Thursday, 81 min, scoreline 0-0, 7 minutes to go, Nigeria does not look like scoring, Iceland resolute, as it looks, Nigeria is going out, then NEPA strikes for the last 7 minutes driving Nigerians bonkers, by the time NEPA restores electric, Iceland has nicked in a goal, Rohr cites badluck and inexperience

You must be the forumer with the most references to NEPA. NEPA must have really left an impression on you as a kid. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Wha choo looking at?!
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
marko wrote:Iceland have no star players so they are forced to play as a team, that is even dangerous proposition, you will have to break them down, they will simply not make mistakes, come Thursday, 81 min, scoreline 0-0, 7 minutes to go, Nigeria does not look like scoring, Iceland resolute, as it looks, Nigeria is going out, then NEPA strikes for the last 7 minutes driving Nigerians bonkers, by the time NEPA restores electric, Iceland has nicked in a goal, Rohr cites badluck and inexperience

You must be the forumer with the most references to NEPA. NEPA must have really left an impression on you as a kid. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Yes i have been watching Super eagles since the 80s, i will never forgive my dad for forcing us to watch these mercenaries, now i am hooked up to the point of not caring anymore, i am supporting England, Nigeria and Sweden for obvious reasons, if they all go out, there are some good countries left, i will watch as a neutral
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Moving forward Drop Mikel deeper, move Iwobi into the middle, push Etebo to the left like he played in Rio and play Nacho up front instead of Ighalo.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Scipio Africanus wrote:Before a coach is hired we have first to decide how we want to play, then hire a coach that is on board with that style. Don't hire a coach and give him control over choosing our playing style.

I don't know about you but I am sick of watching even mediocre teams dominate possession against us and force us to watch SE games with one hand on the Pepto Bismol.

WE should be the ones dictating play, not the ones always on the back foot. We should go into games expecting to dominate possession except when we decide not to.
The main issue selecting the wrong players.
Which is an offshoot of inviting the wrong players.
Which is manifested by not inviting to camp the quality, skillful, creative, good-ball-forward-moving players.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Oguleftie wrote:

Which is manifested by not inviting to camp the quality, skillful, creative, good-ball-forward-moving players.
That is why the NFF must have a playing philosophy. That will determine the kind of players invited.

Wha choo looking at?!
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:

That is why the NFF must have a playing philosophy. That will determine the kind of players invited.
The same corrupt NFF with different agendas that seems to doing the right thing for the 1st time, thanks to Amaju Pinnick should be in charge of inviting players? Nna men!
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ekorian wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:

The same corrupt NFF with different agendas that seems to doing the right thing for the 1st time, thanks to Amaju Pinnick should be in charge of inviting players? Nna men!
If you have a playing philosophy, and ONLY hire coaches with the same philosophy after extreme vetting, you don't have to get involved in anything. Use your brain.

But no, let's not think about what we are doing. Let us just throw our hands up and keep doing things the same way. Maybe in the next 547 years we will get a different result.

Wha choo looking at?!
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:

If you have a playing philosophy, and ONLY hire coaches with the same philosophy after extreme vetting, you don't have to get involved in anything. Use your brain.

But no, let's not think about what we are doing. Let us just throw our hands up and keep doing things the same way. Maybe in the next 547 years we will get a different result.
Playing philosophy ko, dancing philosophy ni. Wasn't that why Nigeria hired a German coach that knows African players having coached 3 others African countries within the last decade? This is WOWORITY at best. And keep up with the insult, that's no more my cup of tea.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ekorian wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Ekorian wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Oguleftie wrote:

Playing philosophy ko, dancing philosophy ni. Wasn't that why Nigeria hired a German coach that knows African players having coached 3 others African countries within the last decade? This is WOWORITY at best. And keep up with the insult, that's no more my cup of tea.
This is how people fail exam. If the NFF had a philosophy of high tempo attacking football, Rohr would never have been hired.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

LET ME TRY TO ADDRESS SOME POINTS BROUGHT UP HERE

PLAYER QUALITY
It's a losing mentality to go on to the pitch overly worried about the top clubs the opponents play for. As correctly pointed out, little countries (Iceland being the most obvious) would freeze with fear before the ref blows the kickoff if that's the case. Iceland thrives with amateur players and part-time coaches beating the likes of England. This is in no way to say talent doesn't matter but you can't go into the field in total awe of the opponent. Nigeria has arrived at a situation where it shouldn't be concerned about opponents' pedigree.

INDIGENOUS vs LOCAL COACHES
Pinnick has done well in many areas but it's now time to start looking inwards for coaches. This means having both a plan and the patience to develop Nigerian coaches to address whatever deficiencies they may have. A foreign coach, given the kind of enabling environment no Nigerian coach has ever been given, is not proving to be the answer. This is a subject that was long and heatedly debated over a long time in this forum. I've proposed ways to develop indigenes but in their haste, a lack of desire to do any difficult thinking and some self-doubt, those ideas are hardly discussed. There are many reasons to stay local but that's for another thread. In the 80's, African countries woke up to the idea that foreign coaches could quickly raise the level of their national team but that was a different world and it's now time to let that template sink naturally to the bottom of the pile.

MARKO's DOMESTIC LEAGUE
He's absolutely right that a well-planned domestic league can thrive in more or less the way he stated it as I've proposed here in the past although I have doubts about the current Nigerian capacity and commitment to planning and waiting patiently for results. Another even more promising version is the regional West African league that I've discussed here but people are very quick to dismiss ideas that have not been adopted first by Europe. (I have to disagree though that age-cheating has anything to do with Nigeria's failure at the senior level since age is not a factor there)
Bell
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Bell wrote:LET ME TRY TO ADDRESS SOME POINTS BROUGHT UP HERE

PLAYER QUALITY
It's a losing mentality to go on to the pitch overly worried about the top clubs the opponents play for. As correctly pointed out, little countries (Iceland being the most obvious) would freeze with fear before the ref blows the kickoff if that's the case. Iceland thrives with amateur players and part-time coaches beating the likes of England. This is in no way to say talent doesn't matter but you can't go into the field in total awe of the opponent. Nigeria has arrived at a situation where it shouldn't be concerned about opponents' pedigree.

Pinnick has done well in many areas but it's now time to start looking inwards for coaches. This means having both a plan and the patience to develop Nigerian coaches to address whatever deficiencies they may have. A foreign coach, given the kind of enabling environment no Nigerian coach has ever been given, is not proving to be the answer. This is a subject that was long and heatedly debated over a long time in this forum. I've proposed ways to develop indigenes but in their haste, a lack of desire to do any difficult thinking and some self-doubt, those ideas are hardly discussed. There are many reasons to stay local but that's for another thread. In the 80's, African countries woke up to the idea that foreign coaches could quickly raise the level of their national team but that was a different world and it's now time to let that template sink naturally to the bottom of the pile.

MARKO's DOMESTIC LEAGUE
He's absolutely right that a well-planned domestic league can thrive in more or less the way he stated it as I've proposed here in the past although I have doubts about the current Nigerian capacity and commitment to planning and waiting patiently for results. Another even more promising version is the regional West African league that I've discussed here but people are very quick to dismiss ideas that have not been adopted first by Europe. (I have to disagree though that age-cheating has anything to do with Nigeria's failure at the senior level since age is not a factor there)
Bell
Well said sir. We have people like Paul Aigbogun who has coached the u20, Managed a South African team and relatively doing well with Enyimba but we'll rather hire a mercenary with no winning mentality.
Last edited by Ekorian on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Ekorian wrote:
Bell wrote:LET ME TRY TO ADDRESS SOME POINTS BROUGHT UP HERE

PLAYER QUALITY

MARKO's DOMESTIC LEAGUE
Bell
Well said sir. We have people like Paul Aigbogun who has coached the u20, Managed a South African team and relatively doing well Enyimba but we'll rather hire a mercenary with no winning mentality.
GBAM to the 2nd power.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Domestic league is the way forward, i have made this statement since i joined CE, Nigeria is a football loving nation, if we want to do well in competitons, we have to invest, its as simple as that, Nigeria should be the centre of Africa when it comes to football

There should be a professional league with billions invested, TV rights sold overseas, players earning decent money, Nigeria should be exporting top talent to Europe similar to the likes of Brazil, Argentina

The transfer fees re-invested in the clubs, in a country of 180 million people, the talent pool should be that they can field 10 different national teams

What Nigeria is doing now is a typical fire brigade approach, looking for Anyone with a Nigerian name irrespective of whether they fit into Nigeria footballing culture or not, also hope the European teams develop our players

I really dont know what can be done, 1994,1998,2002,2010,2014, we look to be going the same way out

One thing i hope, the guys show some passion like the Mexicans, let them lose with pride, i can accept that

Marko