What was the tactical reason for subbing out Iwobi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: What was the tactical reason for subbing out Iwobi?

Post by Coach »

@Akamoke, when have they ever been fit enough? Obiesta is 30 and his legs are gone, Pirlo was how old and dominating? Something tragic happens when they cross the holy grail of 30.
Kendrick Lamar - DNA.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

Its a Goal wrote:In all the friendlies leading up to the WC Iwobi was the player who tried to set up the team's attacking moves and was very effective as the creative midfielder more than as a winger where he was often set up to start. I was surprised to see him come off for Musa in the second half and can only conclude he either had a knock that curtailed his impact or he played to instruction thereby limiting his effectiveness. I personally believe taking Iwobi off was a mistake since Mikel was not stamping his authority on the match and Iwobi could have been moved in centrally to dictate the match.

Rohr took off the player who was most likely to score. Since yesterday, I can't stop thinking that whether the man na "saboteur"
-Simpli fy -
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]deanotito[/color] wrote: I’ve had to answer this question a few times now...and all I can say is that based on my stadium view, it wasn’t a bad sub. Iwobi looked a bit tired and lost before he was subbed. TV may not capture this, but watching the whole field and positioning on and off the ball, I’d say it was a reasonable sub.
I noticed he was out of the picture in the 2nd half but could it be a result of him playing out of position? Switching things up could have made him more effective. Footballers playing at this level, especially at Iwobi's age, don't get tired physically but mentally.
Possibly. Like I said, it wasn’t a bad sub but I can accept a different reality in which a change of tactics/positioning gave him some life. But, based on what I saw, I can’t criticize a coach for taking him out when he did.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Rohr himself obviously had no clue why this was done. When he was asked, he was saying that Alex had a great game and wasn't responsible for the goal.

A real head scratching moment!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

truetalk wrote:Rohr himself obviously had no clue why this was done. When he was asked, he was saying that Alex had a great game and wasn't responsible for the goal.

Bros,

Rohr does not ever want to hurt a player's feelings. Did you expect him to state that Alex played poorly? The fact is Alex had been one of the best SE players for several games now but against Croatia he was far from that form and his substitution should not be a head scratcher. Did you think he was one of Nigeria's best in that game? Leave the matter of playing him out of position. While that may be true it is also true that he had been one of the best Nigerian players out wide except against Croatia. Thus, playing him out of position was not responsible for him being off form.

Today we are hyping Etebo and yes he was one of the best player against Croatia but he has not always been that. Go look at the thread after the South African game. My point is that we vacillate from one player to the other based on one game. But one thing that we and Rohr cannot be is GOD i.e. we cannot know ahead of time who will play best. What we have is simply an idea, an imperfect one at that, of what may (MAY) happen. No more.

Please take a look at the data below on the Nigeria v Croatia game:

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/977/Sho ... ia-Nigeria
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

I thought Iwobi had a very poor game esp in the first half, he kept loosing the ball trying to dribble. But he was one of our few direct players that would run at the opponent, unfortunately he wasn’t beating them.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

maceo4 wrote:I thought Iwobi had a very poor game esp in the first half, he kept loosing the ball trying to dribble. But he was one of our few direct players that would run at the opponent, unfortunately he wasn’t beating them.
KPOM. That he was substituted is NOT a mystery, if you were watching the game carefully.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wanaj0 wrote:
akamoke wrote:The only way Rohr can revive himself is to throw caution to the wind and get us back to our attacking ways, but this is highly dependent on how fit the players are, and if they are not, why not?
Not when you have a striker who has not scored in like 7 matches and a 19year old keeper who is 3rd choice for his low level club!

Rohr will continue to play a cagey game.
...do we have 30 year old keeper that is 1st choice at his top level club? Note, no SE player is in a top level club, albeit a couple.
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Enugu II wrote:
truetalk wrote:Rohr himself obviously had no clue why this was done. When he was asked, he was saying that Alex had a great game and wasn't responsible for the goal.

Bros,

Rohr does not ever want to hurt a player's feelings. Did you expect him to state that Alex played poorly? The fact is Alex had been one of the best SE players for several games now but against Croatia he was far from that form and his substitution should not be a head scratcher. Did you think he was one of Nigeria's best in that game? Leave the matter of playing him out of position. While that may be true it is also true that he had been one of the best Nigerian players out wide except against Croatia. Thus, playing him out of position was not responsible for him being off form.

Today we are hyping Etebo and yes he was one of the best player against Croatia but he has not always been that. Go look at the thread after the South African game. My point is that we vacillate from one player to the other based on one game. But one thing that we and Rohr cannot be is GOD i.e. we cannot know ahead of time who will play best. What we have is simply an idea, an imperfect one at that, of what may (MAY) happen. No more.
I am trying to answer the question that was asked on the title of this thread. I am also having a hard time time figuring what you are talking about? Maybe I am not just smart enough?

There were a couple of obvious moves that needed to be made in the game even very early on. You can go back to the game thread. A number of us on here were saying it. For starters, Etebo & Mikel needed to switch positions & we were clearly making no progress with Mikel in the AM position.

And yes, Iwobi & Etebo were some of the few bright spots & potential sparks/catalysts on the field yesterday. In addition to occasionally dropping deep to get the ball and driving forward, Iwobi had a goal bound shot that would have likely beaten the keeper blocked by a Croatian defender who put his body on the line.

He looked like our biggest goal scoring threat & was substituted in a game we were chasing. A lot of Nigerian fans (including the thread starter and most commenting on here) were as disappointed and confused as Alex Iwobi looked when the substitution occurred (from the camera shots we saw).

Rohr was asked about it & he responded with some nonsensical gibberish that had nothing to do with the question. You now come up with a treatise on how this nonsense actually makes sense.

Biko, I no know book O!
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

cchinukw wrote:
akamoke wrote:Protecting a goal deficit I guess :?
With a winger?

By the wy, I saw Alex defending our goal area more than a few times. :twisted:
You miss the wicked joke in the post.

Rohr believes a 1-0 is appropriate for us in that game.

We are the 4th best team in the group and that is his mission.