Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:42 pm
Posts: 6464
Location: US
Bell wrote:
404 wrote:
The history of the World Cup clearly demonstrates that to become a truly great footballing nation and to win the World Cup you must have a home grown coach who understands your footballing style, it’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, an innovator who understands the modern game is about time and space and how you craft a system of play that exploits time and space using your strengths! African players are physical, fast and have flair that is our natural strength—the question then becomes how do you craft a system of play that allows our strengths to overwhelm other playing styles like the European style of play that is more mechanical and discipline play! May I suggest that because our play is more physical and based on quickness that doesn’t mean it has to be chaotic and devoid of tactical play. What is needed are cerebral indigenous coaches that can formulate a system of play that harness our strengths and success will come if the coaches have a couple of players who have the intelligence to understand the system and like great quarterbacks can have the team implement the coach’s vision. We trying to out play the Europeans or South Americans using their style of play will never get us to the ultimate prize—World Cup Winners! We need to invest in our brightest and best indigenous coaches by giving them the support to be innovative and most importantly being patient with them and giving them the respect they deserve. R.l.P. Coaches Amodu & Keshi


THIS IS NOT A NEW SUBJECT

The veterans on this forum will tell you that this subject was heatedly debated for decades here as the pendulum swung between what was called IC's (indigenous coaches) and FC's (foreign coaches). For a while it looked like Nigeria had become fully committed to the local coaches but swung back to foreign coaches with the hiring of Rohr. It seems there's little patience with the local coaches and are treated shabbily whereas foreign coaches are given an enabling environment. When a Nigerian coach is hired every gov't official thinks he can boss him around and every fan second guesses him. Even the players react by acting differently often coming late to camp.

Just to show you the mentality that sometimes prevail, a former Nigerian FA boss was said to have told people that his greatest regret in charge was not leaving the country with a capable foreign coach after he saw what he considered success by the likes of Cameroon and Ghana. Even the Falcons chimed in asking that they too should be given a foreign coach if one was given to the men. There are some fans who are only comfortable when they see a foreign coach on the Nigerian sideline.

Like the OP, some Nigerians have come to terms that the best option for the country going forward is to use indigenous coaches. However, Nigerians are loathe to do the lifting that comes with trying to accomplish things and are quick to jettison an experiment after the first failure.

What the OP is proposing requires people in the NFF and Sports Ministry to sit down to discuss the permanent way forward; let's hope things like this this cross their mind - too much thinking and too much time required. On my part I've suggested a coaching institution, affiliated with a university, open to other African countries that for coaches in all sports. It would cover specialized classroom courses, seminars and a period of apprenticeship. It fell mostly on deaf ears.
Bell


This is a subject that I am most passionate about.
The fact is that no country has ever won the WC
with a foreign coach. EVERY country that has won
was coached by an indegene.

The most successful football nations in the world,
The trio of Brazil (5 wins), Germany (4wins) and
Italy (4 wins) have never hired a foreign coach,
EVER. These three countries account for well over
half of all WC tournaments. This is HOW the most
successful nations do it. Oh well........

I find it bitterly ironic and a little amusing that we
are coached by a German, whose nation will NEVER
consider a foreign coach.

_________________
Image

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 13499
Location: Here
anikulapo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
404 wrote:
The history of the World Cup clearly demonstrates that to become a truly great footballing nation and to win the World Cup you must have a home grown coach who understands your footballing style, it’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, an innovator who understands the modern game is about time and space and how you craft a system of play that exploits time and space using your strengths! African players are physical, fast and have flair that is our natural strength—the question then becomes how do you craft a system of play that allows our strengths to overwhelm other playing styles like the European style of play that is more mechanical and discipline play! May I suggest that because our play is more physical and based on quickness that doesn’t mean it has to be chaotic and devoid of tactical play. What is needed are cerebral indigenous coaches that can formulate a system of play that harness our strengths and success will come if the coaches have a couple of players who have the intelligence to understand the system and like great quarterbacks can have the team implement the coach’s vision. We trying to out play the Europeans or South Americans using their style of play will never get us to the ultimate prize—World Cup Winners! We need to invest in our brightest and best indigenous coaches by giving them the support to be innovative and most importantly being patient with them and giving them the respect they deserve. R.l.P. Coaches Amodu & Keshi


1. A strong local league is a myth.
Exhibits are The Erivedese, PSL and The Swedish league. Even if Nigeria develops a strong local league, the top SE players will always go to better paying leagues in Europe. The league will also quickly be dominated by top foreign players which will introduce other issues (see EPL), and if they put a cap on foreigners, it will become insular like the PSL.

There are proven methods to developing top players and that is what most people imply when they mention a strong league. It is better to ID those methods then adapt them to local conditions, using indigenous resources instead.

Some might argue that strong leagues also improve coaching, refereeing, player management e.t.c. Well, they do but not to the point where Naija or most African teams would win the WC.

Remember too that Naija picks FB players. Foreign born or snapped up after a youth tournament. A strong league, will not convince a Rohr to ignore UEFA based players.

NB: A league rife with corruption will hurt the game.

2. The myth of youth structures.
What structures are these?
Didn't Naija win the U17 at one point? Didn't they dominate youth tournaments not too long ago? What happened to all those players? They have big tournament experience, good discipline, technical knowhow, e.t.c.
No a strong local league will not keep them from joining the EPL or a better paying Euro club.

3. I agree with your main point of a nation having football style but ..... look at Brazil.
Brazil abandoned their Samba playing style long ago and adopted the Euro style. Now it is hard for them to go back because, most of their players are snapped up early and taken to Europe where the flair is coached out of them.
The pressures to resist that early move are too much. Neymar was one of the few that resisted.
Remember the myth of a strong league? Brazil has decent leagues.... :D

4. Proper local coaching is the way to success.
Instead of the NFF building the Glass house or glorified technical centers with FIFA money, they should train local coaches in every Nigerian village.

That is the secret to tiny Iceland's success where parents who have regular jobs, are part time coaches with UEFA Pro licenses.
Kids consistently get standard quality training from the start.

What makes a big church? The big congregation of citizens. You don't need a big building to have a big church or mosque. The big congregation can do just fine under a tree.

Let the NFF build their congregation of coaches and they will spread the gospel (agitate for better fields, psychologists, physios, e.t.c) but the NFF has to support them all the way to the top. The NFF has never supported their local coaches like they do FCs. Neither has the GFA and many others. Let us sodden look at what Senegal does in Russia.


No wonder east Africa is useless in football. Stick to long distance running my dude.




:rotf:

Why are you laughing?

Empty tins make the loudest noise.....

_________________
"The young Walt Disney was sacked because he lacked imagination. They advised Marilyn Monroe to become a secretary and Elvis to go back to driving a lorry."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:43 pm
Posts: 23775
Location: london
Always advocated for a strong local league, nigerian footballers should be able to earn a decent living in the NPL league, the core of the national team should be from the top Nigerian sides who should be able to rub shoulders with the best worldwide, dont give me that crap about no money in Nigeria, do you know how much the premiership gets from selling TV rights to Nigeria? Several millions pounds yearly, so the money is not the problem, if the government and the private sector lays the foundation, i see no reason why the NPL cannot be the best in Africa, it should be the league that africans aspire to play in

Imagine the league having 6 top solid strong sides, can you imagine the world class players it will produce for the national team, it will also produce strong local coaches

These foreign coaches are nothing but mercenaries, give them local contracts and see how many will be interested in the job, how can you pay a coach over 30K USD monthly to lecture you about learning in the world cup?

They dont care and will never, they just need the extra pension, Nigeria paid Sweden coach Lagerback 300K pounds for a 6 months contract only to perform woeful at the world cup

Enough is enough but in 4 years, we will be opening another thread on another useless foreign coach

_________________
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:13 pm
Posts: 114
Nigerians go abroad and scream discrimination when they don't get the job they want. Yet they do the exact thing to themselves.

It's fucken unbelievable when you really think about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 37561
Location: From the place where hardcore is beautiful
realtrouble wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
404 wrote:
The history of the World Cup clearly demonstrates that to become a truly great footballing nation and to win the World Cup you must have a home grown coach who understands your footballing style, it’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, an innovator who understands the modern game is about time and space and how you craft a system of play that exploits time and space using your strengths! African players are physical, fast and have flair that is our natural strength—the question then becomes how do you craft a system of play that allows our strengths to overwhelm other playing styles like the European style of play that is more mechanical and discipline play! May I suggest that because our play is more physical and based on quickness that doesn’t mean it has to be chaotic and devoid of tactical play. What is needed are cerebral indigenous coaches that can formulate a system of play that harness our strengths and success will come if the coaches have a couple of players who have the intelligence to understand the system and like great quarterbacks can have the team implement the coach’s vision. We trying to out play the Europeans or South Americans using their style of play will never get us to the ultimate prize—World Cup Winners! We need to invest in our brightest and best indigenous coaches by giving them the support to be innovative and most importantly being patient with them and giving them the respect they deserve. R.l.P. Coaches Amodu & Keshi


1. A strong local league is a myth.
Exhibits are The Erivedese, PSL and The Swedish league. Even if Nigeria develops a strong local league, the top SE players will always go to better paying leagues in Europe. The league will also quickly be dominated by top foreign players which will introduce other issues (see EPL), and if they put a cap on foreigners, it will become insular like the PSL.

There are proven methods to developing top players and that is what most people imply when they mention a strong league. It is better to ID those methods then adapt them to local conditions, using indigenous resources instead.

Some might argue that strong leagues also improve coaching, refereeing, player management e.t.c. Well, they do but not to the point where Naija or most African teams would win the WC.

Remember too that Naija picks FB players. Foreign born or snapped up after a youth tournament. A strong league, will not convince a Rohr to ignore UEFA based players.

NB: A league rife with corruption will hurt the game.
.


The administrators, managers, coach, and referees can only be developed within a functional football league, without a supply chain of talented official Nigeria can never develop the players.


Ask him what an east African knows about football.

_________________
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Bigpokey24 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Owiny Sigoma who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:42 pm
Posts: 6464
Location: US
marko wrote:
Always advocated for a strong local league, nigerian footballers should be able to earn a decent living in the NPL league, the core of the national team should be from the top Nigerian sides who should be able to rub shoulders with the best worldwide, dont give me that crap about no money in Nigeria, do you know how much the premiership gets from selling TV rights to Nigeria? Several millions pounds yearly, so the money is not the problem, if the government and the private sector lays the foundation, i see no reason why the NPL cannot be the best in Africa, it should be the league that africans aspire to play in

Imagine the league having 6 top solid strong sides, can you imagine the world class players it will produce for the national team, it will also produce strong local coaches

These foreign coaches are nothing but mercenaries, give them local contracts and see how many will be interested in the job, how can you pay a coach over 30K USD monthly to lecture you about learning in the world cup?

They dont care and will never, they just need the extra pension, Nigeria paid Sweden coach Lagerback 300K pounds for a 6 months contract only to perform woeful at the world cup

Enough is enough but in 4 years, we will be opening another thread on another useless foreign coach


I couldn't agree more.
:agree: :clap: :clap:

_________________
Image

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 37561
Location: From the place where hardcore is beautiful
marko wrote:
Always advocated for a strong local league, nigerian footballers should be able to earn a decent living in the NPL league, the core of the national team should be from the top Nigerian sides who should be able to rub shoulders with the best worldwide, dont give me that crap about no money in Nigeria, do you know how much the premiership gets from selling TV rights to Nigeria? Several millions pounds yearly, so the money is not the problem, if the government and the private sector lays the foundation, i see no reason why the NPL cannot be the best in Africa, it should be the league that africans aspire to play in

Imagine the league having 6 top solid strong sides, can you imagine the world class players it will produce for the national team, it will also produce strong local coaches

These foreign coaches are nothing but mercenaries, give them local contracts and see how many will be interested in the job, how can you pay a coach over 30K USD monthly to lecture you about learning in the world cup?

They dont care and will never, they just need the extra pension, Nigeria paid Sweden coach Lagerback 300K pounds for a 6 months contract only to perform woeful at the world cup

Enough is enough but in 4 years, we will be opening another thread on another useless foreign coach


:clap: :clap: :clap:

_________________
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Bigpokey24 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Owiny Sigoma who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:48 pm
Posts: 21698
The problem is actually foreign players and weak local league. We saw what all home-based Cameroon did in 1990. A strong local league couple with local coach is the solution. In Europe, our boyz don't get to express themselves, they force them to become defenders and water carriers.

_________________
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:32 pm
Posts: 399
ohenhen1 wrote:
Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy and France. All world cup winners since 1990. All have strong leagues. A strong league is not a myth. Also the Dutch league is not weak. It serves it purpose which is to nuture young talent. Our young players move to India, Cyprus to play.


These are all developed economies or emerging economies (eg Brazil). No developing African country with poor economy can have a strong league. You can pretend and waste your time all you want. No sane and good Nigerian player will stay in Nigeria to receive peanuts when the choice of making good money in Europe stares him in the face. It is just impossible at the moment to have a strong comparative league in Africa. It's all about the economy. Even having a good economy will not guarantee any success in soccer. The most important factor in winning the world cup is the abundance of natural, true world class talents, without which nothing can be achieved at the world stage. If these talents are not there, no amount of development, coaching, strong league will make the difference. These countries have been performing and winning the world cup because of the abundance of super talents, first and foremost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:30 am
Posts: 4338
mastermind wrote:
The problem is actually foreign players and weak local league. We saw what all home-based Cameroon did in 1990. A strong local league couple with local coach is the solution. In Europe, our boyz don't get to express themselves, they force them to become defenders and water carriers.

All home-based Cameroon in 1990?

Italia 90 Squad

Cameroon Cameroon
Head coach: Soviet Union Valeri Nepomniachi

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Club
16 GK Thomas N'Kono 20 July 1956 (aged 33) 57 Spain Espanyol
9 FW Roger Milla 20 May 1952 (aged 38) 56 Réunion JS Saint-Pierroise
11 FW Eugène Ekéké 30 May 1960 (aged 30) N/A France Valenciennes
20 MF Cyrille Makanaky 28 June 1965 (aged 24) N/A France Toulon
22 GK Jacques Songo'o 17 March 1964 (aged 26) 38 France Toulon
7 FW François Omam-Biyik 21 May 1966 (aged 24) 34 France Stade Lavallois
2 DF André Kana-Biyik 1 September 1965 (aged 24) 41 France Metz
8 MF Emile M'Bouh 30 May 1966 (aged 24) 38 France Le Havre
13 DF Jean-Claude Pagal 15 September 1964 (aged 25) N/A France La Roche Vendée
4 DF Benjamin Massing 20 June 1962 (aged 27) N/A France Créteil
1 GK Joseph-Antoine Bell 8 October 1954 (aged 35) N/A France Bordeaux
18 FW Bonaventure Djonkep 20 August 1961 (aged 28) 49 Cameroon Union Douala
19 MF Roger Feutmba 31 October 1968 (aged 21) N/A Cameroon Union Douala
5 DF Bertin Ebwellé 11 September 1962 (aged 27) 16 Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
14 DF Stephen Tataw (c) 31 March 1963 (aged 27) 29 Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
15 MF Thomas Libiih 17 November 1967 (aged 22) N/A Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
6 DF Emmanuel Kundé 15 July 1956 (aged 33) 82 Cameroon Prévoyance Yaoundé
3 MF Jules Onana 12 June 1964 (aged 25) 6 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
10 MF Louis-Paul M'Fédé 26 February 1962 (aged 28) 40 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
12 DF Alphonse Yombi 30 June 1969 (aged 20) N/A Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
17 DF Victor N'Dip 20 August 1967 (aged 22) 16 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
21 MF Emmanuel Maboang 27 November 1968 (aged 21) N/A Cameroon Canon Yaoundé


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 37561
Location: From the place where hardcore is beautiful
Ahidjo wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Spain, Brazil, Germany, Italy and France. All world cup winners since 1990. All have strong leagues. A strong league is not a myth. Also the Dutch league is not weak. It serves it purpose which is to nuture young talent. Our young players move to India, Cyprus to play.


These are all developed economies or emerging economies (eg Brazil). No developing African country with poor economy can have a strong league. You can pretend and waste your time all you want. No sane and good Nigerian player will stay in Nigeria to receive peanuts when the choice of making good money in Europe stares him in the face. It is just impossible at the moment to have a strong comparative league in Africa. It's all about the economy. Even having a good economy will not guarantee any success in soccer. The most important factor in winning the world cup is the abundance of natural, true world class talents, without which nothing can be achieved at the world stage. If these talents are not there, no amount of development, coaching, strong league will make the difference. These countries have been performing and winning the world cup because of the abundance of super talents, first and foremost.

Complete and utter nonsense. You don't have to wait to be an industrialized country to have a good league that pays well. How come our entertainers like our singers and actors are well paid?

_________________
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Bigpokey24 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Owiny Sigoma who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 am
Posts: 6552
Ghana will win Qatar 2022

_________________
Boycott Russia 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:37 pm
Posts: 53699
Location: USA
Kabalega wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
404 wrote:
The history of the World Cup clearly demonstrates that to become a truly great footballing nation and to win the World Cup you must have a home grown coach who understands your footballing style, it’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, an innovator who understands the modern game is about time and space and how you craft a system of play that exploits time and space using your strengths! African players are physical, fast and have flair that is our natural strength—the question then becomes how do you craft a system of play that allows our strengths to overwhelm other playing styles like the European style of play that is more mechanical and discipline play! May I suggest that because our play is more physical and based on quickness that doesn’t mean it has to be chaotic and devoid of tactical play. What is needed are cerebral indigenous coaches that can formulate a system of play that harness our strengths and success will come if the coaches have a couple of players who have the intelligence to understand the system and like great quarterbacks can have the team implement the coach’s vision. We trying to out play the Europeans or South Americans using their style of play will never get us to the ultimate prize—World Cup Winners! We need to invest in our brightest and best indigenous coaches by giving them the support to be innovative and most importantly being patient with them and giving them the respect they deserve. R.l.P. Coaches Amodu & Keshi


1. A strong local league is a myth.
Exhibits are The Erivedese, PSL and The Swedish league. Even if Nigeria develops a strong local league, the top SE players will always go to better paying leagues in Europe. The league will also quickly be dominated by top foreign players which will introduce other issues (see EPL), and if they put a cap on foreigners, it will become insular like the PSL.

There are proven methods to developing top players and that is what most people imply when they mention a strong league. It is better to ID those methods then adapt them to local conditions, using indigenous resources instead.

Some might argue that strong leagues also improve coaching, refereeing, player management e.t.c. Well, they do but not to the point where Naija or most African teams would win the WC.

Remember too that Naija picks FB players. Foreign born or snapped up after a youth tournament. A strong league, will not convince a Rohr to ignore UEFA based players.

NB: A league rife with corruption will hurt the game.

2. The myth of youth structures.
What structures are these?
Didn't Naija win the U17 at one point? Didn't they dominate youth tournaments not too long ago? What happened to all those players? They have big tournament experience, good discipline, technical knowhow, e.t.c.
No a strong local league will not keep them from joining the EPL or a better paying Euro club.

3. I agree with your main point of a nation having football style but ..... look at Brazil.
Brazil abandoned their Samba playing style long ago and adopted the Euro style. Now it is hard for them to go back because, most of their players are snapped up early and taken to Europe where the flair is coached out of them.
The pressures to resist that early move are too much. Neymar was one of the few that resisted.
Remember the myth of a strong league? Brazil has decent leagues.... :D

4. Proper local coaching is the way to success.
Instead of the NFF building the Glass house or glorified technical centers with FIFA money, they should train local coaches in every Nigerian village.

That is the secret to tiny Iceland's success where parents who have regular jobs, are part time coaches with UEFA Pro licenses.
Kids consistently get standard quality training from the start.

What makes a big church? The big congregation of citizens. You don't need a big building to have a big church or mosque. The big congregation can do just fine under a tree.

Let the NFF build their congregation of coaches and they will spread the gospel (agitate for better fields, psychologists, physios, e.t.c) but the NFF has to support them all the way to the top. The NFF has never supported their local coaches like they do FCs. Neither has the GFA and many others. Let us sodden look at what Senegal does in Russia.


No wonder east Africa is useless in football. Stick to long distance running my dude.




:rotf:

Why are you laughing?

Empty tins make the loudest noise.....



E dey pain you ? :taunt: :rotf:

_________________
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:37 pm
Posts: 53699
Location: USA
folem wrote:
mastermind wrote:
The problem is actually foreign players and weak local league. We saw what all home-based Cameroon did in 1990. A strong local league couple with local coach is the solution. In Europe, our boyz don't get to express themselves, they force them to become defenders and water carriers.

All home-based Cameroon in 1990?

Italia 90 Squad

Cameroon Cameroon
Head coach: Soviet Union Valeri Nepomniachi

No. Pos. Player Date of birth (age) Caps Club
16 GK Thomas N'Kono 20 July 1956 (aged 33) 57 Spain Espanyol
9 FW Roger Milla 20 May 1952 (aged 38) 56 Réunion JS Saint-Pierroise
11 FW Eugène Ekéké 30 May 1960 (aged 30) N/A France Valenciennes
20 MF Cyrille Makanaky 28 June 1965 (aged 24) N/A France Toulon
22 GK Jacques Songo'o 17 March 1964 (aged 26) 38 France Toulon
7 FW François Omam-Biyik 21 May 1966 (aged 24) 34 France Stade Lavallois
2 DF André Kana-Biyik 1 September 1965 (aged 24) 41 France Metz
8 MF Emile M'Bouh 30 May 1966 (aged 24) 38 France Le Havre
13 DF Jean-Claude Pagal 15 September 1964 (aged 25) N/A France La Roche Vendée
4 DF Benjamin Massing 20 June 1962 (aged 27) N/A France Créteil
1 GK Joseph-Antoine Bell 8 October 1954 (aged 35) N/A France Bordeaux
18 FW Bonaventure Djonkep 20 August 1961 (aged 28) 49 Cameroon Union Douala
19 MF Roger Feutmba 31 October 1968 (aged 21) N/A Cameroon Union Douala
5 DF Bertin Ebwellé 11 September 1962 (aged 27) 16 Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
14 DF Stephen Tataw (c) 31 March 1963 (aged 27) 29 Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
15 MF Thomas Libiih 17 November 1967 (aged 22) N/A Cameroon Tonnerre Yaoundé
6 DF Emmanuel Kundé 15 July 1956 (aged 33) 82 Cameroon Prévoyance Yaoundé
3 MF Jules Onana 12 June 1964 (aged 25) 6 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
10 MF Louis-Paul M'Fédé 26 February 1962 (aged 28) 40 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
12 DF Alphonse Yombi 30 June 1969 (aged 20) N/A Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
17 DF Victor N'Dip 20 August 1967 (aged 22) 16 Cameroon Canon Yaoundé
21 MF Emmanuel Maboang 27 November 1968 (aged 21) N/A Cameroon Canon Yaoundé



:rotf:

_________________
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 36658
Location: UK
Kabalega wrote:
404 wrote:
The history of the World Cup clearly demonstrates that to become a truly great footballing nation and to win the World Cup you must have a home grown coach who understands your footballing style, it’s strengths and weaknesses. More importantly, an innovator who understands the modern game is about time and space and how you craft a system of play that exploits time and space using your strengths! African players are physical, fast and have flair that is our natural strength—the question then becomes how do you craft a system of play that allows our strengths to overwhelm other playing styles like the European style of play that is more mechanical and discipline play! May I suggest that because our play is more physical and based on quickness that doesn’t mean it has to be chaotic and devoid of tactical play. What is needed are cerebral indigenous coaches that can formulate a system of play that harness our strengths and success will come if the coaches have a couple of players who have the intelligence to understand the system and like great quarterbacks can have the team implement the coach’s vision. We trying to out play the Europeans or South Americans using their style of play will never get us to the ultimate prize—World Cup Winners! We need to invest in our brightest and best indigenous coaches by giving them the support to be innovative and most importantly being patient with them and giving them the respect they deserve. R.l.P. Coaches Amodu & Keshi


1. A strong local league is a myth.
Exhibits are The Erivedese, PSL and The Swedish league. Even if Nigeria develops a strong local league, the top SE players will always go to better paying leagues in Europe. The league will also quickly be dominated by top foreign players which will introduce other issues (see EPL), and if they put a cap on foreigners, it will become insular like the PSL.

There are proven methods to developing top players and that is what most people imply when they mention a strong league. It is better to ID those methods then adapt them to local conditions, using indigenous resources instead.

Some might argue that strong leagues also improve coaching, refereeing, player management e.t.c. Well, they do but not to the point where Naija or most African teams would win the WC.

Remember too that Naija picks FB players. Foreign born or snapped up after a youth tournament. A strong league, will not convince a Rohr to ignore UEFA based players.

NB: A league rife with corruption will hurt the game.

2. The myth of youth structures.
What structures are these?
Didn't Naija win the U17 at one point? Didn't they dominate youth tournaments not too long ago? What happened to all those players? They have big tournament experience, good discipline, technical knowhow, e.t.c.
No a strong local league will not keep them from joining the EPL or a better paying Euro club.

3. I agree with your main point of a nation having football style but ..... look at Brazil.
Brazil abandoned their Samba playing style long ago and adopted the Euro style. Now it is hard for them to go back because, most of their players are snapped up early and taken to Europe where the flair is coached out of them.
The pressures to resist that early move are too much. Neymar was one of the few that resisted.
Remember the myth of a strong league? Brazil has decent leagues.... :D

4. Proper local coaching is the way to success.
Instead of the NFF building the Glass house or glorified technical centers with FIFA money, they should train local coaches in every Nigerian village.

That is the secret to tiny Iceland's success where parents who have regular jobs, are part time coaches with UEFA Pro licenses.
Kids consistently get standard quality training from the start.

What makes a big church? The big congregation of citizens. You don't need a big building to have a big church or mosque. The big congregation can do just fine under a tree.

Let the NFF build their congregation of coaches and they will spread the gospel (agitate for better fields, psychologists, physios, e.t.c) but the NFF has to support them all the way to the top. The NFF has never supported their local coaches like they do FCs. Neither has the GFA and many others. Let us sodden look at what Senegal does in Russia.
I think yu make some great points.
I hope they will be addressed further down the line becos ,e I dey busyright now and cant complete reading the thread....

_________________
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bepanda, Google [Bot], zee and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group