Looking at the SE vs Croatia stats

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Looking at the SE vs Croatia stats

Post by YUJAM »

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/m ... match-info
Interesting fact about the game is when you look at the stats none of the players performed badly. Even Obi who was criticized by many covered over 9 KM and did some sprinting. Etebo and Ndidi covered over 1OKM each.

Please check out Player and Tracking stats. One thing that’s clear is Rohr played too conservatively. Additionally the half backs rarely attacked with both of them in the attacking third around 8.5% of the time. Iwobi, Moses and Mikel spent lower percentage of time in the attacking third than their counterparts. Overall the passing stats and times were very similar between the two sides.

You simply can’t win playing as conservatively as the team did yesterday which unfortunately is down to Rohr. Seems like he gave the Cristians too much respect.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Looking at the SE vs Croatia stats

Post by deanotito »

I would say this jives with what I saw. Nobody really played bad...apart from Ekong on set pieces
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:I would say this jives with what I saw. Nobody really played bad...apart from Ekong on set pieces
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Exactly Bros! Jogging 9KM achieving little or nothing is the purpose of football...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

YUJAM wrote:https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/m ... match-info
Interesting fact about the game is when you look at the stats none of the players performed badly. Even Obi who was criticized by many covered over 9 KM and did some sprinting. Etebo and Ndidi covered over 1OKM each.

Please check out Player and Tracking stats. One thing that’s clear is Rohr played too conservatively. Additionally the half backs rarely attacked with both of them in the attacking third around 8.5% of the time. Iwobi, Moses and Mikel spent lower percentage of time in the attacking third than their counterparts. Overall the passing stats and times were very similar between the two sides.

You simply can’t win playing as conservatively as the team did yesterday which unfortunately is down to Rohr. Seems like he gave the Cristians too much respect.

Kpom! We should stop actually watching games and just check the "stats" afterwards...
Would expect this from OGOLO, who's from a long-distance running country, but from a West African?!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Was this a long distance competition?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote:

Kpom! We should stop actually watching games and just check the "stats" afterwards...
Would expect this from OGOLO, who's from a long-distance running country, but from a West African?!
Looks like Gotti has overcome his initial grief & is ready to issue bitterness to a number of people tonight.

I will just sit back & enjoy the action.

Kai, dis Rohr really did us 419.

I really thought he not showing his hand throughout the friendlies & showed us a glimpse of how he would set the team up with the 2nd half display vs England. Not knowing the guy was going to force the team into his low expectations for an African side based on his narrow perception of rankings and strengths based on the club of the players.

Yesterdays match could have been the Serbia, Czech or England game (1st half) all over again.

Anyway, I leave the forum for the wordsmiths.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

According to a few sites, Etebo and Ndidi scored higher than any Croatian.

Whoscored.com have them both above Modric and just under Rakitic.

We didn't technically do Michael wrong, except for fail to threaten the opposition goal.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Gotti wrote:
deanotito wrote:I would say this jives with what I saw. Nobody really played bad...apart from Ekong on set pieces

Exactly Bros! Jogging 9KM achieving little or nothing is the purpose of football...
Chief are you implying Obi jogged around for 9 KM?
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote:Looks like Gotti has overcome his initial grief & is ready to issue bitterness to a number of people tonight.

Kai, dis Rohr really did us *****.

I really thought he not showing his hand throughout the friendlies & showed us a glimpse of how he would set the team up with the 2nd half display vs England. Not knowing the guy was going to force the team into his low expectations for an African side based on his narrow perception of rankings and strengths based on the club of the players.

Yesterdays match could have been the Serbia, Czech or England game (1st half) all over again.

Bros, I am not bitter at all with my team just with folks on here peddling snake-oil...

I always felt this would be a tricky (even tough) WC for us, but still if we manage to beat Iceland (and frankly we should, although it will not be easy at all) we may climb to SECOND position in our Group (dependent somewhat on the result of the other group match. That's when we will truly discover what mettle this group of Super Eagles are made of! GOOD LUCK to them - I still believe!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Gotti wrote:
truetalk wrote:Looks like Gotti has overcome his initial grief & is ready to issue bitterness to a number of people tonight.

Bros, I am not bitter at all with my team just with folks on here peddling snake-oil...

I always felt this would be a tricky (even tough) WC for us, but still if we manage to beat Iceland (and frankly we should, although it will not be easy at all) we may climb to SECOND position in our Group (dependent somewhat on the result of the other group match. That's when we will truly discover what mettle this group of Super Eagles are made of! GOOD LUCK to them - I still believe!
... me too!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Here is what I noticed:

1) Croatia was more effective on the wings than Nigeria. That is considering that Nigeria chased the game for 2/3 of the match. Look at the heat maps of the wide players.

2) The heatmap shows that Mikel Obi was why the attack was impotent. Contrast his positioning versus Kramaric. Obi was playing deeper than wide attackers Iwobi and Moses and offering nothing for the lone striker.

3) Iwobi was playing narrow rather than exploiting the wings but was effectively getting into the right shooting positions at the edge of the box.

4) Moses wing play was lots of perspiration with little impact. Contrast his heatmap with Perisic for example.

5) Look at how Etebo played very central and was bombing forward at every opportunity.

SOLUTIONS

1) Clearly Idowu needed someone on the left to interchange with. Iheanacho on the left is a better option than Iwobi.

2) Mikel should play on the left side of the defensive midfield to cover and to make passes.

3) On the right we need to play Iwobi as a forward ahead of Moses since Moses likes to hug the touchline

4) Etebo should play in the central attacking midfield position in support of the forwards

5) Moses should play the RB position which will allow an element of surprise to the attack.

This is how I would line up:

---------------- Uzoho ----------------

------ Ekong ---- Balogun ---- Ogu ------

-- Moses - Ndidi -------- Mikel - Idowu --

-------------------- Etebo ------------------

------- Iwobi --------- Iheanacho -------
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Gotti wrote:

I always felt this would be a tricky (even tough) WC for us, but still if we manage to beat Iceland (and frankly we should, although it will not be easy at all)
we may climb to SECOND position in our Group (dependent somewhat on the result of the other group match. That's when we will truly
discover what mettle this group of Super Eagles are made of!
GOOD LUCK to them - I still believe!
This is a better response to the SE loss, unlike the freaking out lamentations and panicking.
We can still make it to the next round, albeit quite a tough row to hoe.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Some interesting data. Notice how Croatia worked the wings and how the top sprinters in Croatia were their attackers while putting Nigeria on the back foot. Both midfields were fighting for possession and it is clear that Modric plus Rakitic won the war. But contrast Modric's attacking numbers to Mikel's numbers and Modric SPRINTED 40 times in the match while Mikel just 19. But aside from Mikel alone you can see why the attack is so blunt. They are playing tip-tap short passing ball waiting for the opposing defence to setup. Musa who played just 32 minutes sprinted MORE than both Iwobi and Ighalo did for two thirds of the match. Of course Musa did his usual headless chicken routine. But the lesson should be clear. The attack needs to be faster. Passes need to be released quicker.

NIGERIA DISTANCE COVERED IN POSSESSION (TOP)

Ndidi - 3,625m
Etebo - 3,518m
Mikel - 3,391m

Croatia DISTANCE COVERED IN POSSESSION (TOP)

Vrsaljko - 4,356m
Perisic - 4,254m
Modric - 4,148m
Rakitic - 4,183m

NIGERIA SPRINTS

Idowu (46)
Shehu (41)
Moses (34)
Ndidi (30)
Ekong (29)
Iwobi (23) :shock:
Ighalo (21) :shock:
Mikel (19) :shock:

CROATIA SPRINTS
Perisic (58)
Rebic (46)
Mandzujic (44)
VRSALJKO (42)
Modric (40)
KRAMARIC (32)

NIGERIA TIME SPENT IN ATTACKING THIRD (TOP THREE)
Ighalo (36%)
Iwobi (26%)
Mikel (23%)
Moses (22%)

CROATIA TIME SPENT IN ATTACKING THIRD (TOP THREE)
Mandzujic (35%)
Rebic (32%)
Perisic (27%)
Kramaric (24%)
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

truetalk wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Looks like Gotti has overcome his initial grief & is ready to issue bitterness to a number of people tonight.

Rohr’s thinking is that we have qualified from the group of death from Africa, and that should be our WC victory. Now it’s time to lay down and roll over.
...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. - Phil. 2: 12

...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. - Josh. 24: 15

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Odas wrote:
Gotti wrote:

... me too!
Same here! This team has waaayyyyy more to offer than that awful cowardly display against Croatia.

"You need to grow up and respect the fact that people can disagree with you without you getting personal about it. People have a right to express their opinion and you have no right to try and suppress the rights of others because you do not like or disagree with it." - Waffiman
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

YUJAM wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Chief are you implying Obi jogged around for 9 KM?
I think he is implying he and most of the rest ran around aimlessly. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Thank you sir.

After watching the game again, I have seen clearly that we didn't play badly. We just did not go all out to win the match. And I blame Rohr for this. Croatia would have been the one to go all out and beat. They are the ones whose game is best suited for our all out attack play. Iceland will be more difficult to breakdown and Argentina's attack will most likely be too much for us to defend against.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

according to FIFA these are the top speeds clocked by our players. Some of it is shocking.

Kms/hr

Moses – 31.72
Troost – 31.72
Mikel – 30.6
Musa – 30.17
Balogun – 30.17
Iwobi - 29.92
Idowu – 28.8
Etebo – 28.58
Shehu – 28.58
Iheanacho – 28.12
Ndidi – 27
Nwankwo - 23.4
Ighalo – 23.04

So in the little time Iheanacho was on the pitch , he already clocked a higher speed BY FAR, than Ighalo

Abeg this Ighalo is far too lazy, he must not be the lone striker again. Nacho must play 90 minutes

I am surprised by the speeds clocked by Troost, Mikel, and Balogun

Are they not supposed to be very slow players ?
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

vancity eagle wrote:according to FIFA these are the top speeds clocked by our players. Some of it is shocking.

Kms/hr

Moses – 31.72
Troost – 31.72
Mikel – 30.6
Musa – 30.17
Balogun – 30.17
Iwobi - 29.92
Idowu – 28.8
Etebo – 28.58
Shehu – 28.58
Iheanacho – 28.12
Ndidi – 27
Nwankwo - 23.4
Ighalo – 23.04

So in the little time Iheanacho was on the pitch , he already clocked a higher speed BY FAR, than Ighalo

Abeg this Ighalo is far too lazy, he must not be the lone striker again. Nacho must play 90 minutes

Go and re-watch the game and you will be surprised at what you will see.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

vancity eagle wrote:according to FIFA these are the top speeds clocked by our players. Some of it is shocking.

Kms/hr

Moses – 31.72
Troost – 31.72
Mikel – 30.6
Musa – 30.17
Balogun – 30.17
Iwobi - 29.92
Idowu – 28.8
Etebo – 28.58
Shehu – 28.58
Iheanacho – 28.12
Ndidi – 27
Nwankwo - 23.4
Ighalo – 23.04

Guy, if you are slow, it does not mean you are "lazy'.
And besides, you need the space to attain a high speed.
Don't read too much into these speeds. The interpretation can be misleading
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
elerineye
Egg
Egg

Post by elerineye »

Lolly wrote:

Kms/hr

Moses – 31.72
Troost – 31.72
Mikel – 30.6
Musa – 30.17
Balogun – 30.17
Iwobi - 29.92
Idowu – 28.8
Etebo – 28.58
Shehu – 28.58
Iheanacho – 28.12
Ndidi – 27
Nwankwo - 23.4
Ighalo – 23.04

Go and re-watch the game and you will be surprised at what you will see.
...and after re-watching he’ll see that we actually won 3-2.
Last edited by elerineye on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Kms/hr

Moses – 31.72
Troost – 31.72
Mikel – 30.6
Musa – 30.17
Balogun – 30.17
Iwobi - 29.92
Idowu – 28.8
Etebo – 28.58
Shehu – 28.58
Iheanacho – 28.12
Ndidi – 27
Nwankwo - 23.4
Ighalo – 23.04

Top speed is based on run distance. Moses ran the most. Mikels time was when he chased a ball with modric who beat him to it before he stripped him of the ball and crossed it to our useless striker Ighalo.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Odas wrote:
Gotti wrote:

... me too!
+1
To stop trying is to start dying