What was the tactical reason for subbing out Iwobi?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet
What was the tactical reason for subbing out Iwobi?

Post by Its a Goal »

In all the friendlies leading up to the WC Iwobi was the player who tried to set up the team's attacking moves and was very effective as the creative midfielder more than as a winger where he was often set up to start. I was surprised to see him come off for Musa in the second half and can only conclude he either had a knock that curtailed his impact or he played to instruction thereby limiting his effectiveness. I personally believe taking Iwobi off was a mistake since Mikel was not stamping his authority on the match and Iwobi could have been moved in centrally to dictate the match.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: What was the tactical reason for subbing out Iwobi?

Post by mcal »

...Iwobi was the only or one of the very few spark we had yesterday.
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Maybe to rest him? Hope that doesn't sound silly.
He may still prove important/key player in our next matches.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Was a bit shocked, the man should have bene moved to the midfield and let mikel drop deep
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

kendo wrote:Maybe to rest him? Hope that doesn't sound silly.
He may still prove important/key player in our next matches.
Rest for what? Is he not a professional footballer? In a world cup where we are not expected to play more than 4 matches and where matches are well spaced out? That can't be the reason. Rohr just got confused & cowardly tried to play safe. He didn't learn anything from watching his own team over the past 1 year. His team can do way better than they did yesterday. Anyone that says otherwise was just adopting a pedestrian approach to rationalize yesterday's disgraceful performance.
Last edited by YemiBrazil on Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Its a Goal wrote:In all the friendlies leading up to the WC Iwobi was the player who tried to set up the team's attacking moves and was very effective as the creative midfielder more than as a winger where he was often set up to start. I was surprised to see him come off for Musa in the second half and can only conclude he either had a knock that curtailed his impact or he played to instruction thereby limiting his effectiveness. I personally believe taking Iwobi off was a mistake since Mikel was not stamping his authority on the match and Iwobi could have been moved in centrally to dictate the match.

Rohr is clueless, simple and plain
Oguleftie
Egg
Egg

Post by Oguleftie »

Dumb coaching.
Poor world cup player selection.
Continuing with dragging the wrong players along.
Bad criteria for players training invitation.
Net effect is leading our football into regression.

Result should be a pink slip to the coach.
osita
Egg
Egg

Post by osita »

Oguleftie wrote:Dumb coaching.
Poor world cup player selection.
Continuing with dragging the wrong players along.
Bad criteria for players training invitation.
Net effect is leading our football into regression.

Result should be a pink slip to the coach.
Incompetents means the coach did what he knows best , pick the wrong players because they helped him qualify .

I can’t think of any other reason why he keeps playing Igahlo when simmy and Kelechi are on the bench, why allow mikel play AM, when iwobi can do it with speed and pace.

It is either a sabotage or incompetence, am really confused . Hopefully he is told to leave. And get a coach that understands wha he needs to do.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’ve had to answer this question a few times now...and all I can say is that based on my stadium view, it wasn’t a bad sub. Iwobi looked a bit tired and lost before he was subbed. TV may not capture this, but watching the whole field and positioning on and off the ball, I’d say it was a reasonable sub.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Protecting a goal deficit I guess :?
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

No idea????????????
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

akamoke wrote:Protecting a goal deficit I guess :?
With a winger?

By the wy, I saw Alex defending our goal area more than a few times. :twisted:

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Iwobi was tired and to be honest, must like the rest of them, made little impact on the game.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

The only way Rohr can revive himself is to throw caution to the wind and get us back to our attacking ways, but this is highly dependent on how fit the players are, and if they are not, why not?
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

[color=brown]deanotito[/color] wrote: I’ve had to answer this question a few times now...and all I can say is that based on my stadium view, it wasn’t a bad sub. Iwobi looked a bit tired and lost before he was subbed. TV may not capture this, but watching the whole field and positioning on and off the ball, I’d say it was a reasonable sub.
I noticed he was out of the picture in the 2nd half but could it be a result of him playing out of position? Switching things up could have made him more effective. Footballers playing at this level, especially at Iwobi's age, don't get tired physically but mentally.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Its a Goal wrote:
[color=brown]deanotito[/color] wrote: I’ve had to answer this question a few times now...and all I can say is that based on my stadium view, it wasn’t a bad sub. Iwobi looked a bit tired and lost before he was subbed. TV may not capture this, but watching the whole field and positioning on and off the ball, I’d say it was a reasonable sub.
I noticed he was out of the picture in the 2nd half but could it be a result of him playing out of position? Switching things up could have made him more effective. Footballers playing at this level, especially at Iwobi's age, don't get tired physically but mentally.
But that is where the coach is needed. Not so?

Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

He said he wanted to rest the players for the next game
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Rohr said Iwobi was tired from all the work he did on both sides of the ball.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Resting him.
I knew it. Tbh, Iwobi was one of the only few starting IX I saw play decently.
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Bringing on Musa was the right choice, but at that point I would have taken taken off Ndidi or Mikel instead and moved Iwobi to a more central position.
mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

I think Rohr mentioned that Iwobi was tired because he had to do a lot of defending.

Every Arsenal fan knows that Iwobi tires easily and lasts about 75 minutes or so.

Iwobi is always substituted late in games at Arsenal because of fatigue.

The real shame is why Rohr did not start him at AM from the start.

It would have been a different game.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

olu wrote:Bringing on Musa was the right choice, but at that point I would have taken taken off Ndidi or Mikel instead and moved Iwobi to a more central position.
I am NOT defending coach Rohr, but perhaps someone should tell the coach to play his players in their NATURAL playing positions and let them loose against Iceland. What do we have to lose?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

akamoke wrote:The only way Rohr can revive himself is to throw caution to the wind and get us back to our attacking ways, but this is highly dependent on how fit the players are, and if they are not, why not?
Not when you have a striker who has not scored in like 7 matches and a 19year old keeper who is 3rd choice for his low level club!

Rohr will continue to play a cagey game.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”